Snack and between meal food options on Jewel?

I *think* the only 2 are in the WJ. However, since I didn't buy the drink package, I'm not 100% sure. Having said that, I can't imagine where else they would place them. The JOS is one of the smaller ships, but that has its advantages. Not nearly as long of a walk to anywhere. The major disadvantage was finding a table in the WJ during peak times. The buffet is laid out well so that it's easy to get around and get your food, but that leaves less space for tables. And most of the tables are larger tables. On more than one morning we had to stand and wait for people to leave in order to get a seat. We quickly learned to find a table first, then one of us holds it while the other gets the food.

I *think* the only 2 are in the WJ. However, since I didn't buy the drink package, I'm not 100% sure. Having said that, I can't imagine where else they would place them. The JOS is one of the smaller ships, but that has its advantages. Not nearly as long of a walk to anywhere. The major disadvantage was finding a table in the WJ during peak times. The buffet is laid out well so that it's easy to get around and get your food, but that leaves less space for tables. And most of the tables are larger tables. On more than one morning we had to stand and wait for people to leave in order to get a seat. We quickly learned to find a table first, then one of us holds it while the other gets the food.

Yes, the WJ can be crowded at peak times but we usually just go to the outside section of the WJ and eat there. We have sailed Jewel and Radiance on the NE/Canada itinerary, both times in October, and not many like to be outside in the cool AM air. I am hoping that theory works well for a September California coastal cruise too.:p

not many like to be outside in the cool AM air. I am hoping that theory works well for a September California coastal cruise too.:p

You will be fine - we tried to eat outside behind the WJ and it was too cold/windy. You shouldn't have a problem finding a seat there. :)

Just back from Jewel. The Solarium had hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken salad wraps (which were great!), and pizza, which is the worst pizza we've had on a cruise. This is the first cruise we've been on where food wasn't available 24 hours to some degree. And the ice cream machines didn't work very well. The cookies were good, though! When the WJ closed in the early evening, the doors were locked, so you couldn't even get beverages. We only ate in the Seaview Café one day. I ordered the vegetarian sandwich, which was completely inedible. Others in our group had burgers and other sandwiches - they said they were just "okay". Because our bodies were still on CST in a Pacific time zone, we always seemed to be hungry when food wasn't available - LOL! We had a great cruise, and we were thankful for a Captain who refused to take the ship out to sea on just one engine. He kept us updated and handled it beautifully. We arrived into Victoria about 6 hours late, but from what I could tell, everyone still managed to have a great time in port since it stays light for a long time in that area right now.

Thanks for this information! We'll be sailing next week.;)

Looking at this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45865573&postcount=22

It appears that the picture lists a Solarium Cafe with snacks from 11pm to 5am. Does anyone know what this is like? I was under the impression that the Seaview Cafe was the original Park Cafe and being replaced by them. On the Grandeur the Solarium Cafe was a Park Cafe.

I remember the days when you could get a cooked to order crepe in the Solarium Cafe.:(

I thought that the food hours were longer on Jewel (same coastal as a couple of other posters) than we have had on some recent cruises. When we went to the WJ we usually went outside of "regular" hours, the one exception being when we arrived in San Francisco - it seemed that the entire ship was getting some food before going ashore. We ended up at Seaview instead and it was just ok - the service was terrible by RCI standards but the food was good for what it was, burgers, fries and onion rings.

I remember the days when you could get a cooked to order crepe in the Solarium Cafe.:(

I thought that the food hours were longer on Jewel (same coastal as a couple of other posters) than we have had on some recent cruises. When we went to the WJ we usually went outside of "regular" hours, the one exception being when we arrived in San Francisco - it seemed that the entire ship was getting some food before going ashore. We ended up at Seaview instead and it was just ok - the service was terrible by RCI standards but the food was good for what it was, burgers, fries and onion rings.

Those waiters in the Seaview didn't exactly inspire confidence that your order would be correct, did they? :D

Agree with others off the Jewel, the food situation is contrary to anything I have ever experienced on a cruise. I felt like the quality of food was typical for a cruise (not super, but certainly not bad), but the timing of things was crazy. The windjammer seemed to always be closed when we most needed it. I told the ships services desk the evening before disembarkation, so perhaps someone will listen for the benefit of others.

The end all to be all, for me, was the last night when we had a significant time change for arrival/departure in Victoria. To come back to the boat at 10:30, and have nothing available was crazy. We sat on our balcony and watched the bustle in the Solstice's Oceanview Cafe, which is as close to an evening snack as we got. I'm sure someone will point out room service, but the menu is awful and at 156 sqft., I'm not sure where we would have eaten it.

Agree with others off the Jewel, the food situation is contrary to anything I have ever experienced on a cruise. I felt like the quality of food was typical for a cruise (not super, but certainly not bad), but the timing of things was crazy. The windjammer seemed to always be closed when we most needed it. I told the ships services desk the evening before disembarkation, so perhaps someone will listen for the benefit of others.

