First time Holland America

philsuarez

Have just booked a 7 night Norway trip on Ryndam from Harwich, UK in July. Took plunge as live 5 minutes from port and have always fancied a cruise from there. Never been with Holland America before but did do a ship visit last year to Ryndam when she was in Dover. Familiar with P&O, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard. How will Holland compare. As we are so close to port what would be the earliest we could board and get cabin and do they serve lunch in main dining room like other lines. I have been looking at drink packages and they don't appear to do an all inclusive non alcohol? Thanks in advance for any answers. Very excited. I know she is an old girl but was impressed after visit.

Edited by philsuarez

Have just booked a 7 night Norway trip on Ryndam from Harwich, UK in July. Took plunge as live 5 minutes from port and have always fancied a cruise from there. Never been with Holland America before but did do a ship visit last year to Ryndam when she was in Dover. Familiar with P&O, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard. How will Holland compare. As we are so close to port what would be the earliest we could board and get cabin and do they serve lunch in main dining room like other lines. I have been looking at drink packages and they don't appear to do an all inclusive non alcohol? Thanks in advance for any answers. Very excited. I know she is an old girl but was impressed after visit.

You only get lunch the first day in the main dining room if you are a past passenger of Holland America or any of her sister lines (for example, Carnival, Princess, Costa, etc.).

I strongly suggest that you read the first "sticky" on the top of this page - "New to Holland America?" for great answers and suggestions.

It will take a couple of days for your reservation to show up on HAL's site.

When you booked the cruise, did you mention to your TA that you have also sailed on P&O and Cunard? If he he/she has made note of that, then it will be in your records and should show up right away as 1 star mariner.

Check-in usually starts at 11 and boarding begins at 11:30. HAL tries to have the cabins ready by 11:30 so that you can drop off your carry-ons and then go to lunch.

Having sailed on P&O and Cunard, you should also be invited to the Mariner's Brunch which is held later in the cruise.

So jealous!! You will love the Ryndam, I hope. She is our favorite HAL ship and we are sad to see her leave the fleet.

Two winners---Norway and the Ryndam! Have a wonderful cruise!