If don't get off the ship port charges refunded

Jay Sam

Sorry I asked this question. I was just wondering. Some of you are just plain vicious while assuming things about me that are not true. Not all but some.

I too was trying to figure out all the snark. Thought you asked a great question, one that hasn't been asked here before too. Don't know why people were rude.

Now if you had asked for a 50% refund on your cruise because you spent half the time in your cabin and didn't do any activities...now that would be snark worthy.

Sorry I asked this question. I was just wondering. Some of you are just plain vicious while assuming things about me that are not true. Not all but some.

I have never requested the gratuities to be refunded, and never plan to even if there is something wrong. And I take a dim view of those who do. The folks on the ships work plenty hard and I always make sure I thank them not only with words but with cash as well.

As a matter of fact, I always give my room stewards a nice tip as well as the staff in the MDR. When I see a staff member doing a great job in the buffet area I will often approach them and give them $5.00 or $10.00 and say thanks for your good work and making things so nice for us.

I also tip the folks that are sweeping the floors, cleaning the railings and those who I see on the decks cleaning the pool areas. I always take along a lot of extra 10s and 5s to thank those who most would not tip.

Frankly I wish all would pass along a little more thanks and money to those who are not in direct contact with us like those doing the sweeping, cleaning, mopping and those making sure the pool area is nice for the next day at 2AM. Tip those people as I do.

I sincerely apologize for my comments. They were uncalled for and assumptions should not have been made as the issues are not related what so ever. It was a valid question and used it as a catalyst for another topic which is a touchy one for me. From your response you are much like I am. Outside of my military career I work in service industry for 15 years and I have a deep passion for what they do and the lengths they go to (remembering names for one) to make our vacation the best it can be. Once again I apologize for my comments.

I watched an episode of Mighty Ships which indicated that the ports fees Carnival pays is based on the number of passengers onboard. They don't count how many come on and off, just how many are on board so since Carnival would have to pay they wouldn't refund even if you don't get off.

And I agree with you that some are just plain rude on these boards, I don't get why people waste their time responding only to be snotty. I had some of those answers the last 2 days because some folks thought I asked the same question too many times when in fact I just wasn't getting an answer for the specific info I want.

I agree, some people are quite vicious on these boards.

However there is no need to defend/explain your tipping habits they are something personal and at a passengers discretion. I don't like be told I should tip someone mopping or whatnot when it is needless to do so...there is autograts.

Port fees are not that much anyway....however the Panama Canal fee is....but you cant get out of that one! :D

Good question OP and some people on here love to stir the pot.

That being said, we were on the Glory in March and our Miami port fees were refunded to us. We went ti GS to find out why and they had no answer - we just do is what they said. It was baffling, and don't get me wrong - yay money back to me, but we left from Jax and NOLA and those were not refunded. Weird.

...Now if you had asked for a 50% refund on your cruise because you spent half the time in your cabin and didn't do any activities...now that would be snark worthy.

Hmmm? Now you got me thinking.............

I'd love to get back some of my cruise fare that is used to pay for things I don't use. Like those Flow Ridey things, and the Zippy lines and the Icy rinks, and the all those lousy 'Shows'. Ya I know that will never happen, but a guy can dream can't he?:D

I'd love to get back some of my cruise fare that is used to pay for things I don't use. Like those Flow Ridey things, and the Zippy lines and the Icy rinks, and the all those lousy 'Shows'. Ya I know that will never happen, but a guy can dream can't he?:D

You forgot the bumper cars, ejector pods, sky diving vacumn cleaner, merrygo round, magic wrist bands (oops , right device wrong company), imatation ice capades, etc etc etc. oops and pay hamburgers.

I sincerely apologize for my comments. They were uncalled for and assumptions should not have been made as the issues are not related what so ever. It was a valid question and used it as a catalyst for another topic which is a touchy one for me. From your response you are much like I am. Outside of my military career I work in service industry for 15 years and I have a deep passion for what they do and the lengths they go to (remembering names for one) to make our vacation the best it can be. Once again I apologize for my comments.

Apology accepted for sure. Thank you. I appreciate.

Yes they sure do work hard. I have a note pad that I keep to write down their names. Just came back from a 4 night cruise on NCL's Sky and complimented 7 or so of them on my online survey, and there were more that I didn't manage to get names for. I work in the travel industry, and it means so much to me to get a complementary letter. The cruise-line online surveys make it easy too.

Yes, they do a marvelous job remembering names. It's amazing actually. Even folks that I have talked to on deck in passing, who I have seen once or twice will use my name, and when I have kept my card in my pocket, so they don't have the ability to see my name. They just remember. I think to myself, how do you do that?

I've gone on enough here. You made my day with this post. I too apologize to you for my comment about being vicious. When I was typing that part, my gut told me to leave that part out, but deciding back and forth and I left it in. I regret that now and right after I pressed the button too.

Happy sailing to all of us.

The line pays per ship not passenger. That is why if the ship is full we will get some kind of OBC back saying refund. They charge X amount to cover the fees based on the amount to dock. When a ship is full and they've covered the amount the figure out how much should be refunded.

Lets say you go on a 4 day to Cozumel. Cabin price plus $88 tax, and port fees. If the ship is full they more then cover the fees to dock so like $10 is credited back to each passenger.

I may have messed up somewhere but I overheard someone at customer service explain this to someone yesterday aboard the Paradise. We all had $9.72 credited to us.

