Advantages of PCC

mauijerry

Direct access to your booking if you stay with the PCC. If you deal with a ta you will become a third party. I think it's more likely to see an upsell if you book thru a PCC unless your ta has access to the manager of the upsell department or does a lot of business with hal.

Thanks for your thoughts Cruise Chic. I have the cabin I want so not looking for an upgrade.

Since I have always booked exactly the cabin I've wanted I personally see little use for a PCC. In 21 years of cruising I've never changed cabins from the cabin I booked on the initial reservation. We like to research and plan our own travel. We pick itineraries, cruise lines, ships, cabins, flights, pre and post cruise hotels, and transfers and book pretty much all of those ourselves. As for cruises we use a selection of two or three Internet based agencies and in return typically save 10% to 12% usually in the form of a cash discount and not OBCs. Works for us but understand others are more comfortable with a full service TA or cruise line PCC.

Edited by Randyk47

I can see 260 reasons to change.

But before you do, check to make sure that your TA/agency will not charge you for re-pricing or cabin changes in the event that the price decreases prior to final payment or the cabin categories get changed around to your advantage.

Also be aware that if you re-price and there is a significant decrease, your TA provided OBC will be reduced accordingly.

Edited by iancal

If I had a dollar for every time someone complained on here about their ta not returning calls my next cruise would be paid for. If you have issues hal will not talk directly to you. If you feel comfortable with that then I would go with the ta.

I can see 260 reasons to change.

But before you do, check to make sure that your TA/agency will not charge you for re-pricing or cabin changes in the event that the price decreases prior to final payment or the cabin categories get changed around to your advantage.

Also be aware that if you re-price and there is a significant decrease, your TA provided OBC will be reduced accordingly.

I bolded my biggest complaint. I have checked out 4 or 5 TAs and every one of them charges to make price changes. Some of our cruises we have had as many as 5 price drops before final payment. Going through our PCC we not only were never charged, but we had no middle man and could get answers quickly and directly. Any OBC a TA offers can be eaten up by those charges. :(

If/when I can find a TA who doesn't charge for changes, and answers phone calls promptly, then I may switch. But that day hasn't happened.

We have been fortunate. Our on line TA has worked with us for about 10 years.

No charges for re-prices, cabin changes, cancellations (other than cruise line charges).

Answers her phone. Promptly responds to voice messages and email. Because it is a large on line agency they have very extensive business hours. If we need to get something done when our TA is not there, like a re-price or an immediate booking/cabin change, there is always someone who can do it. Last time it happened to be her boss on a stat, the Sales VP.

Best of all 8-12 percent rebate of the commissionable fare in OBC. Charges to our credit card are made by the cruise line, not the agency.

The only contact we require is to request a quote, book, reprice, or change our cabin (very infrequent). Plus a few times when she set up three way calls with a cruise line to sort out an issue or an offer.

There are a number of agencies that advertise here that offer the same type of service.

Edited by iancal

Disadvantage of using a PCC if you pay for your cruise via American Express Platinum card: You do not get the extra $300 per cabin shipboard credit -- I think it is now for all cabin categories.

We have used the same TA for over 25 years and have never had a problem with her.

If/when I can find a TA who doesn't charge for changes, and answers phone calls promptly, then I may switch. But that day hasn't happened.

I have come across TAs that charge for service or have cancellation fees outside of what the cruise line might charge. I won't do business with them and none of the three Internet agencies I use have fees. They do exist. :)

I have used different travel agents 4 years

4 land vacations and now cruises. Never had any problems.

Always return my calls or emails promptly, and no extra

charges. Got me a nice upgrade 4 my cruise too.

Must be very lucky as our TA (of >25 years) is always prompt in responses, always gets us great pricing (and keeps checking after booking just in case) and extra benefits. His agency is associated with a travel consortium that has FT people to deal with individual cruise lines, in fact they have 1.5 people for HAL (1 person also does Seabourn half time) and when needed, they have been able to work magic for us. Too bad he is not taking more clients as sure I could find him many from CC.

