Recent FOS Passengers with PDP-Does succumbing to extra tip extortion work?

I agree with this. To boil it down; if I am being charged a gratuity or service charge automatically (anywhere, for anything) I do expect good, efficient service. Not that the server need to be entertaining or do something out of the ordinary, or do cartwheels or anything; just that if the price includes a service charge, well, then good service should be expected by the patron.

I think if you feel compelled to hand out $1 or more per drink (that already has a gratuity attached to it) just to get standard service then there is a problem with the service and the money is just legitimizing service issues.

If you're handing the money out because you've had great service or you really enjoy handing the money out so be it, that's a different story altogether and not really an issue or anyones business.

I also believe some people feel awkward if they do not go through the act of adding more money when they are face to face with someone, which I think has a lot to do with this phenomenon of constantly tipping on top of tips. The "concierge effect" where some people say "Oh we only tipped $50 to the concierge because we never used his services. Our stateroom attendant was the best ever; we gave him an extra $20". Why did the concierge get 2.5X more than the best stateroom attendant ever for no interaction? Just a "for example"

I also believe some are heavy "tippers" to garner favors and priority over others and those exist in almost all situations where someone isn't getting good service and subsequently rewarding it, but putting up a wad of money with the unspoken expectation of receiving better / faster /additional services than standard. That is not a tip, but a bribe.

Totally agree with you Mr Maxwell. :)

I have been on three RCL cruises since November and had a drink package on all three (Select on the Oasis in Nov, Ultimate on the Indy in Feb, and Select on Freedom in March). I never tipped extra, all of the bartenders were always very friendly and attentive and I never waited more than a moment or two to be served).

On the freedom right now and have the pdp. The past 2 days bar staff have been great at the pool bar and vintages. I do give a $1 with every drink i order whether it be a glass of wine or mixes cocktail. On boarding went to pool bar and had a drink and got a few more by sail away. By today he knew me and I never had to wait to long and asked if I wanted the same. I have had great service at vintages last night and am sitting there right now typing this post.

There is a big debate about if tipping extra helps you get better service. I feel that some bartenders realize that you do give gratuities they tend to make it very easy and make sure you are happy with their service. When I first went to the bar they did not know I was tipping extra but everyone that has served me has been courteous and as efficient as could be. I tip extra because they do a good job and really $10 to $15 more a day to make someone very happy I am glad to do as it is a very small part of cruise costs (airfare,cruise,tours etc.).

Was on the freedom last year for same itinerary and I believe the bar service has been better this year. Will update over the next 12 days as we are on a b2b. If anyone has questions pm or post up and I will answer when I can.

Trainman, what a great idea! I'm going to use it on my next cruise. I worked my way through college waiting tables and working in hotels, so I always try to take care of anyone who is providing a service for me. Additional tips are something that I include in with my travel budget.

So opinionated with no information! Should have been expected. Before you, a non-drinker, spew your opinion, perhaps you should read the entire post.

I don't understand. This is what you asked.

we're curious if a $ or $$/drink will help avoid a post - cruise rant of the type others have posted here and in a number of reviews.

And the person you are now ignoring said that even with sodas, s/he tipped every time, to make sure the bartenders remembered him/her and gave good service.

An exact, actual, real-life-experience-based, answer. To a question you asked.

Why do you think they didn't read your post? Why are you so against that poster/answer? They actually helped you.

Now I read posts (several) that having a package makes it "difficult" to get bar service because of the pre-paid 18% gratuity.

Does that really make sense to you? I mean, as far as I know, they only GET the tips if they help you, so if they don't help you they don't get a part of that 18%. Right? I've assumed that a lack of service (or perceived lack) is because they are BUSIER now that more people are buying packages and ordering more drinks.

Everyone must remember this: you are NOT paying 18% of each drink when you have the package, you are paying 18% of the price of the package!

That's my understanding, at least.

We heavy tippers are not looking for anything more . we feel you get what you pay for.

And in my opinion if you don't tip well you are Cheap.

You feel you get what you pay for despite many people who are not "heavy" tippers getting good to great service anyway.

