Shipping Luggage US to Athens

rlkubi

We are going on a cruise next year and before will spend a week in Poland. We will need clothes for cooler temps in Poland and hotter and dressier for the cruise in Greece, etc. I was thinking of shipping one 50 pound luggage to our hotel in Greece but I'm seeing $300 which is too much. I know EasyJet, etc has weight limits so trying to figure this out.

Any insights from some of you pros?

Thanks

It has long been a problem for those of us who do extensive land trips coupled with cruises. In more then forty years of extensive travel we have yet to find a reasonably priced solution. There are some companies (you can find them on the internet) that will handle shipping to a cruise ship or hotel, but the cost of a single piece of luggage (up to about 50 pounds) is usually in the price range the OP discovered.

Hank

Packing light is the key. You really need way less than you think. A water/wind proof jacket and fleece for the cool weather and a long skirt and several tops for the warm weather. No one will notice you wear the same dressy sandals each evening (and if they do notice, who cares?)

Now if you can help me pack for a six week trip including the heat of Buenos Aires and the cold of Ushuaia and Antarctica and long bus rides interspersed with hikes through Patagonia, I'm open to suggestions!

Is there a reasonable rate to ship just cosmetics, (hairspray, etc)? We're wanting to take just carry-ons, but I'm having a hard time getting enough of my necessities packed in 2 little bags.

Buy what you need when you arrive.they have good stores and good products even if not the name brands you have here...unless you need certain items.

I was thinking of shipping one 50 pound luggage to our hotel in Greece but I'm seeing $300 which is too much. I know EasyJet, etc has weight limits so trying to figure this out.

Any insights from some of you pros?

Yes. Pack less, and do laundry! Also coordinate everything you pack. Tops should go with most if not all of your bottoms. Plan everything around 1 or 2 neutral colors. Layer items for cooler weather. Limit your shoes. Forget about "just in case" stuff. You are going to a civilized part of the world and can buy anything you suddenly need in a local store.

Poland

Even though it will be cooler than the Med, it isn't going to be 40 degrees. I'd take a pair of jeans, a pair of capris and a pair of walking shorts. Take 3 or 4 sleeveless or short sleeved tops and maybe one long sleeved top that you can layer under other things. If you don't get overly sweaty (you shouldn't if the temps are cooler) you can wear them more than once and/or wash them in the sink. Add a sweater or lightweight fleece and an all weather windbreaker and a pair of comfortable walking shoes. Add socks/undies and you're done.

Cruise

On boarding day, immediately send out anything you need to have laundered. Those same tops, capris and shorts from Poland can be laundered and worn in port for sightseeing. Add a pair of comfortable walking sandals if you want something different from the other walking shoes for day time sightseeing. Add a pair of nice black (or other neutral) pants and a black skirt for evenings. I'd suggest jersey knit that doesn't wrinkle and can be dressed up. Add 3 or 4 dressier tops and wear each top once with pants and once with the skirt for evenings. Pack one pair of dressier sandals that can go with both the pants and the skirt. Throw in a bathing suit, and if you like, you'll probably have room for another pair of shorts/capris or another top or two, especially if you choose your traveling/plane outfit(s) out of things you were already going to pack anyway.

The only reasonable shipping method I found was United States Postal Service Ground and it took almost 3 months to get to Greece. I sent a 40 lb box to friends. All of the shipping companies wanted close to $300 for the box. Ground actually refers to being on a ship for the crossing instead of air.

I had planned to fly to Paris then take the train to Rome, but the timing didn't work out, so ended up with a last minute flight from Paris to Rome/Venice back to Paris. But they considered our flight from Los Angeles to Paris as International with 2 bags at 50 lbs allowed. The flight from Paris to Rome was considered Domestic with 1 bag at 44 lbs allowed. So we had 25" suitcases at 44 lbs for the entire trip. It was really tight coming home with things we had purchased along the way. We left some clothing items in the hotels on land, and ditched all the paperwork for the various sights and travel guides.

Just do as others have stated, pack light mix n match items. For our 21 day trip I mixed tops with different pants and rewore them with another pair of pants. Nobody is paying attention to what you wear. We did a load of laundry when we boarded the ship.

Have a great trip!

I agree with waterbug123 except I would not recommend jeans. They take up too much space and if you hand wash they take too long to dry. Travel pants or lightweight chinos are a better bet.

Valid points, but in cooler climates I like to have a pair of jeans. They can always be worn on the plane, and jeans can usually wait and be professionally laundered, i.e. tumble dried, not hung to dry. To each his own; the OP can decide what she prefers to do. :)