Adventure of The Seas Photo Review 4/19/2015 (S.Caribbean B)

This drove my husband NUTS when we were on Indy. This 'shopping promotions' woman (what is her correct title, anyway?) accosted us every time we walked through the promenade, handing out sales fliers. One day, she tried to hand my husband the same flier 4 different times. It became a running joke on that cruise.

She was also handing them out on port days as you tried to exit the ship. It reminded us of living in NYC, where you have to walk eyes ahead, hands at your side to avoid all the flier-passer-outers! No. Eye. Contact. Just. Keep. Walking. Hands. In. Pockets!

LOL, yes, I really feel if it's not for you it's all pretty easily ignored, but her particular voice and volume was hard on the ears :(

Port and Shopping Guide.

As usual Bob is right, :D but I would remove the "and" in the title, since there is little about the "guide" they hand out that has ever been helpful to me while touring in port. With one exception...I always bring the map because in itty bitty print on the back is the name and contact info of the port agent. This is handy should you have an on shore emergency or miss the ship...this is the call you should make first!

Edited by Familygoboston

Day 2 Sea Day

Ship Tour

Deck 11 and 12 Spa and Fitness

We worked out late in the day on the Sea Day and I could not believe how busy the spa was, (though there were plenty of fitness machines) people were really taking advantage of the single sea day on this cruise!

160026236.jpg

I think this class of ship has one of the nicest fitness areas, with all of the machines oriented to the bow and the ocean!

160026235.jpg

Deck 12 & 13 (Stern) Adventure Ocean Kiddie area, Rock Climbing Wall, Sports Courts, Mini Golf and Inline Skating

Adventure Beach Kiddie pool

160026237.jpg

Adventure Ocean

160026238.jpg

160026239.jpg

Unfortunately, we were remiss in getting any photos of the Sports Deck- we may have a few as a view from the Diamond Lounge, but they must not have been "good" because hubby didn't process them either. Sometimes at the end of a review I can convince him to let me add a few mediocre photos, so we will see!

[quote=Familygoboston;46554915

Helipad

160026292.jpg

I always spend a bit of time out here at night. It is where my soul and the sea connect.... Does that sound corny?:o

Edited by Ocean Boy

Day 2 Sea Day

Ships Tour

Deck 14 & 15 Forward: Several indiscernible lounges and the chapel

So I'm being a bit sarcastic, but deck 14 forward has the Viking Crown Lounge, Blue Moon, and Cloud 9. To me, it's tough to tell where one starts and the other leaves off. There is a Diamond Lounge, which is obvious by the big door and card access point, and a card room, but really the rest of it seems like one big space to me! So here are the photos, maybe one of you with more experience can help me point out the differences!

160026240.jpg

Here is Beth, one of the singers in the Blue Moon Lounge (I only know this because the Compass tells me so!)

160026334.jpg

For Diamond Members:

Diamond Club:

Did you know that breakfast doesn't start till 8:30 AM?? I did not know that and for a cruise with 5 ports with 9 AM all ashores, this just didn't cut it! We never ate there because we wanted to be eating around 7:30 or 8 and then getting our things together to disembark and meet out tour guides.

Did you know that know you can have 3 cocktails (loaded on your Sea Pass) from a Crown and Anchor menu at any lounge on the ship (but not the MDR or Theaters) between 5 - 8PM? We were very happy with this development and although we probably only had 3 of 21 included drinks, we much preferred this to going up to the lounge. It better met our needs traveling with a young adult or non diamonds and our wish to socialize with whom and where we prefer.

160026242.jpg

There is this outdoor area of the Diamond lounge that looked like a pleasant place for breakfast, had they offered it before 8:30 AM.

160026243.jpg

160026241.jpg

I should not be looking at these two pictures this close to dinner time. I love the Windjammer.:)

This is true, I was just thinking the same thing, and I've got a bike ride planned in a few minutes, so i really don't want to be hungry:p

Day 2 Sea Day

Ships Tour

Deck 14 & 15 Forward: Several indiscernible lounges and the chapel

So I'm being a bit sarcastic, but deck 14 forward has the Viking Crown Lounge, Blue Moon, and Cloud 9. To me, it's tough to tell where one starts and the other leaves off. There is a Diamond Lounge, which is obvious by the big door and card access point, and a card room, but really the rest of it seems like one big space to me! So here are the photos, maybe one of you with more experience can help me point out the differences!