The end all to be all, for me, was the last night when we had a significant time change for arrival/departure in Victoria. To come back to the boat at 10:30, and have nothing available was crazy. We sat on our balcony and watched the bustle in the Solstice's Oceanview Cafe, which is as close to an evening snack as we got. I'm sure someone will point out room service, but the menu is awful and at 156 sqft., I'm not sure where we would have eaten it.

No late night pizza in the Solarium?

Just back from Jewel. The Solarium had hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken salad wraps (which were great!), and pizza, which is the worst pizza we've had on a cruise. This is the first cruise we've been on where food wasn't available 24 hours to some degree. And the ice cream machines didn't work very well. The cookies were good, though! When the WJ closed in the early evening, the doors were locked, so you couldn't even get beverages. We only ate in the Seaview Café one day. I ordered the vegetarian sandwich, which was completely inedible. Others in our group had burgers and other sandwiches - they said they were just "okay". Because our bodies were still on CST in a Pacific time zone, we always seemed to be hungry when food wasn't available - LOL! We had a great cruise, and we were thankful for a Captain who refused to take the ship out to sea on just one engine. He kept us updated and handled it beautifully. We arrived into Victoria about 6 hours late, but from what I could tell, everyone still managed to have a great time in port since it stays light for a long time in that area right now.

Just back today also. We must have hit the solarium cafe on different nights cause I was extremely disappointed. Both times I wish I just ordered room service but it was late night and I didn't want to wait. I agree the pizza was awful, but the hot dogs and burgers were also cold and not good imo even if warm, the wraps were lackluster, and the staff member was just as cold as the food. Sea view cafe is the best snack option if it's open, I was only able to catch it once open. Food was actually good and service was so so. Ruben was good, the chocolate brownie look very yummy and would have been satisfying if it was rock solid cold. After hours dining isn't great. I would stick to room service even though it's not great it's better than the other options. If you want something sweet though Lattetudes (Starbucks) have great complementary desserts, the willy wonka peanut butter like pie was my favorite, as well as the the peanut butter and plain rice crispy treats.

Just back today also. We must have hit the solarium cafe on different nights cause I was extremely disappointed. Both times I wish I just ordered room service but it was late night and I didn't want to wait. I agree the pizza was awful, but the hot dogs and burgers were also cold and not good imo even if warm, the wraps were lackluster, and the staff member was just as cold as the food. Sea view cafe is the best snack option if it's open, I was only able to catch it once open. Food was actually good and service was so so. Ruben was good, the chocolate brownie look very yummy and would have been satisfying if it was rock solid cold. After hours dining isn't great. I would stick to room service even though it's not great it's better than the other options. If you want something sweet though Lattetudes (Starbucks) have great complementary desserts, the willy wonka peanut butter like pie was my favorite, as well as the the peanut butter and plain rice crispy treats.

I should have clarified better - I thought the chicken wraps were great, but I didn't personally try the hot dogs/hamburgers. I was just indicating they were available - sorry for the confusion. However, my husband had a hot dog and loved it, although it had literally just come off of the cooker since the Solarium Café had only been open for about 5 minutes. I can certainly see where it would be horrible if it had sat there for a while. The hamburgers didn't look so yummy. Wish we had known about the complimentary desserts at Lattitudes! :(

There was no fee for SeaView this past week.

Seaview cafe has a fee starting at 8pm when they are offering Burgers and Brews. Your other post says you went to the Seaview cafe once, was that during the day? That could explain why you did not have to pay a fee.

Seaview cafe has a fee starting at 8pm when they are offering Burgers and Brews. Your other post says you went to the Seaview cafe once, was that during the day? That could explain why you did not have to pay a fee.

Yes during the day. There were nights that it wasn't open though.

We are cruising on Jewel in July and my 10 year old loves pizza. He isn't much of a gourmet and thinks Costco pizza and Little Caesars pizza are good. Would the pizza on board at least be as "good" as those? I wonder if the pizza is any different off the children's menu in the MDR?

We are cruising on Jewel in July and my 10 year old loves pizza. He isn't much of a gourmet and thinks Costco pizza and Little Caesars pizza are good. Would the pizza on board at least be as "good" as those? I wonder if the pizza is any different off the children's menu in the MDR?

The pizza on board is different than Costco pizza. Whether it is as "good" is subjective, and something only you can determine.

My child considers Costco pizza and Little Ceasars pizza to be good and I would consider both to be maybe a notch above typical grocery store, frozen pizza.

Just wondering why people didn't like the pizza on board.

If they are like me, they like pizza from a good Italian restaurant and if it was more like frozen or Costco, would consider it horrible.

Definitely subjective, I agree.

I think most kids would like the pizza if they like other generic pizzas like you mentioned.

I think kids would be fine with it, IMO. I expect the pizza on the MDR children's menu is the same, but I can not confirm.

• 3 months later...
The Solarium Cafe is what will become Park Cafe during Jewel's dry dock in 2016.

Right now, late in the evening, the Solarium Cafe will have pizza slices and other snacks.

when is the dry dock? we are sailing on her in June - what else is being done?

thanks!