Ultimate Beverage Package now $68 service charge

The complaint is not valid, the deal is still really good. some people just aren't happy unless they find something to complain about it's sad really. I hope I'm not on a cruise with any people like that, I cruise to have fun not to find reasons to complain. the complainers got to be people north of 40.

North of 40? I doubt it. When you reach that milestone you may find that these issues are really insignificant and not worth complaining about.

I think it's still a great deal.

You have to drink all day for the package to make sense.

We keep track of our alcoholic tab for cruises and average about $500 for two for 14 days.

Now we spend even less, since we are elite and enjoy the happy hour.

We drink the ship's tapwater and don't buy specialty coffee, etc.

We keep track of our alcoholic tab for cruises and average about $500 for two for 14 days.

Actually you have calculate if you will drink more than what one of the other offers are worth. Like if you are going to choose the shore excursion one and have 3 ports...are you going to drink (soda or alcohol) more than using 3 ports worth of shore excursions. If not then it's not worth it for you, if you are, then it's worth it. I think it is all up to each families needs and wants. I don't drink a lot but will have a couple a day plus sodas. My husband doesn't normally drink much but he likes to have a few on cruises. On our 4 day cruise last year, with tips he spent over $300 on drinks. He got some more expensive options rather than just a beer, though he did have one of those here and there. He also got in the habit of buying me drinks he thought I would like, and I didn't so they were wasted. With a deal like this...who cares if you don't like it.

Again it just depends on what your needs are. We will not drink more because it is free, but we may try a few more things we never would normally and not feel guilty if we don't like them.

The complaint is not valid, the deal is still really good.

Our upcoming Sky cruise we booked for 229 per person with UBP included. Gratuity DSC will be $52 per person. If we were charged the package gratuity that is about another $40 per person for 4 days.

So over $180 in gratuities for a 4 day cruise. when taken in context, over $90 in service charges for a $229 fare is a significant percentage.

now that Sky is going all inclusive next year people will have to factor that into their booking. It's only a deal if you drink enough to make it worthwhile. If you only have 1 or 2 a day it isn't such a deal.

So it's certainly a valid topic where basically the gratuity per person per day on the Sky will be about $23. That's more than any full luxury line.

Just a different perspective.

For 136$ for 2 people comes to 12 drinks being around $11.... Which is 6 per person on a 7 day cruise with the promo. That's not even one drink per day. My bar bill runs high some cruises and lower others but usually more than 136 for the two of us.

What is elite? You get free alcohol being elite? Never heard of that. I want to be elite.

For 136$ for 2 people comes to 12 drinks being around $11.... Which is 6 per person on a 7 day cruise with the promo. That's not even one drink per day. My bar bill runs high some cruises and lower others but usually more than 136 for the two of us.

What is elite? You get free alcohol being elite? Never heard of that. I want to be elite.

I'm guessing poster is talking about being Elite on Celebrity where there is a nightly cocktail party for a couple of hours.

So it's certainly a valid topic where basically the gratuity per person per day on the Sky will be about $23. That's more than any full luxury line.

It would be a valid topic if there were any indication whatsoever that NCL was planning on charging an extra gratuity for Sky passengers who will have the UBP included in their base fare. For the moment this is not happening, and they cannot raise the final payment balance of the many people who have already booked Sky cruises for 2016.

Anyway, this thread is about the June Freestyle Choice promotion, and Sky cruises from 2016 onward are specifically excluded from that offer.

It would be a valid topic if there were any indication whatsoever that NCL was planning on charging an extra gratuity for Sky passengers who will have the UBP included in their base fare. For the moment this is not happening, and they cannot raise the final payment balance of the many people who have already booked Sky cruises for 2016.

Anyway, this thread is about the June Freestyle Choice promotion, and Sky cruises from 2016 onward are specifically excluded from that offer.

Oh I thought the gratuity charged was for all UBP given by the company. Did not realize it only applied to current June promo UBP

There is absolutely zero evidence that this has ever happened has ever been considered or will ever happen going forward.

But don't let facts stop you... go ahead and say whatever you want.

Just because historically a certain policy has been followed doesn't make it fact going forward.

Things can and do change and they can be made retroactive if so desired by the company and that is a true fact.

Edited by Out to sea!

Just because historically a certain policy has been followed doesn't make it fact going forward.

Things can and do change and they can be made retroactive if so desired by the company and that is a true fact.

So let's all go ahead and start whining and complaining, just in case.

Our upcoming Sky cruise we booked for 229 per person with UBP included. Gratuity DSC will be $52 per person. If we were charged the package gratuity that is about another $40 per person for 4 days.

So over $180 in gratuities for a 4 day cruise. when taken in context, over $90 in service charges for a $229 fare is a significant percentage.

now that Sky is going all inclusive next year people will have to factor that into their booking. It's only a deal if you drink enough to make it worthwhile. If you only have 1 or 2 a day it isn't such a deal.

Just a different perspective.

Who goes on a cruise and only drinks one or two drinks a day?

I do, that why I don't buy a drink plan, lol. I don't need to be drunk, I just like one or two glasses of wine and /or alcoholic drink a day with dinner or lunch. Rest of my liquid refreshment is water, coffee or tea; not much of soda / juice / flavor water person, lost the taste for sweets everyday years ago.

Wow....so glad we booked when we did!! We'll be headed to Bermuda on the Breakaway next week with an aft balcony and the UBP....(booked the first time around).....

I was just asking this same question a few days ago on another thread....'Will we be charged 18% gratuity on the value of the UBP?' (the answer was no) ....I'm going to hold my breath that NCL doesn't back peddle on the original deal.....it may not be a deal-breaker for some, but it may have been a factor in which 'option' to choose for others....

We also snagged a Deluxe Owners Suite on the Dawn for next year covered under the original package....(at an incredible price!!)...the same cabin now is $900 more with less included....:rolleyes:

Me! That's why I couldn't justify even the gratuity with the free UBP. If I have 2 drinks a day, which is what I would average, I would be tipping about $5 a drink based on the gratuities they are charging me. I wouldn't mind tipping up to $2 a drink but on land I never tip more than $2 a drink! That is just getting absurd. IMO.

We spend $500 for two for two weeks. With that we drink about 9 bottles of wine at $32 each and still buy beers and other drinks as well.

Of course, now we are elite and spend even less than $500.

I booked my cruise last week. If I called to try and get the deal after the fact what would be my chances of getting the 'free' UBP added?

As long as you are not past final payment, it should not be a problem. Check to see if the price is still the same and remember they will add the 18% gratuity to the total price of your cruise. Call whoever you booked with and ask.

Me! That's why I couldn't justify even the gratuity with the free UBP. If I have 2 drinks a day, which is what I would average, I would be tipping about $5 a drink based on the gratuities they are charging me. I wouldn't mind tipping up to $2 a drink but on land I never tip more than $2 a drink! That is just getting absurd. IMO.

If the tipping is absurd, how absurd is the price of the drinks? :D

It really doesn't matter if you over-tip, because the drinks are free. You've got to look at the bottom line at the end of the cruise, which way you would spend less money. Buying drinks individually and tipping the amount you think reasonable, or getting free drinks and over-tipping.

You also need to consider how much you would save by taking some of the other offers instead of the UBP.

We were fortunate and booked a couple of cruises when the tips included promo was being offered, but some of my family may want to go with us so we are studying these new promos with them.