Mendenhall

CanICruiseSoon

Taxis, from what I hear are kind of expensive. There are buses that travel from the port to Mendenhall and it's about $20 per person ($40 for the 2 of us). We decided to rent a car from First City Car Rental and it's only $65 for the day; figured it was much better to spend the extra $25 and have a car to go everywhere.

Distance is 12.7 miles on a 20 minute ride on Google Maps...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Mount+Roberts+Tramway,+South+Franklin+Street,+Juneau,+AK,+United+States/Mendenhall+Visitor+Center,+East+Glacier+Trail,+Juneau,+AK,+United+States/@58.356654,-134.6409396,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x5400df78576a827b:0xd5153c15cfaef33c!2m2!1d-134.400638!2d58.296168!1m5!1m1!1s0x5400e3d15fa97913:0x672191fadaf172e!2m2!1d-134.5457035!2d58.4173106

Evergreen rates $2.40 per mile plus $3.40.... about $35??? Cabs typically also have a time rate to. My guess $40 to $50 one way for the carload?

You can give them a long distance call for a better estimate...

http://evergreentaxi.com/rates.php

Edited by xlxo

I always thought we need a taxi from Macaulay Salmon Hatchery to Mendenhall Glacier because our ship (Volendam) does not arrive until 1:00 and the last bus picks up people at 6:00, leaving us with only 2.5 hours to hike on two trails and see the whole visitor center. I would be more comfortable having three hours at Mendenhall because we often will stop to take pictures on Photo Point Trail and, if there is time, Steep Creek Trail. Will 2.5 hours be enough time for both trails? If there was a 6:30 shuttle I would never think about taking a taxi.

Edited by CruisingSince2012

The buses are $10.00

Each way. Just did it - $20.00 each plus tax, round trip. Total was $42.00 for the two of us.

I welcome any suggestion that will let me stay at Mendenhall after 6:00 without the stupidly high price of a taxi.

Hmm. The last tour bus leaves Mendenhall at 6 pm - driver was very specific about that. You might look into a city bus? It is discussed frequently on this Alaska board; you can use the Search function. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

There are 2 companies that provide shuttle service. This is for the blue bus of Mighty Great Trips:

BLUE GLACIER EXPRESS

MGT Blue Glacier Express$20 per person roundtrip

This is our no frills experience offering direct transportation 14 miles from downtown to the Mendenhall Glacier. Transportation run every 30 minutes beginning at 9:00am till 6:00pm on most days. Let our Bright Blue Bus take you out to the “Blue Ice Cube.” The Blue Bus picks up in the parking lot next to the Mt. Roberts Tramway in downtown Juneau and next to the Visitor Center at the Mendenhall glacier.

Their web site: http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/

Can't think of the other company ... the white bus, same price.

There won't be cabs waiting at Mendenhall. If your visit is outside the shuttle schedule, and you need a cab, take the phone number with you.

Absolutely right and great point. There is a parking lot and a shuttle bus stop. No cabs.

That's crazy! How can there be no cabs in a city with more people on ships than full time residents? I know there are taxi companies, so I assumed there will be a cab waiting for me at the cruise terminal.

So how am I supposed to go to the salmon hatchery?

City buses? The tour buses are $20.

I welcome any suggestion that will let me stay at Mendenhall after 6:00 without the stupidly high price of a taxi.

I don't know that it's stupidly high ... it's a good 20 minute ride. SeaTac airport to downtown is almost 30 minutes and Yellow Cab charges $40. And this is Alaska , where the tourist season is barely 4 months.

Have you checked your ships roll call to see if anyone else would like to share a cab with you ? Maybe there's someone else who would like to go to Mendenhall but was put off by the shuttle schedule .......

p.s. on occasion the shuttles have run until 7pm so be sure to ask. Perhaps it depends on how many ships are in port that day.

p.p.s. the cheapest option is the city bus. It's a long trip and the stop is almost a mile from Mendenhall. I'll vouche for the fact that it's not a great walk when it's cold and raining

That's crazy! How can there be no cabs in a city with more people on ships than full time residents? I know there are taxi companies, so I assumed there will be a cab waiting for me at the cruise terminal.

So how am I supposed to go to the salmon hatchery?

I heard a taxi to the hatchery is pretty expensive. We rented a car from Avis. Pretty cheap!

I think the next time we go to Juneau that I'd like to rent a car. We took one of the buses the first time we were there, but it was a miserable drizzly day. We did not hike very far but enjoyed seeing the glacier from the viewing point near the exhibits. On our most recent trip, we kayaked in Mendenhall Lake. That was fun even though it was also another drizzly day.

All I really want to do is go to Mendenhall and the Salmon Bake. Not at all interested in going to the Hatchery as I have been there before and that is what the ships tour offers. I want more time at the Glacier. If you take the tour with the above 3, you dont really get enough time at Mendenhall. Any options/opinions?

Edited by CanICruiseSoon

All I really want to do is go to Mendenhall and the Salmon Bake. Not at all interested in going to the Hatchery as I have been there before and that is what the ships tour offers. I want more time at the Glacier. If you take the tour with the above 3, you dont really get enough time at Mendenhall. Any options/opinions?

I do not know about the salmon bake. Salmon is yucky to me.

Twice I have gotten off the ship and gone to one of the booths right on the pier and purchased round trip tickets to Mendenhall and back from the Blue Bus people. They run every 30 minutes. So I took the next one to the glacier, then when I was done at the glacier I hung out by the bus pick up until the next one came by to pick people up. I was able to spend as much time there as I wanted, as late as they ran. But I was never there that late. How late do you want to stay?

Edited by cavecreekguy

I do not know about the salmon bake. Salmon is yucky to me.

I have been to several salmon bakes and chicken and prime rib were offered as alternatives to salmon. I would recommend the salmon bake. Great experience. And salmon in Alaska is great.

Depends on how it's prepared.... I found BBQ's to be kinda dry. I prefer it at a sushi bar...

I kept trying salmon for ten years thinking "Oh, maybe I'll like it prepared a different way." Yes I even tried it at a sushi bar. I just don't like it. And that's o.k.

When we were in Juneau it was for a full day (8 or 10 till 6:00 maybe?). Anyway.

We took one of the buses (I forget if it was blue or white - they were the same price - we took the first one that came) and at the time it was $16 pp round trip. We went to Mendenhall in the morning. We hiked to the falls, stood around taking pictures, hiked back and walked on another trail for a bit. We didn't go in the visitors centre. We got a bus back to Juneau before noon. The driver gave a narration on the way to the glacier, pointed out the hatchery, etc. but we didn't stop anywhere.

In the afternoon we did the Taku Lodge glacier flight and salmon feast. It was the best salmon we ever had. We still talk about it. The flight was great, the lodge and food were great. It is right across from Taku glacier. After our lunch was ready and we started eating, we were called back outside (quietly) to come see the bear that was hanging out at the bbq grill. We also went for a narrated nature walk before we left.

We got back in time to do some shopping in Juneau before we had to board. That was an awesome day.