Secret Blu Menu

leehal

On our cruise we found that you could have French onion soup and cheese & biscuits in Blu that weren't on the menu. Does anyone know anything else that is available off menu?

It all depends on the class of the ship that you are on. If you are on a M class you can get anything that is offered in the MDR as they share the same kitchen.

There are also the standards that are offered every day that is also on the menu, not really a secret.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

On our cruise we found that you could have French onion soup and cheese & biscuits in Blu that weren't on the menu. Does anyone know anything else that is available off menu?

I am not sure if it is a secret when they give you a small supplemental menu. It also included shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad if I recall.

Frankly, knowing that one can get anything on the MDR menu is a HUGE perk for us.

Haven't done AC before... was wondering if, should there be something in the MDR we really wanted, whether we had to eat there, THEN go to Blu.

Great news!

I am not sure if it is a secret when they give you a small supplemental menu. It also included shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad if I recall.

Oh, I see, we didn't see another menu. Will have to ask next time, ages away though, 15 months until our next cruise!

Well, we've had some special requests every time, and no problem. I often don't particularly love the vegetables that are served, and there are too few of them, so I've asked for a large serving of steamed broccoli. I've also requested fresh berries in a small bowl (nothing added). Other things we've requested with our meals are a baked potato, sautéed spinach, mixed greens salad with just oil and vinegar salad dressing. Probably other things too. Oh, I once asked if there was some lump crabmeat just sitting around in the kitchen - and there was! And I got a bunch of it in a lettuce cup with remoulade.

I never "demand" but I do ask and if it isn't available it's ok, but they always love to help. I think the chefs sometimes get tired of the same old, same old --- I know I do.

No secret menus that I know of. Just have a pleasant, polite attitude and a big smile and some flexibility and they are willing to reciprocate. I love Blu.

We were able to order Tuscan Grille minestrone and French onion soup in Blu. Our maitre d's rule was if we ordered an appetizer from Tuscan Grille we had to order the same one. After experimenting I decided I liked the MDR French onion soup better than Tuscan Grille's.

Frankly, knowing that one can get anything on the MDR menu is a HUGE perk for us.

Haven't done AC before... was wondering if, should there be something in the MDR we really wanted, whether we had to eat there, THEN go to Blu.

Great news!

This is only on the M class ships. Not on the newer S class since Blu was designed into those ships and have their own kitchen. It would be very difficult for a server to go to the kitchen of the MDR on a S class. If you really greased thier palm or if they really took a liking to you they may make an exception but don't count on it.

Even on the M class it may depend on the server as it is not really something that is required or that they have to do since it is in a different area of the kitchen.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I don't know if it's a secret but I found out on our last cruise (our 6th or so in Blu) that there's a vegetarian menu.

I don't eat meat, chicken or shellfish and many nights it meant I could have something besides the ever-present salmon. :D

Edited by chamima

We sailed on the Infinity in April. You could NOT order from MDR entrees. But you always could order the french onion soup, shrimp cocktail, Cesar, baked potato and french fries. May not be the same on every ship.

Wr have sailed many other times in AQ on S class ships and MDR entrees were not available, so you should not count on that. There may be exceptions, but it not the norm.

Edited by CFCTampa

We sailed on the Infinity in April. You could NOT order from MDR entrees. But you always could order the french onion soup, shrimp cocktail, Cesar, baked potato and french fries. May not be the same on every ship.

Wr have sailed many other times in AQ on S class ships and MDR entrees were not available, so you should not count on that. There may be exceptions, but it not the norm.

We cruised on Infinity last Nov. I was able to order off the MD menu, but was told I could only pick 1 item, either an appetizer or a main dish, but not both.

We cruised on Infinity last Nov. I was able to order off the MD menu, but was told I could only pick 1 item, either an appetizer or a main dish, but not both.