You self-describe as being a heavy tipper. Then you said you're cheap if you don't tip "well". There IS a middle ground, of tipping in line with expectations, with tradition. And that's not being cheap. But maybe you don't really feel you're a heavy tipper, but that everyone should go along with what you feel is appropriate? I likely disagree with that. :)

100% correct, plus the crew that cleans the public bathrooms, stairwells, crew that move luggage, and all behind the scenes crew that have some hand in making our cruise more enjoyable

No, not really....when you sign for a drink the tip goes against a reserve that was set up. RCI doesn't allocate those tips based upon how many drinks you had; they split them up evenly throughout the working beverage staff. :)

How do you two know this?

Quote.

I also believe some are heavy "tippers" to garner favors and priority over others and those exist in almost all situations where someone isn't getting good service and subsequently rewarding it, but putting up a wad of money with the unspoken expectation of receiving better / faster /additional services than standard. That is not a tip, but a bribe.

Sorry but I think you may have offended a lot people with this statement.

We heavy tippers are not looking for anything more . we feel you get what you pay for.

Or you honestly received bad service.

More likely the person is cheap.

and/or:

you're a bag of wind trying to make yourself look superior to other passengers.....

you are NOT, you are no better or worse than the rest of us.

Throwing your money away earns you no respect [as the bartender most likely says, oh theres the old fool, as he laughs at the stupidity of of some passengers].

passengers that do not bribe are not CHEAP, passengers that do are laughed at and perceived as fools.

If servers expect it, they need to be fired.

I would just like to say I was on Freedom in April with the Premium package and never experienced poor service. My preferred bar was the Pool Bar and I would tip an extra 1$ on some of the more labor intensive drinks ie mojitos, but never experienced any decline in service either way....David and the young lady working, almost embarassed to have already forgotten her name, were excellent imo. They pretty much staffed the Pool Bar open to close. Generally they would start making me my next drink before I even asked for anything...they would just look at me and I would nod...that was all it took to get the process rolling. I am guessing it depends on how busy that bar area is. Pool Bar was never too busy, but Sky Bar always looked to have people waiting 2-3 deep to get a drink.

I have been on three RCL cruises since November and had a drink package on all three (Select on the Oasis in Nov, Ultimate on the Indy in Feb, and Select on Freedom in March). I never tipped extra, all of the bartenders were always very friendly and attentive and I never waited more than a moment or two to be served).

agreed, we were on FOS in May, both of us had the premium pkg, we only tipped extra a couple times, and had close to a 100 drinks between the 2 of us. We went to almost every bar on the ship, most were friendly & many remembered us each time & would bs with us. Service was always good/great even w/o the extra tipping.

This tipping stuff is getting completely out of control.

agreed...I would not have a problem tipping on every drink if the 18% wasn't forced, but when u shell out $800+ for the premium pkg, it's real hard to shell out another 100 (depending on the amount of drinks).

it's annoying to be on a expensive vacation & everyone has their hand out, including the locals in port.

Maybe they could solve this confusion if they just charged the 18% on *all* drinks regardless of whether they are purchased on the package or not. In other words, don't charge 18% on the package and, instead, just charge 18% of the what the drink would have cost if no package was used. That way people who drink more would tip more just like people without the package.

I tend to give an extra $1 or $2 when I get really good service. I'm not trying to buy good service, but if someone makes me feel really exceptional I think they should be rewarded extra. I think the 18% is a nice normal tip.

If we get free drinks (e.g., Diamond Club) I try to tip what it would have cost me if I'd purchased the drink. Actually, I tend to round this off since I don't really know what the drinks cost, but I figure if the drinks are free I'm still way ahead just tipping $2/drink or so. I would also tip if someone gets me a glass of water or some crunchy nuts, etc. since those things don't cost me anything either (thus 18% of nothing is nothing).

In a normal bar where we pay for the drinks then I know the tip is included and I'm less inclined to give extra except when the server does something exceptional. I have to admit, that happens a lot as we usually find the service to be pretty exceptional. We don't drink very much so don't expect much so maybe our bar is lower.

Tom

and/or:

Throwing your money away earns you no respect [as the bartender most likely says, oh theres the old fool, as he laughs at the stupidity of of some passengers].

passengers that do not bribe are not CHEAP, passengers that do are laughed at and perceived as fools.

If servers expect it, they need to be fired.

This statement is absolutely absurd. Trust me the bartenders do not call the people that tip extra an old fool, nor do they laugh at them. Being once a bartender myself I can tell you that we remember who the people are that both don't tip and those that tip heavily. Those that dont tip will wait longer for any service. those that tip normally will get good service, and those that tip exceptionally wll never wiat for service. My experience is from a restaurant nt a cruise ship.