160026240.jpg

For Diamond Members:

Diamond Club:

Did you know that breakfast doesn't start till 8:30 AM?? I did not know that and for a cruise with 5 ports with 9 AM all ashores, this just didn't cut it! We never ate there because we wanted to be eating around 7:30 or 8 and then getting our things together to disembark and meet out tour guides.

Did you know that know you can have 3 cocktails (loaded on your Sea Pass) from a Crown and Anchor menu at any lounge on the ship (but not the MDR or Theaters) between 5 - 8PM? We were very happy with this development and although we probably only had 3 of 21 included drinks, we much preferred this to going up to the lounge. It better met our needs traveling with a young adult or non diamonds and our wish to socialize with whom and where we prefer.

The piano is located in the Cloud Nine section of the Crown. Being a very early riser I would usually grab a cup of coffee and make my way up there and play for a bit of time every morning.

As for the Diamond loung... on our last cruise on Indy it would open for breakfast at 8 AM and it became our breakfast place for that cruise as the ship has the same outdoor seating and it was never crowded.

We also like having the drinks loaded onto our seapasses and this past cruise was the first for us since they started this. It was great to not be confined to the DL and be able to do other things around the ship and pick up a drink.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Well, that concludes our tour! And really, these are many of the spots we hit on our sea day when not lounging on our balcony!

If you tuned in just for ship photos and cruise compasses, you are dismissed ;)

But I will continue to post the rest of Day 2 Sea day (ice show!) and other days with some shots of various shows and activities we participated in, as well as a photo of the MDR menu for each night we ate in the MDR.

And of course, if you are interested in ports, we have LOADS of photos of each of the 5 ports we visited during this cruise, and I'll post that along with a review of whatever tour we did on the island and the contact info for that excursion.

As always, I hope the info I post here is helpful, and that you'll ask any questions about places or things I may not have mentioned, (if I get requests I can better lobby hubby to post the "bad" pictures!) or please correct me (Bob, and Ocean Boy, I'm looking at you!) if I got anything wrong (again, I hate that you can't edit, it should be obvious that I am in desperate need of a good editor :o!!)

See you all after that bike ride!!

The piano is located in the Cloud Nine section of the Crown. Being a very early riser I would usually grab a cup of coffee and make my way up there and play for a bit of time every morning.

As for the Diamond loung... on our last cruise on Indy it would open for breakfast at 8 AM and it became our breakfast place for that cruise as the ship has the same outdoor seating and it was never crowded.

We also like having the drinks loaded onto our seapasses and this past cruise was the first for us since they started this. It was great to not be confined to the DL and be able to do other things around the ship and pick up a drink.

8AM I could have dealt with, but 8:30 just didn't work! Luckily that WJ is very good both layout and service!

I always spend a bit of time out here at night. It is where my soul and the sea connect.... Does that sound corny?:o

Not corny at all...I agree with you, it's one of those spaces that reminds you you are at sea!!! I was hoping against hope that this cruise would be one where they held and upper tier event out there for sailaway! But not this cruise. :( I'm generally happy with some of the evolutions of the Diamond benefits, but rather than a lounge event, I'd much prefer a special event; helipad sail away, tour (we've been invited to galley tours in the past) or even a special meet and greet event in port, as opposed to lounge based things!

please correct me (Bob, and Ocean Boy, I'm looking at you!) if I got anything wrong (again, I hate that you can't edit, it should be obvious that I am in desperate need of a good editor :o!!)

Day 2 Sea Day

Ship Tour

Deck 5

Royal Promenade:

Deck 5 is dominated by The Royal Promenade, which was a big consideration for us to take this cruise. Our 18 yo found Jewel just a bit lacking in activity in 2012 (as did her dad in 2013) So Adventure was the only ship out of San Juan we looked at for this trip because of the Royal Promenade. One of the things I love about this class of ship is that deck 5 also hosts an outdoor promenade (the traditional walking deck with life boat stations). I do love that this ship offers the hustle bustle of the RP, while also offering the traditional, relaxing (and now, no smoking) promenade!

