Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Hi Gracie , we'll do all 5 but I've uploaded the N.P. photos already , sorry . We did book the Eclipse Baltic for June 5 next year with our grandson . :) :D

How exciting!! And something to look forward to...hope rehab is going well for Pat...

We are thinking of TA/Baltic B2B on Regal for 2017...if Princess offers same itinerary as it is in 2016....

How exciting!! And something to look forward to...hope rehab is going well for Pat...

We are thinking of TA/Baltic B2B on Regal for 2017...if Princess offers same itinerary as it is in 2016....

A TA/Baltic is our preferred way to go but the grandson can't do the TA and so we're doing the first Baltic that he can make - June 5th . Another nice thing about that one is 3 days in SPB and our Visas are good for another year , so we only need a Visa for him . The Regal is a lot like the S class Celebrity , except that many of the balconies are a little smaller on the Princess . We couldn't get the cabin that we had on our TA , but we did get the one next to it - another aft view . :) :D

Also here , we discovered a secret from 1958 and the Soviet days - the Pyshki . It has been here , in the same place since then .

IMG_0226_zpszngcrtxe.jpg

All they have is coffee , tea and Pyshki - delicious donuts , 5 for a dollar .

IMG_0228_zpsyshsxylj.jpg

Unfortunately , we have no photos as we ate all of the evidence in a feeding frenzy !!

A little later on this corner was a busker :

In this photo you can see # 3 peeking over and through the arch of Kazan Cathedral , Dom Knigi . The bridge is Nevsky Prospect .

Europe09019_zps769fc9a8.jpg

Dom Knigi (House of books) , used to be the Singer sewing machine building , as it's a great place to get books in English .

Europe09463_zpsfbf0d400.jpg

Kazan Cathedral is across busy Nevsky Prospect from Dom Knigi .

IMG_0004_zpsnktlajlp.jpg

b0d19f82-6b08-425a-9236-736c3cb65335_zps8yonqicu.jpg

A TA/Baltic is our preferred way to go but the grandson can't do the TA and so we're doing the first Baltic that he can make - June 5th . Another nice thing about that one is 3 days in SPB and our Visas are good for another year , so we only need a Visa for him . The Regal is a lot like the S class Celebrity , except that many of the balconies are a little smaller on the Princess . We couldn't get the cabin that we had on our TA , but we did get the one next to it - another aft view . :) :D

Tom-you did a TA on Regal Princess already? I don't see it listed in your signature.

Which deck is your balcony on? I ask because some of the Regal aft decks have a slight overhang (shade) and some have none.

Norris, aft dweller

Tom-you did a TA on Regal Princess already? I don't see it listed in your signature.

Which deck is your balcony on? I ask because some of the Regal aft decks have a slight overhang (shade) and some have none.

Norris, aft dweller

Baja and Dolphin have overhangs over about half of the balcony! :)

And the balconys are about 9 x 9 - not at all small!

The ones on the side of the ship are the small ones.

Karen (also an aft dweller)

Baja and Dolphin have overhangs over about half of the balcony! :)

And the balconys are about 9 x 9 - not at all small!

The ones on the side of the ship are the small ones.

Karen (also an aft dweller)

Thanks Karen- I should have said "partial overhang" not "slight".

I am used to the 100% coverage on the Grand Class aft, which I won't have on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Norris

All they have is coffee , tea and Pyshki - delicious donuts , 5 for a dollar.

Unfortunately , we have no photos as we ate all of the evidence in a feeding frenzy !!

The Hairy Bikers ( a cooking duo from BBC 2 ) have just been eating donuts and drinking coffee at the same cafe.

Edited by upwarduk

Norris, aft dweller

No, we have not cruised on the Regal Princess but my DW has taken a tour of her in Ft. Lauderdale . We were chatting with our friend Gracie115 with whom we did the TA in May on the the Eclipse and she hopes to do a TA and Baltic cruise on the Regal in the future . Our Baltic cruise is scheduled for June 2016 , in an aft cabin , Sunset Veranda . :) :D

The Hairy Bikers ( a cooking duo from BBC 2 ) have just been eating donuts and drinking coffee at the same cafe.

