UDP, Cagney's and Christmas

vicocala

Hi everyone,

For my first cruise with NCL I am going to three specialties, Cagney's, Le Bistro and Moderno. With the talk of Cagney's going a la carte, and reading that the UDP doesn't cover special holiday dinners (Christmas is specifically excluded), should I jump in and book the UDP to guarantee Cagney's?

First is a Christmas Cruise on the Escape. The Christmas dinner's mentioned confuse me. Do all restaurant's do special dinners or is it more specific to a certain venue?

Second is spring break on the Spirit. Are there enough specialty restaurants on the smaller ships to make this worthwhile?

So UDP or order as I cruise? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

For my first cruise with NCL I am going to three specialties, Cagney's, Le Bistro and Moderno. With the talk of Cagney's going a la carte, and reading that the UDP doesn't cover special holiday dinners (Christmas is specifically excluded), should I jump in and book the UDP to guarantee Cagney's?

First is a Christmas Cruise on the Escape. The Christmas dinner's mentioned confuse me. Do all restaurant's do special dinners or is it more specific to a certain venue?

Second is spring break on the Spirit. Are there enough specialty restaurants on the smaller ships to make this worthwhile?

I would not expect Cagney's to be grandfathered in with the UDP, and even if it is if you are only planning on 3 specialty restaurants it is not worth the cost.

I would not expect Cagney's to be grandfathered in with the UDP, and even if it is if you are only planning on 3 specialty restaurants it is not worth the cost.

Why wouldn't it be grandfathered in? Some type if not Cagney's would need to be available as a steakhouse is advertised as being a part of the package. A reasonable and prudent person would conclude that Cagney's is that restaurant as of this day.

I'm not planning on only three restaurants (or visits for that matter) on those future cruises. Those three I am paying for individually on my June cruise. My question deals with Christmas and the smaller ship, Spirit.

Thanks for replying. Any other answers?

Hi everyone,

I think your best bet for guaranteeing a Cagney's reservation is to book it online at 90 days out when booking becomes available--or if in a suite, I think it is 100 days. I don't think having the UDP will necessarily guarantee you will get in once onboard. I've seen a few posts lately where people had trouble getting reservations due to all the people onboard with the UDP since so many had it as a booking perk.

I've never had the UDP before, but I believe if you do decide to buy it, when you make the reservation, it is at no charge. If you don't have it, you have to pay via credit card when you reserve online.

I doubt Cagney's will be grandfathered in. Nothing, except the DSC, has been grand-fathered in at this point.

And, FWIW, the increase in DSC wasn't fully "grandfathered in," either. The only way to pay the (lower) DSC that was posted when many booked and/or made final payment was to PRE-PAY the DSC before boarding the ship (and before having received the service).

I doubt Cagney's will be grandfathered in. Nothing, except the DSC, has been grand-fathered in at this point.

Cagney's has to be grandfathered in. I have bought and paid in full for a service. If they try to charge me I will simply dispute the cost of that dinner with my Credit Card and will not pay it. Changing some rules is one thing, but selling a service and then changing it after the money has changed hands is an entirely different form of fraud. Once a service offer is made and accepted and the money changes hands a contract is formed. Its a clear meeting of the minds. Nothing in the TOS for the UDP says that it is subject to change on what places are available.

6&8

Cagney's has to be grandfathered in. I have bought and paid in full for a service. If they try to charge me I will simply dispute the cost of that dinner with my Credit Card and will not pay it. Changing some rules is one thing, but selling a service and then changing it after the money has changed hands is an entirely different form of fraud. Once a service offer is made and accepted and the money changes hands a contract is formed. Its a clear meeting of the minds. Nothing in the TOS for the UDP says that it is subject to change on what places are available.

6&8

I'm aware of what a contract is LOL They have already changed the terms. Cirque was removed. Only sailings before July 2nd are getting the dinner show on the first night.

The terms and conditions specify what is included for sailings before July 2nd of this year, and what is included after. I see no mention of Cagney's being excluded; however, I would not doubt for a second that sleezy FDR would try to change that :rolleyes:

Edited by SissasMomE

And, FWIW, the increase in DSC wasn't fully "grandfathered in," either. The only way to pay the (lower) DSC that was posted when many booked and/or made final payment was to PRE-PAY the DSC before boarding the ship (and before having received the service).

I see nothing wrong with that. We always pre-pay. For the people who don't, what is the big deal? You pre-pay it 48 hours before you board to lock in the rate.

I see nothing wrong with that. We always pre-pay. For the people who don't, what is the big deal? You pre-pay it 48 hours before you board to lock in the rate.

My point was that the DSC increase wasn't fully grandfathered in. How you pay DSC and/or whether you have a problem is irrelevant to my point.

My point was that the DSC increase wasn't fully grandfathered in. How you pay DSC and/or whether you have a problem is irrelevant to my point.

It was grandfathered in. If you want to take advantage of it, you pre-pay. The purser's desk has no knowledge on when you booked your cruise, or what rules apply to each passenger.

