First Alaskan Cruise of the Season Carnival Legend May 18-26th 2015

BenjiRodney

Thank you for posting the review! I was with you on the cruise - I took pictures at the meet and greet :p - and it was wonderful to go back thru it all with you this way. Your pictures are so good and I loved your choices for posting.

I was one of those that had Alaska cruising on the bottom of bucket list - but fate intervened and Moma had it at the top of hers - so a Mother/Seester cruise was born! And I am soooo glad it was! One of my top 3 cruises!!

Thanks to BudgetQueen and several others, especially Jennifer B, for all the great information and advice.

We did a few things different than the poster of this review, and I will post them below. I wish we would have had time to do a couple of things he did too!!! :D

Just FYI -

Juneau - we did Fishing, Whale Watching, and Wildlife Expedition...And went to Mendenhall Glacier (did the 40 minute walk)... then back to town for Red Dog Saloon and Tracy's King Crab Shack food.

Skagway - Rented a minivan from Avis for 6 people, bought and downloaded Murrays Guide off the internet and followed it up the Klondike Highway to Carcross. Awwwwwwesome! Some people say you can see a lot of the same views as the White Pass Train...of course, we just took our time doing it.

Ketchikan - Island Wings Floatplane to Misty Monument Fjords and back to town for the Lumberjack Show. Never made it to Creek Street :eek:- Dang! Guess we gotta go back!!! :D:D

We also did the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord - definitely worth the money!

Thanks again for the review! Maybe we will see you next time! Gotta take my hubby back to see all he missed! LOL!

Sheila

Next time we want to do Whale Watching and Misty Fjords. Planning on doing Alaska again in 2018 as this year and next are booked up. Hope to do the Vista or Hawaii in 2017.

Hey Benji nice pictures ,we are going on the Aug 4th run and I was wondering if they had a polar plunge for us to take while cruising?

What were some of the activities that might be fun to do while cruising?

Hey Benji nice pictures ,we are going on the Aug 4th run and I was wondering if they had a polar plunge for us to take while cruising?

What were some of the activities that might be fun to do while cruising?

O scheduled polar plunges. The pool under the dome was warm, the other was not. All of the hot tubs were in use throughout. The slides were open two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your review. We were on this cruise with you. We were sure blessed with great weather, weren't we? Glad to relive some of the things we did through your pics and get to see some of the things that we didn't get the chance to do on this cruise. Your pics are awesome, by the way.

Thank you for your review. We were on this cruise with you. We were sure blessed with great weather, weren't we? Glad to relive some of the things we did through your pics and get to see some of the things that we didn't get the chance to do on this cruise. Your pics are awesome, by the way.

The weather was amazing. We plan to do it again in 2018 if we can wait that long. Southern Caribbean coming up in October on the Carnival Breeze and booked the Carnival Magic 12 night cruise when she moves ports next year. :)

BenjiRodney,

Can you tell me who you booked your Skagway trip through and how long the excursion was?

The pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

The Dog Sled was through the ship, but the company who ran it was AlaskaExcursions dot com Great company and we loved the excursion.

The trip up to White Pass was booked in town, can't remember who with, as we stopped at one booth who did not have any more who called another operator and they sent us towards their booth that was close to the ship. We had to go back on the ship to get passport. Our tour was with those from the ship, so it was the same one the ship offered but we saved 13.00 dollars by booking off the ship for that one.

BenjiRodney, can you please tell me how the interior of the ship was, temperature-wise? How about the dining room? We're so used to sailing the Caribbean and walking around in shorts and short-sleeve tops. (I always carry a sweater anyway.)

I understand that this is very subjective.

Thanks.

BenjiRodney, can you please tell me how the interior of the ship was, temperature-wise? How about the dining room? We're so used to sailing the Caribbean and walking around in shorts and short-sleeve tops. (I always carry a sweater anyway.)

I understand that this is very subjective.

Thanks.

The public areas were fine. I found the room (cabin) to be too warm, but techs came and checked it out, leaving a card that stated the temperature was within Carnival's guidelines. I could always go outside if I got too warm.

• 2 weeks later...
I would be happy to, let me sort through some more And I will upload them.

love your photos, can't wait DW and i just booked august 16, 2016, anyone else on this date, 2 days pre and post stay in seattle any suggestion where to stay and hotels

love your photos, can't wait DW and i just booked august 16, 2016, anyone else on this date, 2 days pre and post stay in seattle any suggestion where to stay and hotels

Pre cruise we stayed at the Hampton Inn near the Space Needle, nice location made it easy to get to Amtrak for train to Vancouver. When we got back stayed at Hyatt Olive 8 great hotel and would stay there again. Close to everything downtown and the Monorail to the Space Needle. For the price wish we would have stayed there before the cruise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the review and photos. Frankly, I was having some trepidation about the cruise; so many unknowns. But I'm more encouraged now after seeing your photos.

We will be a group of eight including my FIL who is 86 and he won't be taking long hikes. My wife and eldest daughter won't participate in things involving altitude, kayaking on large expanses of water, animals or long hikes. So my youngest and I will be doing the excursions and we are keen to kayak, take the train up to Roberts Pass, etc.

Still a bit concerned about needs for jackets, etc., since they take up ja lot of space in the luggage but it appears that you were in t-shirts and shorts most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the review and photos. Frankly, I was having some trepidation about the cruise; so many unknowns. But I'm more encouraged now after seeing your photos.

We will be a group of eight including my FIL who is 86 and he won't be taking long hikes. My wife and eldest daughter won't participate in things involving altitude, kayaking on large expanses of water, animals or long hikes. So my youngest and I will be doing the excursions and we are keen to kayak, take the train up to Roberts Pass, etc.

Still a bit concerned about needs for jackets, etc., since they take up ja lot of space in the luggage but it appears that you were in t-shirts and shorts most of the time.

We took too many winter clothes as we did not have enough winter clothes when we went in 2012. Did not expect 70-80 degree weather in Juneau and Skagway in May. But had a blast none the less.

loved all the photos we are booked on the AUGUST 16, 2016 cruise can't wait

anyone else on this cruise, need info on the hotels you stayed in were they close to space needle, cost, location, looking at 2 to 3 days pre and post stay

in SEATTLE.

ALSO BOOKED CARNIVAL LEGEND SEPTEMBER 15, 2015 HAWAII CRUISE

We were also on that Alaska cruise in May and if you don't take coats or jackets Carnival has a huge deck sale where they bring out jackets, scarves, gloves, and other warm gear. While it was in the 60-70's the wind made it feel quite chilly.

I have been in August and in June and never needed more than a sweatshirt. I got a space saver ziploc bag from Walmart and you squeeze the air out after putting your sweatshirt in and it takes up a lot less room.

If your older folks are on a blood thinner they will probably be cold. You might want to consider long johns for them if they get real cold. It was very cold the day we went up Endicott Arm on the deck. My aunt was cold in Ketchikan as there was a cool breeze in June and she could not get warm. I think it had to be a blood thinner making the difference because the coolness felt great to this FL girl! I did need a sweatshirt and our kids finally used their lightweight jackets.

Thanks for your responses. I'm taking a hooded sweatshirt, a fleece and light-weight hooded jacket. I'm also taking several long-sleeved t-shirts and jeans. No shorts this cruise. Wife has insisted I take some dress pants, nice shirts and sport jacket, too.

Gosh, this is going to be so different than our Caribbean cruises.