Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

A few more photos of the monument

IMG_8823_zpsrxuzuk73.jpg

Europe%2009%20190-003_zpskvx4lomv.jpg

On another visit here , a group of WW II veterans and some members of the Communist Party were meeting here .

Europe%2009%20186-001_zps4bongdcu.jpg

Our guide on that visit also took us into Lenin's office at Smolny .

Europe200920Pat20166-001_zpszswqcbh0.jpg

It was very modest with a small bed on the other side of the divider . In this hall is where Lenin declared that the power was in the hands of the soviets , after the revolution .

Europe200920Pat20165-001_zpsykz3llln.jpg

In this painting you can see Stalin next to Lenin

lenin20at20smolny_zpsf9mxcivw.jpg

In this video clip , our guide translates a story about Lenin and his wife , from the curator :

Your review and pictures is not the Russia I picture in the back of my mind. The city looks better than a whole lot of American cities.

A great deal of government money has been invested in the years since the Millenium and work is still ongoing( eg, the church at the Summer Palace; our guide hadn't yet been inside)

When we visited in Sept 2002, many public buildings were shrouded in 'green safety netting' as many were being renovated for the Tri Centenary celebrations in Spring 2003)

Our SPB guide said that the government had realised that there was a great deal of money to be earned through tourism. Originally, Peter the Great modelled the city on European influence- Peterhof is moddled on Versailles and the canals of St Petersbug on Venice.

Edited by upwarduk

This is all so interesting!!!!!

Thanks Jen , we think so too . There is a lot to see , do and learn there and that's why we stayed there . If you can only visit for 2 days on a cruise it's a bit overwhelming , and you need to prioritize to best take advantage of the short time spent there . Or , as in our case , spend more time there . :) :D

Your review and pictures is not the Russia I picture in the back of my mind. The city looks better than a whole lot of American cities.

We think that most first time visitors are greatly surprised when visiting SPB . And we know that we were . And yes , we have seen many American cities that are much worse . There are a number of places near where we live that we would never go to at night . But in SPB , we were never really threatened anywhere ( except in my mind with my anxiety reaction to the Victory Day parade crowd ) , even walking the streets late at night with mostly young people . The young people there still respect their elders .

But in all fairness , SPB , like all large cities , has it's problems and problem areas where we wouldn't go . Strangely , SPB reminds us of Cozumel in some ways . A mainly tourist based area where they want tourists to come and return . A lot of the tourist money is reinvested on tourist friendly activities and venues . High employment = less crime and many people speak English . They don't want people to be afraid go there , so the people and government are strict on crime against tourists . And with the sanctions against Russia , SPB still generates a positive cash flow .

Finally , our media doesn't accurately portray Russia ( nor does the Russian media accurately portray the US ) .

A great deal of government money has been invested in the years since the Millenium and work is still ongoing( eg, the church at the Summer Palace; our guide hadn't yet been inside)

When we visited in Sept 2002, many public buildings were shrouded in 'green safety netting' as many were being renovated for the Tri Centenary celebrations in Spring 2003)

Our SPB guide said that the government had realised that there was a great deal of money to be earned through tourism. Originally, Peter the Great modelled the city on European influence- Peterhof is moddled on Versailles and the canals of St Petersbug on Venice.

Right-O . Additionally , there is a sliding admission fee that is also used for further renovation and reduced prices for locals . The Hermitage fee was 400 Rubles for tourists and 100 R for citizens .

6fe01078-39e9-43e0-b706-b5f055a2e499_zpsxq9symwy.jpg

To the OP and others thanks for sharing so much information on the new Russia & SBP.

You're welcome . I would like to share one last bit of soviet history . Most tourists will never the Russian Political Museum . But we did and you can see it here if you would like : http://www.saint-petersburg.com/museums/museum-political-history/

One of my favorite souvenirs came from the museum . It's a book of Soviet agitprop posters from the Soviet Union with translations . Here's a few :

The Motherland Calls !

