First time cruisers questions

With only a week to go until our first ever cruise, I have a few queries.

Embarkation - we are driving to Southampton and have prebooked parking. After parking up, what is the procedure? When are our bags taken etc?

Muster drill - what does the involve? We have a teen with autism, and a 10 year old with sensory issues (loud noise being one issue), so would like to be as prepared as possible.

Dining - can we eat in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch, if so do we have to book? Do we sit at a specific table?

Drinks packages - we have soda packages for the kids, beer/wine for us, how does this work? Do we show our pass? Can we order drinks from our packages whilst in the dining room?

Port days - what is the procedure for getting off/on? Are the restaurants open whilst in port?

Activities/shows - how do these work? If we want to do any of them, do we have to book?

Disembarkation - is there a set time? What is the procedure?

TIA from a clueless poster. :)

With regard to dining, the Main Dining Room is open every day for breakfast, and usually only sea days for lunch. No reservations are taken, you just show up and they put you at the next available table. Your choice if you want to sit alone or with others.

With regard to the beverage packages, you just show your card. These packages work in any bar or restaurant. They do not work for room service or your stateroom mini-bar.

Shows are ship dependent. If you are on Explorer, shows are first come first served, except the ice show which is assigned by muster station.

Edited by clarea

Embarkation - we are driving to Southampton and have prebooked parking. After parking up, what is the procedure? When are our bags taken etc?

I've never departed from Southampton, but generally you leave your bags with porters outside the door of the terminal. Make sure you have the right luggage tags on them, securely fastened, which indicate your name and cabin number. They're colour coded to help them get to the right place, so try print them in colour if you can.

Once you've dropped the bags you'll go in through security (like an airport) - hand luggage through x-ray, you go through a metal detector. Then queue up to check in. There'll be loads of people and signs to guide you through. Once you've checked in, you'll get a card each, and you can use that to board the ship.

Muster drill - what does the involve? We have a teen with autism, and a 10 year old with sensory issues (loud noise being one issue), so would like to be as prepared as possible.

Muster drills are loud, and the run up to them is loud as well, with a lot of announcements. Look on youtube for muster drill videos. As well as all the announcements, and people all over the place, there will be 7 loud whistles over the PA, followed by one long one. Contact the special needs dept and see if there's an alternative (quieter) muster drill for passengers with autism.

Dining - can we eat in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch, if so do we have to book? Do we sit at a specific table?

You'll get a Cruise Compass each day that tells you what's going on around the ship. It includes all the opening hours of each eatery. The main dining room is usually open for breakfast every day, and for lunch on sea days (but check the Compass). If it's open, just wander down during the opening hours and you'll get a table - you may have to queue if you pick a busy time.

Drinks packages - we have soda packages for the kids, beer/wine for us, how does this work? Do we show our pass? Can we order drinks from our packages whilst in the dining room?

They'll swipe your card at the bar, and recognise the drinks packages. At the dining room, they'll take your card when taking your order, and bring it back to you later. Often for the soda packages they don't bother swiping.

Port days - what is the procedure for getting off/on? Are the restaurants open whilst in port?

All that information will be in your daily Cruise Compass, so don't worry :) There's always somewhere to eat while in port, but not every restaurant will be open. If you're leaving the ship, just head to the gangway (location will be announced, and in the Cruise Compass). They'll swipe your card as you get off, and swipe again when you return so that you're all accounted for.

Activities/shows - how do these work? If we want to do any of them, do we have to book?

That depends on the ship. On most ships you just turn up, but on the bigger ones, you may have to book, or queue in a wait list line. Guess where all the info will be? :)

You'll be assigned a disembarkation slot (usually between 7-9am) and a location to gather at (one of the lounges). You wait there in the morning until your slot is called, then walk off. There's also self-disembarkation (where you can walk off first thing in the morning, carrying all your own suitcases). On the last night of the cruise you'll need to put your suitcases outside the door by 10/11pm, so remember to have a bag big enough to bring last minute things (toiletries/night clothes/what you were wearing the last night) with you when you're leaving in the morning. Generally I put my suitcase out before dinner, and don't see it until I get off the ship the next morning.

