has Bistro on Five increased prices to $10PP?

catspaw1

[quote name='ailetoile']Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Please try to keep in mind that my experience and yours are not the same :)[/QUOTE]

What you say is very true. I am not questioning whether it happened to you or suggesting you are making it up. This has just never, ever been my experience on Celebrity. Actually NCL and RCI either. The customer gets what the customer requests...this has been my only experience.

And my rant was not directed to you either, it's just been my observation of all the negativity on CC over the last few days. Most people on this planet will never even see cruise ship, let alone have a holiday on one. It just boggles my mind.

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46570265]What you say is very true. I am not questioning whether it happened to you or suggesting you are making it up. This has just never, ever been my experience on Celebrity. Actually NCL and RCI either. The customer gets what the customer requests...this has been my only experience.

And my rant was not directed to you either, it's just been my observation of all the negativity on CC over the last few days. Most people on this planet will never even see cruise ship, let alone have a holiday on one. It just boggles my mind.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I don't frequent CC very often between cruises simply because of the negativity and the entitlement that runs rampant on these boards. It took a profoundly bad experience for me to say something negative about Bistro on Five.

I recognize that my financial situation may permit me to spend more than some and less than others, so I don't blame people for budgeting and penny pinching (I've definitely been in the camp of cruising on a strict budget myself), but the complaining for the sake of complaining... that happens on here a lot.

My experience with Bistro on Five may not have been a very positive one, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying the other parts of my cruise. I certainly believe that Celebrity delivers a good product, one that I enjoy very much on the whole and will continue to enjoy in the future. Edited by ailetoile

[quote name='ailetoile']To be fair, I don't frequent CC very often between cruises simply because of the negativity and the entitlement that runs rampant on these boards. It took a profoundly bad experience for me to say something negative about Bistro on Five.

I recognize that my financial situation may permit me to spend more than some and less than others, so I don't blame people for budgeting and penny pinching (I've definitely been in the camp of cruising on a strict budget myself), but the complaining for the sake of complaining... that happens on here a lot.

My experience with Bistro on Five may not have been a very positive one, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying the other parts of my cruise. I certainly believe that Celebrity delivers a good product, one that I enjoy very much on the whole and will continue to enjoy in the future.[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying. And I concur re: the negativity. In the past, I have always logged into CC to ask a practical question, not to hang out. And I have been hanging out the past couple days because I'm under the weather. I have learned a great deal, and I hope the complainers are not the typical passenger. I am an optimist and a people person, and my intuition tells me the negativity is just a small minority. Even the recent SR poll shows that 75% of those polled enjoy the SR's and don't mind spending the money. Also, my gut tells me that the positive people stay away from here, or do not even know about it. Perhaps the nature of CC is about complaining. In that case, what I am observing is skewed.

Happy cruising and I hope you do not run into any more stingy waiters!!

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46570416]I get what you are saying. And I concur re: the negativity. In the past, I have always logged into CC to ask a practical question, not to hang out. And I have been hanging out the past couple days because I'm under the weather. I have learned a great deal, and I hope the complainers are not the typical passenger. I am an optimist and a people person, and my intuition tells me the negativity is just a small minority. Even the recent SR poll shows that 75% of those polled enjoy the SR's and don't mind spending the money. Also, my gut tells me that the positive people stay away from here, or do not even know about it. Perhaps the nature of CC is about complaining. In that case, what I am observing is skewed.

Happy cruising and I hope you do not run into any more stingy waiters!![/QUOTE]

I'm one of the positive people, and I'd say we're out here, mostly reading and sometimes it's just like watching a soap opera or the two curmudgeonly guys on the Muppets. I'm one of the people who is grateful for the opportunity to cruise every other year or so. We haven't sailed on Celebrity yet so I've been reading the Celebrity boards over the past year or so almost daily to get a sense of the ship and the passengers.

Most recently we've sailed with Disney and the folks on the Disney DISBoard are the happiest, most thrilled to be taking a vacation people on the planet. Quite a contrast to most of the posts on the Celebrity CC board. It does not feel inviting (although the roll call is an entirely different experience) to join in.

