Travel documents have arrived!

marchmom

14 days and counting until our flights begin for our very first trip to Europe and river cruise! I am beginning to feel anxious and ready to go. It's finally almost time! I am traveling with mom and my aunts. We'll be the Beverly Hillbillies on the ship. Haha!

14 days and counting until our flights begin for our very first trip to Europe and river cruise! I am beginning to feel anxious and ready to go. It's finally almost time! I am traveling with mom and my aunts. We'll be the Beverly Hillbillies on the ship. Haha!

We all have to do our first cruise and it is exciting! Which ship are you going on and where are you going? You didn't ask, but here are a few tips on things I've learned the hard

way:

Make 3 copies of your passport first page, front and back of every credit card you bring, a list of all medications you are taking including dosage and your primary physician's name, address and telephone. If you take something vital to your survival, bring at least a good copy of the RX, YOU carry one set, your MOM carries one, and you leave one at home with a family member.

Don't forget to call each credit card company you might use on your trip and tell them you're going to Europe and the countries you will be visiting, so your credit card doesn't get flagged. Also call your bank if you'll be using an ATM.

Make sure you bring your sense of humor, a friendly smile and open with "Hi, I'm (insert name here

Leave your high heels and fancy clothes home....bring a fleece vest or light jacket...and a rain jacket with a hood and pockets.

Bring a small first aid kit, anti-biotic/cortisone ointment, a few band-aids; cold remedy, immodium, dulcolax, antacid, nasal spray and cough drops. Not that you're going to get sick, but travel can upset your digestion for a few days. I'm talking small sizes of all of these.

You won't need hair dryer, wash cloth and don't panic if you forget something, they have chain drug stores in Europe too.

Bring you sense of humor, a boat load of patience and a friendly smile....My favorite opening line: "Hi, I'm _____ and I'm from _______ where are you from?" You'll be fine and you'll have a blast. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thank you for the tips. I have 1 in the group that might not be as flexible, less sense of humor if things don't work out just right; but she has been warned (I've been reading this forum since we booked since I know she will expect me to know what's going on) that things can and quite possibly might happen that will change the schedule for the day. She's accustomed to ocean cruises where very little can go "wrong". We're doing Viking's Cities of Light (Paris to Prague), in the Explorer Suites.

Quick question, you mentioned a copy of RX. Do you mean a paper copy in case we need to fill one while we're gone or for some other reason?

Quick question, you mentioned a copy of RX. Do you mean a paper copy in case we need to fill one while we're gone or for some other reason?

Many people on these boards will say that a paper copy will suffice - as opposed to taking medicines in original packaging - but I've been asked what was in a pillbox (my earrings; my prescriptions were in my carry-on in their original containers) in the Munich airport and my husband - in the days right after the shoe bomber - was forced by German security to put prescription eye drops in his eyes at the security checkpoint!

The US State Department (at http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ml#medications) notes:

Are You Taking Any Prescriptions or Other Medications?

If you take prescription medication:

• Pack enough to last your entire trip, including some extra in case you are unexpectedly delayed.
  • Carry your medications in their original labeled containers, and pack them in your carry-on bag since checked baggage is occasionally lost or delayed.
  • Ask your pharmacy or physician for the generic equivalent name of your prescriptions in case you need to purchase additional medication abroad.
  • Get a letter from your physician in case you are questioned about your carry-on medication; some countries have strict restrictions on bringing prescription or even non-prescription medications into the country without proper medical documentation.

The last bullet was news to me and I wish they had a link to the "countries with strict restrictions" but they didn't.

With millions of people flying daily most people will never be questioned but personally I would rather be prepared and avoid it. It is hard to predict what TSA will do on any given day; it is even harder to know what security in another country will decide to question.

Finally, if you should get ill having the original packaging may help out medical staff wherever you are especially if you are incapacitated and a traveling companion is trying to sort things out.

Kitty,

You always give such good advice. Even though I don't cruise until November, it is always nice to be reminded of all these things. Thank you!

