Boarding Later

Grumpy100

We are going on the Carnival Conquest on Saturday and got an email asking us to come between 2-3. This will be our 5th cruise and if we board that late probably will not have a good choice of parking.

We have been on about 25 cruises and this is a first for us asking us to get there later on.

Has anyone else ever gotten an email on any cruise line, or Carnival, asking to come later and board last.

I plan on getting there at 11 am anyway and hope we won't be denied boarding at a later time. I would be really pissed. I feel that since this is out 5th cruise we should be allowed to board anytime.

We will be driving down to the port.

Thanks.

Show up at 10:30. This email is so ridiculous. A ton of people get it. Many of them will obey the orders to not show up until 2:00. If enough people obey it, then it will be a horrible madhouse in the terminal at 2:00, and the workers will be in a terrible rush to get everyone boarded in time. There are many reports of this happening. Carnival is trying to scatter the crowds, but it sometimes backfires on them. We have gotten the email or call to not show up until later, and we always show up early anyway. No problems at all.

There are the occasional times that there is a delay with the ship starting the boarding process, for one reason or another (very rare--the cruiseline that cries wolf comes into play there). I would still want to show up to the port early. It's better to be first in line, waiting at the terminal; than to wait at McDonalds, then be last in line at the terminal.

Edited by k2excursion

And just like the threads about making an early flight where people respond "oh, we just do self assist and are always there in plenty of time." It doesn't mean that this will be the case for any other individual on any other sailing.

So, yes, just go ahead and be there early - like everyone else. Boarding in FLL can be very congested. Just getting the shuttle/taxi/car to the pier can take a long time.

There's a reason they want to stagger boarding. "Oh, but I paid for FTTF so I have to be one of the first on the ship!!!" The same people who pay for FTTF because they don't "like" lines are willing to arrive early at the port with the rest of the early mob to check in and wait to board. I must be missing something! :p

You may be able to board right away. You may not. Please don't come back and complain about how awful Carnival is if it turns out you couldn't board right away!

I'm on the 5/31 sailing and am supposed to share a taxi from the hotel to the port with some other Roll Call people. I'm sorely tempted to let them go without me (if they want to leave the hotel at 9:30) and just go over at about 1:30. I'm sort of over the whole be-on-the-ship early thing. Sure, I'd like a Guy's Burger or Fish & Chips for lunch, but it's not like I won't be stuffing myself for the next 8 nights, right? ;)

We are going on the Carnival Conquest on Saturday and got an email asking us to come between 2-3. This will be our 5th cruise and if we board that late probably will not have a good choice of parking.

We have been on about 25 cruises and this is a first for us asking us to get there later on.

Has anyone else ever gotten an email on any cruise line, or Carnival, asking to come later and board last.

I plan on getting there at 11 am anyway and hope we won't be denied boarding at a later time. I would be really pissed. I feel that since this is out 5th cruise we should be allowed to board anytime.

We will be driving down to the port.

Thanks.

Ignore the letter but keep the possibility open that there may be a delay, so prepare with ample snacks and drink just in case.

But the odds are in your favor. This seems to be Carnivals odd way to handle crowd control, while profiting on FTTF on the unsuspecting.

I realize that the OP has a parking issue. I, on the other hand, find that boarding late is wonderful! There is NO LINE, walk right into the terminal after sailing through luggage scanning. Fill out the Health Questionnaire, and walk up to one of the many open check-in counters. Usually the photo people are packing up so no need to stop for a picture. It the the most peaceful way to start the cruise!

Ignore the letter but keep the possibility open that there may be a delay, so prepare with ample snacks and drink just in case.

But the odds are in your favor. This seems to be Carnivals odd way to handle crowd control, while profiting on FTTF on the unsuspecting.

We ignore the call as well. On occasion boarding is delayed but generally it is on time

This is the email we got about our boarding time yesterday.

May 18, 2015

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Conquest. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we will be implementing staggered check-in windows for your cruise. Your assigned check-in time is from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. We kindly ask that you make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside of their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time.

We highly recommend you check-in at least one hour prior to our scheduled departure time of 4:00 PM. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Lastly, if you have not yet registered for your cruise online, please take a moment to do so now as it will speed up your check-in at the pier. Visit us at www.carnival.com/BookedGuest to register and print your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

20150416_ArleneM_Sig_200x47.jpg

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Solutions and Special Services

ample parking in Port Everglades

park in Midport Garage - Conquest only ship using this one garage

Interesting to know - this is the parking lot to use at the port? We are cruising on the Conquets in October and this is good to know. I am one of those who likes to know as much as I can before going somewhere.

As for the letter, if the letter stated that they had an inspection or something like that, I would pay attention to it. If it is a generic "here is your check in time", I would ignore it. As mentioned above, we have paid for FTTF and we will not be put off boarding until a later time.

Carnival really needs to use filters for sending those e-mails out. They should not be sent to anyone with FTTF or Platinum or above.

Interesting to know - this is the parking lot to use at the port? We are cruising on the Conquets in October and this is good to know. I am one of those who likes to know as much as I can before going somewhere.

As for the letter, if the letter stated that they had an inspection or something like that, I would pay attention to it. If it is a generic "here is your check in time", I would ignore it. As mentioned above, we have paid for FTTF and we will not be put off boarding until a later time.

Carnival really needs to use filters for sending those e-mails out. They should not be sent to anyone with FTTF or Platinum or above.

