Review of 10 Night Round Trip Millenium Cruise to Alaska in an Aqua class cabin

poolwife

Please feel free to ask any questions. We really enjoyed our 10 night Round trip Vancouver cruise on the Millennium. It was May 12 to May 22 out of Vancouver. My husband and I are 64 and this was our 6th time to Alaska. This is a review without pictures. If I wait to insert the pictures it might get done next year. I love going to Alaska for the gorgeous scenery.

This was our first time in Aqua class and we were in Aqua Class, Cabin 1117 on deck 11. We very much enjoyed the location of the deck 11 Aqua class cabins. There was absolutely no sewage smell at any time like previous posters have mentioned regarding the deck 9 Aqua class cabins. I would only choose Aqua class again if the price was right being not a whole lot more than a regular balcony. But I did love the larger roomy shower in our cabin. Loved the shower head.

My husband and I have been on many cruises and this was our sixth time to Alaska. Our fifth cruise to Alaska. One of the times was an independent driving trip of mostly the Kenai Peninsula. I particularly love going to Alaska for the awe-inspiringly beautiful scenery.

This 10 night round trip Vancouver trip went to Sitka, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord and Victoria.

Blu - We enjoyed eating in Blu for its ambiance and being a quieter experience than the MDR. We had no problem with availability in Blu like a previous poster wrote. We did eat dinner every night on the ship. Blu opened at 5:45 and we would get there between 5:30 to 6:00 pm so our party of 4 had the best chances of getting a window table. We preferred eating dinner earlier so not going to bed so full. We are also older (in our 60's) and did not party till all hours. The maitre 'd and the hostess in Blu were very delightful and extremely helpful in all ways and helpful too in helping us with customizing our meals.

Our waiter, Elias and assistant waiter, Yashmanee, were excellent. One night we didn't eat in Blu because we preferred the menu in the main dining room. The menus are not the same. Our service in Select dining was also very good. Blu is supposed to be a more healthy dining venue but we missed some of the items presented in the main dining room that is why we also ate there. Prime Rib was not offered in Blu but was in the MDR. It is quieter eating in Blu than the hustle bustle of the MDR but the food for dinner is really no big deal better than the MDR.

For breakfast - Blu makes the absolute best tableside made Mueslix. Yes, they have it in the buffet but it doesn't compare. We liked eating in Blu a lot but you did have to remember it is an eating "experience" so it does take longer than having breakfast in the buffet. So you needed to plan accordingly if you were short on time. They really strive to please in Blu.

I kept wanting to go back to Bistro on Five for their delicious crepes but never got there. They did raise the price to $10.00 per person but we looked at the menu and that included anything and everything you wanted on the menu.

Alot of previous posters complained about the appearance of the ship. We didn't find any problems. Our cabin was always well maintained and clean and same with public areas.

We really enjoyed using the therapy pool and jacuzzis in the solarium which was an inside area. The pool was always warm although the spas were sometime too hot for use or not warm enough. Was a nice place to relax in the later afternoon after a busy port day or even a sea day. Being in Aqua class we had access to the Persian garden but never got there.

I thought this was a great itinerary with it being a 10 night cruise and I wish that length was offered more often. One thing that would be nice to be improved is going to Hubbard glacier instead of Tracy Arm fjord. The fjord was beautiful and I enjoyed going since in 5 previous trips to Alaska we had not gone there, however, it was very disappointing to not make it all the way to the Sawyer glaciers. They claimed there was too much of an ice flow so they turned around. However, at the point the ship turned around the ice didn't look any worse than what we had already gone through. I spoke to quite a few people that said this was their first time to Alaska and I felt bad for them since they did not get to any of the big glaciers on this cruise. The ship turned around and we did not even get to see the glaciers from a distance. Sometimes I don't think people really study the itineraries of their cruise. Being it was their first time to Alaska and they wanted to see glaciers, why didn't they pick a cruise that took in one of the big glaciers. Strange!