Ok, I wasn't going to mention it until you graciously offered to let me stick my nose in because I REALLY don't want to come across as picky....but... the outdoor walking Promenade is outside on Deck 4 where you walk under the lifeboats. Those boats actually hang on the outside of deck five.

Yes, I know, I sound picky even though I don't want to.:o Of course, if nothing else, it proves that I actually read what you write! :D

Edited by Ocean Boy

Ok, I wasn't going to mention it until you graciously offered to let me stick my nose in because I REALLY don't want to come across as picky....but... the outdoor walking Promenade is outside on Deck 4 where you walk under the lifeboats. Those boats actually hang on the outside of deck five.

Yes, I know, I sound picky even though I don't want to.:o Of course, if nothing else, it proves that I actually read what you write! :D

See I'm glad I mentioned it because you caught that! Thanks you! Now I'm wishing I could edit. :(

Day 2 Sea Day

Ice Show

At 4PM we wanted to go to Studio B to see one of the 4 ice shows planned for the week: Cool Art, Hot Ice. I had a lot of "burning" questions about this show (get it?) Really, it was beyond ridiculous how I pursued the logistics of attending this show before we left. ( I cannot be held entirely at fault since the last ice show ship I sailed was Allure and planning for Oasis/Allure or Quantum class does leave one with a bit of planning Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, I'm sure those of you who have sailed them will agree!) I'm fairly certain I pestered every human being who ever returned from sailing Adventure, queried every message board, pestered those "in the know" endlessly about where to get tickets, when to get tickets, if I needed tickets, how soon to line up..honestly, I started to get sick of myself!

And with all seriousness, I will now share the top secret, highly prized and researched strategy I devised with my hard won knowledge from all that quizzing and planning:

Ready? Got a pen?

Stroll down to deck 3 about 15 minutes before the show starts, walk into Studio B, notice the huge, empty theater with seats on three sides, select some seats, sit. There you are! And I am very embarrassed!

Shhh, don't tell anyone else!

Oh, and the actual show may have been shorter than my research! But it was very entertaining! Our DD came to the conclusion after seeing the opening night show and this one, that the person who designed shows in Miami may have been on an acid trip. I don't know if that's true (and DO I know that neither she or I have any actual personal experience with acid trips) but the show was very colorful, quirky and um, art-y? The skaters were very talented and energetic and the crowd really got into it! There seemed to be some kind of "art coming to life" theme...but I'm not sure, because I was still blushing furiously over having over thought the whole ice show thing in the first place. I'll just let the pictures do the talking!!

160026258.jpg

160026259.jpg

160026260.jpg

160026261.jpg

160026262.jpg

160026265.jpg

(next up, Formal Night, and a startling admission!)

Your ice show pics are amazing! I know my wife would love to take pics on our December cruise.

1. What type of camera and lens did you use?
  2. Did you take the pictures with the flash on or off?

Also, thanks for your directions on how/where to find the peek-a-boo bridge. We will definitely look for that!

Thanks for you review. I'm loving it!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Day 2 Sea Day

Dinner: the menu for Day 2 is Saffron (shrimp ravioli, filet of barrumundi or other fish, raosted duck, filet of beef tenderloin, artichoke crepes)

After a work out in the gym and various beautification procedures in our cabin, we deemed ourselves presentable and turned up for some formal night photos before dinner.

10999925_10206440524509750_3374774517620490258_o.jpg

(sorry for the quality of this image...it's one of my "2 free" pictures so I don't have the digital image and just took a picture of it)

This was our first night in the dining room at MTD, and we had John from India as our waiter and Raxiou (pronounced. rashua) from China as our assistant. (I think John took the easy way out on the name deal) We enjoyed their service at different times and different tables throughout the week, and they learned quickly that I never had bread, and that DD and I loved seafood (which usually meant they delivered a 4th meal for us to share!)

