Am i in the minority here?

redflag216

Like others we are content with an ocean view but since we don't have to fly to port for this sailing I considered a veranda. With the all inclusive 123 go package it was less expensive to book a C2 on the Summit.

We booked an oceanview for our upcoming Bermuda cruise on the Summit. We were able to get one of the newer cabins with larger window.

My Dh and I were just looking to book an inexpensive getaway since the grandparents were able to stay with our kids. We decided on this cruise since our last attempt at a cruise to Bermuda in 2001 didn't go very well.

We had every intention of just booking an inside cabin, but if we went with OV the beverage package was included. No brainer for us. We would have purchased it anyway. Then the TA had the prepaid grats and an OBC. So, it only made sense to bump up to the OV.

I'm perfectly happy in an inside cabin. The one "downside" is that I've been known to lose track of time and sleep in. :(

I don't see much point in an OV. for me it's Inside or Verandah. For our next cruise we have a CC because of the perk promo.

I don't see much point in a suite, but I'm sure one day I will give it a try.

Another reason there maybe higher category reviews more frequently, is people want them. Before we invest at a higher level I definitely want a feel for the experience.

Some roll call members talk about their category so everyone knows where everyone else is. On many of my roll calls we are watching pricing and upgrading opportunities. Also consider this year after some benefits were released for suites they sold out so people booked those early and are on roll calls earlier.

My next cruise early bookers and savvy cruisers seem to be in Ov and insides. The pricing made it the way to go. I was actually feeling like I should downgrade for the social benefits and to save some money.

We have yet to sail in a CC, but if I started with X before AQ and Solstice class I would have been with the C1 in millinium class. But you can get a great balcony in a 1A on Solstice class.

I'm perfectly happy in an inside cabin. The one "downside" is that I've been known to lose track of time and sleep in. :(

I don't see much point in an OV. for me it's Inside or Verandah. For our next cruise we have a CC because of the perk promo.

I don't see much point in a suite, but I'm sure one day I will give it a try.

Curious.... Why would you give something a try if you don't see the point in it? Particularly if it is a greater expense. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNJCruisers viewpost.gif

Many people book in Aqua Class so that they can dine in Blu. Many seem to prefer it over the MDR. Regarding CC cabins, besides the extra captain's club points, the recent promotions have a lot to do with why people are booking them at an alarming rate. If you booked a CC or higher cabin, you got all 3 of the 1-2-3 or pick your perk promotions. So you got the alcohol package, the gratuities and the 300 in OBC. On our upcoming 10 night sailing in November on the Equinox, we originally booked an OV cabin. After figuring out what we were going to spend on gratuities, upgrades to premium alcohol package, and 1 or 2 nights in specialty dining, we were able to book a C3 for only 100 bucks more. We then used the free captains club upgrade to snag a C2 with the larger balcony on the slant off of the hump.

Only sailed once before in C2 because price was only £50pp more than ordinary balcony as offered by a UK TA. We liked the C touches (including the canapes) but would not pay more than we did then for these extras.

We have 4 more cruises booked, all M class. Panama Nov 2015 booked through US TA we have 2B with slanted larger balcony and classic bevs not offered in UK at that time. Sweet 16 were available but the TA wanted more for 2C than 2B, ( yeah go figure - they obviously get a better deal from Celebrity on 2Bs) Same again for Singapore to Sydney March 2016 (ordinary balcony this time). Like the quote above when I started looking further out the 123Go promo was on in the UK. Best deal was now to book direct in UK. Round the Horn March 2017 it was cheaper to pay C3 than 2C when the perks were factored in. Used the upgrade to get C2 slanted larger balcony. Next booked Chrismas and New Year 2016/7 with same pricing advantage, but this time for only £120pp extra have gone for C1 aft.

What category come 2017/18? - who knows depends entirely on who is offering what deals:D

progress.gif

Edited by Killington

3 X cruises.

first, Alaska, 25th anniversary, partner booked a suite. should mention that this was also first cruise on any line. first cruise, Alaska, suite, anniversary...... what's not to love!

second X, Bermuda, booked Aqua. loved taking meals in Blu. never had a meal in the MDR.

third X, Bermuda, booked Aqua. 123 promo and Blu were the deciding factors.

couple of HAL cruises, always with a balcony.

1 Carnival, balcony. never again.

don't know that I would ever cruise without a balcony regardless of the room grade. I start and end everyday on my balcony!

cheers!

I have a giant balcony on reflection next month on deck 14. it has a couple of bars, sun loungers and chairs.
Just wish they had a cabin with direct access to Martini Bar :eek:
Why would you need direct access to the Martini Bar, when you have already mentioned in post #27 in this thread which is quoted above that on your upcoming Reflection cruise, you already have multiple bars on your balcony. :rolleyes::D

Why would you need direct access to the Martini Bar, when you have already mentioned in post #27 in this thread which is quoted above that on your upcoming Reflection cruise, you already have multiple bars on your balcony. :rolleyes::D

haha - nice try [emoji3][emoji485][emoji568]

need access to martini bar for the evenings

only use my big balcony til about 7 p.m.

[emoji12][emoji636][emoji636][emoji485][emoji485]

Edited by gcgold

haha - nice try [emoji3][emoji485][emoji568]

need access to martini bar for the evenings

only use my big balcony til about 7 p.m.

[emoji12][emoji636][emoji636][emoji485][emoji485]

Just remember you're only allowed to have 5 drinks.

