Which ship for our family?

I'm looking at another cruise for summer 2016. My kids will be 14, 11, and 10. We have been on Disney Fantasy and loved it, Carnival Liberty and thought it was OK, and now want to try RC. My boys are not really interested in the clubs so that isn't a factor. As for ports, we will probably do Caribbean but could do Bahamas or Bermuda if the ship looked fun and it was at least a 7 day cruise. I feel like the Oasis and Allure may be almost too big even though it looks like there is a lot for those ages to do. They really enjoy the more active activities, shows are not a major concern. What are some favorite ships for these ages of boys?

Oasis/Allure would be a lot of fun for them, lots to see and do. However, for our kids' first RCL cruise we picked Freedom class. (Freedom, Independence, Liberty.) Shows on this class are not nearly as good as Oasis/Allure but if that's not important to you it will be fine.

Still lots to do on the Freedom class of ship (flowriders, rock wall, H20 zone, ice rink, basketball court), not as huge as Oasis/Allure, and they will have a really good time. Freedom class was also about 40% cheaper than Oasis/Allure at the time that I booked.

Bermuda is amazing. Liberty does a longer Caribbean cruise that includes a one day stop there. I would choose the Freedom or Oasis class. You've been on larger ships before and not been scared off by the size, so I wouldn't let that deter you. There is a ton to do on the Oasis class and the pool deck is huge.

We were on the Freedom last summer and loved it so much have it booked again for 2016. My Daughter was 11 (will be 13 next trip) son was 9 (will be 11).

Your boys will love the flow rider. There was always sports going on (soccer, basketball, etc) if they like that. My kids are not sports lovers but always found something to do. My kids loved Freedom better than any trip to Disney.

I also say Freedom class is a good option it has a nice amount of activities without being overwhelming. We did it after doing a Disney Crusie and the kids loved it. They really loved the flow rider, they aren't big kids club goers, we did a lot of hanging by the pool or going to the arcade.

Bermuda is nice, I personally like the 5 day out of NJ. This fall is Liberty, but next year is Anthem which would also have some great activities.

Given this is your first experience with RCL, I'd choose any of the Freedom class ships (Liberty, Independence or Freedom). Lots to do on those ships.

And when on one of those ships and loving all there is to offer, you could book your next RCL sailing on Oasis, Allure or Harmony, and get onboard credit for the 2nd voyage.

We're heading back to the Caribbean this year after the last two cruises were in the Med. We are carrying my 21 year old Grandson who has been cruising since he was 3, and a friend on this cruise. We've been on FOS twice before and it's been one of his favorites, which is why we chose it. He's carried friends previously and they love the Caribbean and this ship. They have the FlowRider, basketball court, arcade, ice rink, mini-golf, Johnny Rockets and they love hanging out at the pools. I agree with several of the others that your family will enjoy this ship and the Caribbean. You won't be disappointed. You can get adjoining cabins with the 3 kids in one and you in the other. For this cruise, we've chosen to have the 21 year old on the opposite side of the ship from us....lol.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will keep watching for specials and checking prices for these classes of ships. It looks like there is plenty to do either way we go so now it may come down to itinerary. We have done 2 Easterns, so maybe this time we will stick with Caribbean and do a Western. I think whatever we choose will be great.

They really want to try the iFLY, but I think we will be priced out of the Anthem for a while.

I would personally try the Oasis class. We have been on this style ship twice and never felt that is was overwhelming. Planning required ahead of time, yes. But definitely doable. All you need to do is read a few reviews and then make sure you sign up for the shows you want to see and you are golden. Plus having the multiple flow riders and rock walls really help out with crowd control. Either way, with Oasis or Freedom, you guys will have a blast !!

I'm looking at another cruise for summer 2016. My kids will be 14, 11, and 10. We have been on Disney Fantasy and loved it, Carnival Liberty and thought it was OK, and now want to try RC. My boys are not really interested in the clubs so that isn't a factor. As for ports, we will probably do Caribbean but could do Bahamas or Bermuda if the ship looked fun and it was at least a 7 day cruise. I feel like the Oasis and Allure may be almost too big even though it looks like there is a lot for those ages to do. They really enjoy the more active activities, shows are not a major concern. What are some favorite ships for these ages of boys?

I also think the Freedom class would be a perfect fit for your family.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will keep watching for specials and checking prices for these classes of ships. It looks like there is plenty to do either way we go so now it may come down to itinerary. We have done 2 Easterns, so maybe this time we will stick with Caribbean and do a Western. I think whatever we choose will be great.

They really want to try the iFLY, but I think we will be priced out of the Anthem for a while.

I think there will be a sale starting June 1st. (read it somewhere).

Your family will love this class of ship. We have sailed 12 times on the Liberty and were never disappointed.:)

Since your children are still young, and like activity, I'd suggest the larger RCL ships.

The largest (approx.220,000 Tons), Oasis Class(Oasis, Allure)

Next largest (approx.154,000 Tons)Freedom Class(Freedom, Independence, Liberty)

Next Largest (approx.138,000 Tons) Voyager Class(Voyager, Navigator, Mariner, Adventure, Explorer)

They have the most activities you are looking for when it comes to teenagers.

I'd suggest picking an itinerary and price that you like, and enjoy.:D

I left out the Quantum ship, to many bad reviews and overpriced right now.

Edited by American Bear