To the OP, if you don't like spending the $800, which I honestly do not blame you, you could always try t go without it for the first day or two and see where that lands you. Since you are in a suite you will have access to CL which serves free booze for 3 hours at night believe. Worse case you look to see what you spend the first night, and if it isnt that much you aved yourself some money and buy the package on the second day.

As far as do you need to tip if you have the drink package IMHO it depends on how much you use it. If you are getting 10-15 drinks in a day, I would say you might want to consider tossing in a tip here and there. If you are only having like 5 drnks a day it probably doesnt matter. Your service will more than likely be fine either way, but it will probably be slightly better if you tip any bars that you are at more frequently than others.

Now I read posts (several) that having a package makes it "difficult" to get bar service because of the pre-paid 18% gratuity.

Don't believe everything you read on cruise critic.

When people are unhappy with something they scream from the mountain tops. When they are happy they may say nothing.

In other words, having been forced into the package to make our customary consumption reasonably affordable, must we further assent to bribing bartenders in order to secure drinks when desired? (We customarily do so for good service, but haven't felt compelled to do so to obtain service at all.)

Short answer: Yes - Go get some dollar bills at guest services and tip more

Longer answer:

Let's say you are going to buy one of those leaf blowers from Home Depot. What size blower do you need?

Simple. Find out what size each of you neighbors has and then buy one with more power than both of theirs.

The same things occurs at the bar. Let's reverse the roles for a second and pretend we are the bartender. You are looking out and you see 3 people waiting for you. 2 of them never tip extra. 1 of them always gives you and extra $1 for every single drink they get.

Which person on you going to wait on first?

So the point is that you are not buying service or bribing the staff per se but rather you are competing with your fellow passengers for attention. :)

Finally, the 18% gratuity is on the package price and that does not automatically equate to an 18% tip on each drink/interaction. It depends on the price of the drink and the number you get in a day. You can do the math and figure it out.

All the snarky comments directed at people who CHOOSE to tip generously are obviously by people who have never waited tables. Threads like this remind me of the phrase - everyone should be a waiter and a receptionist one time in their lives. Teaches you a LOT about human nature.

We have had the drink package and not had it. I detected no real difference in service. We know we hang at the Pool Bar a lot on seadays - we just like the location people watching, listening to music and hanging. We CHOOSE to tip the friendliest (which is generally the senior bartender) a $20 the first day. It is not a bribe - it is a gesture of goodwill and respect and it comes with a smile and friendly conversation. It is a show of appreciation for what is a darn tough job. Throughout the week, sometimes we tip extra, sometimes we don't.

During our Pool Bar hangs, I have noticed that the service is certainly better for people who treat them kindly and respectfully than the entitled jerks who treat them like dirt - with OR without tips.

Just as many of you find it offensive to tip extra, those of us that CHOOSE to do so are equally offended by being criticized for it.

I don't understand. This is what you asked.

And the person you are now ignoring said that even with sodas, s/he tipped every time, to make sure the bartenders remembered him/her and gave good service.

An exact, actual, real-life-experience-based, answer. To a question you asked.

Why do you think they didn't read your post? Why are you so against that poster/answer? They actually helped you.

Does that really make sense to you? I mean, as far as I know, they only GET the tips if they help you, so if they don't help you they don't get a part of that 18%. Right? I've assumed that a lack of service (or perceived lack) is because they are BUSIER now that more people are buying packages and ordering more drinks.

That's my understanding, at least.

You feel you get what you pay for despite many people who are not "heavy" tippers getting good to great service anyway.

You self-describe as being a heavy tipper. Then you said you're cheap if you don't tip "well". There IS a middle ground, of tipping in line with expectations, with tradition. And that's not being cheap. But maybe you don't really feel you're a heavy tipper, but that everyone should go along with what you feel is appropriate? I likely disagree with that :)

Look you have something to say about everyone that does not agree with you😊

Tip what ever you want and think what ever you like.

If you think servers are calling me a fool for tipping good.

All I can do is laugh at you. Because that is the most ridiculous thing I've read.

And if you don't want to tip because you are CHEAP that's you're problem. Or you think they already got what they deserve and you ain't giving another dime. That's up to you. And if you think that servers should not expect tips then let me ask you this, what the hell are they working for if it ain't tips?!

People like you that don't think they should tip extra are looking for a cheap vacation and probably bitch about a lot more than having to hand out tips.

