Seattle seafood that won't break the bank?

2red4u

Hi, I would research "Day's Boathouse", the "Herbfarm", Elliott's Oyster house, Matt's in the market (for a good salmon sandwich from their counter service) , Westward & Gull. These were from a 10best list. Good luck.

For crab we get them steamed from the little restaurants in line with Starbucks in Pike Market. We get one for both of us. Counter service. Don't eat bivalves but I know I saw them there.

Edited by SadieN

Trina lists some of the best and most expensive in Seattle. For value yes go to some of the small lunch type counters at some of the places in Pike Place Mkt. Personally for a good sit down meal I live Chinook's at Fishermans Terminal (owned by Anthony's) or Ivars Salmon House on Lk Union

The Herbfarm is the very definition of bank-breaking and even its most ardent local fans will not try to argue the value equation. Ray's is just as bad. Matt's lost the magic both when it expanded and when it lost Matt. Worst. Advice. Ever. Has the person who posted that ever been within 1000 miles of Seattle? Or are they so wealthy that $180-225 plus tax and tip (Herbfarm) or a $60 crab leg entree (Ray's) is pocket change? Honestly.

The Taylor Shellfish advice is dead on. Beware if you're dining with people who don't eat shellfish as there is literally almost nothing else on the menu. You will not find better oysters or crab anywhere and many of the market stalls are selling Taylor anyway.

Two other ideas from someone who is in the Seattle area, eats seafood four to five meals a week and works for a living:

Steelhead Diner by the Market is very competent with northwest seafood. It's quintessentially what I think a contemporary NW restaurant is all about. Their fish preparations are excellent.

Where I eat frequently in downtown when I want simple insanely-fresh sustainable fish is the Whole Foods Market on Westlake. They shuck oysters on request, and the grill adjacent to the seafood department will grill, sauté or deep-fry any purchase from the meat or seafood counter gratis, and slap it next to a couple of freshly-prepared simple sides of your choice. I regularly get a pound of fish and a dozen oysters, for example. It's presented on a real plate with a cloth napkin. You can dine at the adjacent tables or counter, but if you want beer/wine, haul your plate up front to the cafe area. The atmosphere is "eating in a grocery store, albeit a nice one", but the value equation is fantastic.

Ivar's *fish bars* for fish and chips and chowder. The sit-down locations (Acres of Clams and Salmon House) are good but not great value. Anthony's - same issue - fish bars and Little Chinook's are good value, restaurants are pricey for what you get.

One of the best ways to discover Seattle food and eat cheap is Chinese in the ID. Many places will have live tanks with local options, including razor clams, Dungeness crab and spot prawns. I particularly like Jade Garden in this realm - it looks sketchy but the food is excellent and the featured live tank items are excellent value.

I'm still mad at the person who suggested The Herbfsrm. I hope you get fleeced in a tourist trap on your next vacation!

Wow thanks. I've been looking at menus and had to agree some places were not wallet friendly, for our family, anyway. My kids always try a raw oyster but have yet to like them. My husband and I however will be consuming many dozens! Everything else is fair game. My oldest doesn't like fish, except sushi. But hasn't tried tuna yet. All shellfish is eaten hand over fist. We all wanting to try razor clams. I can't wait until Friday!!

Hi, I would research "Day's Boathouse", the "Herbfarm", Elliott's Oyster house, Matt's in the market (for a good salmon sandwich from their counter service) , Westward & Gull. These were from a 10best list. Good luck.

Elliott's Oyster House is a local classic. However, it's closed until July 1 due to the seawall construction down on the waterfront. It also gets madly crowded when it's open, especially at happy hour (when they have great oyster specials).

I haven't been to Westward & Little Gull, but I've heard good things. Another newer place that's getting a lot of buzz from the local foodies is Rock Creek.

