TA time change

balf

I enjoyed the noon change on my recent TA. The only problem I found was that the dance lessons were scheduled for 11.15 on those days, instead of 12.15, which meant I was not awake to attend them.

It also made the days incredibly short! There's never enough time to do the things I think I will do on a normal sea day. There was even less time on the TA. Because I don't get up until after 11am, it just felt as though I wasn't getting organised until 1am instead of midday.

There is really no good way to handle the repeating lost hours on an eastbound TA. Of course, noon is better than the middle of the night: abbreviating a schedule is not as bad as losing hour after hour of sleep. On the westbounds, you can either stay up an hour later several nights (with no penalty) or start getting up a bit earlier and convince yourself you are being re-energized.

How long has the clock change been at noon? I don't remember it happening on our 2011 trip. Maybe that explains why we were always late :D

I have seen reports here of the noon clock change for eastbound crossings occurring as early as some 2012 voyages and that this was at the captain's discretion at that time.

There is also a post from Peter Shanks in the old "Q&A with Peter Shanks" thread dated February 18th, 2013 which provides some additional thoughts on the rationale for the change. Here is a partial quote from that post by Peter Shanks.

... As for the clock change - we have been trialling a midday change in one direction from New York to Southampton - it is very tough for the ship's company as they lose an hour's sleep each night. By changing to a midday change - it helps our crew - and it has led to our guests staying up later in the evenings and experiencing more of the entertainment. It has been a welcome change. ...

I personally much prefer the old system where the clock change occurred at night for eastbound crossings but I do understand how the current system would benefit the crew.

Regards,

John.