Change from RCCL to Another Cruise Line for Alaska?

handbellplayer

I am planning an Alaska cruise for 2016 (most likely southbound one-way). We are Diamond on Royal, and I initially assumed that would be our Alaska cruise line of choice, but it seems that others on these boards really like Princess and HAL for Alaska cruising. For example, RCCL doesn’t go to Glacier Bay.

But – with RCCL we get a sizable balcony discount ($225) and other perks (like three free drinks per day which is $30-35/pp a day with current prices). Should I ignore the RCCL perks and go with another cruise line? How do I convince my husband that it’s worth it?

Anyone out there who has changed cruise lines just for Alaska? Was it a good decision?

We switched from RCCL to Princess for our AK cruise next week. It was a hard call, but with Princess' rich history and experience in the area, we made the decision. Glacier Bay was important to me and since we live near SF we saved quite a bit on airfare. Hopefully we won't regret it.

I have sailed RCCL twice to Alaska (many years ago) and will do so again in two months, as a Diamond member, so I can only offer the perspective who has considered the same decision you are and stuck with RCCL.

Aside from Glacier Bay, I don't see any reason really to change cruise lines and Hubbard Glacier is very nice. Someday I'll probably do another line so that I can see Glacier Bay, but IF you have never been to Hubbard Glacier, I wouldn't be so quick to jump cruise lines. But, that's just my opinion.

There are many excellent reviews of RCCL in Alaska, especially Radiance Northbound/Southbound cruises, which is what you are considering. I think it is more important that you add some pre-cruise time in Alaska if possible to see Seward and do a Kenai Fjords excursion and, perhaps, Denali.

I am Diamond + on RCI, only have sailed them, 6 times in Alaska. But, coming from a different perspective, I have top priority on most cruiselines- except HAL. I have all the line in Alaska (major cruiselines) except Disney.

Do YOU want to go to Glacier Bay? Are those perks ranking higher than an itinerary- for YOU? Do YOU want the benefit of a ship naturalist? (RCI doesn't usually have one) Those are a few questions to ask yourself, perhaps, giving you more direction?

Bottom line- there is NO "perfect", must do cruise in Alaska. ALL will offer you a great trip- if it has the features that YOU want on your vacation.

A few pluses are Hoonah, and Seward- however- way too many "waste" their ,valuable Seward time. Or simply pass through without taking advantage of being all the way there. A significant loss in my opinion.

Glacier Bay is true "must" for Alaska.

The one way voyages on Princess should guarantee that you get this experience.

I have sailed on RCCi too many times-won't ever go back for a lot of reasons.

Libby Riddles, the first woman Iditarod champion has an exclusive contract to do an onboard lecture in Juneau with Princess and she also brings several of her dogs with her.

I just cannot stomach the noisy dining rooms on RCCi(music is WAY too loud for dinner) and the constant dancing and gyrating spectacle on RCCI ships in the MDR for dinner.

I don't think that RCCI goes to Glacier Bay at all.

No, I am not a fan of RCCI. I have moved on.

I was not impressed with RCCL in Alaska (on Radiance). They didn't do anything Alaska onboard. And by the way, this was my first cruise to Alaska and we missed Hubbard Glacier (huge disappointment, not RCCL's fault). But it was the only glacier on the cruise.

I went back the following year with a different line and really enjoyed the Naturalist onboard who spoke several times, having speakers come onboard such as Libby Riddles, etc... It was like night and day. I thought they did a much better job in Alaska.

I would look into another line IMO.

Edited by Coral

I'll stick with my loyalty D+ including comfort level and familiarity with RCI regardless of what itinerary...I tried PCL and didn't care for it at all...something just seemed "off". JMHO ;)

I typically only do rc but switched for alaska because of glacier bay. The last time we did a cruise in Alaska in the summer Royal Caribbean went into glacier Bay and I was so disappointed they didn't this time. It was definitely my favorite and it was worth switching lines for me- but its up to you and what you want to see!

I typically only do rc but switched for alaska because of glacier bay. The last time we did a cruise in Alaska in the summer Royal Caribbean went into glacier Bay and I was so disappointed they didn't this time. It was definitely my favorite and it was worth switching lines for me- but its up to you and what you want to see!

RCCL did not go into Glacier Bay in 2003. Could you have gone to Hubbard instead? They have not had permits for as long as I have followed Alaska and that was before 2003.

RCCL did not go into Glacier Bay in 2003. Could you have gone to Hubbard instead? They have not had permits for as long as I have followed Alaska and that was before 2003.

