20 year old and drinking, out of Southhampton

The cruise line would find themselves at a distinct disadvantage throughout Europe if they brought in heavy age restrictions in Europe whereas all other lines adopted an 18 age limit.

Technically in Europe they market the 18 years age limit for ALL alcoholic drinks and incidentally also sailing alone! In US it's 21 all round.

My political opinion is that the US had issues with alcohol and brought in prohibition years ago and the authorities are still a bit uncertain on what age is appropriate for alcoholic drinking in many states

Regards John.

Edited by john watson

Even though the drinking age in the UK and Europe is 18, it's 21 on board and I may be wrong and it could have changed but I believe you still need to have a consent form signed by an parent to be able to drink on the ship in Europe.

As I said this may now have changed but I remember meeting a couple a year or two back and he was 21 and she was 19 and she was not allowed to drink as noone was able to sign her consent form as no other family were on board. Her boyfriend was not able to sign for her. :(

I thought this was daft as she was over 18 but 'rules are rules' is what she was told by Royal.

Maybe worth checking?

It's 18, I could drink on Liberty in October at 20, however on Quantum in February I couldn't (turned 21 the day after). No parental consents required. However you cannot order an alcoholic drinks package precruise in the planner unless the guest is 21 (apparently for technical reasons)

Q: What is the minimum age requirement to consume alcoholic beverages?

A: The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America remains at twenty-one (21). Any sailing that includes a US port the minimum drinking age is 21, even when orginating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

On reading the RCI rules it appears that if you sail west it's 18 (as you are leaving Europe) whereas if you sail east it's 21 (as you are leaving USA). However the cruise line reserves the right to, on rare occasions where local laws require it, to raise the limit to 21.

On other lines they have raised the age limit when in territorial waters of USA including US Virgin Islands etc. then reduced them to 18 at sea and when in non-US ports. On a TA it will go 21 when you are in the US waters on the last day, I should think.

Throughout the Mediterranean, ex-Southampton it should be 18 virtually ALL cruise lines throughout the cruise.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On reading the RCI rules it appears that if you sail west it's 18 (as you are leaving Europe) whereas if you sail east it's 21 (as you are leaving USA). However the cruise line reserves the right to, on rare occasions where local laws require it, to raise the limit to 21.

On other lines they have raised the age limit when in territorial waters of USA including US Virgin Islands etc. then reduced them to 18 at sea and when in non-US ports. On a TA it will go 21 when you are in the US waters on the last day, I should think.

Throughout the Mediterranean, ex-Southampton it should be 18 virtually ALL cruise lines throughout the cruise.

Regards John

I would take it to mean that any TA would be 21 as they include a US port. Like most things Royal though it may vary by ship and they may allow it either after the last US port heading East or up until the first US port when heading back West.

I would take it to mean that any TA would be 21 as they include a US port. Like most things Royal though it may vary by ship and they may allow it either after the last US port heading East or up until the first US port when heading back West.

Well I read the rules on the cruise line web site and they specifically say "On sailings from" as the criterion for the age limit relating to alcoholic drinks consumption they do not say "including a US port". They also specifically say that the ship will respect local laws which I interpret as when in a port they will go by that countries laws, raising and lowering the limit as appropriate.

Regards John

Well I read the rules on the cruise line web site and they specifically say "On sailings from" as the criterion for the age limit relating to alcoholic drinks consumption they do not say "including a US port". They also specifically say that the ship will respect local laws which I interpret as when in a port they will go by that countries laws, raising and lowering the limit as appropriate.

Regards John

A: The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America remains at twenty-one (21). Any sailing that includes a US port the minimum drinking age is 21, even when orginating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

When I read the cruise lines web site the red bit you have mentioned does not appear on the web site page I am looking at. I am thinking that there are slightly different web sites published depending where you are viewing the web site from internationally. In the UK no mention is made of "including a US port" on the version I am viewing.

The "on sailings from" scenario does give rise to a ridiculous anomaly if taken exactly as it appears on the website here in the UK.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

• 8 months later...

We were on a cruise out of Barcelona last summer and they allowed 18+ to consume alchohol. But it's funny because not all workers know this. One of friend's 18yo son got the drink package and was fine for several days. One night at dinner the head waiter called aside the dad and told the dad his son was too young to order drinks. My friend said a few choice phrases which included "then why did you sell him the drink package?" Several minutes later the head waiter came back and apologized.

