Who comes up with these policies?

It appears that NCL needs more sensible/big picture people in their "think tank". The backlash from social media may have contributed, but the underlying factor of "How do we physically enforce the no take-out policy?" seems to have been completely neglected.

It appears that NCL needs more sensible/big picture people in their "think tank". The backlash from social media may have contributed' date=' but the underlying factor of "How do we physically enforce the no take-out policy?" seems to have been completely neglected.[/quote']

Like bureaucrats everywhere, they were looking for the quick fix. As someone who was charged with enforcing these sorts of rules in my job as a librarian, I would agree that the rule was unenforceable. Every staff member has more important things to do than confronting people walking the corridors with plates of food. The reality was the bosses made the customers angry & I'm sure some not so nice conversations took place with guest services or other NCL employees. I'm also wondering if an increase in alcohol fueled messes with the UBP promo caused the perception of a problem. New bosses can look at any little problem as a reflection of them & want to micromanage from their office.

Most people probably would have been able to carry on as they always had. To use my library experience, the kid sitting quietly eating a candy bar probably won't attract my attention. The teen who ordered a pizza delivered to the computer 3 ft from my desk did get noticed, especially since it was an hour before dinner.:D

Edited by HarpHarp

I fully agree with fishin'--

For nearly 20 years I had a job with an agency whose decisions affected 300,000 people. Whenever we wanted to make a change, we talked about it, talked with others about it, discussed it again, then discussed it more. We went through a lot of "what ifs" and "how abouts".

Then, when we made the decision to change something, we set it to start at a future date, then communicated, communicated, communicated. We never, ever "knee jerked". And we never had a change backfire on us. Yes, sometimes we had negative press, but we communicated with the press, explained why we did what we did and how it was necessary. We usually ended up with turning the bad press into positive press.

There is zero reason why NCLH should make these "knee jerk" decisions. They have many highly trained people on the ships that can help explain the ramifications of these type of decisions before implementation.

I fully agree with fishin'--

There is zero reason why NCLH should make these "knee jerk" decisions. They have many highly trained people on the ships that can help explain the ramifications of these type of decisions before implementation.

The USAToday version of the process makes the reason very clear, Frank Del Rio said so, so his crew jumped without regard to the landing. That management style is troubling. They'll lose customers, valuable employees and perhaps blow a solid partnership or two as a result. Typically at FDR's level and tenure it is difficult to change style so more bumps are likely. If he has humility and a good whisperer there is a chance, but that would be an exception rather than a rule for those like him who have had success doing it their way for so long.

]Here is a link to the actual USA Today article, in which Andy Stuart explains exactly how the ban came about.

I should add that the walk through by FDR most like occurred in Miami on a turn-around day; he usually visits at least one of the company's ships every time they are in port.

Edited by hondorner

I should add that the walk through by FDR most like occurred in Miami on a turn-around day; he usually visits at least one of the company's ships every time they are in port.

If that is the case wouldn't he know that the ships can look a bit chaotic in the room areas during turn day and is not representative of what guests see during their vacation?

What next from this dynamic duo? They see housekeeping carts in the halls too much so they eliminate twice daily room cleaning for our convenience?

Who comes up with these policies?

Probably the same people who change perfectly working websites for no reason! But that's another pet peeve and a different discussion...

I do believe that it's a management style that's based on ego rather than methodical planning. Big changes often happen with new management, simply because they want to flex their power muscles and do things differently, just to show people who's in charge. It happens a lot, and rarely with good results.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

The USAToday version of the process makes the reason very clear, Frank Del Rio said so, so his crew jumped without regard to the landing. That management style is troubling. They'll lose customers, valuable employees and perhaps blow a solid partnership or two as a result. Typically at FDR's level and tenure it is difficult to change style so more bumps are likely. If he has humility and a good whisperer there is a chance, but that would be an exception rather than a rule for those like him who have had success doing it their way for so long.

"The bigger boys made me do it" was never an acceptable excuse at school - it certainly isn't acceptable in the world of business:D.

I'm so surprised that everybody got so excited about it. I've never even thought of bringing food to our stateroom?

I was explaining the idea of room service and tipping to my 7 year old, and how cool it is to have free room service (whoops!). The idea of ordering a hot dog and having it delivered to his room was amazing to him. Kids. They're easy to please. I told him you have to tip when someone delivers you food, just like you have to tip if someone else carries your bags and makes your bed. (...except at home... hmm...) He asked, what if I don't want to tip? I said, then you go get it yourself from one of the free restaurants.

When you have thousands of people in one confined location, they're all going to have different wants/needs. For us, convenience is the MAIN attraction to a cruise vacation. My husb & son have never cruised before and our upcoming trip is their first time. When the cruise line starts limiting the conveniences for us, it's a lot less appealing. In all reality, he's probably going to order a hot dog once for the novelty, and that's it. I don't want my room smelling like food, but I don't appreciate being told I CAN'T have food in it. I've never been told in a hotel on land that we cannot eat in the room. I don't expect a cruise to be any different.

I got sick on one cruise and my mom brought me crackers and bread when I was finally able to keep something down. It was all I'd eaten that day between barfings. Would have been a real slap in the face after picking up the noro to be told I have to take my noro germs to the buffet or pay $7.95 to eat that bread and crackers. We all have our reasons to want to be able to have food in our rooms.

I'm so surprised that everybody got so excited about it. I've never even thought of bringing food to our stateroom?

