L shaped cabins wrapping public stairwells

Fogfog

Has anyone had a noise issue with the cabins that wrap the stairwells...

We are looking at cabins on the Sunshine and I wonder if we will hear noise from that stairwell space into the cabin

We are looking at cabins on the Sunshine and I wonder if we will hear noise from that stairwell space into the cabin

We stayed in one on both the Splendor and the Conquest and there was no noise issues for us. Sorry I do not experience on that class of ship.

We had one on the Liberty, 7434 to be exact. I never heard any noise coming from the stairs or the hallway for that matter. It was a very quiet location and we were really happy with it.

Goood to know

On the plans it looks like the stairwells are public - not staff - yet I wasn't sure because its not near an elevator...

A staff door might be slammed..

whereas a public stairwell will be used at all hours

On the plans it looks like the stairwells are public - not staff - yet I wasn't sure because its not near an elevator...

A staff door might be slammed..

whereas a public stairwell will be used at all hours

We've had the bowling alley balconies a couple of times for our sons (we booked the adjoining aft wrap - awesome balcony when you open the divider:cool:) and they never had any noise issues. We have the bowling alley booked on Breeze in July. The only time I've seen public use of that stairwell is during the muster drill - and it's really convenient for those of us booked aft!

Interested in responses to your question..... We are booked on Dream 8/9 in that type of cabin..... I am looking forward to the bowling alley balcony if not the noise from the lounge below!

We love these rooms, and try to get them whenever we can.

While we were concerned about the stairwell noise, we decided to try one. Im so glad we did, as we have never heard any noise from the stairwells on any of the cruises where we had these rooms.

Our Dream cruise was in 7455, and we loved it. It didn't have a sofa, but we never have used one in any of our rooms anyway, and we like the way the bed faces the windows instead of the standard layout where the bed is parallel to the wall with the balcony door and windows (at least that was the layout of all of them we have been in).

If you are on deck 6, I can understand your concern about the lounge. Our kids (4 rooms of them and their respective spouses/SO's/friends) were in interiors across from the "Bowling Alley Balcony" rooms on deck 6 and I asked about the noise from below. They all said they were never bothered by any noise from the lounge. Although you may want to take into account that I accepted their response with the knowledge that they may well have been in the lounge contributing to the noise, but I did ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I may add that in those cabins the bathroom is the part of the cabin that shares the wall with the staircase, so even if there was some noise in the stairwell, I'm not sure if you would hear it. Especially with the bathroom door shut to your cabin. I would think someone would have to be pretty loud and really clomping down the stairs to bother you in your cabin..But again, that's just my guess.

We have also had these L-shaped cabins numerous times on different ships- always on deck 7 - except for our last Splendor cruise, when we were on deck 8. We heard the scrapping of chairs on Lido early morning when they were setting up the loungers and at night when they were putting them away. If you are a light sleeper (we are) it might bother you a bit. We booked late and that was the only L they had left. Have never heard any noise from the staircase on any ship.

I'm not sure if this will help or not. We had cabin 6450 on the Liberty on our Western itinerary. It's the L-shaped cabin in the Aft on the port side. We never heard any noise from the stairwell, since it's only used by staff and not passengers. However, it is located directly above the lounge, and on karaoke nights, I could always hear people singing. The drunker they got, the louder (but not better) they got. If you opt for one of the L-shaped cabins, I would strongly recommend getting one on the Empress deck, so that you have cabins below and above. It will be much quieter.

We were on the Liberty cabin 8449. Not a wrap cabin but under the pool and right by an employee stairwell. The pool noise not to bad but we kept hearing the doors open and close all different times of day and into late night. Finally one day while by the pool I saw a employee coming out of the stairwell. I asked what they used that stairwell for and she sheepishly said that was where they could go to smoke cigarettes, not sure if they used the stairwell or went to an outer deck. It was really annoying but probably still would get that cabin again.The room was large and the longer balcony really nice.

I am interested in any input (or pictures) about the L shaped cabins. We have #8462 on the Magic booked for Feb. This will be our 1st. L shaped balcony.

Pictures of the "L" shape room on the Conquest

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153305093048151&set=a.10152725068358151.1073741831.500473150&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153305093053151&set=a.10152725068358151.1073741831.500473150&type=3&theater

Edited by ncovert

We stayed in one on the Breeze. On there it is a crew stairwell and we never heard any news. The trade off for us is there was not a couch in the room, but the bed faces the window so you can wake up and see the water. The balcony was huge and had a chaise lounge in addition to two chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pictures.

Doug

You are welcome. If you click on the "going to the Conquest" YouTube in my signature and fast forward to around the 4:18 mark you can see a video of the balcony.

Happy sailing