Cagney's will be ala carte pricing

sjnyc323

Actually, if they upgraded the cuts of beef at Cagney's to Prime grade, which no one could convince me they now serve, and added items like Kobe beef steaks, I wouldn't mind paying ala carte. But I've never been a big fan of Cagneys, particularly the new menu, as I always thought the food was much better at Le Bistro - never quite could understand why LeBistro was cheaper....

Terry

I really like Cagney's, but if they upgraded the meat, that would be even much better.

Since we don't know, could it be that they will have their regular menu and have a la carte items on top of that or possibly additional items will be al a carte or they will go totally a la carte. If they are ultimately taken out of the UDP and made an a la carte restaurants, it really doesn't make much sense to purchase the UDP, at least for me. Wonder if that is why their promotion is not giving a UDP, but a dining credit.

We can speculate all we want, but I guess we will know when they tell us or when someone encounters it on a ship.

I have zero interest in walking out of Cagneys with a bill of well over $100, plus 18% gratuity and service charge. Appy, $11.95, Soup or salad, $11.95, Steak entree, $34.99, sides $7.95 each, dessert $7.95.

I'm curious as to whether you quoted real prices from the menu or if this is your estimate? Thanks!

All I was told it will first begin with Escape no mention of dining plan or anything else

But did you ask or was there any question as to what "a la carte" means? That is really the crux of the issue. Is it current pricing with added up-charge items? Is it fixed-price but excluded from UDP? Or is it true "a la carte" where everhting is priced separately. (I'd be really surprised if it were the last option. Even Ocean Blue is fixed price.)

Until I can know/understand what this really means, there doesn't seem to be much to get upset about, unless change in and of itself is a mortal sin. Your source may be reliable and accurate, but without more detail, this "news" isn't all that informative or useful.

My fervent hope is that the reputation DelRio has developed as a real foodie, which I think is supported by the high quality of food served on Oceania, will result in NCL serving higher quality and more creative offerings that satisfy a more sophisticated palate. I don't care if I have to pay for them, as long as complementary but satisfactory meals are served in the main dining rooms for those that are not interested in a higher cost option. Lines like Oceania and Crystal are very expensive. I would much prefer sailing a lower cost line and choosing where to spend my dollars on upgrades. And food is one place where I would be happy to spend it.

Terry

Edited by tel2

My fervent hope is that the reputation DelRio has developed as a real foodie, which I think is supported by the high quality of food served on Oceania, will result in NCL serving higher quality and more creative offerings that satisfy a more sophisticated palate. I don't care if I have to pay for them, as long as complementary but satisfactory meals are served in the main dining rooms for those that are not interested in a higher cost option. Lines like Oceania and Crystal are very expensive. I would much prefer sailing a lower cost line and choosing where to spend my dollars on upgrades. And food is one place where I would be happy to spend it.

Terry

I with you. I've always gotten such a great deal on NCL, over the other lines I cruise on, that I don't mind paying for upgrades. Keep the fares low and charge for those "choice" items.

I with you. I've always gotten such a great deal on NCL, over the other lines I cruise on, that I don't mind paying for upgrades. Keep the fares low and charge for those "choice" items.

I am guessing that many of the complainants are folks that would like to keep the low cost, but to continue to have all of the "choice" items included in the low cost. But the economics just do not work that way. Even many of the land-based all inclusive resorts have began designating certain high-end restaurants as 'included" for suite or other high category guests. Sandals, for example, does not allow lower category guests to dine at some of their high end restaurants. You cannot pay extra to do so -- it just is not a choice you can select. So, I'd much rather choose the level of accommodation I want and then pay to upgrade in those areas that matter to me, i.e., food, spa, etc.

Terry

I'm curious as to whether you quoted real prices from the menu or if this is your estimate? Thanks!

How could there be real prices from the menu when NCL has made no official announcement? I guess I should have placed a ;) and a :rolleyes: after my statement. :)

And of course, like others have said, everything depends on what NCL's idea of ala carte is. The example I gave is what ala carte would mean at a land based restaurant. It could get pricey. I'm not sure that is the type of steakhouse dining experience most NCL cruisers are looking for. Of course there could be some that are looking for a very high end experience and are willing to pay for it. But it is nothing I want on a cruise ship. It would be a gamble for NCL to do it IMO.

