Recent FOS Passengers with PDP-Does succumbing to extra tip extortion work?

Yes I agree. However there are more people on the ship today than yesterday.

And what seems to be the same amount of servers. And from what I read people aren't happy with the slowed service. If you don't extra tip you're just another passenger that will have to wait his or her turn.

So you're tipping extra to jump the queue, shouldn't you tip the other passengers for them letting you go in front of them, after all they have been waiting patiently and perhaps planning to tip extra at the end of the cruise as is customary?

My original posting was being typed when you posted yours. I did not see yours before beginning my posting and it was not a response to yours. It was not intended to be directed at you or your comments in any personal way.

I stand by my statements and characterizations however.

Quote.

I also believe some are heavy "tippers" to garner favors and priority over others and those exist in almost all situations where someone isn't getting good service and subsequently rewarding it, but putting up a wad of money with the unspoken expectation of receiving better / faster /additional services than standard. That is not a tip, but a bribe.

Sorry but I think you may have offended a lot people with this statement.

We heavy tippers are not looking for anything more . we feel you get what you pay for.

And in my opinion if you don't tip well you are Cheap.

Or you honestly received bad service.

More likely the person is cheap.

FWIW, and I'm guilty of this myself, you might get a different reaction if you chose less charged words. Extortion, forced, herded are more likely to generate heated discussion.

This topic has also been discussed many times. You might benefit by doing a search for those discussions as well.

Enjoy your cruise.

Between the time we booked and our fast-approaching sailing, the drink prices and gratuities were increased prompting us to purchase the PDP. Now I read posts (several) that having a package makes it "difficult" to get bar service because of the pre-paid 18% gratuity. Having been herded into the package by reason of the drink price increases, and with full intent to make it financially worthwhile, we're curious if a $ or $$/drink will help avoid a post - cruise rant of the type others have posted here and in a number of reviews.

In other words, having been forced into the package to make our customary consumption reasonably affordable, must we further assent to bribing bartenders in order to secure drinks when desired? (We customarily do so for good service, but haven't felt compelled to do so to obtain service at all.)

I understand your concerns. I have also read about the difficulties in getting drinks with the package. Hopefully, RC is aware of this and will make the required changes.

So you're tipping extra to jump the queue, shouldn't you tip the other passengers for them letting you go in front of them, after all they have been waiting patiently and perhaps planning to tip extra at the end of the cruise as is customary?

Come on get real?? Not saying ....

Keep expecting something from service personnel and not paying them for it.

😎

Quote.

Sorry but I think you may have offended a lot people with this statement.

We heavy tippers are not looking for anything more . we feel you get what you pay for.

So why quote me out of context when I covered that as well in my statements? I said "If you're handing the money out because you've had great service or you really enjoy handing the money out so be it, that's a different story altogether and not really an issue or anyones business."

Seems you get great service and / or enjoy giving extra; so what's the issue? Why are you so offended at a different statement that you don't feel applies to you (and was not directed at you?). You're a heavy tipper because you are either getting great service, or enjoy tipping heavy, or some combination of both of those. Some other people are heavy tippers because they want favors or priority. Why is that offensive?

Should I feel offended that you think anyone that doesn't give more than standard is cheap? If the standard isn't enough for good and efficient service, what is the point of having it be the standard anyways? Are you saying that anyone that gives the standard amount is not entitled to good and efficient service unless the add more? I don't think that is what you are saying because you seem to agree that the standard amount should cover the majority of services expected and rendered. Or should I just take it that that is your opinion that you are sharing?

Edited by LMaxwell

That is not a tip, but a bribe.

Call it what you want but when was the last time you saw a big tipper posting a pre-cruise whine about bad service. [emoji6][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you consider that package was a better deal based on previous cruise spending of $300? Even if, which they didn't, prices doubled you wouldn't benefit based on your consumption. Just curious.

1st day on the cruise I did not have the package. Five glasses of wine was $59.00 x 7 $413.00 so it was cheaper to get the package but the wine in that package isn't worth the hassle so next cruise I will not be getting the package for sure. I will bring my 2 bottles of wine for dinner and have an occasional drink of the day.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. And while your post did say "forced into", it's obvious what you meant. Royal is, in essence, forcing people who do choose to drink alcohol (:eek:) while on their vacation (that costs much more than a trip to McDonalds :rolleyes:) to purchase their drink packages simply by raising the drink prices AND the forced gratuities per drink by over 40%.