1998 was Royal Caribbean's last Glacier Bay cruising season.

After mediocre service and bad port locations on a Middeteranean cruise and a disastrous cruise to nowhere, that was supposed to go to Aruba & Curacao, only getting $150 credit for a next cruise (a slap in the face), while the next cruise passengers got 100% refunds plus a full week on the ship (Adventurer 2014), we will never cruise "Royal" again. We enjoy Celebrity a lot and hope our first cruise on Princess will be more like that.

they lost their permits in the 90's.

Take a look at Celebrity. We just came back from the first cruise to Alaska this season on Solstice and it was phenomenal. We are also Diamond on RCI and we were given reciprocal "Elite" status on Celebrity (after calling and signing up with Captain's Club), with an Elite event each evening, and a separate breakfast each morning and many other perks (free laundry, free Interent). Celebrity and Royal are more alike than different, I'd say, and while we didn't quite feel "at home", I think it was more of a fit than choosing a completely different line for whatever reason.

Thanks to all - still not sure what to do with responses all over the place - but I appreciate the input!

If you are looking at a Southbound one way - look at NCL or Princess. They both include Glacier Bay and one other glacier (either Hubbard or College Fiords). One, important to have Glacier Bay as it is pretty much guaranteed you will see a glacier. Secondly, glaciers are awesome and having a second day will definitely enhance your Alaskan trip!

Honestly, RCCL would probably be the last line I would consider for a future Alaskan trip due to not having a naturalist or onboard speakers about Alaska.

Edited by Coral

Glacier Bay is true "must" for Alaska.

The one way voyages on Princess should guarantee that you get this experience.

I have sailed on RCCi too many times-won't ever go back for a lot of reasons.

Libby Riddles, the first woman Iditarod champion has an exclusive contract to do an onboard lecture in Juneau with Princess and she also brings several of her dogs with her.

I just cannot stomach the noisy dining rooms on RCCi(music is WAY too loud for dinner) and the constant dancing and gyrating spectacle on RCCI ships in the MDR for dinner.

I don't think that RCCI goes to Glacier Bay at all.

No, I am not a fan of RCCI. I have moved on.

Do you have details about the on board lecture? Our port stop is rather short on the Star SB cruise and wonder if it will be available?

Do you have details about the on board lecture? Our port stop is rather short on the Star SB cruise and wonder if it will be available?

Libby Riddles comes onboard every Princess ship that is in Juneau. It is usually at the end of the day as she has to leave before the ship disembarks. Before she gets on the ship, she has been outside of the ship with her dogs sometimes.

Some CDs do a big write up about her and others mention it in a small space in the Princess Patter.

I have seen her several times and her presentation is great. It appeals those young and old - very universal. She also does book signings before and after (or at least one of them depending on time).

They often re-run her talk on TV the following day or two.

Her talk often interferes with ship excursions so not everyone gets to see her. IF you have a choice of morning or afternoon excursion, I would suggest morning and trying to make it back on the ship to see her. She is an impressive person and speaker.

Thanks to all - still not sure what to do with responses all over the place - but I appreciate the input!

As you can see, only you can make the decision that's best for you. I would definitely suggest the Northbound or Southbound route. Seward is a superb destination. The Kenai Fjords excursion is not to be missed and the Sea Life Center is also very nice.

The first time we booked Alaska I had a feeling we would want to return since we are lovers of scenery and wildlife so it didn't bother me to miss Glacier Bay since I figured we would be back. If you think you will return to Alaska, then your choice may be easier.

Libby Riddles comes onboard every Princess ship that is in Juneau. It is usually at the end of the day as she has to leave before the ship disembarks. Before she gets on the ship, she has been outside of the ship with her dogs sometimes.

Some CDs do a big write up about her and others mention it in a small space in the Princess Patter.

I have seen her several times and her presentation is great. It appeals those young and old - very universal. She also does book signings before and after (or at least one of them depending on time).

They often re-run her talk on TV the following day or two.

Her talk often interferes with ship excursions so not everyone gets to see her. IF you have a choice of morning or afternoon excursion, I would suggest morning and trying to make it back on the ship to see her. She is an impressive person and speaker.

Thank you!

This board is truly one of the most helpful on CC! Thanks again to everyone for your input. My husband told me over the weekend that he wants us to chose the best cruise and cruise line and not to consider our Diamond benefits as a factor. So I'm feeling a lot better about the process.

I hope this won't be our only trip to Alaska, but if it is, I want it to be as good as possible.

And I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on!

Anne