Thoughts of Royal Princess please

Jo and Rob

There was no soft romantic music live band to slow dance to.

All they had was a lounge with videos of music bands. How awful was that?

I can turn on MTV at home and see the same thing. Not my favorite ship!

Really? Seemed they always had a live band playing in the atrium during our cruise. I saw many couples dancing every night as we walked to/from the MDR.

Really? Seemed they always had a live band playing in the atrium during our cruise. I saw many couples dancing every night as we walked to/from the MDR.

My husband and I love to dance and too frequently IMHO the band in the Piazza was playing music most people do not know how to dance to - tango, rhumba, etc. I would love to see some good old fashioned dance music (slow and fast). The kind like they play at weddings to pack the dance floor. Most nights, it was the same 6-8 couples, who were outstanding ballroom dancers, but one night they played some "regular" music and it was packed.

The Royal was our least favorite ship. The design is odd. You do not know where you are until you are there. You can't see all the shops all around the deck from looking above. The sanctuary is in the wrong area. Oh yes you must insert your room card in your stateroom and leave it inserted. Otherwise you have no lights to use. Who come up with this crazy idea?

Amazing...

No need to use your room card, any card will do.

My husband and I love to dance and too frequently IMHO the band in the Piazza was playing music most people do not know how to dance to - tango, rhumba, etc. I would love to see some good old fashioned dance music (slow and fast). The kind like they play at weddings to pack the dance floor. Most nights, it was the same 6-8 couples, who were outstanding ballroom dancers, but one night they played some "regular" music and it was packed.

Your opinion definitely makes since. I can't dance at all (unless I've had quite a few drinks, then I'm a star 😉). So, besides dinner time, I must have been seeing dance class promotions. I'd give those a shot if I had even basic coordination and following skills.

On our recent cruise on the Royal the band played "regular" music. I would guess 60's- 2000's. The piazza was filled with lots of people dancing but they seemed to know how to dance… jitterbug, etc so we did not go out on the dance floor. The band was great, loved their music and people danced. I guess it depends on the band and the passengers on board.

Edited by dickinson

:D Halloween was dancing room only. It was a blast! :)

Edited by janetz

I'm getting so excited seeing all the beautiful pictures. It looks so bright. I can't wait!!

I'm excited for you. Those reviews we directed you to on here really do put a cruiser in the right, positive outlook before getting on this beautiful ship. I feel very fortunate to have access to these terrific reviews. [emoji41]

I'm excited for you. Those reviews we directed you to on here really do put a cruiser in the right, positive outlook before getting on this beautiful ship. I feel very fortunate to have access to these terrific reviews. [emoji41]

In addition to Dave's outstanding photos, there is a "sticky" on the 1st page of this forum with 3,000+ photos taken by CC of the Regal Princess which brings back many fond memories of our 6 weeks on this class of ship. :)

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/regal-princess-679/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2202082

Edited by Astro Flyer

In addition to Dave's outstanding photos, there is a "sticky" on the 1st page of this forum with 3,000+ photos taken by CC of the Regal Princess which brings back many fond memories of our 6 weeks on this class of ship. :)

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/regal-princess-679/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2202082

I saw those. Truly impressive. Well, I think maybe it was Royal I saw, same thing.

I tried finding albums like these in the gallery for other ships; no luck. Am I doing something wrong, or this doesn't exist for other ships yet?

I saw those. Truly impressive. Well, I think maybe it was Royal I saw, same thing.

I tried finding albums like these in the gallery for other ships; no luck. Am I doing something wrong, or this doesn't exist for other ships yet?

In the sticky it shows a couple of other ships have photo galleries & hopefully CC will continue to add more ships.

"Want more? We've also added photos for Norwegian's Pride of America and Norwegian Sky, as well as Holland America's Eurodam".

Edited by Astro Flyer

In the sticky it shows a couple of other ships have photo galleries & hopefully CC will continue to add more ships.

"Want more? We've also added photos for Norwegian's Pride of America and Norwegian Sky, as well as Holland America's Eurodam"...which is a ship you're considering?

