Rough seas for British Isles Cruise?

AEGBRG

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about doing a British Isles cruise with Celebrity this July. For those who have taken the cruise around July, what are the sea conditions like? Some in my family can get sea sick if the waters get pretty rough. Please share your experiences and overall thoughts on the British Isles cruise.

Thanks in advance.

Hi we did a British Isles cruise last August on a Princess ship we were very lucky with the weather although we didn't get to dock in Invergorden due to the remnants of hurricane Bertha, but we didn't find the seas rough at all, but really in Great Britain we really can never tell what the weather is going to do, we are having a fairly poor summer so far this year, it must get better soon.

We loved the cruise though, even though we normally sail with Celebrity but the price was right on princess on this occasion.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

You would be really unlucky to have rough seas in July. Yes, we do get some rain, it can be cool, but at this time of year you have a really good chance of seeing Great Britain at her best. It is the time of year all yatch and boat owners over here in The British Isles risk taking their pride and joy out to sea!

Do not know when in July your cruise is scheduled for, or if you have a choice of dates. Schools tend to finish for the summer vacation 20th -26th July so if you can get your cruise in before then all the sights will be much quieter.

We did a 12 Day on Splendor from Harwich to Plymouth, Wales, Cork, Dublin, Glasgow, Inverness, and Amsterdam. It was July and we were shocked how calm it was. We did not expect that. I think July is the time to go!

Alan

You're talking British weather ---- who knows ??!!!! It really is hit and miss to be honest. I agree with the former CC member who suggested going in early July before the school holidays. We work in schools and the weather always seems better before we break up for our holidays !!! :)

We were also on the Princess British Isles cruise last summer. Even getting into the tail end of Bertha and missing a port, I didn't really feel anything that day. The only place that you could have problems is the Bay of Biscay but you aren't going through that.

We Did British Isles in June a few years ago on the Golden Princess. The Captain kept referring to the rough Seas as "The Choppy Bits", and yes it was a bit rough, especially in the area West of Scotland. We actually sustained some really high, buy unusual winds in that area. But the stabilizers on the ship smoothed it out quite a bit. It really wasn't all that bad.

Where it was bad however was on the Tender Boat to Gurnsey, one of the Channel Islands. The Tender Boat was rocking extensively and the crew had trouble loading the passengers. Apparently that Channel Island tendering can get rough. That's where you are liable to get sick, as my wife almost did.

The cruise itself was so good, that this minor distraction was minimal in comparison.

Edited by curtdesilets

... The only place that you could have problems is the Bay of Biscay but you aren't going through that.

You can never completely rule out rough seas, particularly in the North and Irish seas - although it is less likely in the summer months

When I am in the UK I live right on the cliff edge overlooking the North Sea. Some days it is flat calm, sometimes a few galloping white horses but never known it really rough in summer.

At the moment I am in Venice. Third day of rain.

Just goes to show, you never know!

I am still on my hols though whatever the weather.