A couple of series's ago they were in wonderful New Orleans in Cafe Du Monde eating yummy beignets (puffed up French doughnuts). My favourite doughnuts.

We forgot this spot at # 14 Nevsky , decorated for Victory Day , with a reminder from the war , which says " Citizens , In the event of artillery fire , this side of the street is most dangerous " .

cf4180e3-948c-4dc1-b9a9-d2872d7c1f23_zpsl1urchv6.jpg

And we did find a picture of blini from Teremok

L1060073-001_zps1kkpd53j.jpg

Also at the House of Books is a Nevsky Prospect Metro station - a great place to stand in the street and take photos !

IMG_3807.jpg

In the evening the buskers are out

IMG_9877-001_zpsqrbbqeb7.jpg

This guy could pull some huge bubbles ! The lady in the red dress behind him has a boat on her head depicting the Scarlet Sails boat parade .

IMG_0021_zpskjcwln56.jpg

Article from the TASS news :

The Scarlet Sails

Photo credit: TASS/Andrew Pronin

Probably one of brightest events of summer here is the Scarlet Sails boat parade. Though today this celebration is closely associated with the end of the school year, the history of this event is deeply rooted in Russia’s pre-revolutionary past.

The fairy tale “Alye Parusa” (The Scarlet Sails) is probably the best-known work of Russian romantic writer Alexander Grin. This fairy tale takes place in a fictional land and tells the story of a young girl named Assol. It has been predicted that she would meet a prince, her one true love. According to the prediction, the prince was supposed to arrive on a ship with scarlet sails. By the end of the story, a wealthy captain falls in love with Assol and learns of her story. He docks his ship with scarlet sails and makes Assol’s dreams come true.

The modern festival was first held in 2005 and since then has become a much-anticipated annual celebration. Following a live open-air concert in the heart of the city, a beautiful parade of vessels sails along the banks of the Neva River to the sounds of classical music and fireworks. The boat parade is led by the fairy-tale ship “The Secret,” decked out with scarlet sails much like in Grin’s story.

Dates: June 19, 2015 - June 20, 2015

St. Petersburg is one of the world’s most beautiful cities, and deservedly so. Plan your St. Petersburg vacation during the warm summer months and enjoy dozens of smaller events held here from May to September.

We tipped the bubble guy , but passed on the fortune teller .

IMG_0024_zpsl1zviicy.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

nev1map_zpsn2hywm9s.jpg

On our map we see # 20 , the Duma , and it's Italinate tower , glowing in the 9 PM light , taken from the center of Nevsky Prospect facing East .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg_City_Duma

IMG_0054_zpsv89nacqy.jpg

And to the left of the previous photo is St. Catherine's Catholic church # 11 . If you would like a drawing of yourself , under the umbrellas is the place to go . And don't forget to negotiate the price !

IMG_2528-001_zpsxvbsg7qm.jpg

After passing the church we made a left at the next street , Mikhailovskaya , so that we could see the front of the Grand Hotel Europe , # 4 , perhaps the finest in St. Petersburg .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg_City_Duma

IMG_0074_zpsa4f7azcq.jpg

Did we forget # 21 across the street ? Oh no , we walked down further so that we could see part of this shopping mall whose original plans date back to 1757 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Gostiny_Dvor

IMG_0065_zpsxvfb9odm.jpg

With about 1/2 mile between traffic lights , it often becomes a drag strip for fast cars and motorcycles , so be careful when crossing the street here !! :eek:

Across the street from Gostiny Dvor , is # 12 - the Armenian Church .

IMG_0050_zps7frzaclk.jpg

Entering the courtyard we can fully appreciate the pastel blue church

IMG_0049_zps8zmveene.jpg

On the same side of the street is lucky # 13 , Passazh , or Passage , a mall that dates back to the 1850's .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passage

The interior reminds me of a smaller version of GUM (goom) in Moscow .

