First Alaskan Cruise of the Season Carnival Legend May 18-26th 2015

BenjiRodney

The views going out were pretty much the same as they were going in, expect the ship could not get as close to the shore line as the small excursion boat did. We managed to stick around and sail out of Tracy Arm and I captured these sunset shots:

IMG_1680%20-%20Copy_zpsu9x7jies.jpg

IMG_1681%20-%20Copy_zpsdlwv1fvh.jpg

IMG_1682%20-%20Copy_zpstwwpqsam.jpg

For Juneau, we booked the Mendenhall Glacier and City Tour. Whevalley n we were in in 2012, we did not go outside of downtown and we only took the tram up to Mount Roberts.

I enjoyed the commentary and the views as we made our way through and out of Juneau towards the valley and the glacier.

IMG_1702%20-%20Copy_zps2mzfwdhg.jpg

IMG_1703%20-%20Copy_zpsmqzidn9n.jpg

Walkway at the Glacier:

IMG_1705%20-%20Copy_zpss1mq9ghv.jpg

Food is not allowed at the glacier paths because of bears and the potential for bears, although we would see none this day.

The visitors center offers a film on the glacier and a gift shop as well. We had 2 hours to take in the glacier and trails.

IMG_1711%20-%20Copy_zpsgugtk8r4.jpg

IMG_1713%20-%20Copy_zpscpyj4t2v.jpg

IMG_1716%20-%20Copy_zpssfaqjsjq.jpg

After the glacier we were taking back to the ship, since it was still real early 1130 am and we had until 930 pm to be back on board it was time for a little shopping and lunch.

IMG_1748_zpscnliwvyy.jpg

Inside the saloon:

IMG_1746_zpsexa2g3kl.jpg

IMG_1745%20-%20Copy_zpswpuzh0nf.jpg

I have to apologize, I am using your pictures as my screen saver on each of the four computers I work at, at work. This is my incentive to work! Thank you for updating, I hope you are feeling better, and keep on sharing those great pictures.!

oh, and how far and arduous a walk is it to the mendenhall glacier. DH has had hip replacement, and even though this will be next year-his surgery was last year, and he still is not walking well. I don't want to leave him alone with the bears.:p

oh, and how far and arduous a walk is it to the mendenhall glacier. DH has had hip replacement, and even though this will be next year-his surgery was last year, and he still is not walking well. I don't want to leave him alone with the bears.:p

The first trail is maybe 10 minutes out and back to get a view of the glacier of the falls. The further trail to get to the beach at the falls is 1 mile out and 1 mile back, they say to allow 40 minutes to walk it. I did not walk it.

For Skagway we booked the Dogsled Discovery and Musher's Camp. We booked the first one for 815 and there were only 7 of us for that departure, so it would not be crowded.

The ride out to the camp was simply beautiful.

This is the ship docked in Skagway. For those who book the White Pass railroad excursions, the train pulls right up to the dock/ship.

IMG_1791_zpsuzf4d1fq.jpg

This is the vehicle that would transport us up the mountain to where the dogs would take us on the run.

IMG_1801_zpsy9c4ghki.jpg

The ride up was about 15 minutes and the views through the rain forest were nice.

This is the dog team all hooked up and ready to run.

IMG_1803_zpsxhfabvsk.jpg

The dog in the back, Pipa, was funny she would jump straight up and down, she was ready to go on this run.

IMG_1805_zpsabjgfvau.jpg

Thank you for your most interesting review and beautiful photos! I don't normally check out Alaska reviews, because of living in Canada, when I cruise, it is down to the Caribbean for me. However, I do sometimes think of doing something different Thanks again, very interesting review, and your photos are excellent.

Once back at the bottom, we were giving a presentation by a man who ran and completed the famous Iditarod race, he explained all of the procedures during the race, the equipment used and the care of the dogs during the race. We then got time to hold the puppies. Molly, the mother was very loving and did not mind at all that we were playing with her babies.

Molly:

IMG_1858_zpspbpshrwt.jpg

Two of Molly's puppies:

IMG_1862_zpsgt36btbn.jpg

Edited by BenjiRodney

After lunch at the Red Onion,which was delicious, and shopping and walking around, we decided to see if any of the tour operators had space on the trip over the border to the White Pass, we found a guide and went back to the ship to drop off bags and get our passports in case they would be needed as we would cross the border. (Hint this is the same tour offered through the ship, at a cheaper price, everyone on the tour was from the ship, except we paid less by booking in town)

No snow on the way out:

IMG_1881_zpspoaebpqk.jpg

IMG_1880_zpslf9cxt8c.jpg

We are taking this cruise July 21. We have 11 of us total (6 adults, 4 teens and a 7 year-old). The 7 year-old and I are reading this and looking at your pics. Thank you for the info!

Glad you are enjoying, many more to come today and tomorrow. I Cant wait to do this again, probably in 2017, would do it again next year but booked the Magic's 12 night cruise when she moves from Galveston to Port Canaveral.