Gelato information please

Jo and Rob

Whether small or not it still doesn't compare to any gelato I had elsewhere. Although it is better than the free soft serve, it's little more than the just plain ice cream they serve in the dining room.

I feel the same way & it's not like gelato in Italy but instead as it's describe on the menu as "hand-crafted ice-cream".

I didn't take pictures of just the gelato scoops I had by themselves, but they certainly weren't that small. :eek: They didn't like you very much. lol ;)

:cool:

That doesn't look like the servings I had & whether you agree or not our Gelato's portions were larger & plenty for two of us. :rolleyes:

The small scoops that we had pretty well fill up the small dish they were in.

I feel the same way & it's not like gelato in Italy but instead as it's describe on the menu as "hand-crafted ice-cream".

I had lots and lots of gelato during the two years while I lived in Italy, have eaten gelato from San Francisco to NYC, and enjoyed it on lots of cruise ships. I liked what I had on Royal Princess and found it quite tasty.

Gelato is basically ice cream, but with different standards applied depending on who's making it. I was told that which is served on Princess Cruises was made onboard and was made fresh, that it wasn't trucked in and loaded with the rest of the general food stuffs.

Caribill - the gelato scoops I had were more in line what you see in the banana split picture. Sorry you got ripped off.

:D

I had lots and lots of gelato during the two years while I lived in Italy, have eaten gelato from San Francisco to NYC, and enjoyed it on lots of cruise ships. I liked what I had on Royal Princess and found it quite tasty.

Gelato is basically ice cream, but with different standards applied depending on who's making it. I was told that which is served on Princess Cruises was made onboard and was made fresh, that it wasn't trucked in and loaded with the rest of the general food stuffs.

I'm jealous that for 2 years you got to enjoy gelato & pizza in Napoli but that was probably while you were serving our country & you deserved those things...grazie! :D

The other part of the description for their "premium ice cream" was "prepared daily by our Pastry Chef". My favorite gelato in Italy was pistachio & lemon but whether it's "premium ice cream" or "gelato" on Princess it's tasty to me! :)

I'm jealous that for 2 years you got to enjoy gelato & pizza in Napoli but that was probably while you were serving our country & you deserved those things...grazie! :D

The other part of the description for their "premium ice cream" was "prepared daily by our Pastry Chef". My favorite gelato in Italy was pistachio & lemon but whether it's "premium ice cream" or "gelato" on Princess it's tasty to me! :)

Hi Frank,

Yes, I was in the U.S. Navy while stationed at the headquarters for Commander Fleet Air Mediterranean Naples Italy. It was probably the best two years of my life. Enjoying authentic Italian food on a daily basis was a real treat, so I get a kick when people say that something isn't 'real' pizza or 'real' gelato like I wouldn't know the difference.

As we have all said before: people cruise with different expectations, live different lifestyles at home, and come from a wide variety of backgrounds, including cruising backgrounds. I'm not a cruising snob by any stretch of the imagination - just ask anyone who's ever met me. But I do enjoy what is a rare experience for many; the ability to go on a cruise. I don't complain much, and when I do, I try to either keep it to myself or do it in a polite and tactful manner without all of the emoticons and hyperbole.

You cruel devils are making me crave some ice cream-I have a branch of the Royal Copenhagen Icecreamery recently opened in my home town and WAAAHHHHH! I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY ANY FOR ANOTHER 3 DAYS! I shall be breaking my normal-just 1 scoop for AUD$4.80, it's VERY rich, and getting chocolate and mint together!

I think there is an Ice Cream Bar on the Golden Princess, I'll just have to wait, but as I'm sailing in my late Spring, it should be-tough luck if it isn't, I'll just put a heavy jumper on-warm enough to enjoy some ice cream! I've made a note to take photos of the displays, trying to get a clear shot of any notices-if it's a board hung at a height I might have trouble (very basic photographer) but I should manage a display case all right, and I can preview the shots, and retake any needed.

Crochetcruise :cool:

I did not find the serving of just gelato to be large.

Look at the size of the scoops in relation to the size of the spoon.

891231070123114Gelatorestaurant-strawberrybutterpecancookiesampcreamDSC04190_zpse1199f82.jpg

I have seen your photo before but that does not appear to be the norm. On the Regal, the three scoops were much larger and in a sundae dish because they come with your choice of toppings. The scoops were also larger on the Crown. Interestingly, on the Crown there were containers of chocolate and caramel sauce that you could add to the the scoops of gelato at the IC.

I did not find the serving of just gelato to be large.

Look at the size of the scoops in relation to the size of the spoon.

891231070123114Gelatorestaurant-strawberrybutterpecancookiesampcreamDSC04190_zpse1199f82.jpg

That's a shame because most of the unsold gelato get thrown out at the end of the night & there's plenty left over every day. :( The guy serving it could have been a little more generous with his scoop. I think I would have said something to the server about being shorted.

Hi Frank,

Yes, I was in the U.S. Navy while stationed at the headquarters for Commander Fleet Air Mediterranean Naples Italy. It was probably the best two years of my life. Enjoying authentic Italian food on a daily basis was a real treat, so I get a kick when people say that something isn't 'real' pizza or 'real' gelato like I wouldn't know the difference.

As we have all said before: people cruise with different expectations, live different lifestyles at home, and come from a wide variety of backgrounds, including cruising backgrounds. I'm not a cruising snob by any stretch of the imagination - just ask anyone who's ever met me. But I do enjoy what is a rare experience for many; the ability to go on a cruise. I don't complain much, and when I do, I try to either keep it to myself or do it in a polite and tactful manner without all of the emoticons and hyperbole.

I wonder if that's the same facility that a retired Air Force E-9 buddy was assigned during his 2 years in Napoli?

My hope is to someday spend more time in Italy but I'm thankful to have toured Italy from the Alps to Sicily. :)

I fully agree with your sentiments & there isn't a ship afloat that is perfect for everyone. There are so many ships to choose from during our quest to discover our best option. I try to not sweat the small stuff and as long as I'm healthy nearly everything else is small stuff to me...particularly during a cruise! :D

In comparison to our experiences on a Navy ship, what's not to enjoy on a cruise ship where I'm treated like an officer & not enlisted. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer