Recent FOS Passengers with PDP-Does succumbing to extra tip extortion work?

3$ for a beer on P&O no tip.

6-8$ for a beer on RCCL plus 18% tip.

So the answer is give even more money for service on a rip off beer?

The American tipping system is a complete farse and good service should be included on a half decent wage that they are paid. Not with bribes. Forced 18% tip to hand a bottle of beer over is rediculous let alone pay on top.

All I can say to that is.

You just don't get it.

to all that raise hell about who tips what, or the most. Just stay home and mail that extra money that you would save by not cruising to the cruise lines to be given to the cruise workers. that way you could brag that you gave a 50-75% tip to the poor workers that are being held against their will by the cruise lines so they can all go home to see their family. It is sad to read all the posts about what is the best way to tip or not to tip. Keep these thoughts to yourself and let the rest of us enjoy our cruises!

Think what you want.

However you foolish you sound

pgold128, enlighten us. Imagine one gives the porter a $100 tip. Walk us thru the process on how that bag arrives at the room faster.

I tip $5 per bag, and assume it has zero impact on when my bags arrive at my cabin.

I was making a point.

OMG! And yes it does have a bearing on when my luggage arrives.

Anyway how would you know what would happen if you don't tip?

with LM but in this case have to agree 100%, how in the heck does tipping your porter have one iota of influence on getting your luggage delivered "earlier" to your room??.....:rolleyes:

3$ for a beer on P&O no tip.

6-8$ for a beer on RCCL plus 18% tip.

So the answer is give even more money for service on a rip off beer?

The American tipping system is a complete farse and good service should be included on a half decent wage that they are paid. Not with bribes. Forced 18% tip to hand a bottle of beer over is rediculous let alone pay on top.

your cheap?.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

to all that raise hell about who tips what, or the most. Just stay home and mail that extra money that you would save by not cruising to the cruise lines to be given to the cruise workers. that way you could brag that you gave a 50-75% tip to the poor workers that are being held against their will by the cruise lines so they can all go home to see their family. It is sad to read all the posts about what is the best way to tip or not to tip. Keep these thoughts to yourself and let the rest of us enjoy our cruises!
If you don't like the comments to bad. If they bother you, move along....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you are mistaken. There was a problem with the bar staff on the ships because they were not getting tipped for serving the vouchered drinks. I believe RCCL started adding the gratuity based on the person ringing up the order, because they are supposed to ring it up.

I have a copy of an assistant dining waiter's contract from about 10 years ago. The monthly salary was $80. They also pay for laundry and internet, and half their airfare. The per annum total salary is almost all in TIPS. I don't care what they would make in their home country, as that has nothing to do with their work on board an RCCL ship. That's like SBC in Texas used to tell their employees "you're lucky to have a job".

So, my (or your) $50 per week extra on top of the included 18% is part of the price of cruising IMO.

I agree with the previous poster that splitting hairs over a small amoint of extra money makes a person appear a bit miserly.

You are nuts if you don't think that the comparison to their home country compensation is not appropriate. That is why they choose to work thousand of miles away from their country to improve their lives. I know that most of their compensation is comprised of tips, but your contract is some 10 years old and considered basically old especially with the introduction of the pre-determined 18% gratuity. So what are you proposing that the proper compensation be. When I speak to waiters and others, they seem to be happy and lucky to have the particular responsibilities.

pgold128, enlighten us. Imagine one gives the porter a $100 tip. Walk us thru the process on how that bag arrives at the room faster.

I tip $5 per bag, and assume it has zero impact on when my bags arrive at my cabin.

Yes, please enlighten us. ThirstyCruiser is 100% correct. Your luggage, once dropped off curbside and and the porter given a healthy tip, will go through no fewer than 20 or 30 more luggage handling individuals before it finally arrives at your cabin door. How on Gods green earth is $100 curbside tip going to translate to the guy that delivers your luggage to your door?

We are getting the PDP on our cruise tomorrow AND I will also be bringing $50 in singles for tips. For MYSELF, it's simply a matter of knowing how very hard these servers work, usually living far away from their families for long periods of time, and getting what I consider to be sub-par pay from RC.

I would not give a $1 tip if a waiter was rude or offered poor service, but I will most definitely give that tip to a server who I feel goes above and beyond--simply because *I* think it's the right thing to do. I've never waitressed or bartended but I totally get that that's where they often make their "real" money. I am suspect of how much the waiters actually get from that added 18% gratuity on the whole drink package.