I don't either. But surely you realize the beauty of cruising, especially NCL, is the options we all have to customize our vacations. Obviously, many do care.

FDR made the change on a spur of the moment walk through. Guess he still thinks he is managing a small line which only has to fill 5000 or so berths a week. NCL must fill 40000 berths a week, very hard if you turn people off and you competition is the rest of the mass market lines.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

FDR made the change on a spur of the moment walk through. Guess he still thinks he is managing a small line which only has to fill 5000 or so berths a week. NCL must fill 40000 berths a week, very hard if you turn people off and you competition is the rest of the mass market lines.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

My original version of this thread mentioned this very mindset; the contrast between running a mainstream line with many ships marketted to the masses vs running a few ships targetted at the luxury market. It is apples and oranges. Hotel brands like Mariott and Hilton understand this, Carnival understands this, I'm not convinced that FDR/NCLH understand this. Meanwhile it appears to be trial by fire.

My original version of this thread mentioned this very mindset; the contrast between running a mainstream line with many ships marketted to the masses vs running a few ships targetted at the luxury market. It is apples and oranges.

Exactly! They also have MUCH better room service options on those luxury lines, which makes a big difference, IMHO. I'd have been less hacked by the "no food taken from the buffet" rule if there were more interesting options on the RS menu.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

Both Andy Stuart & FDR probably should take a lesson from former U.S. Joint Chief of Staff, Colin Powell and other business leaders in reading Sun Tze's "The Art of War" (translated into English, of course) about the dynamics of winning, whether it is the battlefields or the world of business.

It's just bad karma for the COO to be quoted in a press release/article/interview - the appearance of rattling off the boss off of "who dunit" - as others suggested, perhaps early signs of internal forces not in "harmony" - it made them both look ... like fools, laughs mixed with tears - rather sad, actually from a business standpoint. :o

More damage controls ahead. The media/PR department could use, IMO, another shakeup. Ultimately, the bucks stop here - " where ?? " Stuart might be calling off the shots in daily operations but does that leave FDR off the hook, not really in my scoring. Of course, the friends, supporters & insiders of this regime would strongly disagree, standby for another round of informational "exchanges" :rolleyes:

Edited by mking8288

Well said. With the horrible decisions he has made and by treating passengers as if they are children. I could not imagine what NCL employees are going through. I have talked to one NCL employee about this and it was very clear the customers are not the only ones not happy about this guy.

Edited by knight2096

The answer to your question of who comes up with these policies is self evident: egotistical bad executives with contempt for their customers and not a lick of common sense.

Now that is 100 percent true, You put that Perfectly.

For crying out loud ! Everyone whined and cried when they issued the new policy. NCL reversed their decision and went back to the original policy and STILL everyone is whining and crying about the decision making process @ NCL.............. WHO CARES !! .

If you didn't like it then take your business elsewhere, obviously those above who seem to be complaining the loudest are still going to cruise with NCL as they're still complaining! Don't read anyone saying they've had enough and are taking their cruise $ somewhere else.

No one anywhere is forcing you to cruise with this company or that company, YOU get to choose where to spend your cruise $. But for goodness sakes, do any of you actually read what you say here............... next time bring a Big Block of Cheese to go with your whine !!!!!!!

Life's to short to get you undies in a knot over the little stuff, sit back and enjoy the view around you- take it all in cuz it will be the last time you'll see it exactly like that.

cheers...the Ump...:D

For crying out loud ! Everyone whined and cried when they issued the new policy. NCL reversed their decision and went back to the original policy and STILL everyone is whining and crying about the decision making process @ NCL.............. WHO CARES !! .

If you didn't like it then take your business elsewhere, obviously those above who seem to be complaining the loudest are still going to cruise with NCL as they're still complaining! Don't read anyone saying they've had enough and are taking their cruise $ somewhere else.

No one anywhere is forcing you to cruise with this company or that company, YOU get to choose where to spend your cruise $. But for goodness sakes, do any of you actually read what you say here............... next time bring a Big Block of Cheese to go with your whine !!!!!!!

Life's to short to get you undies in a knot over the little stuff, sit back and enjoy the view around you- take it all in cuz it will be the last time you'll see it exactly like that.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Perhaps you should add a Gr to the beginning of your name. But to answer your question of "who cares?", those of us who have cruised for many more years with NCL than you have, have watched this wonderful cruise line go from an innovative customer centric entity to a company that has lost touch with its passenger base and has instituted a series of policies that negatively impact the cruise experience. I have not whined or stomped my feet in a temper tantrum, but have stated my opinions as to the poor executive decision process that has angered enough customers to reach this level of reaction. Maybe after another 10 years or so of sailing with NCL, you also will get disgusted as you watch the continued degradation of a once fine product.

Edited by Stillfloatin'

Ump

The point is the bigger picture - the changes are, in themselves, fairly minor. The over-riding issue is the manner in which they are instituted: (lack of communication to pax and staff; poor PR; no thought as to the collateral implications of these 'back-of-the-envelope' policy changes).

These issues, coupled with the apparent disrespect for passengers shown by one of the senior management team, leads some of us to think that we do not trust these people with our safety or our vacation money.

Who knows what other 'bright ideas' this person will come up with?

I for one, do not trust him not to screw about with a decent product.

What will change between me booking, paying and sailing?

If I do not trust a company to deliver what they advertise at the time I book, I will not do business with them. NCL is currently falling within my list of not trusted companies.