IMG_0116-001_zpsb352f241.jpg

A healthy vacation - For the workers

IMG_0115-002_zps3f0b6119.jpg

No ! (to vodka)

IMG_0114-001_zps930ed63e.jpg

Down with Kitchen Slavery - Hurrah for the New Everyday Life !

Some friends explained what this really meant . It was suppose to give women equal rights in employment . But the net effect was that they could now work full on the job and full time at home ! Hurrah !

IMG_0118-001_zps3b16a42e.jpg

Don't fool around !

Uncle Sam with the Atomic Bomb

IMG_0113-001_zpsbc7eac5c.jpg

Lastly , we did meet a WW II vet on Victory Day . He's pictured with an American who owned a bar and restaurant .

9bb5b8d8-dc94-4aa2-8133-fb423c467410_zpsjz3hsaus.jpg

After leaving the monument , I noticed a souvenir store still decorated for the holiday . It took 3 photos , side by side , to get it all in .

IMG_884320Stitch-001_zpsnxnh2x1b.jpg

New metro stations for the ride back

IMG_8855_zpsveedmgum.jpg

IMG_8871_zpsywbulsxa.jpg

IMG_8865_zpsawnae47b.jpg

After meeting Pat at the apartment we went to a breakfast place that we had never tried before . It's ranked # 8 on Tripadvisor : http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298507-d799299-Reviews-Zoom_Cafe-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

We usually eat breakfast at the apartment , eat leftovers or make a lunch mid day , and have dinner out . So breakfast was a treat for us . They had been closed the entire weekend and opened late on Monday .

It's kind of a trendy cafe that attracts a hipster crowd .

DSC03091-001_zpsawc54bn4.jpg

The menu may explain a lot about the style of food .

DSC03090_zpsyzwiawwa.jpg

We were a bit put off because our first several choices were unavailable . We're not sure how Tripadvisor obtain rankings , but based on their scale , we would only say average . So we still don't understand how they are ranked so high .

It was almost time for our appointment with a Doctor in SPB . For us , being sick or injured in a foreign country is a major concern , but it wasn't an emergency so we had time to shop around . We settled on the American Medical Clinic , a bout a mile and a half away , so it was walking distance . he walk included the Lion Bridge .

IMG_8883_zps9t0z0yzs.jpg

Which make a great pigeon roost !

IMG_8885_zpsc5xihpss.jpg

The clinic is located on a canal , near St. Issac's Cathedral .

IMG_8895_zpslofdvfil.jpg

There was only 1 man in the waiting room and we were told that we were a half hour early . After sitting down , I was shocked to see a book with all of the prices - in English !

DSC03105_zpsjd6jijid.jpg

After our wait , a young man told us to follow him to the elevators . It felt like half of the length of a cruise ship to reach the first elevator . The walk to the second elevator was a little shorter . All of that walking and riding elevators in the Eclipse was paying off ! The exam room looked O. K. , except that everything was written in Cyrillic .

DSC03107_zps9hx6jeqk.jpg

After A blood pressure and vital signs check , we were left alone to wait for the doctor . But even during the most stressful situations , Pat can always smile .

40cf6193-28a2-46d4-9907-baf95d4b39df_zpsbnl8g7gy.jpg

still enjoying 'our' cruise and 'land holiday'. I've been to beautiful StP with a cruise and thought I'd saw everything in the two days.............how wrong I was! Your photos are stunning.

I hope Pat recovers quickly and going by your price list I'm so glad I live in Scotland and have our wonderful NHS.

Those prices look a lot more reasonable than here at home!!!!:) Hope Pat is doing well in her recovery from surgery!!