Edited by Thoie

My DW has a problem standing for long periods and on our Jan 15 cruise I just asked a crew member prior to the drill starting if she could wait in the lounge near the drill station. Permission was granted and a crew member was in the lounge to demonstrate drill procedures.

Our Sea Pass's were taken outside to be scanned to show we had attended Muster.

You will be directed by port staff and drive your car to bags drop off point. Porters will take all your bags and have them delivered to your cabin. Once the bags have been offloaded from the car, you will park up. The car park is directly across the road from the cruise terminal. You will walk over to the cruise terminal with your hand luggage to check-in.

On your Seapass card there usually is a large letter and a number on it, this is your muster station. Your muster station is also displays on the back of your cabin door too. At the time of muster drill, you will head up to your muster station and provide your cabin number to a staff who is doing a register to make sure everybody has attended. There will be a series of loud blast of the alarm to make you aware what is the emergency alarm sounds like then you will have to wait for the captain to dismiss you. It is no longer needed to take your life jacket with you for muster drill.

No booking necessary for breakfast and lunch in the MDR. You will be seated by the waiter. You don't sit at the same table as dinner. Normally MDR is only open for lunch on sea day.

You can get a drink at any bar, in the MDR or from any roaming bar staff. Drinks from the MDR maybe limited though. You will either show them or give them your seapass card when ordering. Normally when ordering alcohol they will need your seapass card to swipe but for soda they might just ask to see it.

As above, MDR usually not open on port days for lunch. Make sure you take your seapass card with you when disembarking. You will head down to the lower deck (look at your cruise compass and there will also be signs on the ship) for disembarkation. You just stick your seapass card in the machine to register you getting off the ship and you are off.

The majority of shows and activities you just turn up at the said time. The ice show you might need tickets in advance, again keep an eye out on the cruise compass.

A few nights before the end of your cruise, there will be a form for you to fill in asking you what time you will want to disembark. A couple of night before, you will receive some luggage tags. You will need to pack and put your luggage outside your cabin on the last night for collection. You will not see your luggage again until you are inside Southampton cruise terminal. Make sure you have a spare bag to pack your final night PJ, toiletries etc. On departure morning, have a nice breakfast in the Windjammer and be at your departure lounge on the ship at the given time and be called to disembark.

My answers are in red above.

Edited by sky0000547

Thank you all so much for all the info - I feel so much more prepared when knowing what to expect and how it all works.

Can I just ask, what time does breakfast start in the Windjammer and MDR? We are thinking it will be quieter if we go early, is this correct?

Thank you all so much for all the info - I feel so much more prepared when knowing what to expect and how it all works.

Can I just ask, what time does breakfast start in the Windjammer and MDR? We are thinking it will be quieter if we go early, is this correct?

Restaurant operation hours vary daily. Check out the Cruise Compass (daily schedule) for details.

Yes, you are correct, unless it is an early port day in which case it seems like everyone is in the WJ! :D There is usually what is called an "Early Bird breakfast" which is light pastries and beverages (approx. 6 am), with the full buffet opening about an hour later (7 am). As Bob said above, the hours will all be posted and adjusted for port arrival times, but yes, it's quieter early on. It's actually a really lovely time in the early morning before everyone is up. :)

As others have said it could be different very day. But generally you could be looking at 7am for Windjammer and 8am for MDR. Sometimes it could be as early as 6.30am for Windjammer and 7am for MDR. So keep an eye out on the cruise compass.

