Sony A6000

c230k

One thing that would be nice to see here is what extras have yall bought for your system, extra lens and body caps for me since the kit didn't provide them. I thought I read that Dave and Justin uses the Spider camera mount to carry their A6000's. Do we need a cover for the flash socket Ect....

John

I have decided to change the way I carry a camera (A6000 and Nex-7). So i gave this Spider Camera Holster Black Widow Holster a try and love it. Easy to carry my camera and get to quickly, without using a strap. Here is info from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...w_Holster.html

Also makes it easier for me top carry a small camera bag also, when needed.

Tom :cool:

One thing that would be nice to see here is what extras have yall bought for your system, extra lens and body caps for me since the kit didn't provide them. I thought I read that Dave and Justin uses the Spider camera mount to carry their A6000's. Do we need a cover for the flash socket Ect....

John

I use a BlackRapid Metro compact crossbody strap. and both bodies have tripod lugs so it's easy to swap. Both bodies also have ProStraps on one of the camera strap rings to keep my propensity for dropping expensive things to a minimum.

Other bits:

- A flash shoe cover to keep rain and other random liquid from soaking the contacts.

- A PacSafe bag for Disneyland days and shore excursions. Small and can be worn as a fanny pack or cross-body bag with the strap extension. It holds the second body with the 55-210 mounted and a couple of lenses with room in the front pocket for batteries, cards and other small daily use stuff.

- Giottos mini tripod with a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L47AHG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage. Great for an anytime tripod, low angle shots and will fit in a backpack or even a jacket pocket.

- A heavy-duty selfie stick. Not a fan of the selfie, but it works like a charm to change perspective or get up over a crowd. Set the second timer and point it using the tilted LCD for framing. (or the smart remote).

- Cap Keepers on all my lenses. Can be a pain on wide lenses since you usually have to hold them out of the way but that is a small price compared to replacing lens caps regularly.

I have also picked up a few apps for the A6000. The time lapse app works well as an intervalometer and the smart remote is very handy.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Good morning

Was up early this morning and found a GREAT deal on the Sony A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Camera. Would you believe $199.00 regular $2199.00 from the Sony Store on the internet.

Think will try it out and then sell and take my profit, do not want to have to buy all new lenses.

Alas, we are three-hours behind Calif time and might have missed it. Did you get it?

Aloha,

Tom

Alas, we are three-hours behind Calif time and might have missed it. Did you get it?

Aloha,

Tom

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/05/31/sony-accidentally-set-the-price-of-its-a7r-camera-to-200-90-off-retail

Nobody is getting them.

Loving the thread so far! I'm another happy A6000 owner that moved over from the Canon DSLR world last summer.

Cap Keepers on all my lenses. Can be a pain on wide lenses since you usually have to hold them out of the way but that is a small price compared to replacing lens caps regularly.
If one finds their images blurry.... get rid of the cap keeper... especially on zoom lenses. A pendulum swinging lens cap forces you to a higher shutter speed.

I used to believe in cap keeper... not anymore. Lens cap goes into my pocket and I have a palm blower to clean the cap occassionally.

Edited by xlxo

If one finds their images blurry.... get rid of the cap keeper... especially on zoom lenses. A pendulum swinging lens cap forces you to a higher shutter speed.

I used to believe in cap keeper... not anymore. Lens cap goes into my pocket and I have a palm blower to clean the cap occassionally.

When the wind is blowing, I can either flip the cap on its cord up over the body to immobilize it or just pull it off. I have also gotten into the habit of hooking my finger over the string to keep it out of the way.

In most cases, the mass of the lightly swinging cap won't affect a hand-held camera with a stabilized lens anywhere near as much as the hands of the shooter. :) Especially true for a mirrorless camera where the caps seldom exceed 62mm.

The minute chance of additional blur in a typical shot is far outweighed by the cap-keeper's convenience IMHO. And again I mention that it is easily removed and replaced in the rare exception that it could introduce unwanted camera movement.

Dave

I thought I read that Dave and Justin uses the Spider camera mount to carry their A6000's. Do we need a cover for the flash socket Ect....John

Your recall is correct - I have the Spyder Black Widow holster carrier that I use on occasion with my A6000, when I'm bringing it along as a second camera so it's easy to access.

I have a lot of camera bags...I mean a lot! I think I'm up to 8?! Many different sized bags for all different combinations of lenses and camera bodies, from tiny enough for one camera & lens to big enough for 2 cameras and up to 15 lenses.