If I'm paying $400+ for a premium drink package on my vacation, and that $400 includes the gratuity of 18%, I'm not inclined to bribe my bartender by tipping more, whether in coin or paper form. My reasoning is simple: I've paid thousands of dollars for this vacation - and another $800 for drinks for two people on this vacation, and for that price I should reasonably expect good service. I don't expect a private bartender or pool waiter. But I also don't expect to have to bribe someone into serving me a drink that I've already paid 18% gratuity for, in advance! So whether or not I drink enough to even break even on the cruise, I've PAID that 18% gratuity.

I've read the threads you've read that say pool bar service has suffered. But I've also read an equal number that says bar service was just fine. I am just going to wait and see in November. I hope your upcoming cruise is wonderful and hope that your service is great as well!

Well said Sherri

So why quote me out of context when I covered that as well in my statements? I said "If you're handing the money out because you've had great service or you really enjoy handing the money out so be it, that's a different story altogether and not really an issue or anyones business."

Seems you get great service and / or enjoy giving extra; so what's the issue? Why are you so offended at a different statement that you don't feel applies to you (and was not directed at you?). You're a heavy tipper because you are either getting great service, or enjoy tipping heavy, or some combination of both of those. Some other people are heavy tippers because they want favors or priority. Why is that offensive?

Should I feel offended that you think anyone that doesn't give more than standard is cheap? If the standard isn't enough for good and efficient service, what is the point of having it be the standard anyways? Are you saying that anyone that gives the standard amount is not entitled to good and efficient service unless the add more? I don't think that is what you are saying because you seem to agree that the standard amount should cover the majority of services expected and rendered. Or should I just take it that that is your opinion that you are sharing?

The standard in my opinion is low. I tip minimum 20% if not more most of the time.

I think it's offending because you said people that tip extra is bribery or just throwing money around. That to me is offensive.

I feel they work on tips and that is where most of their income comes from.

Its not about bribing anyone it's about paying them what they deserve.

Go figure it out take the 18% that you paid and divide it up per server on the ship and yhen decide if you're server will get a fair shake of what he deserves.

I don't even think they get 18% I think it's more like 15% they get and the other 3% goes elsewhere.

Sorry if you can not understand where WE heavy tippers are coming from.

But our servers appreciate us as WE do them.

A big shout out to all the servers out there !!! 🍺

Call it what you want but when was the last time you saw a big tipper posting a pre-cruise whine about bad service. [emoji6][emoji3]

I can understand why someone who reads these boards and reviews would be concerned over getting even adequate service to begin with.

I think it's offending because you said people that tip extra is bribery or just throwing money around. That to me is offensive.

I think you still missed this part then

"If you're handing the money out because you've had great service or you really enjoy handing the money out so be it, that's a different story altogether and not really an issue or anyones business."

Since that above statement applies to you, I don't understand why you are offended at all. :confused:

Do some do it to garner favors or priority? Sure. Are you amongst that group? Does not appear that way at all.

I can understand why someone who reads these boards and reviews would be concerned over getting even adequate service to begin with.

So can I LMaxwell but when one starts with extortion and forced into as an opener about a cruise they have not taken yet, they should just cancel now.

So can I LMaxwell but when one starts with extortion and forced into as an opener about a cruise they have not taken yet, they should just cancel now.

I agree with you as well. I found the premise of the topic to be a bit of "click bait" and overly dramatic. Similar responses would be had if someone asked "How are service levels these days? Do you find that service is adequate for the standard tip amount? Do you find servers that seem to make an extra effort still? How hard is it to get a drink" etc and not just start talking extortion, etc.

I agree with you as well. I found the premise of the topic to be a bit of "click bait" and overly dramatic. Similar responses would be had if someone asked "How are service levels these days? Do you find that service is adequate for the standard tip amount? Do you find servers that seem to make an extra effort still? How hard is it to get a drink" etc and not just start talking extortion, etc.

My view as well.

RCI have priced me off of their cruises. My next one is going to be a P&O.

$14 (£9) for a cocktail is absolutely ridiculous. Hence, in my weekend away I drank 1. $9 (£6) for a glass of wine is still dear, but comparable in price to a hotel bar price here. I had a nice bottle of White Zinfandel in my cabin which cost £4 prior to boarding.

Its the tipping that gets to me. I'm British, would never tip above 10% in fact you have to provide excellent service to get a tip at all here. Then I go on a RCI Ship and am asked if I wish to pay additional tip above the 18% I've just had to pay! Its shocking I tell you!

As has been said, if you are hitting the bars hard "to get your money's worth", the 18% can go way down based on the list price of individual drinks. The wait staff obviously sees the drink packages cut into their customary tip if nobody tips extra.

My solution to this issue is to find a bar/bartender we like, and use that as our evening base of operations for the cruise. The bartenders do give better service to tipping regulars, but where in the world is that not true?

A bit off-topic, and not pointing fingers at anyone specifically here, but for what it's worth, in my view, and from discussions with bar staff, they give the worst service to those frequent walk-ups that wander from bar to bar obviously sharing drink packages. Yes, you may think you are incredibly sly and are outsmarting everyone, but they see it every day and can pretty much nail who is doing it. I easily identified couples doing that every night on our last cruise. Maybe they are the posters who come back home to CC and complain about bad service. Funny how overly intoxicated people make very bad sneak-thieves.

One final thought... Pool bar staff is just overworked, so it can be hard to get a drink there at busy sea days no matter how you pay or if you tip. Harder at the stand-up pool bars to get the same server every time. Royal seems to have cut back on pool bar staff and wandering pool deck waiters. I think that has more to do with slower pool deck service than the increase in PDPs. I wish Royal would increase that staff just a bit.

There's my quarter's worth. (more than 2 cents, cuz I tip big)

My understanding is that tips on your bill bill are shared.

This means that the guys behind the scenes restocking, mixing up the pre-made frozen drinks, hauling up ice, etc. are also getting a share of the "standard" 18% gratuity.

This means that the guys behind the scenes restocking, mixing up the pre-made frozen drinks, hauling up ice, etc. are also getting a share of the "standard" 18% gratuity.

100% correct, plus the crew that cleans the public bathrooms, stairwells, crew that move luggage, and all behind the scenes crew that have some hand in making our cruise more enjoyable

I understand. But they ARE getting something every time I order a drink, even if I have a package, right?

I mean: I order a drink for $10 plus 18% and it gets scanned in. My purchase gets "charged" $11.80 but I don't pay anything because of the pre-paid drink package. The bartenders (and whoever else gets paid by this 18%) shares in that $1.80.

Is that right? So they really ARE getting all their appropriate tips on the drink packages?

I understand. But they ARE getting something every time I order a drink, even if I have a package, right?

I mean: I order a drink for $10 plus 18% and it gets scanned in. My purchase gets "charged" $11.80 but I don't pay anything because of the pre-paid drink package. The bartenders (and whoever else gets paid by this 18%) shares in that $1.80.

Is that right? So they really ARE getting all their appropriate tips on the drink packages?

No, not really....when you sign for a drink the tip goes against a reserve that was set up. RCI doesn't allocate those tips based upon how many drinks you had; they split them up evenly throughout the working beverage staff. :)

From your thread title and comments is seems like you are already upset and are wanting a 5 star vacation for a McDonalds price.

I am basically a non-drinker but have always bought the "coke card" because that is what I drink.

To assure good service when the "system" did not provide an incentive to the bar tenders to fix me a coke I have, for many years, been being extra friendly and polite and tipping each time with a $1 coin.

By the second day, they would know who I was and where on the pool deck I would be hanging out and the roving drink servers would stop by to see if I needed a coke. When I walked up to the bar for a diet coke, if they saw me coming, it would be ready for me when I got there.

I consider this being the "cost of doing business" on board the ship. An extra $70 to $100 over the 7 day cruise was a small cost to pay to assure excellent service and it always worked.

My other choice was always to stay home and hang out at the local "red neck" bar or McDonalds parking lot.

The Trainman knows of that which he speaks.

I would just like to say I was on Freedom in April with the Premium package and never experienced poor service. My preferred bar was the Pool Bar and I would tip an extra 1$ on some of the more labor intensive drinks ie mojitos, but never experienced any decline in service either way....David and the young lady working, almost embarassed to have already forgotten her name, were excellent imo. They pretty much staffed the Pool Bar open to close. Generally they would start making me my next drink before I even asked for anything...they would just look at me and I would nod...that was all it took to get the process rolling. I am guessing it depends on how busy that bar area is. Pool Bar was never too busy, but Sky Bar always looked to have people waiting 2-3 deep to get a drink.