I tip the the porters that Handel my luggage well and I always find my luggage early at my cabin and at the end of the cruise they remember me grab my luggage speed me thru customs and bring it right to my car. And according to you they calling me a fool as they are walking away. Or as people think I bribed him.

LMAO! I don't think so.

What happened is. I just paid the server a good tip! Cause that's what they are working for Tips!

I'm like marci22: I tip $1 per drink on my D+ vouchered drinks.. I understand that the 18% gratuity is calculated by the system when they ring up the vouchered drink, but I add $1 for the service, and they give me great service every night. I would tip the equivalent at the end of the cruise anyway in the Concierge or Diamond Lounges,so it's money I spend no matter where I get the drinks.

What I cannot understand is why people don't consider an extra $50 or so for drinks as part of the cost of the cruise? Why spend several thousand on the whole trip and then balk at an extra $50 or so?

It's the cost of doing business with RCCL, and what we might "want" is not always what we get: perception is not always reality.

I'm like marci22: I tip $1 per drink on my D+ vouchered drinks.. I understand that the 18% gratuity is calculated by the system when they ring up the vouchered drink, but I add $1 for the service, and they give me great service every night. I would tip the equivalent at the end of the cruise anyway in the Concierge or Diamond Lounges,so it's money I spend no matter where I get the drinks.

What I cannot understand is why people don't consider an extra $50 or so for drinks as part of the cost of the cruise? Why spend several thousand on the whole trip and then balk at an extra $50 or so?

It's the cost of doing business with RCCL, and what we might "want" is not always what we get: perception is not always reality.

Your premise is different than the OPs. Your D+ drinks are free and therefore there's no gratuity associated with the drink. When a cruiser has bought the drink(s) package there is an 18% service/gratuity charge, therefore, why should add'l gratuity be necessary. Everyone seems to espouse that RCL should pay these folks a decent living wage--what is considered a decent living wage. Is it $30k, $40K, etc. per annum. These people would not make this kind of money in their native countries, plus they get room & board and other benefits. To compare McDonald paying a decent living wage is a real joke, I almost spit my coffee that I was in the process of drinking.

I tip the the porters that Handel my luggage well and I always find my luggage early at my cabin

Porters are salaried. They also have nothing to do with the distribution of luggage once it gets on the ship. They don't work for the cruise lines and their job ends once they load up a cage with luggage. Then a longshoreman loads it onto the ship. I tip them because they are doing a service and a physically demanding job, but I don't think for a second it has any bearing on when my luggage actually arrives at my room.

After reading this whole thread I still feel the same as I always have. People who choose to tip extra should not be called braggers. People who choose not to tip in excess of 18% should not be called cheap. Personal choice. Plain and simple. DONE!

Your premise is different than the OPs. Your D+ drinks are free and therefore there's no gratuity associated with the drink. When a cruiser has bought the drink(s) package there is an 18% service/gratuity charge, therefore, why should add'l gratuity be necessary. Everyone seems to espouse that RCL should pay these folks a decent living wage--what is considered a decent living wage. Is it $30k, $40K, etc. per annum. These people would not make this kind of money in their native countries, plus they get room & board and other benefits. To compare McDonald paying a decent living wage is a real joke, I almost spit my coffee that I was in the process of drinking.

I think you are mistaken. There was a problem with the bar staff on the ships because they were not getting tipped for serving the vouchered drinks. I believe RCCL started adding the gratuity based on the person ringing up the order, because they are supposed to ring it up.

I have a copy of an assistant dining waiter's contract from about 10 years ago. The monthly salary was $80. They also pay for laundry and internet, and half their airfare. The per annum total salary is almost all in TIPS. I don't care what they would make in their home country, as that has nothing to do with their work on board an RCCL ship. That's like SBC in Texas used to tell their employees "you're lucky to have a job".

So, my (or your) $50 per week extra on top of the included 18% is part of the price of cruising IMO.

I agree with the previous poster that splitting hairs over a small amoint of extra money makes a person appear a bit miserly.

Edited by pcur

Quote.

Sorry but I think you may have offended a lot people with this statement.

Or you honestly received bad service.

More likely the person is cheap.