So to amswer your question no they won't be refunded back to you.

I watched an episode of Mighty Ships which indicated that the ports fees Carnival pays is based on the number of passengers onboard. They don't count how many come on and off, just how many are on board so since Carnival would have to pay they wouldn't refund even if you don't get off.

And I agree with you that some are just plain rude on these boards, I don't get why people waste their time responding only to be snotty. I had some of those answers the last 2 days because some folks thought I asked the same question too many times when in fact I just wasn't getting an answer for the specific info I want.

This is how it works.

The ship is charged x for the port. Lets say $200 to make it easier to explain.

Carnival will estimate number of passengers on board, again an easy number say 20. They will then charge each person $10 in port fees.

Lets say they started estimating at 20 pax but the ship is filling well and they now estimate to have 40 pax. The new port fee would be $5 per pax. So anyone who paid $10 would get a $5 obc, and new people booking would only pay $5.

This is why very often you will have a small obc. I have had as low as $2.40 and as high as $17 something.

It also explains why when you go to get your obc for early saver, often the port fees has increased also. Because they are lowering fees to fill the boat, so there will be less estimated people splitting the port fees making them go higher.

The good thing is, if they over estimate the number of pax, so the port fee should be higher than you paid, they pay from the ship profit and do not make you pay more than what you paid at booking.

So, no, you do not get port fees refunded, unless you do not make the port at all. If you are on the boat when it pulls in, you are responsible for your share whether you get off the boat or not.

Now that idea I like.

Now that idea I like.

Would you guys prefer an a la carte style of cruise?

If you want to see a comedian or show, you pay extra. Want to go to the chocolate buffet? Extra charge. Movies? Extra charge. Room service? Extra charge.

I don't like Carnivals shows (2.0 ones at least), don't care for the chocolate buffet, movies or room service. If they got rid of them and it saved me a few bucks that would be fine but others enjoy them. Personally never really thought about it until now.

Not being snarky or anything, curiously interested in if folks might like that style of cruising.

Don't give them ideas or they'll start and charge more if you don't disembark, because you will use more facilities, eat more food, make more staff work etc:eek::eek::eek:

Not to mention, the ports themselves could start charging a “passenger no-show” fee! For each passenger who doesn’t get off the ship, that’s one less person in port spending money at bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, jewelry stores, etc. I think if that ever became reality, we’d see a LOT of people in Nassau and Freeport (among other places) going down to the gangway, “dinging” out, walking off the ship and turning right back around and getting back on, just to make it look like they got off the ship.

If you want to see a comedian or show, you pay extra. Want to go to the chocolate buffet? Extra charge. Movies? Extra charge. Room service? Extra charge.

I don't like Carnivals shows (2.0 ones at least), don't care for the chocolate buffet, movies or room service. If they got rid of them and it saved me a few bucks that would be fine but others enjoy them. Personally never really thought about it until now.

Not being snarky or anything, curiously interested in if folks might like that style of cruising.

If doing the things I want to do:

Sleep in

Eat

Sit on my balcony

Talk with my darling

Maybe Trivia [but can skip it]

Costs less YES

There was an al la carte cruise line that lasted a few years. It was called EasyCruise. It was based in the Caribbean,then sailed in Europe.

The owner wanted to bring a ship to Miami,but the concept just didn't work.

There was an al la carte cruise line that lasted a few years. It was called EasyCruise. It was based in the Caribbean,then sailed in Europe.

The owner wanted to bring a ship to Miami,but the concept just didn't work.

Cruising is evolving. NCL and RCI are attempting to take it in a whole different direction. From no MDR, to the need to book your entertainment months in advance to get into a show, to off broadway musicals and more, you could say disney-izing the industry. Some may think this is the future of cruising. We will see, I hope not so much.

This was on John's facebook today. The OP sent him the same question as he posted here.

"I probably wasn’t supposed to but I have to admit I had a little giggle at this. But then I realized I had to take it seriously and started to give it some thought…………….mmmmmm.

Well the instant problem that comes to mind is that we would have to control this and even though our security system tells us who is on and off the ship it would still be a challenge. And then the ports themselves, they would have to be involved and asking them to change their pricing for pilots, line handlers and other services based on guests going ashore would be near impossible.

So the answer then is no…………or am I missing something here?"

I hate to tell everyone this, but every cruise I have taken I have not gotten off at every stop and I have always seen a credit for port charges on my bill the last night. I cannot say for certain what it was for, but We have cruised a lot with my parents and my kids and have always seen a credit. There are always a port or two we skip.

Cruising is evolving. NCL and RCI are attempting to take it in a whole different direction. From no MDR, to the need to book your entertainment months in advance to get into a show, to off broadway musicals and more, you could say disney-izing the industry. Some may think this is the future of cruising. We will see, I hope not so much.

I hope not. Al a carte belongs at a restaurant, not on a cruise ship.

I hate to tell everyone this, but every cruise I have taken I have not gotten off at every stop and I have always seen a credit for port charges on my bill the last night. I cannot say for certain what it was for, but We have cruised a lot with my parents and my kids and have always seen a credit. There are always a port or two we skip.

If you say so.:confused: However, I was once one of the very unlucky to contract Noro-virus while cruising and was quarantined to my room for 36 hours. Believe me, I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, but I did miss Curacao.

I did NOT receive any refund for staying on the ship. Rather, I received a very legal sounding letter from the CDC stating the documentation of my Noro upon my return home.