Interested in Celebrity - Worried about "classiness"

If you feel comfortable on RCCL you will be fine on Celebrity. IMHO, the two are very, very similar in food, dress, and entertainment. RCCL has a few more things for younger people to do.

You will be fine on Summit. The southern itn is awesome. If you don't want to go to formal night and you don't want buffet, get room service and enjoy a great dinner in peace and quiet. Even better if you have a balcony!!! Although, I thought the buffet was pretty good. And you can eat out at the aft bar which is gorgeous. We had a group of about 50 of us, who had never met until the cruise. We have stayed in touch and are doing it again Nov 2015. We are down to earth, fun people. We drink wine in a red solo cup and don't even stick our pinky out:D

Smart casual is the norm in the Buffet and Speciality restaurants. The restaurant for Aqua class and Suite's is also always smart casual. Besides that the ship is very casual if you want. You will see people dressed to the 9's however that is their choice.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

If you are able to get the summit with any of the perks like Drink Package it makes it a great deal and includes specialty coffees if you like those. I don't think the Summit is any dressier than a RCI cruise and I know you mentioned that you aren't buffet people but I see a lot of comments that the buffets on celebrity are better than on RCI. When we were on the Constellation in 2014 DH didn't want to bring a jacket so just took dress pants, dress shirt and tie and they let him in the Dining Room on Formal night. I also think they have jackets that they will loan you if it is an issue. Not that I am encouraging people to dress down on formal night just mentioning our experience. On the Silhouette this year dh did bring a sport jacket and wore it both formal nights. Give Celebrity a try and work your way up to the S class ships...truly beautiful!

If you feel comfortable on RCCL you will be fine on Celebrity. IMHO, the two are very, very similar in food, dress, and entertainment. RCCL has a few more things for younger people to do.

I completely agree with you, we have found our cruises on both lines to be more similar than different.:D

Sherri:)

My wife and I are Royal Carribean cruisers but last few trips we have been disappointed in things as it fells like RC is being pushed down by in importance by Celebrity.

The thing with Celebrity is my wife and I are not fancy people - I wear polo shirts and khakis year round but don't do shirts and ties or suits/jackets, and we do not wish to eat at a buffet for dinner. Is this a real issue on ship as it appears the thread pinned above it is.

Any thoughts?

Bogus! The style of dress is almost the same on both lines.

You dont have to go to the buffet, tho the food there at time is a lot better than the MDR!:D

1257259440_cruise079.jpg.f6c98839d7af05ddc27dc2e51c18c51d.jpg

1440328701_regnite1.jpg.ddf425b4c5e677541af1ceac502c4ce9.jpg

1095136748_reg2.jpg.a4e358a7222ffc33dcb7d3028f4fd4c9.jpg

Such as in Cozumel the 2 Celebrity ships was in International port while RC boats was in downtown port (which I hated).

Any thoughts?

Don't base any decision on that. Usually Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships will be at the International Pier but if there is not enough berths there a ship will go to that downtown pier. (which there is nothing wrong with) That will be assigned by the port authority based on arrival time and size of the ship. There is no rule that the ship ending up berthing there will be Royal Caribbean, next time it could be Celebrity.

OP, we felt like you in that we feel completely "at home" on RCI but we did just fine on our recent Celebrity cruise to Alaska. Thinking it might be more "dressy" or upscale, I packed what I thought I might wear, jewelry to match, and several pairs of high heeled shoes. Many of my items did not see the light of day. It turned out to be more casual than we had anticipated.

Smart casual is the norm in the Buffet...

Sorry, I strongly disagree. Casual at best in the buffet. It's certainly one place where a guest should not feel any "pressure" to be dressed smart casual.

To add, the woman next to me on Formal Night in the dining room was wearing shorts (dressy, if you will :p ) which I did not even notice until we all stood up to leave. The suggested printed dress code and my observation of what people actually wore are definitely two different things.

... .....;::

, I packed what I thought I might wear, jewelry to match, and several pairs of high heeled shoes. Many of my items did not see the light of day.

.[/]

I agree . Not packing any high heeled shoes for the next cruise.

Bit of a safety hazard after being in the Molecular Bar then walking downstairs for Dinner [emoji57]

Also my wife said I looked ridiculous with them on. [emoji32][emoji33]

We have cruised on both Royal & Celebrity out of San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale, and on Royal in Europe. We're about to cruise on Celebrity in Europe.

Food, atmosphere, entertainment, staterooms, general ambience is about the same on either line ... of course there can be differences based on itinerary, fellow passengers, ship decor, whatever ... but pretty much the same atmosphere.

However, having said that, we have cruised on both the Summit & Adventure, out of San Juan, with extended family, and none of us would sail on Summit again. We are all booked on Adventure next winter.

We have cruised on both Royal & Celebrity out of San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale, and on Royal in Europe. We're about to cruise on Celebrity in Europe.

Food, atmosphere, entertainment, staterooms, general ambience is about the same on either line ... of course there can be differences based on itinerary, fellow passengers, ship decor, whatever ... but pretty much the same atmosphere.

However, having said that, we have cruised on both the Summit & Adventure, out of San Juan, with extended family, and none of us would sail on Summit again. We are all booked on Adventure next winter.

Cel X in Europe can be different again[emoji33]

lots of Brits and other ancient tribes [emoji33]

Even worse you could be on my cruise - I pity you if that is the case [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji636][emoji636][emoji636][emoji574]️[emoji634][emoji568]

Edited by gcgold