Stupid nubie question of the day

AmberTeka

We sailed on NCL.........in 2006. The Jewel. We also sailed on NCL at the dawn of cruising history on the NCL Skyward and the NCL Sunward. In the 70's

After our daughter was grown, and we did not go to The House of the Mouse every year, we started cruising. We are Platinum on Carnival and Princess. 3 on HAL and 1 on Celebrity.

MY question. I am looking at booking 2 cabins on the Spirit, out of Port Canaveral, on March 19.2016. Sailing to Key West. Cayman Island. Ocho Rio. 7 day.

So when I put together fares for DH and myself, daughter, son in law and grand child (aged 5) it is not a small sum.

Do you book direct with NCL? I do sometimes with Carnival. Sometimes use Web TA. Sometimes use a Personal PVP from Carnival. Like booking direct because I can call directly. Feel comfortable doing it on Carnival as we have cruised so many days there. Sort of feel I know my way around.

Princess.......Book direct or Web TA HAL.....Web TA Celebrity used Web TA

I like being able to make monthly payments. Not having to come up with the total sum at once. And yes, I sometimes save up the total sum and then book, but they are having a special now.....with the baby getting a discount and some free meals in some speciality restaurants.

HOW do you book?

What do you recommend.

Is it easy to call each month and pay it off starting the month after you book?

Thank all of you for information you have.

Edited by AmberTeka

I have booked directly through NCL and also with online and brick and mortar TA's. I would spend a few hours doing trial bookings and contacting some agencies to see who can offer the best price with the best perks. I would book directly with NCL unless there is a big perk benefit to do otherwise.

On my most recent cruise, I scored a free upgrade from an OV to a nice balcony right AFTER the final payment was due. A nice CC roll call person alerted the group and many of us called to ask for this upgrade. One day later, all the balconies were gone and the ship started to fill up fast because of price reductions. Moral of the story: it sometimes pays to be in control of your own booking. If I had this booking through an agency, they might not have called in time for this great upgrade. Cruiselines will only talk to the agency if you book with one.

I book with a PCC through NCL. I like having control of the booking and being able to call him directly. My parents have done this as well for years and it paid off when one of their cruises was cancelled for a mechanical problem. The cruise line ( think it was NCL) contacted them directly and they were able to rebook on another ship and able to get an upgrade for their "trouble". I know their traveling companions didn't even know about the cancellation until my parents told them about it a day or 2 later. They had to call their TA and well... it didn't turn out as well for them.

I know people that have been successful with TA's and I know people that have been completely worked over by TA's (lost deposits, lost perks, lost OBC ect) so to me it isn't worth the hassle. I just book directly.

Edited by kchiumento

We sailed on NCL.........in 2006. The Jewel. We also sailed on NCL at the dawn of cruising history on the NCL Skyward and the NCL Sunward. In the 70's

After our daughter was grown, and we did not go to The House of the Mouse every year, we started cruising. We are Platinum on Carnival and Princess. 3 on HAL and 1 on Celebrity.

MY question. I am looking at booking 2 cabins on the Spirit, out of Port Canaveral, on March 19.2016. Sailing to Key West. Cayman Island. Ocho Rio. 7 day.

So when I put together fares for DH and myself, daughter, son in law and grand child (aged 5) it is not a small sum.

Do you book direct with NCL? I do sometimes with Carnival. Sometimes use Web TA. Sometimes use a Personal PVP from Carnival. Like booking direct because I can call directly. Feel comfortable doing it on Carnival as we have cruised so many days there. Sort of feel I know my way around.

Princess.......Book direct or Web TA HAL.....Web TA Celebrity used Web TA

I like being able to make monthly payments. Not having to come up with the total sum at once. And yes, I sometimes save up the total sum and then book, but they are having a special now.....with the baby getting a discount and some free meals in some speciality restaurants.

HOW do you book?

What do you recommend.

Is it easy to call each month and pay it off starting the month after you book?

Thank all of you for information you have.

We are doing that route in December. Any way you can change your dates to a time other than spring break? NCL has generally jacked up the rates on spring break trips starting last year for trips sailing in 2015 and beyond.

Edited by dexddd

I've done it both ways. With a TA you can't communicate directly with the line, which is important to many. To me, its just meh. I've used TAs basically to get more OBC/bennies. I'm haven't found a TA though that I would give my business to on a regular basis. I'm still searching for the magical one that can work miracles and get me that Owner's Suite for $500 :D

Thanks for the information.

We have to sail that week because that is Spring Break for my daughter who is a teacher.

Yes. Do they EVER jack up the prices. This year, Florida did Spring Break earlier than most school systems, and we were able to all sail on Princess for a reasonable price. Not so lucky this year.

I like controlling my own booking, too. I only worry when I go to cruise lines that are new, or that we have not sailed on before.

It seems that perhaps a NCL vacation planner might be a good start for me.

Does anyone pay for the cruise on a monthly basis? And I confess, I never have, but I know people who do. Now that daughter's family goes with us...............the amount is not something you can find in a couple of weeks. it sounds great to me. Lots of things that sound great to me, don't work out that way. But When the cruise line has......they have it. seems good.

and yes, you can save it. BUT you can TAKE that money out, too. And I understand that within 75 days or so you can cancel and get it back. But you would not do that except in an emergency.

. And a vacation that is not paid for.........to me......is not a vacation. It is just another worry. I grew up in Alabama. In the poor part. Foothills of the Appalachian Mtns.

Any opinions? Any experience?

And thanks. A lot.

Edited by AmberTeka

Does anyone pay for the cruise on a monthly basis?

This is something I do, because otherwise we would not be able to cruise. :) I am a single mother with two kids, I love to shop, and with the kids some new expense is ALWAYS coming up :rolleyes:. If I were to try to simply save the money in a savings account and then pay for the cruise outright, we would never leave dry land! :p I love having the option of making payments. I book directly with NCL, and whenever I make a payment (and it's all over the place when I do. Sometimes monthly, sometimes every two weeks, sometimes weekly) it takes me only a minute or two to do so online. So much easier than going through a TA. This way also lets me snap up a good rate, or take advantage of a good promotion, which I might otherwise miss if I waited to save the entire fare prior to booking.

I have booked both directly and with a very popular online agency. I have never actually booked online but rather call them and book. Because coming up with large sums of money is difficult for us, I always take part of "No Deposit" specials. Of course, there are limits to that, but it has almost always worked for me. Basically they cover the cost of the deposit and I arrange automatic payments right at the time of booking. This has worked for me the last several cruises. It allows me to book when the price is right, for a route and cabin I want and not having to come up with the whole deposit at the time of booking. I am much more disciplined when the money is automatically taken out of my account on a regular basis.

I agree with others, if you have an advantage or extra perks with a TA then go that route, otherwise, go direct to NCL. However, I have next to always found that the TA has better prices than the cruise line. I do watch prices like a hawk, so I am still in charge of watching price drops and do not leave it up to a TA or cruise line. Calling to make any changes, credits or upgrades are a little time consuming but well worth it.

Thank you all.

I am going to book directly. Make payments monthly. I have never done that. But I have paid for for two families twice, and that can be a heavy lift. And I am glad I could do it. I love having my only grand child onboard. but extracting the money from my Bank Account each month will hurt much less.

thanks. A lot. Set my mind at ease.

Edited by AmberTeka