Your pictures of SPB have convinced my husband that this is a MUST trip for us now!!!:)

They were Gracie . We saw the surgeon today at home and the wound looked good , with the healing as expected . ;)

The photos from the main tourist areas are yet to come and a side trip to Moscow . :) :D

still enjoying 'our' cruise and 'land holiday'. I've been to beautiful StP with a cruise and thought I'd saw everything in the two days.............how wrong I was! Your photos are stunning.

I hope Pat recovers quickly and going by your price list I'm so glad I live in Scotland and have our wonderful NHS.

We're glad that you're still along for the ride . To us the prices seemed reasonable and our understanding is that the Russian NHS is different than the clinic that we visited . Longer waiting , and more people - but lower prices . And it may not have been available to us as tourists ( and Americans too ! ) . We'll never know , but we went with our gut and we're content with our choice . :) :D

The Dr. spoke very good English and gave Pat a through exam . He did notice redness in the affected ear and ordered a blood draw . Because we exhibited the same symptoms , he gave me a lesser exam . After about 20 minutes , the results and the Dr. returned . As suspected , an inner ear infection was the main problem . The Dr. ordered antibiotics , vitamins , nasal spray , decongestant and an additional medication . When we inquired as to where we could fill them , he told us that the pharmacy downstairs was closed , but that he would get the medications for us ! He took us downstairs to the waiting room and went to open the pharmacy . As we payed the receptionist with a credit card , the Dr. returned with our meds . The total cost was $ 150 !!! :eek:

I wanted to hug him , but decorum prevented me and so I thanked him both in Russian and English instead . This was another childhood type flashback , when our doctor used made house calls and took payments on the honor system . ;)

Feeling better were in a festive mood and like all good cruise ship passengers - ready to eat ! There is a Irish style pub near the Mariinsky Theatre that we wanted to try , but first , we wanted to visit the Grand Choral Synagogue . It was just around the corner .

IMG_8913_zpszetdif16.jpg

Unfortunately , it had just closed and so we only have outside photos .

IMG_8919_zpsrzz4g6r3.jpg

There is an interior photo and some information found here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Choral_Synagogue

As fate would have it , the theatre has just let out and the pub was far too busy for our taste . And so we began the long walk back using a different route this time . By the time we reached the restaurant near our apartment , it was almost 9 PM - and we were famished ! It's our favorite Mexican cafe in SPB .

DSC03113_zpsuoib8giu.jpg

Like so many of the cafes in SPB you sit below the street level . Because there was no music there this evening - the place was empty .

DSC03111_zpsl4hoescy.jpg

The first time that we ever ate here I ordered in Spanish and the server cautioned me , " Russian and English only " .

DSC03110_zpsdgvts2vv.jpg

After receiving our food , a couple from Chicago sat down next to us . It was their last night in SPB before flying home and we had a nice dinner with our new friends . The young lady ordered the strongest drink in the house and it came on an IV pole ! I still can't believe that I didn't take a photo !

DSC03117_zpsd1f7mhh2.jpg

After a good dinner and a good nights rest ( and some medicine ) we felt that we were on the mend . And with only 2 ships in town , we thought that it would be a good day to leave the city and go to Petrodvorets in the country , where Peterhof is located . After taking the metro to Admiralteyskaya ( the deepest metro station at 86 meters ) we exited and crossed Palace Square .

IMG_8947_zpsc4hjuxdl.jpg

We paused to look at the Alexander Column , the tallest single piece of granite in the world . It weighs over 1 million pounds and is kept upright by it's own weight .