Cool. Just booked Eurodam for November. Nieuw Amsterdam already booked for March.

Do u have a link? (Pretty please?)

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up eating too much and drinking tonight. Gets me overly excited when viewing fabulousness!!

Cool. Just booked Eurodam for November. Nieuw Amsterdam already booked for March.

Do u have a link? (Pretty please?)

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up eating too much and drinking tonight. Gets me overly excited when viewing fabulousness!!

Here you go...all 3,104 photos of the Eurodam: http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/eurodam-405/

I prefer to save my caloric intake for on the ship and eat healthier & exercise more regularly at home. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

On our recent cruise on the Royal the band played "regular" music. I would guess 60's- 2000's. The piazza was filled with lots of people dancing but they seemed to know how to dance… jitterbug, etc so we did not go out on the dance floor. The band was great, loved their music and people danced. I guess it depends on the band and the passengers on board.

Don't hesitate to get out there and HAVE FUN!! Over the past five years I have taken 7 cruises, some as long as 14 days and have never come back with more than 1 extra pound attached to my hips. I eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want and don't work out, but usually hit the dance floor after the evening show. Lot more fun the fitness room. :)

Don't hesitate to get out there and HAVE FUN!! Over the past five years I have taken 7 cruises, some as long as 14 days and have never come back with more than 1 extra pound attached to my hips. I eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want and don't work out, but usually hit the dance floor after the evening show. Lot more fun the fitness room. :)

My dh came back with 0 extra pounds after 26 days + 3 days after cruise in England. I gained about 2.5 . We took stairs and walked almost every day. Hit the gym about 3x. Ate mostly what I wanted and he ate everything he wanted and as far as cholesterol should not have!

I'm a long time runner ( 12 marathons) and work out just about every day. I use to be a personal trainer and Yoga instructor working mostly with seniors. I just finished 20 days on the Emerald Princess followed by 7 days on the Ruby. In 21 Princess cruises I have only taken an elevator three times.

I'm a vegetarian, don't drink sodas, and generally pay attention to what I eat. On a cruise, I don't hold back, enjoy desserts, have a bigger breakfast than usual with eggs and potatoes, enjoy a croissant and a mocha, and so forth.

When I got on the scale on return home I was 10 pounds heavier than when i left. As I was able to drop 5 pounds in about a week, I attributed it to increased water weight probably due to increased sodium intake. I am currently losing about a pound a week and expect to be back to my normal weight and fat % in about a month.

I guess I just have a different metabolism than those who can go on a cruise, eat and drink what they want, don't exercise and still don't gain any weight.

I'm a long time runner ( 12 marathons) and work out just about every day. I use to be a personal trainer and Yoga instructor working mostly with seniors. I just finished 20 days on the Emerald Princess followed by 7 days on the Ruby. In 21 Princess cruises I have only taken an elevator three times.

I'm a vegetarian, don't drink sodas, and generally pay attention to what I eat. On a cruise, I don't hold back, enjoy desserts, have a bigger breakfast than usual with eggs and potatoes, enjoy a croissant and a mocha, and so forth.

When I got on the scale on return home I was 10 pounds heavier than when i left. As I was able to drop 5 pounds in about a week, I attributed it to increased water weight probably due to increased sodium intake. I am currently losing about a pound a week and expect to be back to my normal weight and fat % in about a month.

I guess I just have a different metabolism than those who can go on a cruise, eat and drink what they want, don't exercise and still don't gain any weight.

My point was - dancing is exercise. It just doesn't feel like it.

I really wanted to cruise on Royal following my ship visit just before it was named in 2013.

The itineraries just don't appeal to me this year so I've booked Britannia for next month. It was the appeal of Royal Princess that has made decide to give P&O another try after a 10 year absence.

I'll miss MUTS and the International café. I'm also hoping I wont be surrounded by moaning old Brits!

MUTS was great, but so was the selection of on demand movies on the large flat screens in the cabins. Movies made available before out on DVD.

And as you know the MUTS movies are added to the on-demand cabin entertainment system the next day which is a good option.

Edited by Astro Flyer