lost luggage

Our cruise this fall will be the first time we don't have a direct flight to our cruise. How many have had lost luggage and do they find you before the ship leaves? Would the airlines find you mid cruise or wait until you returned home? I am a little concerned as we only have 1 hour between flights and I am concerned our luggage may not make it on the second leg of the flight.

We do luckily have a couple of days before the ship leaves so hopefully they would find us at our hotel before we board the ship.

Looking forward to all your responses.

Connie

I've never experienced it myself but I've been on cruises where people would have to wait until 1st or 2nd port of call to get their lost luggage. So I guess that means the airlines do know how to forward the luggage properly.

It's really good that you have a couple of days prior to your cruise, your bags should be able to find you much easier that way, if needed.

I've never had it happen to me, however, my luggage was lost on the flight home after a cruise. I was really grateful it was after.

I did have the people in the cabin next door lose their luggage. Our family got off to spend the day at the 1st port and at the end of the day when heading back to our room we saw their bags sitting outside their cabin door. So it took a day and by the end of the first stop they had them.

We travel often. Can not ever remember our bags getting lost going. It has happened twice over the past 30 years returning home. Came later than night or next morning.

Even flying in the same day, you should be fine. If you are staying in a hotel for a night, you are in GREAT shape.

Airline lost our luggage once on the way to Rome for a Med. cruise. It was 3 days before they found it, and we had to pick it up that day on the way to the port. Another few hours and we would have left without it. Fortunately, I always pack a basic wardrobe in the carry on.

As there is 2 of us and we normally travel a long distance by air, we cross pack so that each of us is carrying some of the other clothes. If a bag went missing we'd at least have some clothes to get us through the first couple of days. The weight and size of carry on is very limited on most of the airlines we fly across the Atlantic with, so carrying clothes in that is not normally an option.

I always put a note in the bag detailing our full itinerary, including any hotels we are staying at en-route to the cruise, together with the cruise details (stateroom number included) in case someone needs to know how to get the bags to us.

Like us Traveling from Canada that is always my worst fear. My wife and I like another poster has posted packs a 3 day supply in their carry on. Also I pack my Size 14 Sandles since size 14 isn't an easy size to find. Plus we normally stay the night before the cruise so that gives us some time to replace some stuff if needed. *knock on wood* We never have lost our luggage, But Delta airlines totally destroyed one piece of our luggage this month coming back from San Juan

I like the idea of cross packing and will definitely do that. Have always had some clothes in carry on luggage as well and will try and fit some more in this trip.

Wow they destroyed a bag, that doesn't sound good at all. Many years ago I had one broken and they put a bungy cord around it to hold it closed. But I fixed it and used it for a few more years after that.

The full itinerary sounds like a good idea as well so they can get the luggage to us anywhere along the trip. I will try not to worry about it and enjoy getting ready for our adventure.

Connie

My husband , way better him than me, had lost bag for 4 days on med. cruise. Royal Caribean could not have handled it better. It was not their fault. Tracked it and called numerous times. Might have gotten it a day sooner but our itinerary changed. He did have some clothes in carry on. They provided him with Tux for 1 st formal night and some extra t shirts. Kudos to them. From now on will cross back at least a few things.

We have only had a bag 'lost' once, and we were in a hotel that night; it was delivered very early the next morning (United). When it didn't come up on the carousel, we went to the customer service counter and filled out a form. They knew where it was (went on the wrong plane) we just had to wait for it to get back to us.

Our last med trip we had no luggage for 21 days including a 12 day cruise. Wasn't fun but we survived. DH was in better shape than I was. Found out about 5 days into the cruise that Lufthansa had finally found it and delivered it to the hotel we stayed at the first night in Paris. They were not interested in delivering it to the ship once they'd dropped it at the Hyatt. Thank goodness we had also planned on staying at that hotel the night before we left Europe.

In addition to cross-packing, make sure that any crucial or valuable items be placed in your carry-on.