I would also add: (I trained my GrandBabies when they were 9 and 11 on their first Med cruise).

1. Always walk along the streets with confidence. Smile and look at folks walking toward you. Look them in the eye (to show you mean business). It is easy to chat with your fellow pax and forget to watch out for one another.

2. When in a store, shopping, this is especially important when you are paying for something that your friends don't talk to you but, instead, watch out for pick pockets.

Have a wonderful time on your first river cruise. ;)

Make 3 copies of your passport first page, front and back of every credit card you bring, a list of all medications you are taking including dosage and your primary physician's name, address and telephone.

Bring a small first aid kit, anti-biotic/cortisone ointment, a few band-aids; cold remedy, immodium, dulcolax, antacid, nasal spray and cough drops. Not that you're going to get sick, but travel can upset your digestion for a few days. I'm talking small sizes of all of these. :D

In addition to the hard copies, I take photos of all my documents (passport, driver's license, IDP, credit cards [including the reverse with the 800 and international numbers] and ATM cards) and email them to myself. So worse case if you are totally wiped out as long as you can get online you can retrieve the info.

I triple second the cold remedy advice. I've found that the Europeans do not have nearly as good OTC stuff as we have in the U.S.

One other tip, if you are going to be charging phones, tablets, cameras, readers, etc. at night, bring a 6 foot extension cord. This way you can charge 3 or 4 things at once and you won't have to keep straining to reach inaccessible outlets.

Thank you for the tips. I have 1 in the group that might not be as flexible, less sense of humor if things don't work out just right; but she has been warned (I've been reading this forum since we booked since I know she will expect me to know what's going on) that things can and quite possibly might happen that will change the schedule for the day. She's accustomed to ocean cruises where very little can go "wrong". We're doing Viking's Cities of Light (Paris to Prague), in the Explorer Suites.

I meant a photocopy but if you're talking something life impacting, then I might ask my Dr. what he thinks. Capriccio raises some valid points, although I have to be honest, I have flown all over the world with my meds in my carry-on in mini zip lock bags and a note saying what they are and how often I take them and not once have I been asked to prove what they are or even show them to anyone. So I think since this is your first trip abroad, you might want to follow Capriccio's advice since that's a guarantee you won't have a problem. And if we're talking about insulin syringes, I would absolutely bring an original Rx for them since needles could change everything!

No Spin: Great idea.....I do have everything medical loaded on an "emergency" app on my phone that can be accessed by anyone in case I wind up in a hospital and my credit cards on a protected site, but I take paper copies anyway. I kind of figure if my wallet is gone, so is my phone!!

Kitty,

You always give such good advice. Even though I don't cruise until November, it is always nice to be reminded of all these things. Thank you!

I would also add: (I trained my GrandBabies when they were 9 and 11 on their first Med cruise).

1. Always walk along the streets with confidence. Smile and look at folks walking toward you. Look them in the eye (to show you mean business). It is easy to chat with your fellow pax and forget to watch out for one another.

2. When in a store, shopping, this is especially important when you are paying for something that your friends don't talk to you but, instead, watch out for pick pockets.

Have a wonderful time on your first river cruise. ;)

Thank you Di! I like your advice about talking when you're purchasing an item. You're absolutely right, that is NOT when you want to be distracted, especially by a stranger! As for looking people in the eye and smiling when walking on the street....I'm from NYC, we don't do that....ever!! :D

"She's accustomed to ocean cruises where very little can go "wrong". "

Are you kidding me, she's never had something go wrong on an ocean cruise!!!!! Wow has she been lucky.

Enjoy your first river cruise, they are completely different from an ocean cruise.

Edited by cruiseryyc

Another suggestion... if you wear prescription glasses, bring a 2nd pair along (even if it is an "older" prescription....)

If you break your glasses, you might need the old pair until you can get them fixed.

I always pack a bit of bubble wrap - to protect any breakable items I may buy. If I don't need it, I either offer it to someone on the boat (always someone willing to take it) or just leave it behind.