I also read that post and it is offensive and somewhat ignorant. I'm a "heavy handed tipper" myself. Is it a bribe , no it's a tip and I enjoy giving the crew a hefty tip. Why? because I can and do, end of story....K.O.:)

Before the drink package, our onboard drink account total would be some where between $800-$1200 for a 7 night cruise (and before the hike in prices). Based on that amount, I would be tipping far more with the built in 15% at that time than what I now pay for the 18% on the package. Therefore, I do believe the bartenders are making "less" than if people purchased individual drinks.

I do typically provide extra either with each drink or a lump sum before I leave the bar area (if DH and I sit there for a few drinks each). Those that have taken exceptional care--and I've never had that be the case where there wasn't 2-3 bartenders that stood out above the rest---I generally stop by on the last night and provide $20 to each, which is on top of the $1-$10 I've provided them per drink/round prior. All said, It's normally around $200 extra for the cruise and well worth it, in my opinion.

Each person is different and I don't condemn those that do not provide any extra per drink. You're correct. The 18% is included (at the price of the package, not based upon the price of how many drinks you actually consume). It is divided up in whatever formula they complete and you are not required to leave anything more.

I no longer get "free" drinks since I have the package, but I have certainly received some perks from bartenders. They have gone out of their way to get stuff from another bar, if needed. They will provide me a few extra bottles of water to take to the room. They will talk with me. We've been selected for martini contests and other things out of the crowd. They've replaced my coke cup for free when I've left it behind somewhere. All of that goes to a better experience for me. YMMV--I will add, none of this is expected by me from my extra tip. It is appreciated though. And there is no reason to think a good bartender would not do the same for those that do not tip extra.

Edited by reney313

Porters are salaried. They also have nothing to do with the distribution of luggage once it gets on the ship. They don't work for the cruise lines and their job ends once they load up a cage with luggage. Then a longshoreman loads it onto the ship. I tip them because they are doing a service and a physically demanding job, but I don't think for a second it has any bearing on when my luggage actually arrives at my room.

I was making a point.

OMG! And yes it does have a bearing on when my luggage arrives.

Anyway how would you know what would happen if you don't tip?

I was making a point.

OMG! And yes it does have a bearing on when my luggage arrives.

Anyway how would you know what would happen if you don't tip?

You said you tipped so that you got your bags early. There's no way a tip has any bearing on that since the porters don't work for the cruise line, don't board the ship, and don't deliver the luggage. They load up the trolleys. That's all. I said I tipped for their services and because it is a physically demanding job, it has nothing with thinking my luggage gets special treatment. What happens if you don't tip a porter? Probably exactly the same thing that happens if you tip them $5 or $20.

And yeah, I agree with you on tipping the porters when disembarking; $20 and you speed right through the customs line. That's a valuable service.

I also read that post and it is offensive and somewhat ignorant. I'm a "heavy handed tipper" myself. Is it a bribe , no it's a tip and I enjoy giving the crew a hefty tip. Why? because I can and do, end of story....K.O.:)

Mr. TheTrail, appears you didn't read my entire original post.

I said some people tip heavy because they want to or they enjoy it, and that's great and no problem.

Some others fall into the camp of tipping heavy with no regard for service because they want a heavy pour, or priority service, etc.

If you are in the first camp, why are you offended? And if you're in the second camp...why would you be offended? Both of those types of people exist. If you do it for your own enjoyment there's nothing to take offense to.

And like I said in my first post; 18% is enough to expect good, efficient service (without fanfare or going the extra mile). Great service deserves more of course. OK? K.O?

I think if you enjoy tipping it is great because you are tipping for what you perceive to be good value or value added service. I was driving and ran over a nail. I dropped in to the first tire shop I saw and they took care of me immediately. In fact, they found two nails in the tire but didn't charge me for the second plug. I walked around back and handed money direct to the tech that worked on the plug. He said he couldn't accept it; I said I insisted it was a tip for providing excellent service. Of course he is paid hourly and it's not a tipped job, but I recognized that he put care into doing the job right and taking care of me promptly.

Edited by LMaxwell

You said you tipped so that you got your bags early. There's no way a tip has any bearing on that since the porters don't work for the cruise line, don't board the ship, and don't deliver the luggage. They load up the trolleys. That's all. I said I tipped for their services and because it is a physically demanding job, it has nothing with thinking my luggage gets special treatment. What happens if you don't tip a porter? Probably exactly the same thing that happens if you tip them $5 or $20.

And yeah, I agree with you on tipping the porters when disembarking; $20 and you speed right through the customs line. That's a valuable service.

Think what you want.

However you foolish you sound