Of course this was true. The other thread had over 20 pages and was active for weeks. NCL NEVER posted anything stating it was not true. That is all you need to know ;)

NCL will always chime in and correct the record.

Gosh I wonder how expenisve Cagneys will be? $25 for the filet, $7 for mashed potatoes, $7 for mushrooms, $7 for French fries. And don't forget your 18% gratuity :eek:

Will the UDP really be worth that much now?

Edited by david_sobe

Terry

That is positive thinking ;)

I was reading on the Oceania boards and there is lots of complaining about cut backs.

Of course this was true. The other thread had over 20 pages and was active for weeks. NCL NEVER posted anything stating it was not true. That is all you need to know ;)

NCL will always chime in and correct the record.

Gosh I wonder how expenisve Cagneys will be? $25 for the filet, $7 for mashed potatoes, $7 for mushrooms, $7 for French fries. And don't forget your 18% gratuity :eek:

Will the UDP really be worth that much now?

Well, usually with the UDP you do get 25% off! LOL

But to answer your question......no, the UDP won't be worth much and it won't be worth it to me to even go to Cagney's. Truthfully, I never thought their steaks were that great.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I have a question for those who have sailed over Christmas. When reading the terms special dinners, including on Christmas are excluded. What makes these so special in the specialty outlets? Do all the establishments do a special Christmas dinner? So would it be worthwhile to even purchase the UDP during Christmas week?

Thanks and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread.

If Escape is not supposed to begin sailing until Fall 2015, the prices for Cagney won't become a la carte until then according to the statement above. But, then someone said July 3, 2015? Anyone have guesstimate when?

Thank you Suzanne. Coming from you, I know it is true. Any idea when they will be starting this? I'm on Breakaway in November and purchased the UDP for the 3 of us. If Cagney's isn't included and Cirque Dreams isn't free on night 1 anymore, I don't know if it is going to be worth the $$ I spent on it. But, if they take Cagney's off and put Ocean Blue on, then I would be good. :D

One of our little niece came back last Saturday on the Gateway and they're not overly impressed with Ocean Blue's menu selections - her hubby wasn't going to order/eat Peking Duck at a seafood venue with the $39 surcharge + 18%

Hmmm, I ddin't know what else to tell her but I did warned them about the Room Service delivery charge - which they're exempted by calling & using the ("poor") butler all the time (not sure if they ring the special phone at 2 AM for a snack :D) as Haven guests.

Maybe, maybe, over time - it will be different, so keep those dreams alive ... as long money isn't a matter of concern. ;)

I asked my NCL agent about this and was told the statement is true. But not only for the Escape, I was told that he changes to Cagney's would be in place by the time my cruise comes around on the Getaway in September. He ensured me that I would be grandfathered in with my UDP.

Actually, if they upgraded the cuts of beef at Cagney's to Prime grade, which no one could convince me they now serve, and added items like Kobe beef steaks, I wouldn't mind paying ala carte. But I've never been a big fan of Cagneys, particularly the new menu, as I always thought the food was much better at Le Bistro - never quite could understand why LeBistro was cheaper....

Terry

I feel exactly the opposite. We've had really average meals at Le Bistro, but great ones at Cagney's.

... by calling & using the ("poor") butler all the time

And this is exactly how I plan to deal with the "no food from the buffet" issue. I never have room to enjoy a dessert right after dinner, but I do like to have one later. I love the cobblers and crumbles from the buffet, and my butler's time will be wasted nightly by me having him bring me one to the Haven. NCL

Can one break even on the UDP without Cagney's included? I guess that's simple math but I'm lying in bed and don't want to make the effort...

Yep, seven nights at twenty dollars or more will cover the package and tips. Anything beyond that and you are gold.

Can one break even on the UDP without Cagney's included? I guess that's simple math but I'm lying in bed and don't want to make the effort...
Yes, you could. The UDP averages $17 a day for a 7 day cruise, before 18 percent gratuity. The restaurants range from $15 (La Cucina), $20 (Le Bistro, Moderno) and $25 (Teppanyaki). BTW, I'm using the old prices, since that what was still on the website and I didn't want to look for the new prices. So as long as you didn't do La Cucina every night, you would come out ahead of the game.

All individual restaurant charges I quoted were before the 18 percent gratuity as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona