I am worried because there will be a JOCO groupe on our cruise.

I am sailing feb 21,2016 on freedom and now find out there is a large group of joco cruisers on our sailing. Maybe 1000 persons.

Will I be very disappointed with this sailing.:confused:

I am sailing feb 21,2016 on freedom and now find out there is a large group of joco cruisers on our sailing. Maybe 1000 persons.

they don't bother anyone, but nerd city is an understatement. Was on the Indy this yr with the group and had a terrible time getting early seating as their whole group had it. They have their own activities, but other times they will take over some places such as the Viking Crown at peak times before dinner. I would avoid the cruise if posssible if I knew ahead of time.

Here's part of my review (not posted yet) about them

On this cruise, there were a group of 800 interesting people. A few had their guitars in the card room playing and singing. Last yr was a bike cruise. This was a nerd cruise. This was the reason it was so hard to get early seating as they had the entire deck 3 early seating. Name of the group was JOCO (Jonathon Coulton) https://jococruisecrazy.com. Seems they go on lots of cruises. They were not hard to spot as in their dress, colored hair, demeanor. I called them “walkers” after the 2nd or 3rd day. They had their own speakers and entertainment and didn’t bother anyone for the most part. Wasn’t cool taking over much of the Royal Crown Lounge at peak before dinner hours though.

Edited by SeaUs

I have never heard of JOCO so I did a quick Yahoo search. Looks like all they have on offer is D3 category and OS. I didn't delve into FOS deck plans, but can they accommodate 1000 persons in those categories alone? I would be concerned based on the little I know.

If I am going on a theme cruise, I think I would rather chose the theme. On the other hand, will they interfere that much with what you want to do?

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

I really wouldn't worry. They say they hope to have "up to" 25% of the ship's capacity that's about 908 passengers - and that's only if they sell out all the way up to 25%.

Also, almost every cruise these days has a large group or event on it. In fact every single one I've been on has held a conference or concert or something. Last time it was a conference for an insurance company, and the time before that a doctors away retreat, and the one I'm going on this year has Ru Paul's Drag Race on it apparently.

Your cruise will feel just the same as before. They'll all eat together, drink and party in their own booked lounge together and go on their own shore excursions together.

We have been on 2 cruises on Indy, 2014 & 2015 with the Joco group. No problem at all with them.

We made some friends on the first cruise and saw them again early this year.

A quiet very intellectual group. They have their own functions and entertainment they pay for.

We sailed with them. We were not shut out of any venues but we had late seating and they are were on early. They had special entertainment prior to first seating so early seating's regular entertainment was not affected.

We were on a cruise that was 1/3 filled with Irish singers and their followers. They were a great group and caused no disruption. If we didn't know before we departed that they were going to be on the ship, we wouldn't have known it.

I have never heard of JOCO so I did a quick Yahoo search. Looks like all they have on offer is D3 category and OS. I didn't delve into FOS deck plans, but can they accommodate 1000 persons in those categories alone? I would be concerned based on the little I know.

If I am going on a theme cruise, I think I would rather chose the theme. On the other hand, will they interfere that much with what you want to do?

They've already sold out their interior and ocean view cabins from what i can tell and only have balconies and suites left.

To the OP how did you find out they were on your cruise? I ask because I am interested in finding out which, if any, groups might be on mine

Edited by calypso73

Of all the "special interest" groups out there, I'd _love_ to join that one, but sadly they usually travel in February which doesn't suit me.

From people I know involved in that sort of thing I'd be very surprised if they caused anyone any trouble.

Thanks all for your feedback.

The way I found out was I asked another question about my cruise on another post and someone there mentioned this group being on. He did not tell me how he knew.

I did email the Joco group and they told me that as of now, may 24,they have 475 staterooms booked and 18 staterooms left.

That seems like alot of people to me. I am not sure how many passengers Freedom holds.

But most here seem to think it is not a big deal.

Thanks all for your feedback.

The way I found out was I asked another question about my cruise on another post and someone there mentioned this group being on. He did not tell me how he knew.

I did email the Joco group and they told me that as of now, may 24,they have 475 staterooms booked and 18 staterooms left.

That seems like alot of people to me. I am not sure how many passengers Freedom holds.

But most here seem to think it is not a big deal.

At least you know there will be plenty of people who like music and comedy on your cruise :-). The boat is likely to sail full regardless of whether a group takes the spots or individuals / couples / families. I guess as long as long as the group isn't into human sacrifice or camping in the hallways they shouldn't disrupt your trip too much

Have fun :-)

We have been on several cruises that had groups ranging from 300 to 1500 persons, which was probably 1/10th to, say, a bit less than half the overall passenger count. In most cases it didn't interfere with our cruise. As others have mentioned, more often than not they are involved in group activities elsewhere.

However, on the one cruise, the larger group had venues reserved for themselves, and other scheduled activities for the general public had to be relocated, often at the last minute, or activities were delayed because the group had not vacated a venue.

On our last cruise, there was a medium-sized group (maybe 400-500?) that had daily activities but would break for lunch. You had to be sure to get to the buffet or MDR before they did or you could forget about getting a table. They would descend en masse and take over all at one time.

The cruisers that sail the JOCO cruises pay a pretty penny for private events. As was already stated, they have their shows before early seating which is a down time for the theater so you won't be missing anything. They set up private gaming rooms in the conference center that you never would have even realized existed on the ship. They do take a huge part of early seating and will be seen around the ship but they are a self proclaimed group of nerds that do their own thing.

Well I am on it now so I think I will just go with the flow and try to enjoy.

The thing that bothers me is we have early trad. Dining because of a 4 year old and it seems like this groupe take over the early dining in the main dining room completely so I think we will be on deck 4 in Issac.

That is ok but we always like out of the way tables because we have a 4 year old with problems when their is too much noise or traffic.

We need a table for 6 and was wondering are we better off to ask for a window table or alcove for a quieter table.

Any ideas?