On a 7 day cruise last week on AOS. I experienced absolutely good bar service. I experienced roving bar tenders on deck. Never waited more than a few minutes at a bar. In the shows always had a drink delivered to me. In the MDR, the bar waiter, had my beer waiting for me at the table, and a second one delivered during the dinner without ever asking. For everyport, they were ready to hand me a water as I got off the ship. They all got an 18% tip.

I never understand how people state that the workers are "overworked". They work the same if they were on land. It's their job, and they do it. Of course if they did not enjoy it, like everyone else, they can quit.

I can only say that my experience was great. Never had a problem, whether I was getting a bottle of water or a beer, or a mixed drink.

Last time I looked this was a public message board about cruising, and tipping is one of the most discussed topics. It has been at least since 2002 when I joined. I know the pro's and con's can be irritating at times, but the discussion will indeed continue, I'm sure.

I think if it's so irritating to you, then avoiding these types of threads might help you.

Edited by pcur

We are getting the PDP on our cruise tomorrow AND I will also be bringing $50 in singles for tips. For MYSELF, it's simply a matter of knowing how very hard these servers work, usually living far away from their families for long periods of time, and getting what I consider to be sub-par pay from RC.

I would not give a $1 tip if a waiter was rude or offered poor service, but I will most definitely give that tip to a server who I feel goes above and beyond--simply because *I* think it's the right thing to do. I've never waitressed or bartended but I totally get that that's where they often make their "real" money. I am suspect of how much the waiters actually get from that added 18% gratuity on the whole drink package.

I think everyone is in agreement that the extra tip SHOULD be given to the waiter/barman/steward who goes "above and beyond" but the question is do you have to give a tip to get just ordinary good, friendly service?

You are taking what I said out of context.

What I am saying is tip nothing and see what happens!

Yes, please enlighten us. ThirstyCruiser is 100% correct. Your luggage, once dropped off curbside and and the porter given a healthy tip, will go through no fewer than 20 or 30 more luggage handling individuals before it finally arrives at your cabin door. How on Gods green earth is $100 curbside tip going to translate to the guy that delivers your luggage to your door?

Like I said

You miss the point

Tip nothing and see what happens.

You said, and I quote:

I tip the the porters that Handel my luggage well and I always find my luggage early at my cabin

Yet somehow you have this misguided perception that your bags arriving early at your cabin door is somehow related to the tip you gave the porter. You actually believe this?

I'm fairly new here so reading the hostility in this thread is truly disappointing.

That said it may be worth noting a few points. I'm fairly certain there are a number a people who don't have the drink package and still do not tip. It is still the servers or bartenders job to attend to these people. Some other people tip well, and others only a little. What the drink package does is ensure the servers WILL get something for sure...not a bad thing. I used to work as a food server and also did caterings. I can tell you that I even when giving great service, tips are not always great, which is why I also worked the caterings. The tip income was guaranteed, even if a little on the light side....again, not a bad thing.

None of us truly know if the full 18% from the PDP goes to the bartenders, and it isn't our job to know...we paid it, and I'm not sure how much more rccl should make it our responsibility to know. There is nothing wrong with tipping more or not tipping more, it's a very personal thing.

However, it is my belief, and most servers I knew would agree (and happily oblige, however) that tipping beforehand is most certainly an enticement for better service. Some may call it a bribe, and they may very well be right. It their right to give, and to subsequently expect better service. If you are unsure where I stand after this, that's understandable, as I never mentioned it. Happy cruising, and it's my hope folks don't put too much thought into all of this at the expense of their wonderful vacation. [emoji1]

I'm fairly certain there are a number a people who don't have the drink package and still do not tip.

One correction for you - tip is automatically added to every drink so these people do indeed tip - they just don't tip extra. If they do or don't is a personal choice but they DO tip.

One correction for you - tip is automatically added to every drink so these people do indeed tip - they just don't tip extra. If they do or don't is a personal choice but they DO tip.

Thank you for the correction, clearly trying to type on an iPhone while attempting to gather my thoughts was harder than I expected 😋. I was thinking back on land, sorry.

BTW, at least McDonalds pay their staff a proper wage and turn a profit which keeps their shareholders happy :D

I'm not sure what a proper wage is for staff at McDonalds. I would wager a guess that they would debate this point. On the second point McDonalds is trying to find ways to woo customers back because of falling profit and unhappy stockholders. JMHO