has Bistro on Five increased prices to $10PP?

catspaw1

I sail quite often on Celebrity ships and since they started the Bistro on 5 venue I always seem to notice empty tables no matter when I walk by. I myself have eaten there a few select times and found the food to be just so so for my taste. It really has nothing to do with the extra charge for me. I have discussed this with other fellow Celebrity friends and passengers. The majority seem to all feel that perhaps Celebrity should totally change the venue to something a little more interesting like a New York style deli. Figure out something different that makes you want to eat there. Seems a shame to have available a food venue than most passengers do not care for either because of the food selection offered there or a extra fee charged.

[quote name='movie buff']I sail quite often on Celebrity ships and since they started the Bistro on 5 venue I always seem to notice empty tables no matter when I walk by. I myself have eaten there a few select times and found the food to be just so so for my taste. It really has nothing to do with the extra charge for me. I have discussed this with other fellow Celebrity friends and passengers. The majority seem to all feel that perhaps Celebrity should totally change the venue to something a little more interesting like a New York style deli. Figure out something different that makes you want to eat there. Seems a shame to have available a food venue than most passengers do not care for either because of the food selection offered there or a extra fee charged.[/QUOTE]

That's very interesting. Because the majority of folks we've discussed the Bistro with, have loved the food. One can get a deli sandwich anywhere (at least here in Philly), but specialty food like crepes, paninis etc are a real treat. I have been in the Bistro when full and when not. Lots of folks on the Equinox love it! Edited by Cruisen'Susan

[quote name='movie buff']I sail quite often on Celebrity ships and since they started the Bistro on 5 venue I always seem to notice empty tables no matter when I walk by. I myself have eaten there a few select times and found the food to be just so so for my taste. It really has nothing to do with the extra charge for me. I have discussed this with other fellow Celebrity friends and passengers. The majority seem to all feel that perhaps Celebrity should totally change the venue to something a little more interesting like a New York style deli. Figure out something different that makes you want to eat there. Seems a shame to have available a food venue than most passengers do not care for either because of the food selection offered there or a extra fee charged.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. We have been on many X cruises and have never seen more than 10 people, if that, in the Bistro regardless of the time of day. We tried it once, and that was it. Not our cup of tea. It is likie the GastroPub as it was originally done on the Equinox. The GastroPub was a flop on the Equinox. Now they are trying the GastroPub on the Eclipse only part of the day.

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46555505]Wow. Well I intend to be there enjoying lunch at $10.pp. Thanks for assuring me of seating!

Many on here accuse X of nickel and diming them on their cruise. I observe that it's also the other way around, with passengers nickel and diming and being so "frugal." I love that polite word for cheapskate!!!

So after planning your cruise for months or years, you would not spend an extra $3 or $5 dollars for a WONderful lunch experience?? Even though you enjoyed it so much the last time? I can't quite grasp that idea.

Anyway.....bon appetite and happy cruisin'

Susan[/QUOTE]

OUCH, Susan. Some people save for several years to afford a cruise. Naturally, they watch what they spend. No need to call someone a cheapskate. Unkind.

[quote name='Yankee Doodle']OUCH, Susan. Some people save for several years to afford a cruise. Naturally, they watch what they spend. No need to call someone a cheapskate. Unkind.[/QUOTE]

I call it like I see it! :) When one spends thousands for a vacation, and squabbles over a $3 increase and makes a BIG DEAL about it, well....it is what it is!!! Cheap lol!!

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46562267]That's very interesting. Because the majority of folks we've discussed the Bistro with, have loved the food. One can get a deli sandwich anywhere (at least here in Philly), but specialty food like crepes, paninis etc are a real treat. I have been in the Bistro when full and when not. Lots of folks on the Equinox love it![/QUOTE]

A Panini is classed as speciality food in the USA ? It's available on every street corner and pub in the UK.

[quote name='yorkyred']A Panini is classed as speciality food in the USA ? It's available on every street corner and pub in the UK.[/QUOTE]

No, not specialty food, however a deli sandwich is FAR more common and easy to obtain here in the US. And anyone can make it yourself.

But crepes!!! Now THAT is a treat! either for your entree or your dessert or both :)

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46562784]No, not specialty food, however a deli sandwich is FAR more common and easy to obtain here in the US. And anyone can make it yourself.

But crepes!!! Now THAT is a treat! either for your entree or your dessert or both :)[/QUOTE]

Crepes and Paninis are something we can easily get around here, hardly what I call WONderful. If I suggested to my wife or friends lets go out for a meal my treat- "Panini or Crepe?" it would not go down well. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

The phrase "I call like I see it" does not give one a Get Out Of Jail Free card on being rude. Edited by DYKWIA

[quote name='DYKWIA']Crepes and Paninis are something we can easily get around here, hardly what I call WONderful. If I suggested to my wife or friends lets go out for a meal my treat- "Panini or Crepe?" it would not go down well. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

The phrase "I call like I see it" does not give one a Get Out Of Jail Free card on being rude.[/QUOTE]

LOL :) I have a knack for saying what other people thinking. I am accustomed to be complimented or thanked for my honesty/being real! :)

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46563196]LOL :) I have a knack for saying what other people thinking. I am accustomed to be complimented or thanked for my honesty/being real! :)[/QUOTE]

No - Rude is just rude , no matter how you dress it up as " honesty ".