Interesting. Our waiter woukd not get us entrees from MDR menu and one person in our party specifically asked for one. Obviously, there is not a firm policy in place. No matter, we still love to eat in Blu!:D

On silhouette January in Blu

Yes there is a vegetarian menu but it was not offered until we asked -- good options

No entrees from MDR but appetizers and soups were available yes

We have sailed on the Summit twice and the Millennium once since Blu was added. Both times we were told we could not get dishes from the MDR. However, if we liked the MDR menu on any particular night, the MDR will accommodate those passengers from Blu. You can't just show upp at the Select line. The Maitre D has to reserve a table in the Traditional section of the MDR.

I agree that there lacks a consistent policy regarding ordering from the MDR menu in Blu. You just have to ask and accept whatever the assistant Maitre D in charge of Blu tells you.

Interesting. Our waiter woukd not get us entrees from MDR menu and one person in our party specifically asked for one. Obviously, there is not a firm policy in place. No matter, we still love to eat in Blu!:D

Our waiter was able to get us main dish couple times on Equinox. My DW likes black salmon and waiter was able to get it. They don't have the policy but sometimes worth to ask.

I don't know if it's a secret but I found out on our last cruise (our 6th or so in Blu) that there's a vegetarian menu.

I don't eat meat, chicken or shellfish and many nights it meant I could have something besides the ever-present salmon. :D

The last time I was in aqua class, I had ordered a vegetarian item from the standard Blu menu and enjoyed it so much that I actually asked if it was available another time in the cruise. The staff said that all I needed to do was notify the maître d' one night in advance for when I wanted the dish to be served.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

We have sailed on the Summit twice and the Millennium once since Blu was added. Both times we were told we could not get dishes from the MDR. However, if we liked the MDR menu on any particular night, the MDR will accommodate those passengers from Blu. You can't just show upp at the Select line. The Maitre D has to reserve a table in the Traditional section of the MDR.

I agree that there lacks a consistent policy regarding ordering from the MDR menu in Blu. You just have to ask and accept whatever the assistant Maitre D in charge of Blu tells you.

Sorry to hear that this was your experience. I have been on the Reflection and the Constellation in aqua class and have never had a problem ordering any of the "every day" selections from the MDR menu while seated in Blu.

Interesting… When I was on the Constellation in 2014 there were nights that I ordered both the shrimp cocktail and the French onion soup, or possibly the escargot, on the same night without a problem.

Frankly, I think we've just been totally spoiled by Seaborn, where they will make virtually anything (caviar and blini, scallops with bacon brittle, you name it) with 24 hour notice. Of course, just a BIT more pricey!

We're sailing on an M class (Millenium) and usually make friends with the waiters and other staff (waited tables before med school). BTW, are many of the staff Indonesian? (I speak Bihasa, and if we get Balinese waiters, we get amazing service.

Again, thanks to all. BTW, if any of you are in NYC, just saw "The King and I" revival at Lincoln Center tonight, and it was FANTASTIC.

Steve and John

This is only on the M class ships. Not on the newer S class since Blu was designed into those ships and have their own kitchen. It would be very difficult for a server to go to the kitchen of the MDR on a S class. If you really greased thier palm or if they really took a liking to you they may make an exception but don't count on it.

Even on the M class it may depend on the server as it is not really something that is required or that they have to do since it is in a different area of the kitchen.

happy cruising

NOT TRUE. We have sailed all 5 Sclass ships and 3 of Mclass. Each time I/we requested something not on the menu, It was brought to us with a smile. They even made seafood crepes for us in Bistro with a day's notice. They are there to serve you, ask and you will receive if it is on the ship. Remember to tip accrodingly.

NO waiter has ever said no to us when we asked politely. They went wherever and got what we requested.

If the Blu is so fantastic and healthy, why would someone want to order from the MDR menu? The same applies to the Suite DR?

Do they allow us in the MDR to order from any side of the Blu or SuiteDRs?

I think not! LOL

Interesting… When I was on the Constellation in 2014 there were nights that I ordered both the shrimp cocktail and the French onion soup, or possibly the escargot, on the same night without a problem.

Same with us. At times we just order appetizers and soup and salad. We can have as many orders of the shirmp cocktail, or escagot as we desire. No problem. Never, never been refused anything we asked for.....as long as it was somewhere on ship.