I bolded my biggest complaint. I have checked out 4 or 5 TAs and every one of them charges to make price changes. Some of our cruises we have had as many as 5 price drops before final payment. Going through our PCC we not only were never charged, but we had no middle man and could get answers quickly and directly. Any OBC a TA offers can be eaten up by those charges. :(

Our agency doesn't charge for any changes, cancellations, etc.

Hope you find a good one.

Used a PCC years ago. Was not impressed with the service we received. No special rate that a TA couldn't beat or at least match. No bottle of wine or any other special gifts yet every TA we've used has gotten us a lower price and gifts. Guess we're just lucky.

Dan & Gail

Used a PCC years ago. Was not impressed with the service we received. No special rate that a TA couldn't beat or at least match. No bottle of wine or any other special gifts yet every TA we've used has gotten us a lower price and gifts. Guess we're just lucky.

Dan & Gail

A PCC will never provide a price advantage. I'd rather have direct access to my booking instead of going thru a middleman. I get a bottle of wine from my PCC.

We also get very reasonably priced travel insurance through our large on line travel agency. That plus the on board credits makes it a no brainer. The disadvantage is you can't talk directly with HAL. I have everything just the way I want it before I transfer to TA.

The bottom line is that if you shop around among reputable agencies, you will usually be able to save at least 7% in overall costs. If saving money is not a priority then by all means use your PCC.

Hank

We just booked one yesterday through a PCC and enjoyed it. He says they will match any price reductions found else where. We will see, but it was nice to quickly go through available cabins with him directly. We have used a TA and booked online. Still trying to decide what's best for us.

We just booked one yesterday through a PCC and enjoyed it. He says they will match any price reductions found else where. We will see, but it was nice to quickly go through available cabins with him directly. We have used a TA and booked online. Still trying to decide what's best for us.

I bolded your sentence only because I'm wondering about the Price Matching.. First of all we do the longer cruises of 21 up to 45 days & have even done a 68 day, our longest cruise .. And at the moment we normally book only outside cabins & once booked a Lanai..

We always book with a Travel Agent, who's fare is normally between 8% to 13 % below HAL's price.. In addition our TA gives us OBC.. Our TA does not charge cancellation or change fees, will lower the price for us if HAL lowers them & belongs to a consortium of Agents who have blocked space. He always returns my calls & when I e-mail him he normally telephones me..

Years ago we booked directly with HAL & to kill some time I looked at several Agents fares & discovered a big savings..When I questioned a HAL Supervisor, (granted this was many years ago) his answer to me was: "We can't match the prices of Travel Agents which hold blocked space" Now your post is completely contradicting what I was told or would this not be true for the longer cruises? Just on our 68 day cruise alone our savings was over $8,000 for the two of us which included the Fare, Insurance & OBC.. On the shorter cruises of 21 days we still save between 8% to 12%

I would be interested to know, if in fact your PCC can match the prices of TA's who hold blocked space..

Edited by serendipity1499

We have been fortunate. Our on line TA has worked with us for about 10 years.

No charges for re-prices, cabin changes, cancellations (other than cruise line charges).

Answers her phone. Promptly responds to voice messages and email. Because it is a large on line agency they have very extensive business hours. If we need to get something done when our TA is not there, like a re-price or an immediate booking/cabin change, there is always someone who can do it. Last time it happened to be her boss on a stat, the Sales VP.

Best of all 8-12 percent rebate of the commissionable fare in OBC. Charges to our credit card are made by the cruise line, not the agency.

The only contact we require is to request a quote, book, reprice, or change our cabin (very infrequent). Plus a few times when she set up three way calls with a cruise line to sort out an issue or an offer.

There are a number of agencies that advertise here that offer the same type of service.

You are so right.. Our TA is one of those Agents like yours..

I would be surprised but if true thus is actually a huge and significant change in HAL policy. I've had this very discussion with two HAL PCCs and without a shadow of doubt I was told very clearly HAL could not would not match discounted fares available from Internet TAs.