IMG_0033_zpsvw4glzs9.jpg

Because we were expecting colder , inclement weather in Moscow , I promised Pat a warm hat . But there was no way that I would set foot in this place .

IMG_0043_zpstkxpboxj.jpg

I felt a wet spot in the pocket where I keep my wallet ( I think that it was my charge card weeping ) . So my wallet and I began seeking higher ground ( and lower prices ) and found it upstairs . Bounding downstairs faster than a Borzoi on a hunting mission , I turned retriever , and asked Pat to come and see what I had found .

IMG_0067_zpsppsqauum.jpg

Mission accomplished , pictured in our apartment window !

DSC03398_zps83zmn0qp.jpg

#14 on the map is Yeliseevski Trade House ( food emporium ) was built in 1902 and is the place to go for fancy food or souvenirs .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliseyev_Emporium_(Saint_Petersburg)

Here's a photo from Catherine's Garden , across the street .

IMG_1213_zpsqr0e2qkg.jpg

It has a very distinctive style moderne design .

IMG_2506_zpsc5bdf25c.jpg

It's great to see that it has been restored to it's original opulence .

DSC03409_zpsgqxxjmsj.jpg

How about a little pineapple ?

DSC03404_zps6wsziz2d.jpg

DSC03405_zpsmbhtwkki.jpg

Or real Caviar ?

DSC03406_zpsn3olgpf1.jpg

Across N. P. from Yeliseevski's is # 24 , Catherine's Park with it's statue of Catherine the Great .

IMG_2509-001_zpszuxj4p44.jpg

Some of Catherine the Great's men .

IMG_2510_zps10f981f7.jpg

Behind C.T.G.'s park is # 23 , the Alexandrinsky Theatre .

IMG_1218_zpsiq4qepft.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/buildings/alexandrinsky-theatre/

IMG_2514-002_zpszycdwsec.jpg

Just a little further down where N.P. crosses the Fontanka River is our last stop . The building at the intersection is the Beloselsky - Belozersky Palace .

e8cc47e6-efbf-4995-8fb0-55cc77a43b45_zpstywpyryg.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/palaces/beloselskiy-belozerskiy-palace/

You may notice a horse statute in front of the palace . There are 4 raring horses here , one on each corner of the Anichkov Bridge .

IMG_8273-001_zps31dec34f-1.jpg

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/bridges/unmissable-anichkov-bridge/

This is a major intersection where you may board a ship for a canal cruise of the city or if you go to the Fabrege Museum , it's just a block down across from the river .

Next up : Some churches

Very POSH indeed , reminded us of Harrods a bit , on a much smaller scale .

DSC03451_zps5teucuys.jpg

We saw the larger version of the same store in Moscow , but unfortunately , Beluga Caviar is illegal to import here in the U.S. :(

Never been to Harrods. Glasgow doesn't have one. Lol

Never been to Harrods. Glasgow doesn't have one. Lol

That's funny ;) We have not been to Scotland , but we were supposed to visit there in 2005 . We bought tickets for a Kylie Minogue concert there at the SECC in March , but unfortunately , we couldn't make it . Perhaps next June , when we have a Baltic cruise planned on the Eclipse . :) :D

The Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ , also known as the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood , is the photograph that you are most likely to associate with St. Petersburg . Remember , Peterhof is in Petroverts outside of the city .

IMG_3784-001_zpsuhuujup7.jpg

It is stunning when viewed from the air

IMG_8491_zpsjs4ayfy8.jpg

land

IMG_8135_zpsv1ljj9l6.jpg

or sea ( river )

IMG_8634-002_zpsoihgdeyg.jpg

day

505261cd-39f8-4492-84d6-93cb902f7162_zpsyyyuxzq5.jpg

or night .

