Seasickness in Alaska?

lauren0309

I get seasickness and on my other cruises in the Caribbean I took a Bonine every day of my cruise. We sailed in open waters from island to island and there was some rough seas at times. My question is, we are leaving from Seattle to go to Alaska at which time I plan on taking something for seasickness since we will be open waters, but once we get to the first port are the seas calmer from port to port since you are more inland (Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau). I was just wondering if it would still be necessary to stick with my seasick pills every day.

The waters between Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Hoonah are sheltered from the open ocean waves. So unless there is a storm going through, that part of the trip should be relatively calm.

Between Seattle and Ketchikan, you will be in open water most of the time, with the associated possibility of rough seas.

For people prone to seasickness, I would suggest considering a round trip cruise from Vancouver. You will be in sheltered waters most of the time.

Edited by Mercruiser

If you have the history- not sure why you would take any chances?? There are no guarantees and ANY conditions, you are on water and as far as I know- no one has the ability to predict the future. All the above reports on on hindsight.

But overall, you have chosen the roughest potential itinerary.

I am extremely prone to motion sickness, so I took Bonine on the night before the at-sea day on the way up to SE Alaska. I was sleepy until 3:00pm the next day. (I'm pretty sensitive to many meds.) I was pretty miserable from the sleepiness. On the way back I skipped the Bonine and was fine sea sickness wise and could stay awake all day!

If the weather is going to be good, I'd strongly consider going light on the seasick med, if I were you. You want to be awake to see the puffins and whales that hang out on the West Coast of Vancouver Island ;-). We saw 'em! ;-).

I get seasickness and on my other cruises in the Caribbean I took a Bonine every day of my cruise. We sailed in open waters from island to island and there was some rough seas at times. My question is, we are leaving from Seattle to go to Alaska at which time I plan on taking something for seasickness since we will be open waters, but once we get to the first port are the seas calmer from port to port since you are more inland (Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau). I was just wondering if it would still be necessary to stick with my seasick pills every day.

If Bonine is well tolerated, it certainly won't hurt you to take it for the entire trip. Better safe than sorry.

Keep in mind that many shore excursions involve being in small boats, so that is another reason to continue the meds for the entire trip.

Edited by zqvol

I have found it extremely helpful to take Bonine 2-3 days prior to cruising just to get it in my system. That, along with my queasy beads, and ginger tummy drops, if needed, are a must for me. Alaska cruise will be a first for me, but I'd much rather be safe than sorry knowing my history of being ill on Alaska small boats when we did a land- based trip several summers back. All other types of cruises- Caribbean, Med, etc-I've needed them. I don't see why this would be different. I'd use my best judgment, but IMO if you are prone, you are prone.

Medical advice needs to come from your health care provider. ALL meds have potential side effects. Medical histories are important. There are alternative dosing and administration time options that could be determined- again, 1-1 with your health care provider.

• 2 weeks later...

I have known people who ginger capsules work for and Dudette wears sea bands which I really don't understand. But likely anything much stronger then that really should be discussed with a person's health care professional.

Edited by Putterdude

Last week we had a little motion our first sea day on the way up to Juneau. On the way back down it was much worse. Just after leaving Ketchikan almost all the way to Victoria it was pretty rough.

I thought the stabilizers weren't deployed as there was lots of rolling now and then. There was no motion at all between as we were usually moving slowly and in protected waters.

Last week we had a little motion our first sea day on the way up to Juneau. On the way back down it was much worse. Just after leaving Ketchikan almost all the way to Victoria it was pretty rough.

I thought the stabilizers might not have been deployed as there was lots of rolling now and then. The pool water was a good indication, moving back and forth over the sides. There was no motion at all between ports as we were usually moving slowly and in protected waters.

Edited by WNcruiser