I am platinum so how does it make sense that first time sailors might get 11:30-1:30 window and I get 12:30-2:30 window?! This is my first email about this

I am platinum so how does it make sense that first time sailors might get 11:30-1:30 window and I get 12:30-2:30 window?! This is my first email about this

Exactly my point. No filter at all on those e-mails. Not only do we have FTTF, but my DM has MS and uses a wheelchair/walker/cane as needed. We will be parking in a handicap space and if we waited until late to get to port, we probably wouldn't get a spot.

Exactly my point. No filter at all on those e-mails. Not only do we have FTTF, but my DM has MS and uses a wheelchair/walker/cane as needed. We will be parking in a handicap space and if we waited until late to get to port, we probably wouldn't get a spot.

Drop her off and then park. I can't recall any port where the handicap parking was "close" to the terminal. I took my grandmother with us on our last cruise out of New Orleans. It would have been a huge ordeal to drag our luggage and her in a wheelchair to check in.

Instead, I dropped her and the family off and let my wife deal with her and the porters while I parked and walked back. I truly feel sorry for any disabled driver, they should have a valet or something. It may be close, but 100 yards or further away is hardly close if you have trouble walking.

I got both an email and a phone call from Carnival. I missed the first one so the system called again to tell me.

I'm driving in, so I'll get there when I get there. If I have to wait, so be it.

I think it is hilarious that the letter says you may be asked to come back later. Yeah right! Like they even know who got what time assigned to them. Clearly they have no clue or control of what their automated system is sending out or fttf and Platinum wouldn't get it. Totally bogus.

I got both an email and a phone call from Carnival. I missed the first one so the system called again to tell me.

I'm driving in, so I'll get there when I get there. If I have to wait, so be it.

We too are driving in and plan on getting there early. If I have to wait that's fine too. I will bring some snacks and water just in case. :eek::eek::eek:

This is the email we got about our boarding time yesterday.

May 18, 2015

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Conquest. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we will be implementing staggered check-in windows for your cruise. Your assigned check-in time is from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. We kindly ask that you make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside of their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time.

We highly recommend you check-in at least one hour prior to our scheduled departure time of 4:00 PM. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Lastly, if you have not yet registered for your cruise online, please take a moment to do so now as it will speed up your check-in at the pier. Visit us at www.carnival.com/BookedGuest to register and print your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

20150416_ArleneM_Sig_200x47.jpg

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Solutions and Special Services

I got the same letter, with the exception of the time: Your assigned check-in time is from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.

Sorry, Carnival, I will not arrive at the peak boarding time. I prefer to miss most of the crowds when boarding the ship. I do not deal well with being in the middle of a crowd. It tends to make me feel a tad claustrophobic. If I have to wait, I wait.

I got the same letter, with the exception of the time: Your assigned check-in time is from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.

Sorry, Carnival, I will not arrive at the peak boarding time. I prefer to miss most of the crowds when boarding the ship. I do not deal well with being in the middle of a crowd. It tends to make me feel a tad claustrophobic. If I have to wait, I wait.

I will be glad to wait if they give out free beer :eek::eek::eek:

We ignore the call as well. On occasion boarding is delayed but generally it is on time

Everybody is saying to ignore the letter. That's why there is a problem. If everyone cooperated as Carnival is suggesting, it would go a lot smoother. It could get to the point that Carnival will issue you an appointment time to board and then everyone would really complain. Why is it so hard to get people to comply? I am not picking on you, believe me, but if everyone ignores the e-mail, then nothing is accomplished. Then CCL will do something and then the complaints will start again.

Everybody is saying to ignore the letter. That's why there is a problem. If everyone cooperated as Carnival is suggesting, it would go a lot smoother. It could get to the point that Carnival will issue you an appointment time to board and then everyone would really complain. Why is it so hard to get people to comply? I am not picking on you, believe me, but if everyone ignores the e-mail, then nothing is accomplished. Then CCL will do something and then the complaints will start again.

Perhaps it is because they sometimes ask you to arrive during the busiest hours? Perhaps because it is sent randomly, with no regard to past guest status or FTTF? Perhaps because it appears it is not sent to everyone, but some subset? Perhaps because it ignores your travel reality and there is no way to make adjustments? Perhaps it is just the wording, may, kindly, ask, please. Very submissive and begging to be ignored.

They are trying to get thousands of guests off a ship and then thousands of different guests onto a ship in a relatively short period of time. When it is all said and done, it is a pretty efficient operation. They are effectively turning over a Las Vegas megaresort in a day. If anyone has ever checked in on a busy Friday night or checked out on Sunday morning, Carnival is light years ahead in efficiency.

I'll show up when my plans dictate and if I have to wait some, so be it. I'd much rather wait INSIDE the terminal than outside.

I'm ignoring it for a variety of reasons. The biggest being I'll need to be checked out of my hotel by 11am. I'm not going to hang around the hotel lobby until about 12;15 or so. If I need to wait, I'll wait by the ship.

Carnival needs realize that just because they want the passengers to be there at X time, it may not be convenient for most of the passengers. What about those arriving the day of the cruise at the airport early in the morning? Are they supposed to kill a few hours there before they head over at their "requested time"?

I get there because I can and also because of the hotel's checkout time. The latest I've ever arrived is 11am. In every single case and on every single cruise (Carnival and Celebrity) I've been on board by noon.

No matter what time people will arrive, there will be a line. Might as well just allow people to do what's best for them in terms of timing.