Joining ship at a later port?

benjoon

My husband has just booked a cruise for us. Unfortunately it leaves 2 days before my daughter leaves on a school trip to Europe. The ship leaves Sydney and its last stop in Australia is Darwin before heading into Asia. Has anyone had experience in doing this?

I don't mind paying for the section that I don't use as my DH and Father in-law will leave from Sydney.

I would just fly to Darwin and meet the ship there.

I haven't talked to Princess yet as he has only just booked.

When people miss the ship because of a flight delay they catch up at the next port. It seems to me this is the same sort of thing and I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Of course, that is up to Princess to decide.

My husband has just booked a cruise for us. Unfortunately it leaves 2 days before my daughter leaves on a school trip to Europe. The ship leaves Sydney and its last stop in Australia is Darwin before heading into Asia. Has anyone had experience in doing this?

I don't mind paying for the section that I don't use as my DH and Father in-law will leave from Sydney.

I would just fly to Darwin and meet the ship there.

I haven't talked to Princess yet as he has only just booked.

you need to ring and clear with it with princess as you will need to pass immigration at the point that you board the ship, if it is Darwin that you board it should not be a problem... if Darwin is the last port before it leaves Australia then TRS officials should be there so possible they would handle any immigration...

As noted, you definitely need to call Princess for pre-approval. It should be ok from a paperwork standpoint, because technically you are just 'late for departure' but will make it much easier on them if they know you are coming and can handle things like Muster Drill, etc

The bigger issue is to have a plan B in case the ship cannot make Darwin, which as I understand is not uncommon.

I agree, as others have said, to call Princess. In my personal experience, my DH was one of about 20 people who missed the initial ship embarkation in Civitavecchia, (near Rome) Italy. They were able to board the next day in Naples, Italy. A special lifeboat drill was held just for those that had "missed the boat".;)

Thanks for all the advice. Once we have my daughters flight details we can work out if I can make it to Brisbane instead. Then I always have Darwin as a backup.

Will call Princess on Monday.

Just an update. I rang Princess and it should be possible to join the ship in Darwin. There would be no reduction in cost but we would be prepared for that. We are taking my FIL so the cost would be spread over the 3 of us anyway.

I have to send in a request to Princess for them to process once we get our confirmation invoice. They said within a week we should know if they will except the request. If not I'm sure my FIL and the rest of us SIL & 2 other friends will have a great even without DH.

Just an update. I rang Princess and it should be possible to join the ship in Darwin. There would be no reduction in cost but we would be prepared for that. We are taking my FIL so the cost would be spread over the 3 of us anyway.

I have to send in a request to Princess for them to process once we get our confirmation invoice. They said within a week we should know if they will except the request. If not I'm sure my FIL and the rest of us SIL & 2 other friends will have a great even without DH.

Glad you can do that. They don't usually discount arriving late for a cruise or leaving early. ;)