Crib space on oasis of the seas?

So we have an oceanview stateroom on Oasis of the Seas. We also have a 20 month old who will need a crib for the trip. I'm wondering where the crib goes. The picture of the room doesn't really show any space for a crib. Plus how do we not wake him up at night if we need to turn on the lights?

I read one interesting idea where someone set a shower curtain to go around their childs crib. Quite a bit of work,but maybe possible with sticky hooks on the wall.

Anyone have any cleaver ideas? We also thought about turning the couch around so it's facing the wall and having him sleep there. Not sure if it's bolted to the floor. Thoughts?

So we have an oceanview stateroom on Oasis of the Seas. We also have a 20 month old who will need a crib for the trip. I'm wondering where the crib goes. The picture of the room doesn't really show any space for a crib. Plus how do we not wake him up at night if we need to turn on the lights?

I read one interesting idea where someone set a shower curtain to go around their childs crib. Quite a bit of work,but maybe possible with sticky hooks on the wall.

Anyone have any cleaver ideas? We also thought about turning the couch around so it's facing the wall and having him sleep there. Not sure if it's bolted to the floor. Thoughts?

The crib will go in front of the sofa or you could have the sofa turned towards the wall as you suggested. That is what a lot of people who post to the family forum have done in the past. As far as the shower curtain idea, use hooks with magnets since the sticky hooks can pull off paint from the walls or ceiling. The walls and ceiling are metal so the hooks work well. Look for a review from smileperry or something close to that, she might be the one you already saw who set it us for her son.

The crib will go in front of the sofa or you could have the sofa turned towards the wall as you suggested. That is what a lot of people who post to the family forum have done in the past. As far as the shower curtain idea, use hooks with magnets since the sticky hooks can pull off paint from the walls or ceiling. The walls and ceiling are metal so the hooks work well. Look for a review from smileperry or something close to that, she might be the one you already saw who set it us for her son.

Thanks for the advice. I just found out he is over the height and weight maximum to use the on board crib. So we can't even use it. I'm trying to find out what other options we have with the RC customer service.

Thanks for the advice. I just found out he is over the height and weight maximum to use the on board crib. So we can't even use it. I'm trying to find out what other options we have with the RC customer service.

Are you staying in a cabin for 2 or 3? I know sometimes they allow you to book a cabin for 2 if you are travelling with a child under 2.

If it is a cabin for 3, if you tell us the cabin number we can see if it has a pullman or a sofabed. If it is a sofabed, you can create bumpers to keep him in the middle of the bed.

If RCI customer service doesn't help...

Try to do a search within the Cruise Critic- "Specialty Cruising" Sub-forum link: "Family Cruising" which is on the main forum page just below "Member Cruise Reviews".

I did a very quick search "crib alternatives", traveling with infant/toddler and a few threads came up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I hope you get some good ideas and enjoy your family cruise!

Brig

height and weight max for a crib? uh oh. whats this info. We will be going with our then 2.5 yo. They didn't say anything when they booked us and noted we needed a crib.

crib is NOT the correct term. it is a Pack n Play, which have lower maximum height and weight limits. if you cannot find the restrictions on the crusieline's website, just look up the specs on Amazon or Babies r Us. most brands will have similar restrictions.

I know that by 2, myself, all my siblings and now the next generation were all OUT of cribs and into toddler beds. we never would have fit ( or stayed) in a crib, let alone a PnP.

Brilliant idea !!!! don't take your 20 month old child on a cruise. wait until he/she is about 16/18 ish ???

crib is NOT the correct term. it is a Pack n Play, which have lower maximum height and weight limits. if you cannot find the restrictions on the crusieline's website, just look up the specs on Amazon or Babies r Us. most brands will have similar restrictions.

I know that by 2, myself, all my siblings and now the next generation were all OUT of cribs and into toddler beds. we never would have fit ( or stayed) in a crib, let alone a PnP.

Absolutely !! A crib is what those rapper type chaps have on MTV !!!

Brilliant idea !!!! don't take your 20 month old child on a cruise. wait until he/she is about 16/18 ish ???

First off, it is not a family vacation if you leave your children at home. If they want to take their 20 month old why shouldn't they? I am sure that they will end up having great memories of the little one running around the splash area or meeting Shrek and Fiona for the first time. I dont see why anyone would think this thread is a joke.

Where did you find the weight/height restrictions for the crib? Would you know that these restrictions are?

The following is from the Royal Caribbean website:

"Royal Caribbean provides Play Yard's for use onboard. Play Yard's are similar to a playpen. Cribs are no longer provided.

Play Yard's specifics:

For use by children unable to climb out, less than 24" tall, and less than 30 lbs. Mesh on four sides Sets up in less than one minute Strong and stable, yet lightweight Approx. dimensions 28"W x 38 7/8"L x 31-1/4"H Mattress/pad is 1" thick Sheets are provided Folds for storage and includes carrying bag with handle

Play Yard's should be reserved in advance so that we are sure we have enough onboard.

Please Note: Only one Play Yard per stateroom can be reserved in advance. Requests for additional units must be made onboard."

If you ask me these restrictions are pretty insane. I know our newborn was about 21" when she was born. She was over the 24" before she could even crawl.

We are bringing our daughter on the Allure and she will be the same age as your's will be. We plan to take our pack and play with us. We do have one that is really easy to set up. It is the 4 Mom's Breeze Play Yard. It only takes like 30 seconds to setup or break down and we plan to only have it open when she is using it at night. We also considered to do the couch thing and we are still debating if that is the route we will go.