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/virtual-tour/alexander-column/

IMG_8966_zps2rqhcx04.jpg

IMG_8982_zpsxrdtmhyl.jpg

We would be using the hydrofoils of the Peterhof Express to take us there .

http://www.peterhof-express.com/

IMG_7790-001_zps561a0b19.jpg

One of the workers from the hydrofoil

IMG_7825-001_zps45865fd3.jpg

The Dr. spoke very good English and gave Pat a through exam . He did notice redness in the affected ear and ordered a blood draw . Because we exhibited the same symptoms , he gave me a lesser exam . After about 20 minutes , the results and the Dr. returned . As suspected , an inner ear infection was the main problem . The Dr. ordered antibiotics , vitamins , nasal spray , decongestant and an additional medication . When we inquired as to where we could fill them , he told us that the pharmacy downstairs was closed , but that he would get the medications for us ! He took us downstairs to the waiting room and went to open the pharmacy . As we payed the receptionist with a credit card , the Dr. returned with our meds . The total cost was $ 150 !!! :eek:

I wanted to hug him , but decorum prevented me and so I thanked him both in Russian and English instead . This was another childhood type flashback , when our doctor used made house calls and took payments on the honor system . ;)

Is $150 good or bad? Personally and as a nurse I don't see the need for vitamins or nasal spray. To me an ear infection requires antibiotics either oral or spray and maybe analgesia.

I just hope you are both feeling better very soon.

Edited by Issyalex

Is $150 good or bad? Personally and as a nurse I don't see the need for vitamins or nasal spray. To me an ear infection requires antibiotics either oral or spray and maybe analgesia.

I just hope you are both feeling better very soon.

It's about half the price for the same treatment and meds here and requires a separate stop at the pharmacy . We were congested and coughing so only the antibiotics for the infection were required and some medicine for a potential yeast infection . The others were just supportive therapy . We can only imagine what the knee will cost , but upon admission before surgery , the hospital required almost $ 4000 ! :eek:

It's about half the price for the same treatment and meds here and requires a separate stop at the pharmacy . We were congested and coughing so only the antibiotics for the infection were required and some medicine for a potential yeast infection . The others were just supportive therapy . We can only imagine what the knee will cost , but upon admission before surgery , the hospital required almost $ 4000 ! :eek:

In Scotland we don't pay for our medication prescriptions but people in England pay approx £7 per item.

So they asked for $4000 deposit before treatment/operation? :eek: :eek:

I'm just glad that we don't have to worry about money if we need surgery, hospital treatment, to see our GP etc.

In Scotland we don't pay for our medication prescriptions but people in England pay approx £7 per item.

So they asked for $4000 deposit before treatment/operation? :eek: :eek:

I'm just glad that we don't have to worry about money if we need surgery, hospital treatment, to see our GP etc.

Yes , they asked for $4000 , but modified it to only $ 3400 if we paid it in full . :p The injury occurred 3 weeks today and and it's been a real mess since then .

As soon as the boat gets underway , it's about 30 minutes to Peterhof

IMG_7468-001_zps32prmpwm.jpg

And you will pass the cruise port

IMG_9015_zpsztjatfhs.jpg

You will fly on foils over the Gulf of Finland

IMG_7785-001_zpsqsvn1oau.jpg

But you won't be alone

IMG_7763-001_zps7fc65e33.jpg

The dock at Peterhof

IMG_9028_zps9evvyaii.jpg

We had to stop at the Kacca ( cashier ) to exchange our coupons for tickets .

IMG_9031_zpsem0231es.jpg

After getting your tickets there's a long pier

IMG_7778-001_zps315e3745.jpg

In the distance is the palace

IMG_9035_zps1myyewn0.jpg

When we visited SPB from the cruise ship we toured the palace

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/peterhof/grand-palace.asp

But today it was just the fountains which were already on

IMG_9043_zpsbxoo0noy.jpg

It's quite exciting to see the fountains come on in the morning and we highly recommend it . Here's a photo and a video from a previous visit when we did see it . Click on the video and you can see it too :

IMG_7480-002_zpskfd8afqp.jpg

The Grand Cascade

IMG_7721-001_zps70118ffe.jpg

The view from the palace .

IMG_9099_zpswlmy8cuu.jpg

To the OP, that is one very nice video and that boat looks like a floating airplane on water; just outstanding! Against Thanks for sharing your Outstanding Photos and I am praying that your lovely spouse is feeling better day by day.