Did Caribbean Princess ever sail from Manhattan?

bob brown

If so, she will be joining a very exclusive "club" this October 11th, sailing from Cape Liberty.

To my knowledge, she will be only the second cruise ship to have ever sailed from all of the Port of New York's three (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ), cruise ship terminal's...the other being the Queen Mary 2.

That Sunday will be a busy one at New York...The QM2 will be at Brooklyn, the AIDADiva and AIDALuna as well as the NCL Breakaway and the Carnival Splendor, will be at Manhattan. I'm surprised the CP didn't use Brooklyn, as in the past, Princess usually gets preference at Brooklyn over Cunard. I don't think either the CP or the QM2 could use pier 92 in Manhattan, if indeed they even use that one for ships anymore, other than some smaller ones....

If so, she will be joining a very exclusive "club" this October 11th, sailing from Cape Liberty.

To my knowledge, she will be only the second cruise ship to have ever sailed from all of the Port of New York's three (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ), cruise ship terminal's...the other being the Queen Mary 2.

That Sunday will be a busy one at New York...The QM2 will be at Brooklyn, the AIDADiva and AIDALuna as well as the NCL Breakaway and the Carnival Splendor, will be at Manhattan. I'm surprised the CP didn't use Brooklyn, as in the past, Princess usually gets preference at Brooklyn over Cunard. I don't think either the CP or the QM2 could use pier 92 in Manhattan, if indeed they even use that one for ships anymore, other than some smaller ones....

FYI, technically, CB is Caribbean Princess' abbreviation.

We sailed on her twice from Red Hook... in 2009 and 2011. Not sure if she ever used Manhattan as her homeport 'cause I think that 2009 was her first season sailing from New York.

That's sounds like a really busy day! :eek:

FYI, technically, CB is Caribbean Princess' abbreviation.

We sailed on her twice from Red Hook... in 2009 and 2011. Not sure if she ever used Manhattan as her homeport 'cause I think that 2009 was her first season sailing from New York.

I am guessing she did before Red Hook was built. She did Caribbean sailings from NY and also Bermuda sailings.

During Hurricane Sandy, we were on the CB for a b2b2b. We left from Red Hook the first and second cruises but since Red Hook was flooded, we had to go to Manhattan for the third cruise. The power was out in the area and most of the in-transient passengers did not venture far from the ship. Because of the outage, the crew had to carry many passengers in wheelchairs up the stairs and boarding was very slow.

The images we saw as we sailed in and out that day are itched in my mind forever. And it was such an eerie feeling as we sailed out the Hudson River that evening to see lights on in one grid but then none for blocks. Less than a third of the city lights were on. And then we passed the dark Statue of Liberty. Seemed like we were in a movie and not on a vacation. Didn't really feel like being on a cruise and felt we should have been doing something to help.

I am guessing she did before Red Hook was built. She did Caribbean sailings from NY and also Bermuda sailings.

Nope... Google is a wonderful thing. :) Caribbean Princess was originally built for the Caribbean trade. She spent her inaugural season there (2004-2005). For 2005-2006, she spent the summer in the Caribbean and then offered Eastern/Western itineraries for 2006-2007 season. She next spent the summer in the Caribbean for 2007, always from FLL. (Crown Princess was sailing from New York for 2007). For 2008, CB sailed from San Juan and Crown Princess from New York. It wasn't until 2009 (like I surmised above) that she started sailing from New York. So no, she never homeported in Manhattan, only in Red Hook.

And, btw, Red Hook opened in 2006.

As Compozer mentions, she has docked in Manhattan. Does that qualify for the OP's requirements?

Edited by RickEk

Nope... Google is a wonderful thing. :) Caribbean Princess was originally built for the Caribbean trade. She spent her inaugural season there (2004-2005). For 2005-2006, she spent the summer in the Caribbean and then offered Eastern/Western itineraries for 2006-2007 season. She next spent the summer in the Caribbean for 2007, always from FLL. (Crown Princess was sailing from New York for 2007). For 2008, CB sailed from San Juan and Crown Princess from New York. It wasn't until 2009 (like I surmised above) that she started sailing from New York. So no, she never homeported in Manhattan, only in Red Hook.

And, btw, Red Hook opened in 2006.

As Compozer mentions, she has docked in Manhattan. Does that qualify for the OP's requirements?

Impressed! I know I sailed out of Manhattan before on Golden or Star and knew that Caribbean Princess eventually went to NYC. Just couldn't remember the years when CB went to NY and Red Hook opened.

Thanks RickEk for the correction on the CB, not CP abbreviation...

And I should have been able to answer my own question, since compozer reminded me of my cruise around Hurricane Sandy...

I was on the Norwegian Dawn repo cruise from Quebec City to Tampa, and we joined the Caribbean Princess and the NCL Gem at the Boston Black Falcon terminal. We were supposed to make a port of call stop at New York, but since the CB was 'stranded' account Red Hook being closed, we gave our Manhattan spot to her, and instead spent a day at sea. It was no big deal for me, as it is home, but many of our shipmates were disappointed, as they came from places like the west coast or abroad, and were looking forward to the stop. When they heard of all the misery being suffered by the victims of the storm, their attitude changed to one of sympathy.