If I am ever able to talk my husband into going back to Alaska again, we will try to take the small boat excursion to the Sawyer glaciers in Tracy Arm fjord out of Juneau. I have read many outstanding reviews of that trip here on cruise critic. He prefers warmer cruises and I prefer Alaska for the scenery. There is always gorgeous scenery to be seen while cruising Alaska where cruising the Caribbean is a lot of open ocean to see while cruising. T

The entertainment on the ship was excellent. Really good comedian (and I don't usually care much for the comedians but this guy actually made me laugh), super excellent singer in Lou Gazzarra, Amy Lee (which was an amazing violinist. I thought I would be bored with a violinist but I wasn't as she was a real performer and was excellent. Also another comedian/juggler was real good. The ship's singers and dancers put on a couple of shows that were good. They were typical. Dancers were excellent. The singers were just ok.

Overall, it was a very nice cruise. Especially liked that Sitka was included as one of the ports as very few ships go there which I don't understand. In fact, the port of Sitka is one of the main reasons I booked this cruise besides that it was a 10 night cruise which is definitely better than the shorter 7 night cruises and yet not as long as a back to back. A 10 night that included Hubbard glacier and Sitka would be great. We had not been to Sitka since our first Alaska cruise in 2001 and it is just a gorgeous port. Was not quite as impressive this time though to sail into as they had us actually dock at a newer dock. Last time in 2001 we were on another cruise line and they tendered. We were in a different location right outside of the town of Sitka. Much more impressive than where we docked this time.

We saw more wildlife on this cruise right from the cruise ship than any of our previous Alaska cruises. We saw many whales, dolphins and porpoises. Also saw many of those cute little otters on an excursion out of Sitka called the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest. Didn't expect to see puffins as far south as Ketchikan, but we saw some scurrying across the water as we were leaving the port.

We traveled to Vancouver 3 days before the cruise. I used air miles through American Airlines and for the first time was booked through American Eagle. I knew it was a smaller plane but thought I would try it once. Usually we had always used Alaska Airlines. Did not enjoy that plane or their policy of making you feel uncomfortable by announcing twice when leaving Vancouver enroute to Los Angeles that "if anyone wants to get off the plane to please do so now". I fly numerous times a year but still don't like it at all and that definitely does not make a person comfortable with flying on their plane. Won't fly on them again. Will pay for a flight before I use air miles for this airline again. The plane also made a lot of weird noises.

That being said we enjoyed our pre-cruise independent touring of Vancouver and Victoria. Our group of 4 rented a car and took the ferry over to Vancouver Island on Sunday, May 10. Was a beautiful ride over there to Vancouver Island as the ferry sails by many small islands. We took our time touring Butchart Gardens Even though the cruise stopped in Victoria we didn't want to rush through the gardens which were gorgeous and wanted to have a slower paced day the day the cruise stopped in Victoria. Monday, May 11, we just toured around Vancouver.

When our cruise stopped in Victoria we enjoyed taking a pedi-cab tour for about 3 hours which toured us around the downtown area, residential area and Beacon Hill Park. Was fun once but wouldn't do it again as it is quite pricey. Beacon Hill Park is so pretty with Canadian geese, eagles and just a relaxing, pretty place. Went to Fisherman's wharf and saw the little houseboat town. Cute and quaint.

Embarkation went very smoothly because we are US citizens, however, I heard that those from the UK and other places had a 4 hour wait trying to get on the ship. Poor people.

Debarkation went smoothly. We also stayed an extra 2 nights in Vancouver at the Blue Horizon hotel on Robson St. I highly recommend it. Ask for a room above floor 20 so you have a nice view of English bay. But you have to have the rooms with 2 queen beds to get the good views. The location is excellent.

We went to the Capilano Suspension bridge. Not good for those who have a fear of heights but a beautiful place.

Our weather on this trip was absolutely remarkable. It was warm and no rain the whole cruise and only a little drizzle post cruise in Vancouver. Did not need all the warmer clothes and rain wear we brought. Only wore my gore-tex wind breaker to protect from the chill of the breeze but didn’t even need my fleece I brought to wear under it or my pull over sweaters. But, I guess, it is always good to be prepared. I brought rain pants which were not needed either, but one never knows what the weather is going to be in Alaska so at least I was prepared.

I would definitely take this ship and this cruise again.

I forgot to mention that we ate in the Olympic restaurant the first night of the cruise as they were offering a 50% discount. It was a great, fun experience and definitely worth the 50% off. Not sure I would do it for regular price though but that is because I was definitely satisfied eating in Blu and the MDR. The service was excellent and very attentive.

