Formal dress and Packing

AlaskaBust

Hi all,

I will be sailing this summer on HAL Zaandam. I have cruised 4 other cruise lines, and found what is acceptable for formal dinning seems to vary widely. I am looking for some recent (2015) experiences and observations for HAL and mainly the Zaandam. What was acceptable? What was the prevailing level of dress? I have seen some suggestions that showing up with sport and slacks should get meet the minimum. I work in professional environment and I have no issue wearing a sport coat and tie, even a suit. But the prevailing dressing down in american culture, makes its difficult being the one suit in the room, if you know what I mean.

Agree with scrapnana that you will not be the only suit in the dining room. My DH usually wears his tux, occasionally wears his dark suit with a tie, has never worn a sport jacket (not sure he owns one) and has never felt out of place.

On our 4 cruises since last year, suits were in the majority, followed by sport coat and tie. Tuxes brought up the rear with anywhere from 12%-20%. You won't feel out of place in any of the options.

Although many men, including my DH don't wear tuxedos any more, you will see quite a few men dressed in suits or jackets with ties.

So true about how the Americans are dressing down.

It's no surprise that people in the U.S. Are dressing down. Look at the tech field. Employees making $300,000/year and dress in t shirts, jeans, and a ball cap or hoodies. It's the way of the future and I like it.

It's no surprise that people in the U.S. Are dressing down. Look at the tech field. Employees making $300,000/year and dress in t shirts, jeans, and a ball cap or hoodies. It's the way of the future and I like it.

You can buy a tux cheaper than a lot of those jeans. :D

DH rents a tux...love a man in a tux. :) He used to take his dark suit, shoes, shirts, ties etc. Then we started renting, what a way to go. Very easy and the tux is waiting for him in the cabin. Never had a problem with fit and if that should happen there is a tailor onboard who could make adjustments. The site offers all sorts of options.

After his last wear on a formal night he bags it up leaves it in closet and all is taken care of.

He does take a nice sports jacket for dinner on smart casual night. To each their own but when I cruise I feel special and like to dress up. We don't get the chance to break out the fancy duds to often so when we cruise we make it our time to shine.

So if you're making less than $300K, pants are optional. Yay!

I'm just saying-----

I love to see a man dressed up on formal nights. My husband alway wore a tux or a white dinner jacket (especially in the tropics) on formal nights. He also brought along a dark suit. He looked wonderful. He is gone now, but I have the memory of wonderful formal nights. It is sad to see a woman dressed beautifully with her mate looking like a mug. If you don't want the expenditure of formal wear, you can rent an outfit from the ship or bring a dark suit and you will be fine. Dressing down doesn't have to be the norm. I will continue to dress up for the occasion. The worst thing I've seen on formal night was one time when a man in the dining room wore his baseball cap and it was on backward. Maybe really cool, but so inappropriate. Of course there is always the option of eating at the Lido if dressing up is too much trouble. Just one person's opinion.

Hooked on travel

I'm just saying-----

I love to see a man dressed up on formal nights. My husband alway wore a tux or a white dinner jacket (especially in the tropics) on formal nights. He also brought along a dark suit. He looked wonderful. He is gone now, but I have the memory of wonderful formal nights. It is sad to see a woman dressed beautifully with her mate looking like a mug. If you don't want the expenditure of formal wear, you can rent an outfit from the ship or bring a dark suit and you will be fine. Dressing down doesn't have to be the norm. I will continue to dress up for the occasion. The worst thing I've seen on formal night was one time when a man in the dining room wore his baseball cap and it was on backward. Maybe really cool, but so inappropriate. Of course there is always the option of eating at the Lido if dressing up is too much trouble. Just one person's opinion.

Hooked on travel

Yeah, wearing a backwards baseball cap is not cool. To me it shows a lack of respect and imagination.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It sounds like HAL formal definition is pretty soft. I am still going with a dark suite, wife and daughters fine dresses. ;)

YEAH!!!! Those of us who appreciate formal nights (and its 1 of the reasons we cruise HAL), we applaud your decision!

Thanks to everyone for your input. It sounds like HAL formal definition is pretty soft. I am still going with a dark suite, wife and daughters fine dresses. ;)

That will be just fine. From very formal, (Tux and Gown)l to neat casual seems to be the normal in the the dining room on HAL. No jeans or shorts.

FORMAL NIGHT RIP

Just returned from the Veendam. Maybe 10 tuxes in the entire dining room. Very few suits, mostly sport jacket and tie. A few with no tie or jacket.

People still wearing shorts in the rest of the common areas and shows. Cruise director said on her morning TV show. "Wear whatever is formal to you".

Can't see anyone being turned away for any reason .....swimming attire is still probably too far, but give it a year....

I will continue to wear a tux but now feel like I am almost part of the staff. Sad, but I accept reality and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Women, as always, can wear whatever they want except swimwear. But if they throw on some pearls and a cover up skirt they would probably be admitted.

I think Cunnard line may be the last hold out for a true formal night.

FORMAL NIGHT RIP

Women, as always, can wear whatever they want except swimwear. But if they throw on some pearls and a cover up skirt they would probably be admitted.

QUOTE]

Have a friend who would wear her pearls while exercising at the gym in sweats - thanks for the memory and the smile you created as she has passed.

FORMAL NIGHT RIP

Just returned from the Veendam. Maybe 10 tuxes in the entire dining room. Very few suits, mostly sport jacket and tie. A few with no tie or jacket.

People still wearing shorts in the rest of the common areas and shows. Cruise director said on her morning TV show. "Wear whatever is formal to you".

Can't see anyone being turned away for any reason .....swimming attire is still probably too far, but give it a year....

I will continue to wear a tux but now feel like I am almost part of the staff. Sad, but I accept reality and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I think Cunnard line may be the last hold out for a true formal night.

Seems to me I remember her saying that too. She way something else. Wear what's comfortable, like some people need encouragement like that:D. I always dress above the code as well because that just me. I bet we were on the same cruise. I was on May 9 - 23.

FORMAL NIGHT RIP

You should feel real good as us ladies see you and look at you in appreciation. [emoji4]

So, I am discussing your feedback on formal dress with a member of the group joining us on this cruise. Unsatisfied with prior discussions, they called HAL. HAL customer service was very clear that the formal dress code as published, is to be strictly observed on ship. Big disconnect somewhere within HAL.:eek:

So, I am discussing your feedback on formal dress with a member of the group joining us on this cruise. Unsatisfied with prior discussions, they called HAL. HAL customer service was very clear that the formal dress code as published, is to be strictly observed on ship. Big disconnect somewhere within HAL.:eek:

I don't think some of the reps have ever been on a ship. I think the world of my PCC and I told her I love the cabanas on the ships. She had no idea which ships they were on. I was surprised by that.

I've seen men turned away from the MDR on formal night on a HAL ship (I believe it was the Westerdam a few years ago) for not wearing proper attire. Most guests appreciated that since it would downgrade the lovely atmosphere those of us dressed up were feeling.

I saw lots of men turned away on veendam in March if they lacked a tie and jacket. Interestingly, they admitted a woman wearing what was basically a knee length tshirt tank top (print fabric) that matched what Onslo (Hyacinth's BIL) would wear more than a swim suit cover up. Honestly, the guys in chinos without the tie looked more dressed up.