And of course on land (outside of RC private islands) the rule of the land applies regardless of what ship you arrived on. Scotland recently changed their drinking age to 21 (although I'm sure they would not know a fake from a real id unlike most places in the US). Another friend did tell me that they enforced the law when they were there a couple years ago.

Edited by cindivan

I'm not sure that Scotland has actually raised the age to drink to 21 although there have been calls to legislate. What is possible is that a retailer may have a policy not to sell to anyone under 25.

We live in the Netherlands and the largest supermarket chain has the policy to challenge anyone looking under 25 to prove age (legal age to drink here is 18) and this is enforced with spot checks. A local supermarket even had its alcohol licence temporarily revoked for violation.

I'm not sure that Scotland has actually raised the age to drink to 21 although there have been calls to legislate. What is possible is that a retailer may have a policy not to sell to anyone under 25.

We live in the Netherlands and the largest supermarket chain has the policy to challenge anyone looking under 25 to prove age (legal age to drink here is 18) and this is enforced with spot checks. A local supermarket even had its alcohol licence temporarily revoked for violation.

Correct - the law in scotland is actually 17yrs in certain places and with food

The law :-

150 Consumption of alcohol by children

(1) An individual aged under 18 commits an offence if he knowingly consumes alcohol on relevant premises.

(2) A person to whom subsection (3) applies commits an offence if he knowingly allows the consumption of alcohol on relevant premises by an individual aged under 18.

(3) This subsection applies-

(a) to a person who works at the premises in a capacity, whether paid or unpaid, which authorises him to prevent the consumption, and

(b) where the alcohol was supplied by a club to or to the order of a member of the club, to any member or officer of the club who is present at the premises at the time of the consumption in a capacity which enables him to prevent it.

(4) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply where-

(a) the individual is aged 16 or 17,

(b) the alcohol is beer, wine or cider,

© its consumption is at a table meal on relevant premises, and

(d) the individual is accompanied at the meal by an individual aged 18 or over

So, in real language, with a meal is 16 or 17, beer wine or cider only, at the table and in the company of an over 18.

although now very very few places will ever serve under 18yrs.

The 21yrs and over is what many private clubs decide themselves. Also most supermarkets ask for proof of age if they think you look under 25yr (on most signs at check out)

Of note we sailed the US over xmas and new year holidays and the EU over high summer holidays- There was a far bigger issue of teens (16-20) drinking and being stupid on the US sailing than on the EU one - the teens on the EU were drinking in the open and wisely- A different kettle of fish on the usa sailing - I was really worried at how drunk some were getting (easy to do - they just took the drinks off the waiters trays and signed the paper (parents names maybe?) - and on a ship!! We called security to the cabin next to us in which a whole load of teens were partying all night long - with a balcony which they were mucking about on - gave me the shivers I stayed out on ours next door most of the night just in case - security were useless - came twice asked them to quieten down removed some (all came back in 10 mins )- did not go and get the parents.

from their cabin!! We also noted the the 17-20 yrs in the US sailing were just kids and much more like our 15yr old who met up with them at teen club and they all collected at the pool and disco on deck (however, unlike the others she was not allowed to wander about ship any time day or night - collected out side the club at night much to her horror lol) The older ones 19/20 were so young (still running about the ship mucking about and at the stage of trying to sneak alcohol) like our 14-16yrs would and so had absolutely nothing in common with our older girl then aged 20 - final year at uni, just got job offer and was in the process of buying her first house - ie an adult lol On the EU sailing it was the 14-16yr olds that ran about stupid

Edited by fragilek

My daughter is gutted that she cant have a pina colada onboard the oasis...

Does US have a big problem with young drinkers? I know we do here where I live. My daughter is not a big drinker, and she certainly would not be when she is with us. But thems the rules!

My daughter is gutted that she cant have a pina colada onboard the oasis...

Does US have a big problem with young drinkers? I know we do here where I live. My daughter is not a big drinker, and she certainly would not be when she is with us. But thems the rules!

Were are you sailing to - My eldest was 20 when we sailed the Caribbean and stayed in the usa- what we done was treated her to a cocktail when in ports that had an 18yrs age limit. Do not be tempted to break the rules in the usa/ ship as you insurance will be void - We just done 2 week in florida - youngest 18 survived fine lol (although she only ever has the odd malibu and coke anyway)

We fly to Miami and leave from FLL (are they the same place) and it is going to all the Saints.

She has come to terms with it now :)

She can have one or two cocktails in a port. I hear San Juan is the place for Pina Colada.

Anyway, it's always good to remember that you can still have a good time without alcohol.