Ray's Boathouse, Matt's in the Market, and the Herbfarm are all outstanding, but they probably WILL break the bank by many people's standards. Hell, Herbfarm will break it by just about anybody's! And you'll need to make a reservation for Herbfarm well in advance--weeks ahead, in some cases. And just so you know, Herbfarm is one of those places where the the chef decides what's being served each evening--you just eat it, and be grateful you got a (shared) table (some people adore that, but I'm WAAAAY too much of a picky eater and a control freak! :mad:) Ray's and Matt's are more conventional, with a regular menu and a table of your very own (Ray's Cafe upstairs is more casual, and cheaper, than the downstairs dining room). You'll get a great meal at any of these three, don't get me wrong--but for most of us, all three of these restaurants are special occasion places, and not "reasonably priced."

Matt's in the Market is not the lunch counter with the great salmon sandwiches--that's the Market Grill. Matt's is a lot more upscale and polished than that--and a LOT more expensive! But for bang for your buck, you really can't beat a grilled salmon or halibut sandwich at the Market Grill...on a fresh, crunchy baguette...with house-made rosemary mayo and a side of house-made coleslaw or clam chowder...now I'm hungry!!

I used to love Steelhead Diner, but I have the same complaint VibeGuy has about Matt's in the Market--used to be great, now, not so much. In this case, they opened another restaurant (Blueacre Seafood), and all their attention and effort seemed to go there. The last time I went to Steelhead, the service was downright negligent and the food wasn't much better. I'd love to have someone convince me they'd pulled out of their slump, but I probably won't go back otherwise (well, maybe for brunch...) Blueacre gets some good reviews, but I've never been there.

I'll put in another vote for Chinook's at Fisherman's Terminal. It's not fancy or elegant, but the seafood is fresh and well-prepared and the prices are pretty reasonable.

For oysters, the Walrus and the Carpenter in Ballard gets stellar reviews from local foodies, and out-of-town media as well. There's always a wait (they don't take reservations) but people who love oysters say it's worth it.

For crab, consider Etta's Seafood, at the north end of the Market. Tom Douglas does know his way around a crabcake. It's not especially cheap, but their "Crabby Hour" has some pretty good deals. Another idea for crab is what VibeGuy said: go to the International District. Seven Stars Pepper Szechwan is famous for their Szechuan Crab (but call ahead to make sure they have it that day). Or, just buy a fresh, steamed Dungeness crab at one of the fish vendors at the market, have them clean it for you, pick up some crackers and forks at Sur la Table, get some french bread at Three Girls Bakery, find a bench, and dig into a spectacularly messy and delicious meal.

DO NOT go to the Crab Pot on the waterfront. Trust me on this. If you must have a seafood boil like theirs (shellfish of your choice, corn, potatoes, seasonings, boiled up together and dumped on your table for you to dismember and eat with your hands), go to The Cajun Crawfish. Othello light rail stop. You won't regret it.

Since you have fish-haters and oyster-dislikers among your party I'll throw out some not-seafood-specific restos which do offer some good local seafood among other dinner options:

Local360 - Happy Hour, with $1 oysters (although if your kids are not 21+ this is no good to you as they can't sit in the bar), always mussels, something fishy, and a great locavore menu in general.

BOKA - another locavore resto, with a broad menu. Usually at least 4 fish or seafood entrees, various appies & happy hour nibbles too. As a hotel restaurant they expect guest of all ages and we've always been able to get happy hour dishes without having to sit at the bar.

Mistral - Happy Hour here is simply insane value, though again bar only; foie gras torchons at $5!? Always oysters & clams on HH menu too; full menu adds in at least one large fish dish, usually a shellfish one too. Non-happy hour dining isn't cheap, but it's certainly not bank-breakingly bad. This is our fave Seattle resto and we've always felt it was money well-spent.

The first two are downtown, the last nearer Seattle Center.

I appreciate all the recommendations. I'm trying to balance a kid who is allergic to shellfish with a husband who loves crawfish but is allergic to milk, so all these menus are helping me out tremendously.

I think I've narrowed down to Pike Brewing Company for safe food for all. Any flinching on that choice? We're checking out the Seattle Aquarium and then heading to dinner with a party of 5, so I was looking for casual and close.

Thanks again everyone I have narrowed it down to steelhead, Anthony chinook or Taylor's. My husband liked the idea of getting a crab and having them pick it for us and having a picnic with other treats from the market. So we will prob do that for lunch.