Do people actually cruise in Verandah cabins? I frequent this site daily, and all I seem to read about is Aqua cabin this and Concierge class that. I am in a Verandah cabin on the Summit. For my sailing there is quite a price difference to bump up to either CC or Aqua, so I guess I am content with my little balcony. I have never been on X so it will be a new experience for me regardless, but is there any value to upgrading??

Hey don't feel bad, we only cruise inside cabins. For us personally there is no reason to upgrade.

We have done a few veranda cabins and concierge cabins in the past and just not worth the big price difference to us.

If a deal is great we take it. A couple times we got an upgrade. On the Xpedition we were given the second worst cabin after paying for the lowest. This will be our 1st real X cruise. We booked Aqua class guarantee based on the deal. Can't wait to see what it is all about.

Then there are those of us who sail in insides and oceanviews. I have done a balcony once and that was on Carnival when it was $50 more for the week. Would I love a balcony? Sure! But, I'm just looking to get on the ship :)

For us it comes down to location to food and pool. We seem to book CC or AC. We travel with family and friend and like getting cabins next to each other and opening the dividers on the S Class ships. We did book 2 Sky Suites for my retirement cruise in Jan 2017. 598 days until I retire. With a total of 7 sea days I thought it would be nice to try Luminae.

Do people actually cruise in Verandah cabins? I frequent this site daily, and all I seem to read about is Aqua cabin this and Concierge class that. I am in a Verandah cabin on the Summit. For my sailing there is quite a price difference to bump up to either CC or Aqua, so I guess I am content with my little balcony. I have never been on X so it will be a new experience for me regardless, but is there any value to upgrading??

Okie dokie, 2 pages of comments and I skipped them all. The differences are not worth it for us. Now, we sailed in a C2 on the Reflection in 2013 for the extra CC point before the change. In a standard 1A on the Equinox last Nov. this yr we are in a A2 because when we booked it was cheaper than the others!:eek:

Unless you are chasing locality points, the 'stuff' you get for the additional cost are not of value, even Blu and the Gardens.

EW

different Bar[emoji15].

anyway the 5 a day is a minimum isnt it ? will check wiv my doctor[emoji41][emoji524][emoji524][emoji524][emoji524][emoji524]

Edited by gcgold

Having sailed inside, balcony & concierge class, I'd like to make a bold statement. There is no appreciable difference or value to upgrading to me between a balcony and concierge class. Yes in concierge you get some canapes delivered in the afternoon, they are really nothing to write home about. Oh and you must be waiting for them in your room to get them delivered. :eek: There are a couple of umbrellas available for you to use in case of rain (it never rains and who wants to carry an umbrella around with them all day). There is a cheap pair of pocket sized binoculars that are laughable for sighting objects from your balcony. You get priority boarding, which was no different from regular boarding at the time we embarked and you get a bottle of sparkling wine which we did not drink. The only decent perk realized was additional captains club points based on nights cruised in concierge. I probably left out some other perks which were so un-amazing to us, I already forgot! :D So are you missing anything? Not really. My personal opinion is to stay put and have a great cruise. Enjoy wherever you stay and know that you will arrive at the same time as everyone else!

The only advantage to CC is the fact that you get more points for Captains Club and if you book with the promos the Concierge cabin gets all three perks....so if you can get it for a couple hundred bucks more it is worth it...its worth no more than the value of the two additional perks.

On M class you would need a magnifying glass and a ruler to see the differences in cabin sizes between a verandah and a concierge cabin.

If it is a couple bucks difference sure go for it...otherwise its totally not worth it.

It is totally a personal preference. We only book Aqua - we think its worth the money - why - because we LOVE Blu. I dispise eating in the MDR - other people will tell you they hate Blu and love the huge tables in the MDR to meet people. About ten years ago I tried an inside cabin and once with just a window. I knew that was not for me. Personal preference. I like the small amenities that are in our cabin in Aqua. We have cruised 5 other lines and have stayed with Celebrity after our first booking in Aqua few years ago. And, if Celebrity does away with Aqua, we will most likely start back cruising with other lines. You have to find what you like - and not worry what other people do. After all, if we all liked the same thing we wouldn't be able to get a room in our preferred categories!

We just completed a T/A in a CC cabin, we got it only because the regular balcony cabins were sold out. I would never pay for a CC cabin the perks are not our thing. The canapes were nothing special and you had to order them every day and be in the cabin when they were delievered. The free wine we traded for 3 bottles of water,the other perks did not make our trip that much better. We booked another T/A but we got a regular balcony cabin and we will be fine with it. This will be are 24th cruise and I don't think we'll ever go up in cabin class again.

J.

You do have to remember that there are always going to be people who love to make sure everyone knows they are suite, concierge, Aqua, whatever - they are the same people who, when they meet you, say "Hello, I'm Whoever from Where Ever and this is our 1,375 cruise". And then they proceed to tell you about every single one of them - all in suites, of course.

Curious.... Why would you give something a try if you don't see the point in it? Particularly if it is a greater expense. :)

I once said I was perfectly happy with an inside, and would never pay the price for an outside cabin. Then we got an almost free upgrade to a verandah. I know see the value of a verandah.

You don't know what you're missing until you give it a try, right?:D

I wouldn't "try" it at huge expense, but for the right promo or slight upgrade, I'm sure one day we'll test out a suite. Hopefully we won't like it too much :D