First Alaskan Cruise of the Season Carnival Legend May 18-26th 2015

BenjiRodney

Will share all that we saw and did on this cruise from Vancouver to Tracy Arm/Juneau/Skagway/Glacier Bay/Ketchikan/Seattle.

We flew from Charleston WV to Charlotte to Phoenix to Seattle on the 16th, had wanted to be in Seattle earlier, but due to airline schedule changes, they felt otherwise. We made it to our hotel, Hampton Inn and Suites downtown around 715pm. Walked to a nearby pizza place for dinner, then around the Space Needle and finally stopped at a grocery store for some snack to take on the train the next morning to Vancouver. We called it a night as a prearranged shuttle would be picking us up at 545 am to drop us at the Amtrak station.

They were right on time and we got to King Street Station before the doors opened to take bags and issue seats assignments. We purchased Business Class seats and ended up 2nd in line for seat assignments. Got Window seats in the 1st car on the left side that would be facing the ocean on the way up to Vancouver.

Ride was nice, views amazing, will post some pics soon.

They release the cars one by one to help with the customs line. Being on the first car was nice, clearing Canadian Customs was a breeze, you complete the card on the train and hand it to the officer and are sent on your way.

Grabbed a taxi to the Ramada Limited Downtown on West Pender, room was ready, was afraid we would have to wait until 3pm to check in. Nice hotel, would serve its purpose, not in the best neighborhood.

Walked around Robson street, one of the main shopping areas, then decided to go check out Gastown area. Nice quaint charming area. We ended up having dinner here before walking back to the hotel. Called it an early night as the 3 hour time change was still kicking our butts.

We got up, had breakfast, walked around some more, the streets were very quiet as Monday was a Provincial Holiday, Victoria Day. We decided that we would check out right around noon and head over to Canada Place to board the ship.

Embarkation Day:

Worst embarkation experience in 14 cruises. May just be the process in Vancouver? Not sure. There was also a NCL ship in port due to leave. Everyone, regardless of what ship you are going on in directed down a hallway, then through the maze to to go through security, cool now we are getting somewhere. Wrong, then everyone, again, directed upstairs to wait through another maze to be cleared through US Customs. Finally, once cleared by customs, you are directed to the specific ship you are boarding. All in all the process from dropping bags, security, clearing customs and getting our S&S cards to walking on the ship, was over 1 hour. And if you think you need them, they sell binoculars in the cruise terminal. (Hint they are cheaper on the ship)

Sail away would be delayed, don't know if it was due to the 1st cruise of the season, late debarkation? No real explanation was given. Muster drill was at 5 or shortly there after. We had early dining at it was at 545 pm. We had not yet began to move when we went down to the dining room. This would be the only night we ate in the MDR as the schedule on this cruise is intensive and the port days we ate on shore. We did eat at the steakhouse on the 2nd night which was the 1st formal night of the cruise.

YAY! I am so excited to read and follow this review. DH and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary on the Legend in June 2016 and we are anxiously awaiting the 2015 reviews to roll in! Thank you so much! We appreciate it!

We did the inaugural last year. Thank you for letting me live again one of my favorite cruises.

You are not the first person to remark about embarkation. I am sorry you and some of my cruise friends had such an unpleasant start to your cruise. Last year it was one of the best embarkations I have every experienced.

I am looking forward to the rest of your review.

Whoa, those first two pictures are what I call, "Post Card Pictures" because they're so perfect. Amazing! I hope you enlarge one or both of them and hang them on a wall.

Thank you. I was glad that Mr. Radu (Carnival's fleet photographer) was on this cruise. He was very nice to talk to, he even did a seminar on how to take better pictures and how to use the settings on your cameras to get the best possible shots.

The sea day up to Tracy Arm was uneventful. Typical overcast skies, fog, and finally got to hear the fog horn sound. Our arrival into Tracy Arm was scheduled for 3pm, and we would be on time despite leaving 2 hours late from Vancouver. The closer we got into the passages towards Tracy Arm, the skies cleared and sun would shine for many days of this cruise. Here are the first views of Alaska as we got close to Tracy Arm:

IMG_1053_zpswy7magjv.jpg

IMG_1080_zps4zd7vnea.jpg

IMG_1099_zpsnhnsjdsq.jpg

We had our FaceBook meetup for 1230 scheduled prior to arrival. Carnival blocked off Medusa's Lair lounge for us to use.

We pre-booked the Tracy Arm Explorer, we would be told closer to arrival if we would be going down Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm, depending on the ice situation. When we came in 2012, there was too much ice in Tracy Arm and we got to explore Endicott Arm.

As luck would have it, we would be able to go into Tracy Arm, so it would be something new. Now having seen both, and they are spectacular, we did see more animal life in 2012 in Endicott Arm. But being out off the ship, on a smaller vessel and up close to waterfalls and the face of 2 glaciers was a sight to see.

Norwegian had a ship leaving Tracy Arm as we approached.

IMG_1144_zps5vp2qnit.jpg

Here is where the Legend stopped to let 280 of us get off and go exploring.

IMG_1131_zpsygkae5zh.jpg

This is the size of the boat we would get to go explore on.

IMG_1127_zpsgsau7jdd.jpg

Thank you. I was glad that Mr. Radu (Carnival's fleet photographer) was on this cruise. He was very nice to talk to, he even did a seminar on how to take better pictures and how to use the settings on your cameras to get the best possible shots.

What camera do you use?