Fran

I kind of figure if my wallet is gone, so is my phone!!

Not necessarily.... I had my wallet stolen in a coffee shop in London. They got into my purse while it was beside me, and my friend was looking at me the entire time!! Phone left in the purse.

I take 2 credit cards - one from 2 different banks - and DH does the same. We both also travel with a debit card (for ATM withdrawals). No other cards/ID in the wallet. I only had to cancel the cards when the wallet was stolen - didn't have to worry about driver's license etc. Minimal money lost - just had to rebuy our Gatwick express tickets. We had travel insurance, so the covered the cost of the tickets - and the wallet!!

Fran

Edited by franski

Another suggestion... if you wear prescription glasses, bring a 2nd pair along (even if it is an "older" prescription....)

If you break your glasses, you might need the old pair until you can get them fixed.

I always pack a bit of bubble wrap - to protect any breakable items I may buy. If I don't need it, I either offer it to someone on the boat (always someone willing to take it) or just leave it behind.

Fran

I do that too Fran....because I can't see past my nose without my glasses so I have a pair, wrapped in bubble wrap, and I bring my Rx so I can get a pair made if I need to....And I always bring a sheet of bubble wrap the size of the bottom of my suitcase for the little glass stuff that I'm such a sucker for.

I always wear cargo pants, either full length or capris, that have pockets that button or zip closed on the leg. I put my wallet in one and camera in another and this way it's harder to pick the pockets and it leaves me hands free. I like to think it keeps my stuff safer, probably doesn't, but it makes me feel better anyway.

Edited by Hydrokitty

"She's accustomed to ocean cruises where very little can go "wrong". "

Are you kidding me, she's never had something go wrong on an ocean cruise!!!!! Wow has she been lucky.

Enjoy your first river cruise, they are completely different from an ocean cruise.

She travels in style! :D And yes, she has been very lucky. And I am lucky that she takes me along on some of her travels! She cruises quite frequently and as far as I know nothing out of the ordinary has happened to her.

I've tried to prepare her for how different the river cruise will be, but since none of us have been on a river cruise before I think we're all in for some surprises. I'm ready for them all!

She travels in style! :D And yes, she has been very lucky. And I am lucky that she takes me along on some of her travels! She cruises quite frequently and as far as I know nothing out of the ordinary has happened to her.

I've tried to prepare her for how different the river cruise will be, but since none of us have been on a river cruise before I think we're all in for some surprises. I'm ready for them all!

Marchmom with that attitude you're gonna be fine!!! I've never had a bad river cruise (I've been on 6 so far) and I've only had 1 bad big ship cruise and that was Alaska! The scenery and ports made up for the bad stuff. Problem was we had to keep getting back on the boat!!! :D

Hydrokitty, my aunt took us on a cruise (Norwegian Garden Villa) to AK almost 2 years ago. Words simply can't describe how beautiful it was up there! We were lucky on our trip and didn't have one day of rain, and it was in the 70's. That's a trip I would love to take again!

Hydrokitty, my aunt took us on a cruise (Norwegian Garden Villa) to AK almost 2 years ago. Words simply can't describe how beautiful it was up there! We were lucky on our trip and didn't have one day of rain, and it was in the 70's. That's a trip I would love to take again!

Me too, I'd just pick a different cruise line!! It was beautiful and the weather was wonderful. We took the land tour to Denali pre-trip and had a marvelous time, it wasn't till we got on the ship that things started going bad. EG: Our room vibrated so badly you had to hold onto the wall when showering; the a/c didn't work so we had to sleep with our balcony door open; the food was so bad that I got food poisoning at the farewell dinner (I was the only one at the table that had shrimp) and cruise line did NOTHING to help me. It wasn't until I reached immigration in Vancouver that one of the agents asked me if I was ok and then used her OWN cel phone to call our hotel and get us early check-in. She was very insistent and it was only 8 a.m. but she got us checked in and our room key was waiting for us when we walked over.