Help me understand renting boston whalers

mitsugirly

It's really neat you can go to small beach like the one in the photo and that is the only way to get there.

cb4e34aef137da4c46121f686705a26e.jpg

Charles, where is this island? Can you see it on a map? I want to go there!!! I am thinking of all the amazing pictures I could get there. :D

Jaime said they showed up at the dock and no one was around. Did not say how they knew it was due to high winds . I don't think they have worry about being charged if no one was there and the boats did not go out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's right, but Jaime also said that ""due to high winds we didn't go" so I was confused and asking for clarification. They will not be charged but if there are questions just email them as they're excellent at responding when there are questions like that.

We actually had a motor problem last trip and were finally able to limp back to Mangrove bay and they refunded our full price - excellent outfit! ;)

She said showed up at "their" dock. So she must have taken a bus or taxi to "their" dock. That is how I interpreted what she wrote because she said "their" dock.

You can walk from the bus stop or taxi down a lane from the road to Mangrove Bay where their office and dock are located. The Cambridge Beaches Resort is right across from there.

That's right, but Jaime also said that ""due to high winds we didn't go" so I was confused and asking for clarification. They will not be charged but if there are questions just email them as they're excellent at responding when there are questions like that.

We actually had a motor problem last trip and were finally able to limp back to Mangrove bay and they refunded our full price - excellent outfit! ;)

Don't worry. A lot of the stuff in these posts I find confusing too. Have to read them a few times over.

Charles, where is this island? Can you see it on a map? I want to go there!!! I am thinking of all the amazing pictures I could get there. :D

I know exactly where that beach is but you won't be able to go there with your boat because it is on the East End inside Castle Harbour. You would have to go to Blue Hole to rent.

Edited by Charles4515

Oh now this is scaring me! Some people over on the Dawn SM site are scaring me as well with a news report showing a TA got lost and couldn't find their way back and had to call 911. I'm a little freaked out now with doing this on our last day. :eek:

Anyone know how long it takes to get from H2O passing by Black Bay and finding sea glass for a quick stop and then on around to the ships for some pics? How long would you estimate this would take to get there? Then we plan on either turning around and coming back the same way so that we don't get lost or IF we can continue on around in that bay area, is there a bridge that we can cross under to take us right back to H2O? On google earth I see something that says Watford Bridge. Can you go under that with the boat?

I know exactly where that beach is but you won't be able to go there with your boat because it is on the East End inside Castle Harbour. You would have to go to Blue Hole to rent.

Oh, well darn. It looked so pretty.

But there are several nice little islands to choose from on the west end, no worries! We found a few that were empty and easily beach able for a relaxing lunch with amazing views. Again, just watch for rocks while in shallow water and beaching but the water is very clear.

I believe you were taking the jet ski tour first? If so let the guide know you are interested in some nice islands to hit in the boat later twilit will show you some great snorkel and beach spots to hit, and can probably point out sea glass beach too.

Have fun!

[EDIT] just saw your last post - It is nice to go between the ocean and bay under the bridges and tour some of the bay shore and then back out around the islands. So we didn't head directly to the Dockyard but it's not that far. The bridges are marked on the map.

Edited by blue_water

Here is a picture of where H2O is located and I see there is a private island right out there and then there's another one close to it that doesn't say "private" on google earth.

Anyone know if you are allowed to go there?

island_zpsphbisrmy.jpg

Someone posted a few pictures of it on there and it looks beautiful.

land_zpsy1hpwyaj.jpg

I'm confused about what showing up at the dock has to do with it? They don't meet you at the dock. You have to either 1) take the bus there or 2) catch a cab there. So, there wouldn't be anyone at the dock waiting for you either way. :confused:

We took the bus to mangrove bay at 8:00 for our 8:30 reservation as if we were going to go out on our boat. It was our second day in bermuda and talked to people who were supposed to rent boats or take snorkel excursions the day before and said they were all cancelled due to high winds. The ships both breakaway and summit had trouble docking because of the wind, never mind smaller crafts. We never saw any jet skis or smaller boats out on the water while we were docked, just bad luck I guess!

We took the bus to mangrove bay at 8:00 for our 8:30 reservation as if we were going to go out on our boat. It was our second day in bermuda and talked to people who were supposed to rent boats or take snorkel excursions the day before and said they were all cancelled due to high winds. The ships both breakaway and summit had trouble docking because of the wind, never mind smaller crafts. We never saw any jet skis or smaller boats out on the water while we were docked, just bad luck I guess!

Oh, that explains it. So sorry you were unable to do it. I hope I have better luck and good weather but you never know I guess.

[EDIT] just saw your last post - It is nice to go between the ocean and bay under the bridges and tour some of the bay shore and then back out around the islands. So we didn't head directly to the Dockyard but it's not that far. The bridges are marked on the map.

I think this is a better idea. Just head under the bridge to start with and in the bay, around the ships and circle around the island staying closer to shore because that way we would run right into H2O by the looks of the map. :)

Whatever floats your boat! We enjoyed motoring in and out of the different bays and seeing the nice yachts and homes but you will just plan your day as you go and not be tied to any particular route unless you're in a hurry to get somewhere.

And no worries, the motor problem is rare with these engines and there are plenty of people within view in most areas. I don't know how anyone could get lost unless they were looking for an underpass and were too far out and missed it possibly... But you have a ton of information, share your day when you return.