I forgot to mention that have seen some neat tips on here and one was to bring one of those tap light things you might put in a closet or under the cabinets in your kitchen. If you have one of those you dont need to worry about turing the cabin lights on when getting up to go to the bathroom. Just leave that light on in the bathroom at night and you will have enough light to get there without being too bring in the room itself.

I forgot to mention that have seen some neat tips on here and one was to bring one of those tap light things you might put in a closet or under the cabinets in your kitchen. If you have one of those you dont need to worry about turing the cabin lights on when getting up to go to the bathroom. Just leave that light on in the bathroom at night and you will have enough light to get there without being too bring in the room itself.

Ah yes ....... I have the fondest memories of pig headed parents bringing screaming kids into the MDR and wind jammer while eating ....... what lovely memories I have indeed :)

good old shrek, fiona and the entire cast of Madagascar !

that probably in fact scar a child for life at 20 months having a 6'5 hippo looking in their pram !

Ah yes ....... I have the fondest memories of pig headed parents bringing screaming kids into the MDR and wind jammer while eating ....... what lovely memories I have indeed :)

that probably in fact scar a child for life at 20 months having a 6'5 hippo looking in their pram !

Haha. Ok I'll bite. I cannot believe the nerve people have. Why can't they just leave them locked in their crate with a large bowl of food and a jug of water for the week.

While I do respect others and I will try to ensure that my todder is as well behaved as possible, why should I really care that your dinner got interupted for 5 minutes while my kid had a meltdown and I try to get her out of the MDR? Who do you think that is worse for, me or you? While I am aware that others don't want their dinners interrupted at all I am not about to leave my daughter at home. We are paying just as much, if not more than others since we pay full fare for her to come as well. I will hope for the best, but we have a backup plan in the event that she does have a meltdown and that is to have one of us ready to leave the MDR if it happens.

I do however agree with your assessment on a 20 month old meeting a 6'5" hippo. But hey after that little twerp made a scene and embarassed me in the MDR because I wouldnt let her have a third piece of bread, but more imortantly completely ruined your meal and probably your entire trip because you heard a toddler cry. wouldn't it will bring absolute joy to you and me to get a little payback. Plus it will look great in the family album that I bring out to show the boyfriend even later in her life.

Its the little things in life. :D

Maybe you should cruise a non family line like HAL.. Probably more your speed with the wheelchairs and all... Unless of course you have some sick fetish involving 6'5'' hippos or you have a crush on Fiona. RC IS a family line like it or not. What's worse a child having a meltdown for 5 minutes or an adult acting like a child all of their lives? I have no doubt you would enjoy the belly flop contest on HAL as a pool is not required as you see them happening all over the ship at any moment with people tripping over the oxygen tanks and wheelchairs! Cheers mate!

Edited by CaribSailor

Haha. Ok I'll bite. I cannot believe the nerve people have. Why can't they just leave them locked in their crate with a large bowl of food and a jug of water for the week.

While I do respect others and I will try to ensure that my todder is as well behaved as possible, why should I really care that your dinner got interupted for 5 minutes while my kid had a meltdown and I try to get her out of the MDR? Who do you think that is worse for, me or you? While I am aware that others don't want their dinners interrupted at all I am not about to leave my daughter at home. We are paying just as much, if not more than others since we pay full fare for her to come as well. I will hope for the best, but we have a backup plan in the event that she does have a meltdown and that is to have one of us ready to leave the MDR if it happens.

I do however agree with your assessment on a 20 month old meeting a 6'5" hippo. But hey after that little twerp made a scene and embarassed me in the MDR because I wouldnt let her have a third piece of bread, but more imortantly completely ruined your meal and probably your entire trip because you heard a toddler cry. wouldn't it will bring absolute joy to you and me to get a little payback. Plus it will look great in the family album that I bring out to show the boyfriend even later in her life.

Its the little things in life. :D

I was only pulling your leg actually.

I hope you have a lovely cruise but for Christ's sake keep Gloria the hippo away.

It's okay, we've all taken kids on cruises.

Enjoy yourself :)

Stitch ...... (on a wind up......couldn't help myself)

bon voyage

F

If you ask me these restrictions are pretty insane. I know our newborn was about 21" when she was born. She was over the 24" before she could even crawl.

Until you are babysitting your little sister who manages to tip it over at the age of ten months and split her lip( not to mention cracking one corner so badly it had to be put out of its' misery, good thing Mom was done having kids by then)

Blood everywhere. that ARC babysitting class does NOT prepare you sufficiently.

I was only pulling your leg actually.

I hope you have a lovely cruise but for Christ's sake keep Gloria the hippo away.

It's okay, we've all taken kids on cruises.

Enjoy yourself :)

Stitch ...... (on a wind up......couldn't help myself)

bon voyage

Its all good Stichman. I was trying to have some fun with ya too. You never can be too surprised with some of the things that come up on here. I'm sure we will have a blast.

I can't make any promises about Gloria tho. Honestly if that kid does something to torture me I am not afraid of getting a little revenge. ;)

Until you are babysitting your little sister who manages to tip it over at the age of ten months and split her lip( not to mention cracking one corner so badly it had to be put out of its' misery, good thing Mom was done having kids by then)

Blood everywhere. that ARC babysitting class does NOT prepare you sufficiently.

Wow. Yeah I can only imagine how that scene must have looked. My daughter got a small slice on her finger and it looked like we murdered 5 people in our bathroom. I dont know how it made that much of a mess but it did. Wasnt even that much volume it was just everywhere.

Guess companies are always better safe than sorry and limit it to such a short height. Mybe I will do the sofa thing instead.