It was grandfathered in. If you want to take advantage of it, you pre-pay. The purser's desk has no knowledge on when you booked your cruise, or what rules apply to each passenger.

Before they raised the DSC you had the option to pay it before you cruised, or when you were on the ship. After they raised the price the only way you could pay the DSC that was current at the time of booking and/or final payment was to pre-pay.

I feel confident you understand that the option to pay ON BOARD at the old rate was NOT grandfathered in. That was the point of my original reply to your post.

So even in the ONE policy area where NCL provided some degree of advance warning -- the increase in DSC -- they did not fully grandfather in those who'd already booked and/or made final payment.

6&8

Nothing has to be grandfathered in. Your remedy is simply a refund of the amount that you paid for the UDP. if you try to dispute the charge with your CC company you will not prevail.

All terms and conditions are governed by the cruise contract and all can be changed at anytime without notice.

Nothing has to be grandfathered in. Your remedy is simply a refund of the amount that you paid for the UDP. if you try to dispute the charge with your CC company you will not prevail.

All terms and conditions are governed by the cruise contract and all can be changed at anytime without notice.

I agree. People book cruises sometimes so far in advance that policies change. I booked a cabana, and wristbands for the hippo slide were included. By the time of my sailing, they weren't. I could keep the cabana, or chose to unbook it. Wine dispensers used to be included with the UBP, now they are not. I'm sure NCL has a smart legal team. Does it stink when these changes happen? Yes, but they are legal.

Sigh. Hijacked. Any thoughts on getting the UDP at Christmas or on a smaller ship like, specifically, the Spirit?

I don't think it was hijacked. I think folks were warning that if you book the UDP, that Cagneys might not be included, since it's rumored that will be the case.

Op you asked multiple questions in your opening post and people are responding to different parts

Unfortunately the nature of cc means people will debate the answer. Just use the bits there are helpful to you

Re the spirit it has a lot less specialty than the escape but the best thing to do is work out how many times you would eat in the restaurants they have and add up the cost v the cost of udp.

We've done cagneys on Christmas Day by booking it in advance no problem, same with le bistro.

Using the UDP?

From the Terms and Conditions:

Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.).

The cruise contract has nothing to do with the purchase of the UDP. That is a seperate transaction which was for a specific service. I most certainly will prevail with the credit card. I will not sign any sales slip and will dispute it on board.

6&8

Hi everyone,

The Main Dining Rooms will have a wonderful Christmas Dinner. In the past, it has been a unique menu just for Christmas. We found it to be of better quality than the regular MDR meals, but we are also typically satisfied with the MDR meals. The last time we were on a cruise over Christmas, it seemed like most people ate that special meal rather than having dinner at a specialty. That with the special Christmas show right afterward really put us in the holiday spirit.

If you are worried about getting a table on the evenings you want, just reserve and pay for the dinner ahead of time. You can do it 90 days out. That will be cheaper than the UDP and you will know you have your desired times. Just make sure you do it as soon as you can as they only allow a small number of advanced reservations.

Edited by drvalo

The cruise contract has nothing to do with the purchase of the UDP. That is a seperate transaction which was for a specific service. I most certainly will prevail with the credit card. I will not sign any sales slip and will dispute it on board.

6&8

As I used to work for a bank for 10 years in fraud/disputes, I know for a fact if you use even part of said service, you're on the hook for all of it. I can't tell you how many people dispute part of the service but expect a full refund. My advise is to cancel the UDP. Save yourself the headache you obviously think is coming.:D

6&8

The cruise contract controls everything that is done on the ship.

The Main Dining Rooms will have a wonderful Christmas Dinner. In the past, it has been a unique menu just for Christmas. We found it to be of better quality than the regular MDR meals, but we are also typically satisfied with the MDR meals. The last time we were on a cruise over Christmas, it seemed like most people ate that special meal rather than having dinner at a specialty. That with the special Christmas show right afterward really put us in the holiday spirit.

If you are worried about getting a table on the evenings you want, just reserve and pay for the dinner ahead of time. You can do it 90 days out. That will be cheaper than the UDP and you will know you have your desired times. Just make sure you do it as soon as you can as they only allow a small number of advanced reservations.

Thanks, that is what I did for the June cruise. I guess what I will do is see how things go on the cruise in a couple of weeks, talk to some of those in Cagney's and try to go from there.

Thanks, that is what I did for the June cruise. I guess what I will do is see how things go on the cruise in a couple of weeks, talk to some of those in Cagney's and try to go from there.

Yes, that will probably be a good plan. The problem is, no one can tell you what is really happening at Cagney's and whether the UDP would be honored for Cagney's in December. Who knows anything at this point? It's all speculation right now.

It does seem, though, if you only want to eat in the specialies three nights that buying the UDP is not worth it AND having the UDP will not guarantee you anything really.

Also, what we found is that once on board even though you might be unable to secure a reservation at your desired time, you usually can just show up when you want to eat and have no problem getting a table (with just a few exceptions). So, even if you want to change your mind about a time to eat, you probably can cancel your reservation and go when you'd prefer (once you have more information about how you are spending your time).

Have a wonderful cruise in June!!!!!