Raxiou and John

160026328.jpg

So, for my startling admission! (you might find this boring, if so skip along!) For years I have defended the "right to wear" aboard Royal Caribbean ships. I have been a member here for a while and if I get into a dress code thread, it's usually to defends one's right to wear whatever they feel comfortable in, can afford, can afford to pack etc. (because really, it says right there in the Compass "dress suggestion") I have always adhered to the idea that if what you do isn't harming me, or unsanitary, then it's your vacation, live and let live. Then my DD was inducted into the honor society last night.

Let me back up. Before our cruise, you will remember that DD did some shopping. She really had fun with buying shoes and dresses for the formal nights and we followed her lead for 2 reasons- first: her cruise and second: for 16 years I think she wore the same Hannah Anderson striped dress and leggings because it was comfortable and she barely cost us a dime in clothing expenditures over the years.

Then at 17, she went to Spain for 2 weeks, lived with a local family and came home with a suitcase full of stuff I didn't recognize! She got turned on to euro fashion and started pulling together her own looks. So we were happy to indulge her, pack a bigger bag and dress up for formal nights a little more (Hubby only wore a dark suit, but we ladies did long gowns)

About 3 weeks after the cruise, DD had this special induction into the honor society which involved walking across a stage, shaking the hands of 4 different dignitaries and accepting certificates and tassels. As she started across the stage, I expected her to be her usual slightly awkward, geeky self, but instead, I saw this swan cross the stage, tall and graceful, she looked comfortable and confident in her clothes and in herself. I had this AHA! moment where I realized that feeling free to dress up on the cruise and not worry if she made a misstep (she doesn't know anyone on the ship!) she had developed skills and confidence about the way she carries herself that she could not have learned at home!

I'm not about to change my "right to dress" constitution, but I could really see where, especially for young people, they do stand to gain a lot by participating in the "formal" part of Formal Night!

Production Showtime

After dinner, we went to the production show "Jackpot: a tribute to the best of Las Vegas", which was a mash up of Las Vegas entertainers over the years (acid trip? maybe!) We stayed, but didn't find the whole thing very compelling even though the dancers and singers do a very good job with what they had to work with. And we always appreciate the live band!

160026269.jpg

We went dancing to 70's tunes in the creepy Jester Nightclub, but didn't last long because they play the exact same playlist as 70's night, and we've done that a few times now and we were tired.

Look who was waiting for us in our cabin!

160026270.jpg

Steps: 9,761 Floors: 54 (that was mostly taking photos for our ship tour and 30 minutes of elliptical in the gym!!)

Your ice show pics are amazing! I know my wife would love to take pics on our December cruise.

1. What type of camera and lens did you use?
  2. Did you take the pictures with the flash on or off?

Also, thanks for your directions on how/where to find the peek-a-boo bridge. We will definitely look for that!

Thanks for you review. I'm loving it!

Thanks Jim, glad I could help!!

Here is DH's photo kit for this trip

Nikon D750 (best travel DSLR he's ever used) with a Nikon 24-120 mm F/4

Other Nikon lenses:

20 mm F/1.8 for ship interiors

300 mm F/4 PF for shooting distance off the back of the ship

35 mm F/2 D for shooting nighttime street scenes in San Juan (because it's unobtrusively small for urban settings and works well in low light)

Nikon 1 AW1 water camera with 11-27.5 mm waterproof lens for underwater and beach excursions.

SB500 Flash used sparingly inside the ship for portraits, when he bounces the light.

He brings multiple cards and the D750 stores on 2 32 gig SD cards simultaneously avoiding the need to back up. We just took our chance with the water camera, realizing that he's tried to beat up the professional grade SD cards in the past and hasn't lost an image yet! We do change out the SD cards from port to port to avoid losing images if the camera gets stolen in port.

I will add the disclaimer that I have taken cruises and done reviews with nothing but my Iphone and an old Nikon AW 120 for water excursions. Hubby uses these cameras because this is his hobby, and going to shoot is part of his vacation, but really, we encourage folks to shoot what they are comfortable with and not let picture taking wag the dog, if that's not your thing!!:D

Up tomorrow: Barbados-Swimming with the Turtles!

