Quantum & Anthem Photo Review - Food Focus - All Specialty and Dynamic Dining

When I looked through my photos I realised that my first visit to Jamie’s Italian was not on Day 1, but Day 2. Proves that it is not only wisdom that comes with age. :) Now that I see the photos I remember that because of my big breakfast at the hotel, I had a light lunch at Michael’s Genuine Pub. I know I usually try to avoid the Windjammer on boarding; and judging by how busy it was throughout the rest of the cruise, it was a wise decision.

Michaels%20Pub%20from%20above-2357_zpsmsfl88l3.jpg

Michaels%20interior%2010-8482_zpsmf6z8dgx.jpg

Michaels%20interior%203-8485_zpse9dekkzm.jpg

Michaels%20interior%204-8486_zpss8ln6jgn.jpg

Michaels%20bar%20real-8484_zpscmmv5lg1.jpg

Michaels%20bar%20waiter-9440_zpscfc3nxqn.jpg

Quantum%20Michaels%20Bar%20diners-9446_zps8y5w1qfe.jpg

Quantum%20Michaels%20Menu-0001_zps3amo1wke.jpg

Quantum%20Michaels%20Drinks-0002_zpsxdisfago.jpg

Chicken Liver Crostini and Falafel…

Quantum%20Michaels%20Food-9452_zps1zvlrq90.jpg

Those of you who read my Oasis review will know how enthusiastic I was about 150 Central Park, which to this day still remains the venue that served my two best ever meals at sea. So when I heard that Michael Schwartz would be the person behind the food in this pub, I was really quite eagerly anticipating some inspired culinary treats. Now I only had two dishes, and knowing my luck I may well have chosen the wrong things, but this food was just ok; perfectly pleasant and the sort of food that, if served at a drinks party, you would say it was good. However for me there was nothing exciting or special about either item. Frankly, it was not worth paying one cent extra over the cruise fare, when I could have eaten better at Café TWO70.

I also had a pint of the Brooklyn Lager that was on tap. I love real ale and know little about American beer, but this brew was just the sort of typical bland lager, that relies on CO2, rather than flavour, to make the taste buds tingle. One more thing, the interior décor is very gloomy. I know the intent behind all the dark wood but the end result just did not work for me. All things considered, a very disappointing experience...:(

Grazie Megacruiser!! I' m following you form Rome.!!! I don't know when, but one day I will board one of these ships. Please don't stop writing, it' s so interesting!!! Ciaooooo

Hello. Delighted to read your comment. I haven't yet abandoned a review before completing it... Feedback does really helps keep the motivation going, so thanks for taking the time to comment.

Kind regards

megacruiser

I want to go NOW!! Not going on Anthem until 9 months from now!!

Thanks for contributing. I am booked on Anthem at end of September ,so the information here will be updated with all the latest developments that take place between now and then.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thanks for another amazing review! Planning to book Anthem in the future.

Hello. Nice to hear from you again. If sailing from Southampton or the New York area, there is no better option than Quantum Class ships.

Kind regards

megacruiser

We were docked beside the 911 Memorial in Bayonne…

Quantum%20911%20memorial-9392_zpsztkdlakj.jpg

The adverse weather had impacted many travel arrangements and our departure was delayed until well after dark. My port side balcony got a great view towards the Statue of Liberty, Freedom Tower and the Manhattan skyline.

Quantum%20Liberty%20Frredom%20view-9519_zpstpoc0qss.jpg

Hello. Nice to hear from you again. If sailing from Southampton or the New York area, there is no better option than Quantum Class ships.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thanks, very excited for the rest of your photo review!

Anthem will be sailing from a port that is very close to us so we are very excited. We have always wanted to try the Oasis Class and Quantum Class ships!

Great photo (port side)! If you ever come back to the area, you should take the ferry to Ellis Island. It's incredible! The Statue is beautiful, but the history of Ellis Island is just amazing!

Hello Overtyme and thanks for your ongoing contribution. I really appreciate knowing if folk are following and interested.

Thanks for the suggestion. One day I might just manage to get to Ellis Island. So many places to see, so little time (off work). Mind you, I understand that in the USA, five weeks holiday a year might seem generous, but not so much so here in Europe...

Kind regards

megacruiser

Would u, by any chance, be in "my" sailing? :)

Yes indeed, I am on the September 28th sailing. So you can compare our impressions when I add in that cruise to this review.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Megacruiser: great photos; I particularly love the night photo of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan. (If it's not too much trouble: what camera/lens were you shooting there and at what setttings? Thanks.)

Hello again and thanks for liking my photos. My main camera is a Fuji XE2. I bought the less expensive kit zoom lens (50-230mm) that is intended for the XM1 and XA1, as I honestly hardly ever take zoom photos, so couldn't justify the cost of a better lens.

It took almost ten attempts to get that shot, because without a tripod, it is very difficult to keep the camera steady enough to avoid blur. I leaned on the balcony railing to try to minimise camera shake.

The metadata shows it was shot at 152mm, F6.2, 1/15th sec and ISO 6400. Hope that helps.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thanks, very excited for the rest of your photo review!

Anthem will be sailing from a port that is very close to us so we are very excited. We have always wanted to try the Oasis Class and Quantum Class ships!

Thanks again.

As I think you know, I believe in being absolutely honest in my appraisal; otherwise there is no point in my doing these reviews. I am not employed by cruise lines to write only about the positives. My Oasis review may have appeared that way, but only because it was so fantastic...

Any negatives that I report are not to simply find fault, but by way of letting others know how I rated things by comparison to others I have experienced. I know this may alienate some but then how helpful is a review that ignores the shortcomings?

Kind regards

megacruiser

I had pre-booked Wonderland for the first and last night of the cruise. In the absence of 150 Central Park, this was undoubtedly the dining experience that most piqued my curiosity. I had hoped it would be along the lines of Heston Blumenthal’s legendary Fat Duck restaurant; but obviously not to that exceptional standard. Blumenthal is a master of molecular gastronomy but no matter how weird the dishes are, they have all been exhaustively developed so that the food on the plate is exquisite in flavour and a pleasure to eat.

Picky eaters should avoid Wonderland, as one needs to be a little adventurous to enjoy the experience. I would say that the best way to approach it is to look at it as theatre and entertainment, with food centre stage; but done in a style that challenges convention and is thought provoking. It is probably best to listen carefully to the recommendations of your server. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable, extrovert and quite theatrical in their presentation of what was on offer. They will bring you as much food as you care to try. Some dishes are very small, others substantial.

The full size dishes are the Halibut, the Branzino, the Beef, the Pork and the Chicken...

Wonderland%20Menu-0206_zpslhr8ysnt.jpg

Interior styling to match the food...

Wonderland%20Interior-9565_zpsc4mehf0n.jpg

Ephemeral menu...

Wonderland%20chair-9566_zpsbvhkfbeo.jpg

My problem with the concept here is that the weird and wonderful presentation sometimes appear to be the goal in itself and the end result is not always delicious. Just because you can achieve something that is visually stunning and edible, it is not necessarily something you will enjoy and remember fondly.

For example the Baby Vegetables in the Garden with edible “soil” is a dish that has featured extensively in promotional material and is a picture on a plate. My server did not recommend it because customer feedback on the eating quality was negative. So what’s the point? Likewise the Liquid Noodles, which disappear when hot water is added leaving a sort of consommé...

I floated the idea of various dishes with the server and then ordered the ones that did not elicit disapproval and where her description sounded favourable.

Slow cooked Baby Beets. Nice but ordinary...

Wonderland%20Beetroot-9539_zpsv8wqyxfq.jpg

Liquid Lobster, caviar garnish. Dissolved on the tongue in an instant. Pleasant...

Wonderland%20liquid-_zpsetul0u4c.jpg

Buffalo Eggs in a smoke dome. Did not register...

Wonderland%20Devilled%20Eggs-9537_zps0pmikq6h.jpg

Wonderland%20Eggs%20close%20up-9548_zpssm7dgawn.jpg

Duck Liver Fritter. Tasty single bite...

Wonderland%20Bite%20size-9540_zpsi5uywkll.jpg

Crispy Crab Cones. Tasted mainly of avocado mousse, crab was barely detectable...

Wonderland%20cones-9541_zpsob2hrkyl.jpg

Branzino in Crispy Bread. The coating had the texture of excessively crisp pork crackling...

Wonderland%20Fish-9553_zps1c512qu2.jpg

Fish tasted good but, seen inverted, it is attached to the overly crisp bread. That was its downfall and made it awkward to eat...

Wonderland%20Fish%20inside-9554_zpscbuzsdhz.jpg

Terrior Beef. Huge and absolutely delicious beef, but the blue potatoes had a powdery rice-paper sort of exterior and the rest of the dish did not complement the beef well either...

Wonderland%20Beef-_zpsgpgmo593.jpg

Molten Chocolate Cake. Safe bet, but not groundbreaking...

Wonderland%20Pud-9560_zpsj3dam0ux.jpg

Melting middle, very nice...

Wonderland%20Pud%20middle-_zpssrddf2rl.jpg

In summary, at the price point I felt it was good value for money and worth doing once; for the experience more than the food. In my view it is not high-end cooking. The only dish that struck me as exceptional was the Terrior Beef which was perfectly cooked and a delight to eat. I cancelled my second booking. I understand that on Anthem, a new chef will be modifying the menu, hopefully for the better...