I'm trying to decide between the west end and the east end to rent a whaler. I was looking at the KS website and they seem to say that the east end is better. I was thinking that I would like the east end too but does anyone know what would make it better? Also, can anyone comment on Blue Hole or KS? KS is right at St. George's which would be easier and Blue Hole is at Grotto Bay which would take a little longer to reach. Thanks!

For the person who was considering 6 people in a Whaler, personally, I wouldn't do it. 4 would be my maximum number in one of those. There's 5 of us and we're actually considering a pontoon boat instead. I'm not a fan, but, the Whaler is just too small for 5 people and I really don't want to rent 2 boats.

For the person who was considering 6 people in a Whaler, personally, I wouldn't do it. 4 would be my maximum number in one of those. There's 5 of us and we're actually considering a pontoon boat instead. I'm not a fan, but, the Whaler is just too small for 5 people and I really don't want to rent 2 boats.

I was told by rental company no more than 4 to boat

We had the 6 people and it worked out wonderful. I believe places like Sommerset only offer a 15' whaler. We had a 17' motor boat that we rented from H20 and had an AWESOME day and they were wonderful. :)

Problem is: we are 11 people. So it'll be a boat of 5 & a 6. If not, I need to rent 3 boats... So we'll squeeze together !

Also, the pontoon boat is 10 max, so there again, we'd need more boats. $$$

Edited by CanadaJulie

Problem is: we are 11 people. So it'll be a boat of 5 & a 6. If not, I need to rent 3 boats... So we'll squeeze together !

Also, the pontoon boat is 10 max, so there again, we'd need more boats. $$$

It is not the idea of squeezing together but the idea of sinking the boat. Too many people in the boat is a safety hazard. We rented from Somerset and put 5 people in the Whaler and then used the pontoon for the remaining 10 people in our group. The Whaler was sitting pretty low in the water with the five adults in it. Maybe the 17" whaler from H2O would be a better idea if you are going to put 6 people in one boat.

I have read reviews from places prior to going to Bermuda and renting the whalers. I remember a few that said they had issues with water coming in (because they sit so low to the water and are flat) and they were constantly shoveling water out. (Not my idea of fun).

The one that we had only got water in it twice when we were going fast and hit a wake from another big boat. We did exactly what they told us, while moving forward, pull the drain plug at the back of the boat, and it immediately emptied out. No shoveling water out with anything. It was a lot of fun that day and next time we go back, we will definitely be doing it again.

Since H2O has the bigger boats, we had no issue at all with room or sinking too far down. They have laws on the sizes of the boats and the capacity. It really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not everyone has room or is comfortable.

I think you would have a great time to get 2 of the 17' motorboats from H20 for everyone.

It is not the idea of squeezing together but the idea of sinking the boat. Too many people in the boat is a safety hazard. We rented from Somerset and put 5 people in the Whaler and then used the pontoon for the remaining 10 people in our group. The Whaler was sitting pretty low in the water with the five adults in it. Maybe the 17" whaler from H2O would be a better idea if you are going to put 6 people in one boat.

That's the plan yes. The 17' whaler from H2O with 5 or 6 people in each. 4 f which are 'kids' but they are all big kids, 14 and up.

We went out as a couple for a more romantic day with H2O, but 2 adults and 2 kids would be just fine as would 4 adults. ANy more may feel like a crowd but that's your call.

No worries on the water around the motor, just part of the design and that can happen when going slow or jumping wakes. The biggest issue would be placing a bag by the motor that's not waterproof, that's the only concern I'd mention. Other than that no worries and these boats are extremely safe.

Great day on the water, and the West End would be our first choice but we're partial to the islands there.

Enjoy! :)

Edited by blue_water

I have searched on here for answers, but can't really seem to find what I'm looking for.

I recently discovered what renting the "boston whalers" meant and after checking into it, thought it would be a neat thing to do (however after reading another thread, it said "book early they fill up quickly", so we might not even find a place to rent one at this point).

Anyhow...from what I'm reading (correct me if I'm wrong) once they give you the demonstration on running it, you go on your own? Like without a captain or tour guide?

So if that's the case, how do you know where to go? If you do a 4 hour rental, how far will that take you? (Looking at using Sommerset Bridge Rentals).

Do you just cruise around looking at the shoreline? Are you able to stop at any time and jump in the water and snorkel? Is there a way to get back up on it easily?

Are you able to go to any of the beaches and can you "park" there? Or are you completely restricted to staying out in the water? Just wondering what beaches you would be able to make it to from the Sommerset bridge (Sandys) location.

What we are thinking of doing (if they have available reservations) is to rent jet skis for 2 hours doing the "tour" and then when we get back go out on the whaler (since we'll be a little more familiar with the water and area after that).

What do you think?

I did Somerset Rentals in Bermuda last September and rented a Boston Whaler. They are great. They will give you a laminated map and point out areas that you can visit with the boat including a shipwreck where you can feed fish with bread that they will provide you, and several private islands that you can pull the boat up on and camp out on. The map they give you has a suggested route that is essentially a giant circle that ends you up back at Somerset at the end. This was the highlight of the Bermuda trip for my wife and I, I highly recommend it.