Edited by Familygoboston

Day 3 Barbados

Docked in an industrial area where we had a view of working port loading and unloading container ships (for each port I will mention what our view was from the PORT side to help with cabin selection)

View in Barbados

160027109.jpg

The Port where Adventure docks is a very busy working port, what it lacks in charm it makes up for in activity- there is always something interesting to watch...a 4 year old boy would love it! It looks like a live Richard Scarry Busy Town book!

Video of port in Barbados

Adventure in Barbados

160026734.jpg

160027108.jpg

Excursion: Calabaza Catamaran Cruise

We had cruised with Calabaza in 2013 on our Jewel cruise and one of the reasons we chose this itinerary for our daughters graduation cruise was to repeat the experience! I knew our daughter would love the small sail boat and she would love swimming with the turtles! If you are interested, it's best to contact Gina as soon as you firm up your plans; it's not unusual for her to book up 6 months or a year in advance. You will be on board with a mix of cruise passengers and people staying on the island in resorts. She makes the whole experience completely seamless and the service is top notch!

Contact Link: http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/

Royal Caribbean also offers catamaran tour; the biggest differences are that there are only 12 people on Calabaza (we had 13 due to another couple coming on the wrong day and Gina refunded us all some cash because we had to "suffer" with an extra person and had been promised 12!) On the cruise ship tour you'll get a rum punch AFTER snorkleing, while Gina offers a full bar from the moment you board. Calabaza also offers a full lunch, and snacks every time you board the boat (in the morning! after snorkeling! after swimming!) Calabaza has room to spread out on the net (on the bow of the boat between the pontoons) or in the cockpit (table and bench area at the stern) You are waited on hand and foot and generally have the feeling of being on your own private yacht! Although you go to the same sites to snorkel with the turtles, the excursion is longer and they can wait out the time when a cruise tour is there with 40 people in the water and give you a much more quiet and personal experience. After the turtle and wreck snorkels they sail and anchor in areas where the larger capacity boats aren't and you will be there with just a few small capacity boats like Calabaza.

The RC tour boat operators look like this:

(notice the Royal Caribbean towels?)

160026753.jpg

Calabaza looks like this with a full "crowd" and crew of 3

160027105.jpg

Day 3 Barbados

Excursion: Calabaza

We disembarked, and walked along the pier and through the terminal building to a series of "bus stops"; Gina had told us which # stop to go to and we were met by a taxi van who took us a few hundred yards away to where Calabaza was docked (this is all included)

Calabaza

160026762.jpg

Crew; Our captain for the day, Andrew

160026736.jpg

His mate, Bobby. Gina, the owner was busy in the kitchen and when you return from cruising you get an email with her recipes and a link to the photos the crew takes while you are onboard!

160026767.jpg

Boarding snack, homemade banana bread

160026769.jpg

From the moment you donate your shoes to their basket of shoes (not to worry, much as you won't want to, you'll get them back when they throw you off at the end of the day! ;) ) you will be pampered. This crew takes good care of you!

Their tee's say it all...

160026738.jpg

Day 3 Barbados

The first stop is the sea turtle swim. The crew will outfit you with masks and snorkels (no fins here to prevent hurting the turtles, but you can have a swim noodle if you need it. The crew makes sure you know how to gear up and they give you a freshwater rinse when you come back aboard which keeps you from getting to sticky from the sea water.

While there are other boats there, Calabaza crew does a good job of getting you their before or between the mobs, usually each boat has it's spots and frankly, the turtles don't love getting kicked in the head by 40 people either, so we had 10 people in the water and 3-4 turtles floating around. They swim close enough for photos, they were originally attracted to the area because the fishermen would clean their catch there, now the fishermen are gone, but the tour boats still come, so do the turtles. We chose not to touch the turtles, or any wild animals, but they do "pose" for photos!

We saw Green Turtles like this one:

160027083.jpg

160027084.jpg

160027085.jpg

160027086.jpg

And we saw Hawksbill Turtles, like this one! (see the little "beak" on his mouth?)

160027087.jpg

A close up of the turtle shell.

160027088.jpg

Day 3 Barbados

Our next stop was the "wreck" area. There is a spot where wrecks have happened and since then, the government has "scuttled" some boats there to create a man made reef. The cruise ship tours came here too, but not all of them, so the crowds were thinner. But Calabaza guide encourages their guests to stay together and this allows them to also share some info about fish, or the wrecks or the turtles as you snorkel. Also they take lots of water photos, so you don't need to have a water camera! (I have to admit, they were lobbying Gina to get one for them like DH's after seeing it!)

160027092.jpg

160027094.jpg

160027093.jpg

160027095.jpg

160027097.jpg

Day 3 Barbados

After the turtle and wreck snorkels, we sailed to a spot further up the coast and dropped anchor for lunch. We sail past Rhianna's house (she is their biggest celebrity!) and the place where Tiger Woods started his failed first marriage (maybe they want a little distance from that one!)

The lunch spot, after lunch we swam over to this beach for a few minutes, or you can swim around or just lounge on the boat.

160027104.jpg

160027106.jpg

Gina now has 2 boats Calabaza I and Calabaza II, which were anchored near each other for lunch.

160027103.jpg

The lunch spread put out by Gina; there were gluten free, vegetarian options on the buffet.

160027102.jpg

I haven't posted pictures of all the snacks - fried crab balls, crudites and crackers with homemade spreads, and homemade desserts...yum! I had hope that I might expend calories swimming, but the math doesn't work when Gina and her crew are plying you with food and drink all afternoon!

At some point, Adventure will pull it's own anchor and leave and Gina is very cognizant of that and about getting you back (you may in fact wish she didn't, but you'll get those shoes back and have to leave eventually!)

Sailing back, we noticed the clouds were starting to gather...an afternoon shower seemed likely!

160027107.jpg

Day 3 Barbados

And the rain came shortly after we boarded, luckily with the large covered balcony we were able to stay outside and "enjoy" the passing storm and sail away.

Video of rainstorm:

160026271.jpg

We got cleaned up and DH and I went to the Sports bar to get one of our Diamond drinks while DD got ready for dinner. Then we met her at the Lyric theater to see the Headliner Show before dinner, an a capella group called ReVoiced.

We found this show excellent! Young folks are very "into" a capella right now- call it the Glee or Pitch Perfect effect, but young men and women enjoy this kind of entertainment, so our teen found it entertaining, where the Vegas show felt dated to her. Also, the beat boxer for this group was amazing...honestly, they had to keep proving they were not using any backing tracks or drums- the man sounded EXACTLY like a drum set.

160026273.jpg

160026274.jpg

Dinner Day 3 is Pimento

160026275.jpg

I'm sorry to report that DD got scorched by the sun today and everyone was feeling sleepy after dinner. Because of the exhaustion from trying to bite my tongue all night, ("I told you to re-apply!" never, ok...rarely came out of my mouth!) so after administration of advil, we all headed to bed after our late dinner.

Steps: 9118, Floors: 16

Fantastic review. Thanks for posting.

Every kid needs to sleep on the balcony at least once - it is an experience not to miss. We took our daughter and a friend on a spring break cruise their senior year and they slept on their balcony until 3:30am, when it started raining on them! But that was 3 years ago and they still talk about it.

Love Calabaza. Great pics!

Your daughter is adorable and tell her the navy dress with the white hem (that she wore while posed near the Vespa) is fabulous and looks great on her.

So Kathy you are probably the only person in the history of cruising who can manage to log 9,000+ steps on a sea day! (Aside from my DH, who once was training for a marathon and got off the ship in Key West to log 10 miles and almost didn't make it back on time!)

What kind of device do you use? I log daily runs/walks on my ipod and 3 miles is equivalent to about 6,000 steps for me. I need to invest in a fitbit or something I can wear all the time.

Loving the review...carry on! :)

Day 4 St Lucia

Docked adjacent to Jewel and had a view of the pier and Jewel on the port side

We had never been to St Lucia before and we kept hearing how it is so beautiful. We found this true as soon as we sailed in...

Video of sail in

Views of St Lucia while sailing in.

160027112.jpg

160027111.jpg

160027113.jpg

160027116.jpg

We were followed by HAL Maasdam and joined Jewel of the Seas, who we shared port with today. The crowds of passengers touring from 3 ships in port at once really affected our opinions of the place and our day.

160027110.jpg

HAL Maasdam and Jewel of the Seas

160027117.jpg