As an outsider looking in, I have to agree with Susan. There's frugal (that's me) and there's cheapskates.

I don't anticipate paying $10 for lunch at Bistro on Five. Call me crazy, but on my past cruises (Disney and Princess) I love the excitement you feel when you get on the ship and the vibe you get off of the other passengers. It's vacation! Long awaited vacation! Lots of choices for food-- grab a seat outside. Let the fun begin.

JoAnn

[quote name='texasgirl29']I'm one of the positive people, and I'd say we're out here, mostly reading and sometimes it's just like watching a soap opera or the two curmudgeonly guys on the Muppets. I'm one of the people who is grateful for the opportunity to cruise every other year or so. We haven't sailed on Celebrity yet so I've been reading the Celebrity boards over the past year or so almost daily to get a sense of the ship and the passengers.

Most recently we've sailed with Disney and the folks on the Disney DISBoard are the happiest, most thrilled to be taking a vacation people on the planet. Quite a contrast to most of the posts on the Celebrity CC board. It does not feel inviting (although the roll call is an entirely different experience) to join in.

As an outsider looking in, I have to agree with Susan. There's frugal (that's me) and there's cheapskates.

I don't anticipate paying $10 for lunch at Bistro on Five. Call me crazy, but on my past cruises (Disney and Princess) I love the excitement you feel when you get on the ship and the vibe you get off of the other passengers. It's vacation! Long awaited vacation! Lots of choices for food-- grab a seat outside. Let the fun begin.

JoAnn[/QUOTE]

I think you will have a blast on Celebrity :)

Just off the Equinox TA and we ate in Bistro twice. Both times the place was very empty.

My first meal was the "daily special" chicken pot pie, and it was quite good, (although NOT a pot pie). It was served in a plate, with a big, puffy croissant-like thing. Second meal a week later, and same "special of the day". This wasn'the even CLOSE to what I had before, and was not even edible. DH'so crepe was also poor, and we (unfortunately) sent both meals back and declined replacements. Not sure we'll do Bistro again. Your mileage may vary...

Edited by julia

I have said this before - I don't understand why Celebrity doesn't soak up the fee, be it $5., $7. or now $10., it's only crepes, or sandwiches - much cheaper than if you ate in the MDR, I am sure.

I was on NCL Getaway and they have a wonderful pub and guess what - the food is free - and it's very good! It's open 24/7 and has fish and chips, chicken pot pie, burgers... - pub food.

Friends of mine just booked the new NCL ship, which will launch this fall, and they will have a Margaritaville restaurant on board - and guess what - it will be free!!

We pay a lot more to sail Celebrity, and I love the brand, but the nickel and diming cheapens the whole experience.

I cruised Celebrity Solstice May 1-8th. I was looking forward to Bistro on 5 as I had frequented it both on Equinox and Infinity. I had lunch twice during this cruise.

The quality of the food as well as the menu did not measure up to my previous experiences on Celebrity.

The crepes were dense and overdone. The sandwiches i.e. Crocque Madame and Club I was unable to finish mediocre at best.

Definitely not worth $10.00....have had better sandwiches at Subway seriously.

To be fair perhaps it is the fault of this particular chef and this ship.

I am disappointed to hear that the fee has increased and the quality of the food has dropped, I was looking forward to Bistro on 5 and now I am not sure I want to. I suppose time will tell.:(

Sure the price has gone up, but give it a try yourself and then decide if quality had gone downhill or not! I really think that is too much an individual perspective to generalise we will all feel the same about the experience [emoji3]

Sure the price has gone up, but give it a try yourself and then decide if quality had gone downhill or not! I really think that is too much an individual perspective to generalise we will all feel the same about the experience [emoji3]

Cheers, will most likely do that and judge for myself. :D

It is just when people are saying the crepes are dense and overdone, it is such a turn off.:(

Cheers, will most likely do that and judge for myself. :D

It is just when people are saying the crepes are dense and overdone, it is such a turn off.:(

Yeah that sure doesn't sound like worth paying $10 for. [emoji37]

But if we took all the negative reviews of food on the MDR into account for example, one might start never eat aboard ship again! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for confirming. At $7PP it was worth it but not sure if it's worth a steep 30% increase in price. My salary has never gone up that much & I have never been given a 30% salary increase. A reasonable increase would have been to $8- a little over 10%. I'm a senior accountant so always think about numbers!