Vibeguy - My husband won't let me go to whole food. He said I would spend all day in there!! I love grocery stores and we don't have one of those.

I noticed both Ivar's and Elliot's mention on their websites that they will reopen on 7/1. Does anyone know if this is a firm date? Do you think there's a possibility there will be delays due to on going construction? We'll be in Seattle on 7/22 thru 7/24.

Thanks,

I noticed both Ivar's and Elliot's mention on their websites that they will reopen on 7/1. Does anyone know if this is a firm date? Do you think there's a possibility there will be delays due to on going construction? We'll be in Seattle on 7/22 thru 7/24.

Thanks,

I was in the neighborhood yesterday on my way to and from work; I think that July 1 date is pretty solid and I would be VERY surprised if it were extended - these businesses are being paid significant sums for their inconvenience and closures deeper into the tourist season would be pretty toxic. I know in some of the affected zone, sidewalks are already back in place, signaling the end of the construction process.

I appreciate all the recommendations. I'm trying to balance a kid who is allergic to shellfish with a husband who loves crawfish but is allergic to milk, so all these menus are helping me out tremendously.

I think I've narrowed down to Pike Brewing Company for safe food for all. Any flinching on that choice? We're checking out the Seattle Aquarium and then heading to dinner with a party of 5, so I was looking for casual and close.

If you go in with appropriate expectations you'll be fine - i.e. if your family are happy in what I lump together as 'TGIChillibees' type restaurants they'll be happy with Pike. If you're trying to handle your food issues but still find a place that might make people go 'Oooh!' or 'I've never had THAT before' I'd be inclined to keep looking...

The food was not bad by any means, but we have chosen to dine elsewhere even when we've been drinking their beer ever since the first visit (they do make a couple of beers we very much enjoy, and there's usually even one Cask-conditioned brew available).

I was in the neighborhood yesterday on my way to and from work; I think that July 1 date is pretty solid and I would be VERY surprised if it were extended - these businesses are being paid significant sums for their inconvenience and closures deeper into the tourist season would be pretty toxic. I know in some of the affected zone, sidewalks are already back in place, signaling the end of the construction process.

How far are Ivar's and Elliott's from the Marriott Waterfront Hotel on Alaskan Way? Are they in a reasonable, defined as not too far, walking distance from the hotel?

Vibeguy - My husband won't let me go to whole food. He said I would spend all day in there!! I love grocery stores and we don't have one of those.

What if you could combine a seriously cool grocery/department store with arguably the best seafood section in town, with a fascinating tourist destination on its own, as well as a terrific little food court with something for everyone, from burgers to sushi to bubble tea to Hawaiian plate lunches and Chinese bakery buns?

Uwajimaya is a Seattle landmark - a pan-Asian grocery and department store with an amazing range of prepared and packaged foods, as well as a marvelous produce department (play "name that vegetable") and the above-mentioned seafood department to die for. Have lunch at the food court (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Hawaiian and a burger place) and buy some weird Japanese candy or snacks for the cruise or flight home. You won't be sorry you visited, promise.

How far are Ivar's and Elliott's from the Marriott Waterfront Hotel on Alaskan Way? Are they in a reasonable, defined as not too far, walking distance from the hotel?
Yes, around a 10 min. walk along the waterfront.

• 4 weeks later...
Since you have fish-haters and oyster-dislikers among your party I'll throw out some not-seafood-specific restos which do offer some good local seafood among other dinner options:

Local360 - Happy Hour, with $1 oysters (although if your kids are not 21+ this is no good to you as they can't sit in the bar), always mussels, something fishy, and a great locavore menu in general.

The first two are downtown, the last nearer Seattle Center.

thanks for the tip. just booked Local360. and just a few blocks from our hotel is a plus

I have always enjoyed Ivor's...I mean who among us that grew up the PNW can forget the "Keep Clam" commercials. The Anthony's restaurants are always a good bet but maybe a little more pricey then the OP was looking for.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the reply to every ? were so spirited and informative? You Seattle folk seem to be passionate about your seafood! I thank you -- I picked up a ton of good tips for my upcoming trip.