Crucial/valuable items could include things such as medications / medical equipment, glasses/contact lenses, identification (passport / birth certificate), jewelry, camera / cell phone / tablet, etc.

Most clothing items can be replaced (except for unusual sizes, like the size 14 footwear mentioned by a previous poster), and most toiletries can be replaced. But certain things, if they go missing, have the potential to completely derail your vacation. Those are the things that you need to make sure you have enough of in your carry-on to last you for the entire length of your trip.

Our cruise this fall will be the first time we don't have a direct flight to our cruise. How many have had lost luggage and do they find you before the ship leaves? Would the airlines find you mid cruise or wait until you returned home? I am a little concerned as we only have 1 hour between flights and I am concerned our luggage may not make it on the second leg of the flight.

Over the years (we are of a certain age) we have learned that we get along quite nicely with what we can put into our carry-ons.:) It took awhile; we used to each have a carry-on and a big bag for a seven night cruise. :( NO MORE! :D

Over the years (we are of a certain age) we have learned that we get along quite nicely with what we can put into our carry-ons.:) It took awhile; we used to each have a carry-on and a big bag for a seven night cruise. :( NO MORE! :D

Wow, wish I could do that. This is a 2 week cruise plus 1 week split pre and post cruise with fall/winter weather and summer so..... No way will I get away with 2 carry-ons. Hope I can get away with 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons.

Our first cruise in December 2002 was the southern Caribbean starting in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Two of the five families flew in the day before...glad we were one of them. My sister in law lost two bags and they were delivered to the hotel at midnight. Due to weather AND possibly lost luggage...we always fly the day before our cruise. That way if there is lost luggage it can get to us hopefully before we sail. We also like the time to just relax prior to the cruise and it really makes a good start to the cruise. If you can, fly the day before. If not, I would cross pack. We usually cross pack anyway. I put enough items in each suitcase for two days minimum. And our carry on has our swim suits. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My solution to this is pack only in carry ons. I'm actually planning my next cruise with just a carry on. There are a lot of videos on utube on packing with only a carry on. I've learned some neat tricks. However I'm going to a warm climate so lots of light clothes no jacks or boots or anything heavy. If I had to check I would definitely cross pack.

Our biggest change in weather was between Australia/NZ in March, Transpacific then Hawaii b2b in April, so went from 60 to 85. I still could have left 1 suitcase home and gone with the 25 " & carry on and this was a 54 day trip. Our cruise in Oct will be 50's in Quebec & Canadian cities, down the east coast & to 80/90's in FL, so going from levies & jackets to shorts in 2 weeks of cruising.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We have been very fortunate with checked luggage, and we fly quite a bit.

We had one bag go missing at YVR when we were changing planes. it took about two hours for them to find it, fortunately our next plane was late.

That is an airport I hope to not fly through again.

I do like Toronto though. :)

Make sure you have full contact and trip itinerary information inside each piece of luggage.

Good luck!

I travel for work. 3 times I have had my luggage delayed. 3 times it was because of weather causing flight delays and I was switched to a different flight. Two time my bags never made the flight and arrived via courier the next day. Last time my bags were about 30 minutes late coming in on my original flight but delayed by 3 hours. Lost luggage is the exception.

We always arrive the day before a cruise. Nothing could ruin it more than missing the ship on a delayed flight and secondly not having our luggage.

JoeRum

My girlfriend had her bags just plain lost by United. We arrived a day early to Orlando/port Canaveral and her bag didn't. We were told for about 16hrs that it was on the next flight coming into Orlando. The next morning arrives still no bags. So we had to go to Walmart and Marshals and buy new everything from bathing suits to toiletries. All she had was one outfit and shoes in here carry-on. It sucked dropping 200 before we even step foot on the ship, but RCI saved the day. They lent her a dress for formal night and gave is OBC. We received the bags on our 2nd port because the airport in Haiti is 4hrs from the cruise terminal. Moral of the story... Pack 3 outfits in the carry-on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk