Cagney's will be ala carte pricing

sjnyc323

Yep.

Think of almost any non-steakhouse restaurant, even chains - their menus are "a la carte".

Each entree is already "paired" with typically a vegetable and a starch - items the chef has determined "go together" and that the kitchen staff has been trained to plate in a certain way.

Believe what you want. But, once you add sides to an entree it becomes a dish and is no longer considered a la carte.

If Escape is not supposed to begin sailing until Fall 2015, the prices for Cagney won't become a la carte until then according to the statement above. But, then someone said July 3, 2015? Anyone have guesstimate when?

I was referring to the terms and conditions of the UDP on NCL's website. Both Terms and conditions for sailing before and after July 3rd include. Cagney's. The only difference is that for sailings after July 3rd the terms and conditions state that that certain venues on board the Escape are not included.

Hard to believe there is such confusion on this point. For me, a la carte means anything OTHER than "prix fixe." With the very small exception of extra entrees or a few items offered for extra charge, "prix fixe" has been the pricing model for Cagneys (and the other specialty restaurants) on NCL. Assuming the report is true it still lacks the specificity to say too much OTHER than that NCL is moving away from the "prix fixe" model.

"A la carte" in this case could absolutely mean swimming in the "grey area" that many of the responses here have exposed, where you aren't ordering (and paying) separately for absolutely everything (i.e., the upscale "steakhouse" version of "a la carte"), yet you're not getting apps or dessert included with your entree. Most restaurants in the U.S. could be described as using the "a la carte" model, EVEN THOUGH THEY ADD BAKED POTATO AND BROCOLLI to your Porterhouse.

You certainly wouldn't describe these typical American restaurants as using a "prix fixe" model -- if they aren't "a la carte," WHAT ARE THEY?

Edited by Cruise4Real

Here are the terms and conditions for the UDP on the NCL website:

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

Notice how it does not include Cagney's in the not included portion. On top of that it goes on to specifically state that $10 extra will be charged for an additional main course at Cagney's.

The rumor is false. Since these are terms and conditions NCL has to abide by them or find themselves in a class action suit where they would have to refund the UDP cost in part or whole that bought it because of Cagney's. It would be too much of a logistics nightmare to grandfather in people who already have it because then you would need a way to identify people who had the UDP before the change from those who bought it after the change. If Cagney's or any other restaurant would change to a la carte pricing NCL would suspend sales of the UDP, update their terms and conditions, the implement the change to after a specific sail date on the site. Otherwise it would be opening itself up to so many US law infractions that it would pretty much run it out of business.

Why would there have to be a class action suit to refund UDP? People can just call and ask for a refund. It happens all the time.

And the terms have not been changed because this has not even been announced. An untrustworthy staff member who needs to lose her job has shared this info without permission. That in and of itself makes me lose faith in NCL. I don't like crap employees, even if it benefits the captive audience waiting for news.

Hard to believe there is such confusion on this point. For me, a la carte means anything OTHER than "prix fixe." With the very small exception of extra entrees or a few items offered for extra charge, "prix fixe" has been the pricing model for Cagneys (and the other specialty restaurants) on NCL. Assuming the report is true it still lacks the specificity to say too much OTHER than that NCL is moving away from the "prix fixe" model.

"A la carte" in this case could absolutely mean swimming in the "grey area" that many of the responses here have exposed, where you aren't ordering (and paying) separately for absolutely everything (i.e., the upscale "steakhouse" version of "a la carte"), yet you're not getting apps or dessert included with your entree. Most restaurants in the U.S. could be described as using the "a la carte" model, EVEN THOUGH THEY ADD BAKED POTATO AND BROCOLLI to your Porterhouse.

You certainly wouldn't describe these typical American restaurants as using a "prix fixe" model -- if they aren't "a la carte," WHAT ARE THEY?

Semi-a la carte is the term that I have heard used.

Why would there have to be a class action suit to refund UDP? People can just call and ask for a refund. It happens all the time.

And the terms have not been changed because this has not even been announced. An untrustworthy staff member who needs to lose her job has shared this info without permission. That in and of itself makes me lose faith in NCL. I don't like crap employees, even if it benefits the captive audience waiting for news.

People are getting ridiculous with this nonsense. Just cancel the darn thing if you don't want it.

People want low cruise fares, maybe NCL should just charge for all the shows, a fixed price for the buffet and ala carte pricing in all rest. Then there would be no problem in getting what you pay for

And it would really be freestyle.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Although we are not really big fans of Cagney's, we travel with friends that are. So, when all this came up I sent an email off to Andy Stuart asking how this change would affect people with UDP's.

Here is my email to Mr. Stuart:

Dear Mr. Stuart,

I am a long time NCL passenger (Latitudes #XXXXXXXXX). We have 5 future NCL cruises booked due to the great promotion that was running in January.

It is my understanding that Cagney's will soon change to an a la carte format on the Escape and then roll out to the rest of the fleet soon after. How is this going to affect passengers that have the Ultimate Dining Package with the intentions of enjoying Cagney's on a future cruise?

I understand the need for businesses to change from time to time. But, there are practices like Grandfathering that look out for your customers.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this.

Warmest regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

And here here is Mr. Stuarts response:

Good morning,

We have not made a decision about potential changes to a la carte pricing in the alternatives. Regardless the ultimate dining package will not change as far as including the restaurants that are included today.

Thanks for you business and taking the time to write to me.

Kind regards

Andy

Although we are not really big fans of Cagney's, we travel with friends that are. So, when all this came up I sent an email off to Andy Stuart asking how this change would affect people with UDP's.

Dear Mr. Stuart,

I am a long time NCL passenger (Latitudes #XXXXXXXXX). We have 5 future NCL cruises booked due to the great promotion that was running in January.

It is my understanding that Cagney's will soon change to an a la carte format on the Escape and then roll out to the rest of the fleet soon after. How is this going to affect passengers that have the Ultimate Dining Package with the intentions of enjoying Cagney's on a future cruise?

I understand the need for businesses to change from time to time. But, there are practices like Grandfathering that look out for your customers.

Warmest regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

Good morning,

We have not made a decision about potential changes to a la carte pricing in the alternatives. Regardless the ultimate dining package will not change as far as including the restaurants that are included today.

Kind regards

Andy

Thanks for posting this...

If the changes are true the questions would be how would the general public know? Also the claim that this was leaked by a "staff member". Do you think the average crew is informed of changes that are coming 6 months down the road and that PCC are told to warn people who ask?

Just a bunch of trolls trying to scare people! My proof? Link to thread were a large number of people on this thread have claimed that Cagney's was suppose to go a la carte by "x" date. Funny how "x" date got pushed back!

Thread stating that Cagney's will go a la carte in June according to a "Hotel director":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2201272

Dear Mr. Stuart,

Warmest regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

Good morning,

Kind regards

Andy

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this will put an end to the nonsensical talk about class action suits, etc.

Dear Mr. Stuart,

Warmest regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

Good morning,

Kind regards

Andy

Thanks for sharing this info.