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46563784]LOL well cheap is just cheap, no matter how you dress it up as frugal!! :)[/QUOTE]

Smiley faces and "LOL"s don't excuse blatant rudeness either. Edited by gergles

I'm done with all of celebrity's price raising, I do believe they are the most expensive of all large cruise lines, princess is less, NCL is less, even their sister line royal Caribbean is less, I love the Tuscan grill and have gone when it was 25, 35, 40 and even 45 but no more, loved qusine but that too is too much, their 123 promo is nice, but they raise the cost of the cruise accordingly so you are paying for everything you get, the alcohol is higher then other lines also, will I cruise celebrity again, yes, will I participate in the added cost venues, no, I think their cruise ships are beautiful and their employees great but I think I will also remove the tips from my account and tip accordingly to the people that I get to know and who work hard on a daily basis, the tip increase is really bothering me, I am not cheap and I am a good 20% tipper, but I want to know where my tips are going.

[quote name='yorkyred']A Panini is classed as speciality food in the USA ? It's available on every street corner and pub in the UK.[/quote]
It depends where you live in the US. In New York a panini is as common as a ham sandwich. As far as the crepes in Bistro, I found them to be on the thick side more like a pancake.

[quote name='catspaw1']Ok thanks for confirming. At $7PP it was worth it but not sure if it's worth a steep 30% increase in price. My salary has never gone up that much & I have never been given a 30% salary increase. A reasonable increase would have been to $8- a little over 10%. I'm a senior accountant so always think about numbers!

Does everyone think it's worth it?

CC recommended going the first day to avoid the crowds at the buffet. What is everyone's recommendation? Should we still go to the Bistro the first day?[/quote]

While I won't say it isn't worth it because really, where else can you get a salad, a couple of crepes, dessert etc for $10?, I do think being onboard a cruise ship and having already paid your fare for food, that it is not the best use of your dollars.

That being said, I have always stopped by Bistro for $5 and then $7 but I won't for $10.

I vote for, Be brave and tackle the (free) buffet!

[quote name='gizmodog']I'm done with all of celebrity's price raising, I do believe they are the most expensive of all large cruise lines, princess is less, NCL is less, even their sister line royal Caribbean is less, I love the Tuscan grill and have gone when it was 25, 35, 40 and even 45 but no more, loved qusine but that too is too much, their 123 promo is nice, but they raise the cost of the cruise accordingly so you are paying for everything you get, the alcohol is higher then other lines also, will I cruise celebrity again, yes, will I participate in the added cost venues, no, I think their cruise ships are beautiful and their employees great but I think I will also remove the tips from my account and tip accordingly to the people that I get to know and who work hard on a daily basis, the tip increase is really bothering me, I am not cheap and I am a good 20% tipper, but I want to know where my tips are going.[/quote]

As for the tipping, it's obviously your personal choice and I understand where you're coming from, but food for thought.
As far as I know, cash tips can be directly pocketed by the person receiving them. Any other tips such as those added to signed sail card receipts or prepaids, are pooled. There are many entry level, behind the scene workers in the shadows who depend on and deserve that portion of the pooled tips. So, if you remove the tips, while you are directly tipping someone like your room steward for what you perceive as outstanding service, the person supporting the steward and allowing him or her to provide you that level of service, is getting robbed.
Just something to think about.

[quote name='gizmodog']... I am not cheap and I am a good 20% tipper, but I want to know where my tips are going.[/QUOTE]

The Celebrity web site spells out where your tips go. The Celebrity Official has spelled it out earlier today in the tipping crisis thread. The tips go to your cabin attendant (plus assistant) and your restaurant server (plus assistant). Period. End of list. End of story.

Hi just to clarify all this I called Celebrity as we leave next week. They told me yes the price has increased on Bistro to $10PP but the MDR is also open for lunch. So we're headed to the MDR for lunch next week. Can't wait!

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46557320]Not a dumb question!! For your $10, you may choose a lovely salad, a bowl of clam chowder in a bread bowl, an appetizer, a wonderful crepe, a full entree if desired, AND a dessert crepe. Or 2 of everything if you like. ALL for $10. I forget if they have shakes and floats at Bistro, but if so, sure they are included in the classic bev package!![/QUOTE]

Only if the waiter will let you order that quantity of food. He would not let my father order a soup and salad, nor would he let my husband order a crepe and a hamburger.

This was just one of the many small things that made our experience with the new menu and the service in Bistro horrible. After paying $40 for the privilege of rude service, a 3-hour meal with entrees that arrived at wildly staggered times, and cold food... We will not be back.

[quote name='ailetoile']Only if the waiter will let you order that quantity of food. He would not let my father order a soup and salad, nor would he let my husband order a crepe and a hamburger.

This was just one of the many small things that made our experience with the new menu and the service in Bistro horrible. After paying $40 for the privilege of rude service, a 3-hour meal with entrees that arrived at wildly staggered times, and cold food... We will not be back.[/QUOTE]

Never has that been our experience in ANY Celebrity restaurant. One gentleman at our table requested 4 lobster dinners and received 4!!! (personally I thought that was quite over-doing it)..

Geesh, and this is not directed at you, but in general, these threads are full of people who do not have a sense of humor, who "pinch their pennies," constantly check and re-check their ledger to make sure Celebrity is not "ripping them off" and whine and complain.

I've had extra time to play on here the last couple days, but I see that I haven't been missing much!

I hope to see some of you sailing, and hope to not see some of you. What is supposed to be a lovely, fun experience becomes a bitching fest for many! Edited by Cruisen'Susan

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46570052]Never has that been our experience in ANY Celebrity restaurant. One gentleman at our table requested 4 lobster dinners and received 4!!! (personally I thought that was quite over-doing it)..

Geesh, and this is not directed at you, but in general, these threads are full of people who do not have a sense of humor, who "pinch their pennies," constantly check and re-check their ledger to make sure Celebrity is not "ripping them off" and whine and complain.

I've had extra time to play on here the last couple days, but I see that I haven't been missing much!

I hope to see some of you sailing, and hope to not see some of you. What is supposed to be a lovely, fun experience becomes a bitching fest for many![/QUOTE]

Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Please try to keep in mind that my experience and yours are not the same :)