I have decided to change the way I carry a camera (A6000 and Nex-7). So i gave this Spider Camera Holster Black Widow Holster a try and love it. Easy to carry my camera and get to quickly, without using a strap. Here is info from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...w_Holster.html

Also makes it easier for me top carry a small camera bag also, when needed.

I looked at this one and also the Peak Design version. I bought both. The reason is that the Spider is better when you carry it on your belt but you can not attach the Spider clip to the strap of a backpack. When I want to attach it to the backpack, I use the Peak Design clip.

DON

The other day, I took delivery of my new Sony SEL 18-200mm lens (for my almost as new a6000). I had just come home from trying it out (I love it), and was heading back out on an errand. But when I opened my front door, there was a little chipmunk outside. My a6000 with the 18-200 lens still attached was nearby. I grabbed it, by which time the chipmunk was running around under a bush. Having no time at all, I quickly shot some images at 200mm at whatever the camera had been set at (and through a glass storm door).

So this is the "accidental chipmunk." I post it here only to show what this lens can do at full zoom with zero time to compose the shot or adjust any settings; I was very impressed with the autofocus and the sharpness (considering that this is an 18-200 lens). I am enjoying the a6000 more and more, the more I use it. :)

Chipmunk_zps3zvsvruf.jpg

I happened to stumble across this while I was looking for something else; it's a helpful explanation of the a6000 autofocus system and settings.

http://1000wordpics.blogspot.com/2014/11/sony-a6000-autofocus-guide.html

Wow, thank you!

I have an a6000 and am just scratching the surface of its capabilities, and this article gave me some fantastic insights. Thanks for sharing!

This is a repost of a former picture of the week to illustrate the possibilities inherent in the A6000.

After a lot of research I bought the manual focus Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 wide angle. One of the reasons was the reports that it was very sharp wide open and below is proof that indeed it is. It is also a testimony to the A6000's high ISO sensitivity.

Manual focusing in virtually no light was easy using focus magnification and peaking to show when the stars were sharpest.

10s - f/2.0 - ISO6400

p968451891-5.jpg

The gist of this tip is that adding an inexpensive manual focus lens or two is a great way to expand your creativity with an excellent photographic tool like the A6000.

Dave

This is a repost of a former picture of the week to illustrate the possibilities inherent in the A6000.

After a lot of research I bought the manual focus Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 wide angle. One of the reasons was the reports that it was very sharp wide open and below is proof that indeed it is. It is also a testimony to the A6000's high ISO sensitivity.

Manual focusing in virtually no light was easy using focus magnification and peaking to show when the stars were sharpest.

10s - f/2.0 - ISO6400

p968451891-5.jpg

The gist of this tip is that adding an inexpensive manual focus lens or two is a great way to expand your creativity with an excellent photographic tool like the A6000.

Dave

This is a fantastic shot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dave, that is a gorgeous photo. And would that I were anywhere with a night sky like that! :)

Too much light pollution!!!

I had to visit the sister-in-law's house out at Parker, AZ to get this shot. Living near the LA metro area makes the sky a stranger. :(

Dave

Got to go to Hawaii Island (or Molokai) to see the stars - too much light pollution in Honolulu!

Incidentally, is this Sony's answer to Panasonic's "Leica" upgrade?

Hasselblad Lunar Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Brown Tuscan Leather) Leather looks classy - the control knobs, not so much!

Question, my wife just told me she is taking me on a tour of Antelope canyon Az and I know it will be very dusty due to the high traffic, Should I make a dust cover with a gallon Ziplok or find a small rainsleeve. I think of just carrying the kit 16-50 since I do not want to trade lens, or should lug the A57 with Tammy 7-300 as a second?

John

Question, my wife just told me she is taking me on a tour of Antelope canyon Az and I know it will be very dusty due to the high traffic, Should I make a dust cover with a gallon Ziplok or find a small rainsleeve. I think of just carrying the kit 16-50 since I do not want to trade lens, or should lug the A57 with Tammy 7-300 as a second?

John

Poke aroung in the forums and see just how dusty it gets. If you have a fixed wide, I would suggest that rather than the zoom for really dusty conditions. Extending the zoom can suck dust into the lens and body. A rain sleeve wouldn't work to prevent that on the 16-50.

If you don't have a fixed wide, I would recommend the Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN as an excellent moderately fasy/wide zoom. At $199 from Amazon, it is a great addition to your E-mount bag and performs way above its price range, IMHO.

Oh, and darn you for getting there before me! I have a hell of a time getting my wonderful wife to ok a trip that doesn't include a cruise ship.

Dave