First Alaskan Cruise of the Season Carnival Legend May 18-26th 2015

BenjiRodney

We are taking this cruise July 21. We have 11 of us total (6 adults, 4 teens and a 7 year-old). The 7 year-old and I are reading this and looking at your pics. Thank you for the info!

Hey, we're also cruising Legend on 7/21. We're three couples traveling together.

These pictures are fabulous. We're even more excited than we were, if that's possible.

Glacier Bay would be new, the itinerary in 2012 did not include this as a destination. We we told that National Park Rangers would board the ship, give talks/presentations and have the stamps for you if you carry the National Park Passport. I brought mine and got it stamped in Skagway and on board for Glacier Bay.

The next several pictures will all be in Glacier Bay. We spent just about all day cruising here and there was plenty to see.

IMG_1973_zpsdy3bmslm.jpg

IMG_1991_zpsrjey2r9q.jpg

There are Mountain Goats in the picture I promise:

IMG_2009_zpsyzxh2vef.jpg

The only plans we had for this port were The Ketchikan Highlights Express and I wanted to walk over to Creek Street.

The tour would take us out through the city and over to Potlatch Park and it's collection of Totem Poles.

IMG_2237_zpsvb0dcstk.jpg

IMG_2245_zpsidxhuopc.jpg

IMG_2259_zpsua9qxmdw.jpg

The first trail is maybe 10 minutes out and back to get a view of the glacier of the falls. The further trail to get to the beach at the falls is 1 mile out and 1 mile back, they say to allow 40 minutes to walk it. I did not walk it.

Photo Point trail is 15 minutes. For Nugget Falls, you are going to be running at a 40 minute recommendation, you need to allow an hour.

You also have expansive views of Mendenhall from the Visitor Center.

Benji....this is so very kind of you and absolutely beautiful pictures. Mom and dad and youngest grandchild then 12 went three years ago come end of June. They did that dog sled tour because niece and dad love dogs so...same wonderful experience and mom thought she would have to sit that one out with bad movement issues but they were great to her and she slowed nobody way they handled it. They had done a cruise there oh almost 20 years previously with my youngest two sisters..one being the mom of the granddaughter.

Being form Montana, I often think I want warmer cruises, but I see this...know of my mother's beautiful week there..(she sadly passed Aug 2 after this cruise and had a pretty rough time after getting home)..and I want to go. There is such peace and beauty and vastness..I know she is happy, with us in a new way and did something that was a peak experience before making her transition...it is a comfort to look at such beauty and know she did that again. You can not describe vast fresh mountain air and that kind of beauty...or the feeling being in it with the ocean too...I love the northwest and now am doubly tempted with Carnival making it affordable..to go further North to Alaska.

The pictures are beautiful and gave me more peace ..seeing it in early season I am told is great with more snow on mountains and the people being fresh there in their seasonal tourist work...can be a great time and so glad you got great weather. And oh my those pink and blue sunsets..oh my heavens..such exquisite beauty and peace.

Very happy they had the naturalists and the decks were enjoyable to sit on with hot drinks served and not too crazy..that covers my wants..LOL..oh going to do it, put it on list...thank you very very much...your photos deeply capture that vast beauty heaven on earth feeling..and the fun small town and Native American design beauty and glaciers, sea, mountains and dog team fun stuff...that made me so happy. They also shared the joy with the nice momma and puppies...so fun to see those pictures!!!!

My dad worked in the Aleutian Islands in 1958 as a new geologist...quite the stories..

Thanks again so much..so glad Carnival makes it affordable on that class of ship..perfect....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Never thought I would get back to Alaska, so glad we did Carnival's first Alaska run of the season. Words can not describe the beauty but hopefully the pictures have provided a sense of the wonders to be seen. I will be back later this evening with more and will try to wrap it up. We are already talking about going back for a third time.