Does everyone think it's worth it?

CC recommended going the first day to avoid the crowds at the buffet. What is everyone's recommendation? Should we still go to the Bistro the first day?

We also ate there on the first day of the change in price. We were on the Solstice. It is important to know that the menu has changed somewhat with specials such as lamb and soup of the day added for each day of the week. Check out the new menu. We usually eat there on the first day of a cruise to avoid the crowds in The Oceanview.

Edited by socreader

DW and I always enjoyed an occasional lunch at the Bistro until our Dec 2014 cruise on the Eclipse. Our experience (on embarkation day) was absolutely dreadful. Crepes no longer tasted like they were freshly made from scratch, the dough was too thick, fillings not hot, etc. And our service was the worst we have ever experienced on any X cruise (and we are Elite Plus). And then, to add insult to injury, after waiting for 1 1/2 hours and still not even been asked about dessert we simply got up to leave and had to beg for a check. We were double charged for the meal and when we pointed this out we ended up triple charged. This was later fixed by Guest Relations, but only after 2 phone calls, and 2 personal visits when it finally took a supervisor to clear up the mess! The meal was so bad that X should have paid us (they did send some strawberries). After days of trying to straighten out the fiasco we did get a visit from the Maitre'd in charge of the Bistro who apologized and then "blamed it on a busy embarkation day."

We love X and this Bistro experience was so bad that it left a sour taste with us for a long time. So since this awful experience they have raised the price (twice) and cut back the menu in some areas and expanded in others. We will probably give it another try on our next Eclipse cruise to see if things have improved or simply become more expensive. As to those that post things like "where else can you get a crepe and salad for $10) we would point out that you have already paid for lunch in your cruise fare. The $10 is an add on!

Hank

Yes indeed. Time will tell. And I will also tell you that our recent lunch at Bistro was scrumptious! That's my individual perspective! YUM!

Yeah that sure doesn't sound like worth paying $10 for. [emoji37]

But if we took all the negative reviews of food on the MDR into account for example, one might start never eat aboard ship again! [emoji1]

Very true.:D

We also ate there on the first day of the change in price. We were on the Solstice. It is important to know that the menu has changed somewhat with specials such as lamb and soup of the day added for each day of the week. Check out the new menu. We usually eat there on the first day of a cruise to avoid the crowds in The Oceanview.

That was my plan too Nancie.:D

BTW, it is nice to hear from you again.

Yes indeed. Time will tell. And I will also tell you that our recent lunch at Bistro was scrumptious! That's my individual perspective! YUM!

Much better, I prefer reading that the food is scrumptious.:D

That has become our boarding day habit also!!

TBH we are not so into crepes anyway, but we always asked for the fillings to be served in paninis, which was never an issue and have always been scrumptious. The chicken noodle soup served there has also been really good!

Just last cruise we finally relented and tried the dessert crepes, we'll let me say we felt it necessary to try them more than once just to be sure they were as good as we thought first time !![emoji12][emoji13]

We'll be back for our day 1 ritual for sure, and I quite look forward to trying the new, more varied menu.

I'll have some of whatever Cruisen'Susan had' date=' 'scrumptious' is THE way to go [emoji12']

As of March this year on board Millenium the price was 7 USD and the quality both times was bad- I loved BO5 on board the other ships so looked forward to it- esp. on embarkation day to avoid the bedlam in the Ocean View Cafe. On embarkation day I found the quality very downhill - so I tried for second time- misshapps can happen always so I thougt. Well, also no very good- so now that price is 10 USD maybe it get´s better again!