48e0d0b5-cd12-41f6-a5fc-c49008e0d424_zpsvctsaof6.jpg

The church was built by Tsar Alexander III after the assassination of his father Tsar Alexander II . His father had liberated the serfs in 1861 , but some people were not happy that they were not given land and so multiple murders killed him with bombs on March 13 , 1881 . It took 24 years to complete the building .

IMG_8287-002_zpsgs7ooypv.jpg

The church is beautiful from the outside .

IMG_0097_zpsspk09oww.jpg

But we would recommend and inside visit or you will be missing a lot !

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/cathedrals/church-resurrection-jesus-christ.asp

Spilled%20blood%20Stitch-001_zpsvw4kljmj.jpg

The interior is covered with 7500 sq. meters of eye - popping mosaics !!

Icono%20Stitch-001_zpswj4puphq.jpg

The 2 previous photos required multiple photos stitched together to show the full 81 meters from the floor to the highest point .

IMG_8668-001_zpsdxekfj5t.jpg

If you look closely along the canal photos , you will see a place where the building juts out into the canal . This is to cover the spot where the Tsar's blood was spilled and is marked by this shrine .

IMG_0192_zpsf0ijqot0.jpg

Many people have tried to compare the death of the Alexander II to that of Jesus , dying for his people . And you can see the mosaic of Jesus in the tomb , behind the shrine marker of the Tsar .

You would make a great Tour Guide!

Although we spent time in the church on Aug 1st, I don't remember being given that last piece of information.

Many people have tried to compare the death of the Alexander II to that of Jesus , dying for his people . And you can see the mosaic of Jesus in the tomb , behind the shrine marker of the Tsar .

Personally, I found the atmosphere in this church the least 'sacred.'

The mosaics were very 'over the top.'

Edited by upwarduk

That's funny ;) We have not been to Scotland , but we were supposed to visit there in 2005 . We bought tickets for a Kylie Minogue concert there at the SECC in March , but unfortunately , we couldn't make it . Perhaps next June , when we have a Baltic cruise planned on the Eclipse . :) :D

You have too visit Scotland. We have a beautiful country so full of history and wonderful friendly people but the most unpredictable weather! :(

Glasgow hosted the Commonwealth games last year. We were at the opening and closing ceremonies. In the opening ceremony we raised £3 million for SCIEF. :D at the closing ceremony we handed the honour of the 2018 commonwealth games to Australia and Kylie closed the show! Alex was sooooo happy. He even bought a new camera with a super duper zoom to see her better! Lol

You would make a great Tour Guide!

Although we spent time in the church on Aug 1st, I don't remember being given that last piece of information.

Personally, I found the atmosphere in this church the least 'sacred.'

The mosaics were very 'over the top.'

Thank you for those kind words , but I'm only repeating what I've heard and read . We first heard that information from our guide and the link provided seems to reinforce that point with it's quote " The more than 7500 sq. meters of mosaics link Alexander II's murder with the crucifixion ". Your observation concerning the church is spot on , as the church no longer functions as a church , but is considered to be a museum by Russia and it's people .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

The church was closed in 1932 under Stalin and fell into disrepair . In 1970 , the decision was made to repair it and it took 27 years before it reopened in 1997 . Looking at the mosaics , it's hard to imagine all of the work that was required during that time . Here's some of the famous bible stories from the walls .

The birth of Jesus

f962adac-a577-4bca-b622-511624e0ea4d_zpsqtf9wrbu.jpg

The woman at the well

IMG_8676-002_zps6izr29lo.jpg

The raising of Lazarus

IMG_0149_zps4np2obyz.jpg

The mosaics on the ceiling were more complex

6ac24c95-f74b-43eb-ba45-d25399067008_zpshjwvpjmk.jpg

Jesus as a boy

88fdacb7-ce55-4350-a8bc-df53295bce1d_zpsw1jhqxxr.jpg

Christ Pantokrator

5c14578d-cea3-4273-88c7-d02f09bdec94_zpss5a1h7bq.jpg