One night we made a bad choice for dinner and ate in the buffet. Did not enjoy it. Didn't want to dress up to go to Blu which we should have gotten out of our jeans and done so. Did not enjoy eating in the buffet for dinner.

No, we did not do a drink package this time. Our cruise came with a

$600.00 OBC for our cabin so we could have easily purchased one but chose not to as we are not big drinkers and didn't think it would be worth it for us. We cruised with another couple whose cabin was next to ours and got the same deal because we booked in March, 2014 when on the "Silhouette". The husbands shared 2 bottles of wine over the 10 nights and us wives only had 2 alcoholic drinks total. So we didn't see the need to purchase it. Instead we bought our excursion on it and our Olympic restaurant night and it helped pay for our unlimited internet package we most unfortunately had to purchase. We had to do a lot of business emailing on the trip which a lot of the time made it more of a work - cation than a vacation. That made the trip not as great as it could have been for the two of us.

Interesting that you didn't get to see Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord. We were on the Infinity which left San Francisco May 15 and we got up the fjord to where we could see the glacier. Last cruise in the fjord there was way too much ice in the water.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Happy Cruiser 6143:

What day did your ship actually go up the fjord?

We went up on Monday, May 18. I am happy for you that you got all the way up to see the glacier. Did you get close or only saw it from a distance? I was really bummed and especially since it was such a gorgeously beautiful day I couldn't understand why they didn't try to go farther.

How was the weather on your cruise?

Also how were the seas cruising up there from San Francisco? Were the seas choppier going out of San Francisco northbound?

Where did you stay in Vancouver?

When you rented a car there did you have to purchase any auto insurance? Last year we drove from Mi to Quebec City. At the AAA office when getting our trip tick the agent asks if we and Canadian proof of auto insurance. It is a certificate that you get from your insurance company proving that you have insurance for driving in Canada, doesn't cost anything or is any extra. Your US proof of insurance doesn't qualify as proof. It is a huge fine if you are stopped and don't have it.

When renting a car most CC companies provide the insurance but do they when in a foreign country?

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

timbom - Sorry I don't know who the naturalist was on board.

miched - You have totally got my interest up in this insurance thing. I am going to call my insurance and ask about this Canadian proof of insurance for next time. They didn't ask us anything about it when we rented the cars twice. Just asked if we wanted insurance and that was that.

Happy Cruises 6143 - Hope you come back to answer my Tracy Arm questions.

Happy Cruiser 6143:

What day did your ship actually go up the fjord?

We went up on Monday, May 18. I am happy for you that you got all the way up to see the glacier. Did you get close or only saw it from a distance? I was really bummed and especially since it was such a gorgeously beautiful day I couldn't understand why they didn't try to go farther.

How was the weather on your cruise?

Also how were the seas cruising up there from San Francisco? Were the seas choppier going out of San Francisco northbound?

We cruised up the fjord May 21. We did not get up close and personal with Sawyer as there were increasingly large bergy bits in the fjord as we got closer. But we did get to see the glacier unlike our previous cruise up the fjord. That was earlier in May. I think the captain makes the decision on each cruise based on conditions in the fjord.

The weather on our cruise was gorgeous. A few misty sprinkles in Astoria. Otherwise, clear skies and sunshine and warmth. I never wore my fleece.

Seas were surprisingly calm for being out in the open Pacific. Have had much rockier sailing from Seattle.

If you're really looking for a glacier experience, I highly recommend a cruise that includes Hubbard Glacier in September. The ice in the water will be history by then and you can get close to the glacier. It's quite awesome.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Happy Cruiser 6143 -

I wasn't looking for the true "glacier" experience this trip as we have been to Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier on previous trips.

I was feeling bad for all those people who booked this trip to Alaska as their first trip to Alaska and didn't get to see any of the big glaciers such as Hubbard. Sometimes I don't think people really study the itinerary.

Thanks so much for your reply.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the wonderfully written trip report! We will be on the Millie 8/7 Seward to Vancouver. Wondering if you would recommend private transport to Vancouver airport on debarkation morning or was the taxi service easy to come by?