In regards to your final evening and packing your luggage, it is very important to set out some clothes you wish to wear that morning. We pack the last minute items, nightwear, toilitries etc in our carry ons I also hand carry my camera and never pack it so anything you want to get to before your main luggage gets to your room, have it in your carry on. Your rooms will be ready by 1PM. If you have not done your Online checkin I would go into your bookings and fill out the information. It will ask you for your on board acct, either cash or credit card. Once final payment is made, the Print will highlight within 47 days of departure. In regards to the Docs you really only need to print out the last page showing your luggage tags.

The MDR breakfast is much quieter and nicer than the buffet experience. You are seated, and waited on...no juggling plates and utensils and dodging other passengers while trying to get what you want....just tell the waiter, and they bring it all to you!

Leaving from Southampton is really straight forward, is your parking booked with ABP? If is follow directions from the port staff at Gate 8 they will direct you to car park. Once in parking space get luggage out of car and hand to port staff who will be close by (make sure it has RCI luggage tags on) and that's it. Walk to terminal building (2 mins) and check in, probably be on board within 30 mins of arriving. Remember to take what you need for the afternoon in your hand luggage as your cases may not appear until early evening (but usually sooner!) and you don't normally get into staterooms until after 1pm.

On our first cruise my husband didn't believe parking was so simply, he thought we had to hand keys over and car would be moved! It took me a few minutes to convince him our car was staying there right beside ship.

Have a great trip

Michelle x

In regards to your final evening and packing your luggage, it is very important to set out some clothes you wish to wear that morning. We pack the last minute items, nightwear, toilitries etc in our carry ons I also hand carry my camera and never pack it so anything you want to get to before your main luggage gets to your room, have it in your carry on. Your rooms will be ready by 1PM. If you have not done your Online checkin I would go into your bookings and fill out the information. It will ask you for your on board acct, either cash or credit card. Once final payment is made, the Print will highlight within 47 days of departure. In regards to the Docs you really only need to print out the last page showing your luggage tags.

just want to add to this... it is recommended you keep all medications with you in the carry-on bag when getting on the ship (and if flying too). The luggage can take several hours to get to your cabin.

Ok. Not trying to scare you but we travelled last year with our autistic 6 year old daughter and her 4 year old sister who also has sensory issues.

I notified the cruise line in advance, had many many phonecalls with representatives that we would get certain accomodations... got there... and got NONE of them. ZERO.

Priority boarding? No try waiting for hours in line while my 6 year old melts down.

Seperate muster drill? Nope. They forced us to attend the regular drill. The problem was NOT the blasts from the horn. The problem was being utterly crammed with hundreds of people into an inside muster area making it hot, sweaty and full of constant noise and movement from hundreds of people. My kids about lost it in there.

A dining table near the wall at the same time every evening? Nope. They changed our reserved dining time to "my time" and I had to call every night for a reservation, and obviously different table and server everynight... FUN.

Anyway we made it through and still had a mostly enjoyable vacation, but the staff on the ship itself was wholly ignorant about autism despite claims on the website to the contrary.

Driving from Solihull, I assume you are doing M40, A34, M3, M27, M271, A33 into the docks. I don't know what the kids are like in the car, but be be aware that at the A34 approach to the M3 (near Winchester) there is nearly always a 2 mile queue, so you will be crawling for 30 minutes or so. Otherwise, you should have no problems. Once you come off the M271 and turn left towards the docks, keep an eye out for the big illuminated signs which will have the ships name on them and tell you where to go (should be Dock gate 8). On arrival at the gate, they will tell you where to go. Sometimes they will take the luggage from you first, sometimes they will have Transits to put luggage into (depending on which car park you are using). Don't worry...its all well organised. We normally keep a couple of small cases with us, so that we can start unpacking as soon as we get to the cabin. As long as the case is small enough to go through an airport scanner machine, you can take what you like. Even when its busy at City Cruise terminal, we have always been through in about 30 mins, but there are plenty of RCI people about, so if you have a word with them they might be able to fast track you through.

Have a great 1st cruise and hope you come back hooked on it!

Simon